Non-motoring > BA Flight Squawked an Emergency. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 45

BA Flight Squawked an Emergency. - Zero
BAW25 Boeing 747 LHR to Kong Kong, has just declared an emergency, and is doing strange circular routes over the north sea off Essex, dumping fuel maybe.
 BA Flight Squawked an Emergency. - Meldrew
That'll be a lot of fuel! Birdstrike may be?
 BA Flight Squawked an Emergency. - Kevin
>BAW25 Boeing 747 LHR to Kong Kong, has just declared an emergency,

Gorilla on-board?

;-)
Yes could be a galley problem.

Still flying circular patterns off Southend at 13k feet.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 5 Aug 13 at 20:39
And if you watch his speed it looks like there's a 50kt westerly at 13,000ft.
Now inbound Heathrow.
 BA Flight Squawked an Emergency. - MD
Your info is good!
 BA Flight Squawked an Emergency. - R.P.
Flight Radar 24 ?
www.flightradar24.com/BAW25
Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 5 Aug 13 at 21:01
correct

BA Flight Squawked an Emergency. - Jetski
Great fun.
 BA Flight Squawked an Emergency. - Dave_
Looks like it's coming back to LHR.
 BA Flight Squawked an Emergency. - sherlock47
Now coming in to LHR currently over Ingatestone at 8000ft -Essex dwellers duck?
or grouse
Can't be anything much with all that other activity around it.
Just got it on Heathrow approach 120.4 Speedbird 25
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 5 Aug 13 at 21:09

BBC news reports that BA cannot confirm nature of problems, news conference expected in next few minutes.
Speedbird 25 Heathrow tower 118.7
>> BBC news reports that BA cannot confirm nature of problems

Twitter suggests landing gear problem, fuel dumped over N Sea.
They seem to have cleared all traffic from behind it temporarily, but did not give any real priority to land it. Also flew it all over North & East London!
 BA Flight Squawked an Emergency. - Manatee
Unable to retract gear?
It is on the ground and subsequent flights are now coming in to LHR, so presumably in one piece!
"Minor technical fault" it says. Pax being transferred to 747 as BA27 to depart at 2215. Phew.
Excitement over, move along, nothing to see here.
 BA Flight Squawked an Emergency. - Armel Coussine
Problemash techichash... an announcement to strike terror into any passenger's heart. Glad they got away with it, by dint of polluting the Thames estuary with a layer of paraffin.

The upside is that there should be a reduction in the incidence of malaria.

But don't worry, it won't last long.

:o}
>Excitement over, move along, nothing to see here.

I want my money back!

I was expecting Snakes on a Plane or something.
 BA Flight Squawked an Emergency. - Manatee
Some speculation here that the nose leg locking in might have been left in.

That would require an error by ground crew and a failed check by the pilot(s), so sounds unlikely...

www.pprune.org/rumours-news/520742-ba25-squawking-7700-a.html
 BA Flight Squawked an Emergency. - Bigtee
Zero,

Do you monitor the guard channel 121.500 mhz?
Last edited by: Bigtee on Tue 6 Aug 13 at 08:52
 BA Flight Squawked an Emergency. - AnotherJohnH
>> Do you monitor the guard channel 121.500 mhz?

most likely pro version of flightradar24 giving squawk 7700, as mentioned here

tinyurl.com/car4p-previous
>> Zero,
>>
>> Do you monitor the guard channel 121.500 mhz?

No, I have the pro version of Flight Radar 24 on my iphone, and it alerts me to every emergency squawk. I then check its route and if all seems ok, ignore it. Last night when I spotted the route deviation and then the circular pattern it was clear it would be a return home jobbie.
 BA Flight Squawked an Emergency. - sooty123
>> Some speculation here that the nose leg locking in might have been left in.
>>
>> That would require an error by ground crew and a failed check by the pilot(s),
>> so sounds unlikely...

Not the nose leg ground lock, but I have seen a pin left in. 3 people missed it, 'last chance look' in the tower spotted it whilst taxing.
I am ashamed to admit this but 50 years ago I did this in a Canberra. The aircraft was prepped, I did my walk round and missed the nose wheel pin and so had the groundcrew. Took off, couldn't get the gear up, landed when I had burned off fuel, dumping not available, and by the time I had shutdown and looked at the nosewheel the pin had gone! Ground Crew had whipped it out but that turned it into a mechanical failure and that meant the aircraft had to be put in the hangar, put on jacks, and retraction checks done. All to save their faces and that of a very spotty student pilot. Thanks, whoever you were!

