Non-motoring > Paul Gascoigne Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 36

Paul Gascoigne - VxFan
Isn't it about time we just let this waste of space drink himself to death?

Just how many chances do you give someone?
 Paul Gascoigne - Ian (Cape Town)
'national treasure'.

Observe the hypocrisy around George Best - the media used to report almost daily about his brilliant capacity for booze, and openly encouraged it in some instances. Then it all went pear shaped.
 Paul Gascoigne - Armel Coussine
>> let this waste of space drink himself to death?

He's doing his best to do that himself. I feel you are being a bit harsh Dave... he's a vulnerable, very childish individual with a God-given talent, probably now much depleted, and behavioural problems that include alcoholism.

I agree though that you wouldn't want him in your sitting room after a night out with the lads. Or at any time really. But that applies to a lot of people, many of them admirable in their way.
 Paul Gascoigne - Ted

Alex Higgins joins the list as well. Highly talented but couldn't cope.

Sad

Ted
 Paul Gascoigne - Alanovich
>>
>> Alex Higgins

When I was 12, he told me to eff off out of his way when coming out of Reading Hexagon after an exhibition match against Steve Davis.
 Paul Gascoigne - No FM2R
Higgins was unpleasant. Don't know about Best & Gascoigne - although Gascoigne's frequent assault charges, often against women, would seem to be a clue.

However, they are/were *only* sportsmen. Talented without doubt, but largely unsuccessful. And since they became unsuccessful at the only thing they were any good at, I don't understand the fascination years later.

But as long as it sells newspapers, we're destine dot hear every last moment.
 Paul Gascoigne - Zero
>> Don't know about Best & Gascoigne

Unpleasant and Unpleasant.
 Paul Gascoigne - Focusless
>> And since they became
>> unsuccessful at the only thing they were any good at, I don't understand the fascination
>> years later.

He (Gascoigne) scored loads of high quality goals for his country against top international competition. Well one quite good one against Scotland anyway.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0NT6aUwN8c
Last edited by: Focusless on Mon 5 Aug 13 at 16:17
 Paul Gascoigne - Zero
>> >> And since they became
>> >> unsuccessful at the only thing they were any good at, I don't understand the
>> fascination
>> >> years later.
>>
>> He (Gascoigne) scored loads of high quality goals for his country against top international competition.
>> Well one quite good one against Scotland anyway.
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0NT6aUwN8c

And he does things like this

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyX_af6Rm3k

He is a complete waste of genes.
 Paul Gascoigne - Meldrew
Michael Parkinson was not that impressed and wrote, roughly " PG can at least serve a useful purpose to our children, acting as an example of the dangers of talking on an empty head"
 Paul Gascoigne - R.P.
Sounds pretty straight talking.
 Paul Gascoigne - Crankcase
Since we've mentioned Higgins, might I recommend to the house this book:

www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?an=rafferty&bt.x=0&bt.y=0&sts=t&tn=the+cruel+game

It was written in the mid eighties and captures the flavour of the times in the snooker world beautifully, from the World Championships and what the players were really like, to playing for your supper in Butlins.
>> captures the flavour of the times in the snooker world beautifully

Just seeing that written down makes my heart sink. No offence Crankers but I think I'll stick to the classics of world literature and the other usual schlock.
 Paul Gascoigne - Falkirk Bairn
First saw him in 1989, in the flesh so to speak - he & the then GF were on a flight from Newcastle to Faro - he was staying in the big new hotel.

I was going to a flat near Albufeira with the wife & 3 kids.

In 1989 he had the world at his feet. Now, health wise, he is on his kneesand the outlook looks bleak at best.
 Paul Gascoigne - R.P.
Surely Gasgoine's former employers have some sort of duty of care to him. I know a little about him, seems slightly deranged these days - didn't he offer to go an negotiate with that idiot Raoul Moat ?
 Paul Gascoigne - Zero
>> Surely Gasgoine's former employers have some sort of duty of care to him.

Do they? Do yours to you? My former employers don't give a Rats ass about me.
 Paul Gascoigne - Ted

My friend and neighbour had a wedding car business in the 80s. He supplied the cars for Higgins' wedding.........never got paid to this day !

I met Bestie a few times, his boutique, Edwardia, was on my beat in the 'Carnaby St ' days of Manchester. I had my wedding suit made there in 1969 although I don't suppose George did much of the sewing ! He was ok, might have been different in drink. Lived round the corner when in lodgings in the early Man U days.

Ted
 Paul Gascoigne - Meldrew
Well his former colleagues clubbed together to get him to some high profile rehab in USA, which has been back from for a few weeks and it hasn't done him much good, it appears
 Paul Gascoigne - Robin O'Reliant
Some people just can't be helped. Best, Higgins and now it seems Gascoigne were incurable addicts destined for an early grave. People from poor backgrounds don't always cope with sudden fame and wealth, as many a rock star has demonstrated.
Last edited by: Robin Regal on Mon 5 Aug 13 at 18:45
 Paul Gascoigne - devonite
There's another in today's paper as well! - Kenny Sansom, formerly of arsenal. Alcoholism must seem be the answer once their career ends - boredom and wealth = not good partners!
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 5 Aug 13 at 19:47
 Paul Gascoigne - Zero
>> There's another in today's paper as well! - Kenny Sansom

He was an Alcoholic while he was still playing and not bored. Heavy drinking was endemic in football in the old days.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 5 Aug 13 at 19:47
>> People from poor backgrounds don't always cope with sudden fame and wealth, as many a rock star has demonstrated.