Thread drift! In 1965 a friend of mine managed to cut a power cable, one of the 11kVolt ones on telegraph poles, flying a Gnat in Wales. Power cut, complaint to the RAF Police, but, before they they arrived to check all the aircraft that had been airborne at the time, the aircraft involved had been put in the hangar and resprayed (there was visible damage on the leading edge) overnight at a cost to the pilot of a "Slab" of 24 beers! Those were the days!
 BA Flight Squawked an Emergency. - Fursty Ferret
I believe that on one of a particularly orange carriers' inauguration flights to a new airport something similar happened. On board were the CEO, local mayor, local celebrities, champagne, cake etc. Sadly, not on board were the gear pins.
Sod's Law innit FF?
 BA Flight Squawked an Emergency. - henry k
Another airline having a beef about landing gear !

www.nycaviation.com/2013/08/lion-air-737-overruns-runway-strikes-cow/#.UgE_i-VwaUk

www.nycaviation.com/2013/07/southwest-boeing-737-involved-in-nose-gear-incident-at-lga/#.UgGA_OVwaUk
with some on board video
 BA Flight Squawked an Emergency. - Bigtee
Thanks just purchased that app for the iphone.

Does it automatically let you know of emergency calls?
If the iPhone version bears any relation to the 'droid, here's the quote from the previous thread I mentioned above:

"If anyone has the pro version of the app on their phone, and had the emergency squawk function turned on (called show notifications), you'd have been alerted of the emergency squawk 7700 signal. I didn't know it did this and picked up an emergency call from a Russian plane once."
Last edited by: AnotherJohnH on Wed 7 Aug 13 at 10:19
Delta Airline circling over Norwich due to a "technical fault"
 BA Flight Squawked an Emergency. - henry k
>> Delta Airline circling over Norwich due to a "technical fault"
>>
Details below. Landed OK
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23604222
Plenty of nasty comments about Norwich on Flight24's Facebook page. I've not been there - I like mustard though
I did some market research on some Colman's product once, can't remember what, and had to go to Norwich for a couple of days. I remember both the place and the work as being very boring, inconsequential and uncomfortable. Just as it is represented by toe-curling Alan Partridge in fact.
 BA Flight Squawked an Emergency. - bathtub tom
SWMBO went to the mustard factory in her last year at school. We think it was to encourage the pupils not to give up on their exams. An overwhelming memory was of one girl whose job was to screw on the jar tops, by hand.

Similar to my experience to Vauxhall in the '60s. One guy had a wooden block with nails in which he used to bend brake pipes. Just one pattern.
>> Similar to my experience to Vauxhall in the '60s.

You as well?

ISTR two guys putting windscreens in HB Vivas... don't remember the pipe bender though.
 BA Flight Squawked an Emergency. - No FM2R
Re: Mustard factory, jar tops, nails, brake pipes.

I worry about how we set such store on classroom achievement.

I know a bloke, reasonably intelligent although no genius, who has been working in the same factory doing a pretty mindless job for about the last 30 years. He's a really nice chap and quite happy with his lot. He'd die a death in an office and he hates responsibility.

Another friend was a total plank at school and everything went wrong for him. But he's the best, fastest, highest quality plumber I know. He'll do your house for you, but he won't be able to book you into this year. And he charges at least 30% more than anyone else. And he won't do a job for anyone he doesn't like.

Sometimes I think we should remember not to judge the activities of someone else by our own standards. And that some people have different capabilities and different desires.

Bring back apprenticeships and respect the people how have done them.
 BA Flight Squawked an Emergency. - Fursty Ferret
>> Bring back apprenticeships and respect the people how have done them.

Well said.
 BA Flight Squawked an Emergency. - CGNorwich
It is a you say very boring, inconsequential and uncomfortable so my advice to any potential visitors is please stay away, parking is becoming a nightmare.

Slough and Scunthorpe are nice if you want a day out. Nothing to see here.
>> my advice to any potential visitors is please stay away, parking is becoming a nightmare.

I do apologise CGN, had a feeling someone here had a connection but in demented ageing fashion didn't think of you, duh...

Thing about doing freelance market research in your thirties (it was a long time ago) is that the work, and most of the places, are bound to seem boring when all you want is to get back to the metropolitan and underground chatter, music and poetry, not to mention the other fleshpots.

You spend a lot of time getting chilly out of doors and killing time in cars, car parks and execrable hotels. I assure you, places like Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds and Sheffield are just as bad if not worse.
Latest Forum Posts