But in reality people from rich and privileged backgrounds can be just as bad, as endless historical anecdotes going right up to the present day entertainingly confirm. Ample funds, no convincingly authoritative guidance and not enough to do can be quite harmful to someone who in one way or another is a spoilt brat.
 Paul Gascoigne - -
Last time i watched a police fly on the wall program i saw a young policewoman trying in vain to talk sense into a half wit drunk lout...how i didn't brick the telly i shall never know, found meself bellowing at the copper ''why are you wasting your breath just chuck the twerp (insert you own actual word) in the black maria''.

Why do people waste a single moment of their valuable time on fools who are alcoholic dependent, you can't reason with them, they are not worth a single split second of anyones time, they live for alcohol and once over the buzz make everyones life a misery around them until the next fix is imminent.

Other boozers think they're great of course, ''life and soul of the party, great fun''...not when you live with them and they run out of booze or once they go beyond the enjoying it stage into the depressive endless rant, obnoxious creatures who seldom take responsibility for their actions....you might have guessed by now both SWM and i have alcoholics in our past and endlessly thankful to see the back of them.
>> Last time i watched a police fly on the wall program i saw a young
>> policewoman trying in vain to talk sense into a half wit drunk lout...how i didn't
>> brick the telly i shall never know, found meself bellowing at the copper ''why are
>> you wasting your breath just chuck the twerp (insert you own actual word) in the
>> black maria''.
>>
>>
I strongly suspect that how the police treat these types when there is a camera present is a lot different to when there's not.
 Paul Gascoigne - Dave_
>> rehab in USA, which has been back from for a few weeks and it hasn't done him much good, it appears

The assault on the railway guard was a month ago. More recently than that, the Sun carried a front-page picture of him with the words "Do Not Buy This Man A Drink". Haven't heard of him decking anyone since then.

Fined for assault and D&D after an incident in Stevenage. How humiliating - Stevenage of all places.
 Paul Gascoigne - Zero

>> Fined for assault and D&D after an incident in Stevenage. How humiliating - Stevenage of
>> all places.

What else is there to do there?
 Paul Gascoigne - DP
I watched a family member drink himself to death over the space of 30 years.

Alcoholism is a disease. Addiction is cruel.

I'm sure like most alcoholics, if Gascoigne could fast forward from 20 years ago to now, and take a look at himself, he would be mortified.
 Paul Gascoigne - Manatee
Funny thing alcohol. I love beer, and wine, and whisky occasionally. But I dislike getting or being drunk. I am perhaps lucky too, in that it makes me feel poorly in fairly moderate quantities.

A couple of pints is a treat to me, maybe three if it's the weaker stuff that I prefer. It ceases to be a treat for me if I drink every day - another stroke of good fortune.

But I have seen some fairly serious drinkers apparently thrive on it, some to quite advanced ages. There's always going to be a few who manage it, but they often, at least the really dedicated ones who don't get home for tea so don't eat much either, seem to avoid obesity which might help.

I think it probably has to do with genes or physiology in some way. I sense that if I drank anything like some of the regulars in my local, I'd be gone in 3 or 4 years.

I can't despise Gasoigne, only feel sorry for him - it is an illness and he knows it, I'm sure. He's a very messed up bloke.
>>
>> I'm sure like most alcoholics, if Gascoigne could fast forward from 20 years ago to
>> now, and take a look at himself, he would be mortified.
>>

But he'd probably still end up the same, because like many addicts he'd feel he could have just a social drink and control it. The nature of addiction in most people means they have no control over their intake and the only answer is complete abetension.

I speak as a smoker who quit for two years, thought I'd beaten it and then thought one cigarette every other day wouldn't do any harm.

Ho Hum.
Last edited by: Robin Regal on Tue 6 Aug 13 at 11:35
 Paul Gascoigne - Manatee
I might be addicted to tea, or something in it. I decided randomly to stop drinking it on Friday, in case about four pints a day turns out to be bad for you.

I had very achy limbs on Saturday to the extent that I took paracetamol to get to sleep. Ditto Sunday, though less painful.

I've compromised on green tea for a bit, reusing the leaves Chinese style.
 Paul Gascoigne - Dog
You could try some Lunyun White Downy, man a'tea, it's a white tea with an exquisite taste, hard to find though.
 Paul Gascoigne - Alanovich
>> Lunyun

Isn't that what they call the Capital down your way?
 Paul Gascoigne - Crankcase
>> You could try some Lunyun White Downy, man a'tea, it's a white tea with an
>> exquisite taste, hard to find though.

AKA Lin Yun White Downy, I think, which has a few hits, Dog.
 Paul Gascoigne - Dog
>>Isn't that what they call the Capital down your way?

Very good vić , you'll go far (the further the better!)

>>AKA Lin Yun White Downy

Is it Cc, I didn't know that, I usually get it from www.tea-and-coffee.com/lunyun-white-downy-tea/p119
although the last lot came from www.cornishteaandcoffee.com/

We have it every morning (and the tea!)
 Paul Gascoigne - AnotherJohnH
>> I'm sure like most alcoholics, if Gascoigne could fast forward from 20 years ago to now,
>> and take a look at himself, he would be mortified.

You think he'll survive to age 66?

I'd don't, on his present form.
 Paul Gascoigne - Dog
>>You think he'll survive to age 66?

Yes, but his Liver wont.
 Paul Gascoigne - Meldrew
Maybe, like Best, he will get one and destroy it by keeping drinking? I hope not
Latest Forum Posts