Non-motoring > My mother-in-law went missing... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BiggerBadderDave Replies: 15

My mother-in-law went missing... - BiggerBadderDave
...in Kingston. But fortunately the authorities have found her.

tinyurl.com/orrffxs
 My mother-in-law went missing... - L'escargot
“Homes and businesses need to change their ways, when it comes to fat and wipes, please remember: ‘Bin it – don’t block it.’”

We bin it. Any cooking utensils which have fat on them get wiped with kitchen paper towel before they're washed.
 My mother-in-law went missing... - Westpig
“Given we’ve got the biggest sewers and this is the biggest fatberg we’ve encountered, we reckon it has to be the biggest such berg in British history".

What a tremendous statement. Never heard the term 'fatberg'. Although a mate did pick up a young lady of similar description in Union Street, Plymouth in the early 80's.
 My mother-in-law went missing... - BobbyG
I keep an old pasta jar in the kitchen and we use this to drain any excess oils / fats etc into and then it will be put in the fortnightly bin for collection.

Must admit since I first started doing this, the levels have fallen dramatically - when you see the solidifying fat every time you go to cook it does change your cooking methods!
This is a fatberg. tinyurl.com/ntm65xj
 My mother-in-law went missing... - Ambo
I never realised this fat would harden greatly in a sewer until I saw a documentary about Paris drainage a few years back. In an area containing many fast food outlets, workmen had to work hard with pickaxes to free such a fatberg.
 My mother-in-law went missing... - Cliff Pope
I wonder why I find the descriptions of this phenomenon so especially revolting? It's only lard.

I can take the traditional descriptions of sewerage workers wading about in deep boots patrolling underground with poles, clearing blockages. In fact that all seems rather interesting.
Perhaps it's "The Third Man" effect.
 My mother-in-law went missing... - corax
If we all became vegetarians, the problem would go away. But global warming would increase due to increased methane ejaculation. But that would be tempered by rearing of less cattle. It's a conundrum.
 My mother-in-law went missing... - FocalPoint
"...methane ejaculation."

Blimey - that sounds painful!
 My mother-in-law went missing... - smokie
I do it all the time, sometimes a particularly ripping one is uncomfortable... :-)
 My mother-in-law went missing... - Harleyman
>> If we all became vegetarians, the problem would go away. But global warming would increase
>> due to increased methane ejaculation. But that would be tempered by rearing of less cattle.
>> It's a conundrum.
>>

So what you're saying is that by eating more cows we produce less bovine excrement.... except for vegetarians.

Sounds about right.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Tue 6 Aug 13 at 16:30
 My mother-in-law went missing... - corax
>> So what you're saying is that by eating more cows we produce less bovine excrement....
>> except for vegetarians.

If you've ever eaten beans, lentils or a something containing sulphurous compounds like broccolli Harleyman, you'll know what I mean.

At least we can only blame it on ourselves, not the cows.
Last edited by: corax on Tue 6 Aug 13 at 16:53
>> I wonder why I find the descriptions of this phenomenon so especially revolting? It's only
>> lard.

There's more to it than that. news.ncsu.edu/releases/wms-ducoste-soap/
 My mother-in-law went missing... - Cliff Pope
It ought to make me feel better, knowing that it is really only something as wholesome as soap.

But perhaps it's the kind of dirty soap that other people leave encrusted round washbasin overflows and under the taps.
Yuck!
 My mother-in-law went missing... - Armel Coussine
>> dirty soap that other people leave encrusted round washbasin overflows and under the taps.
Yuck!

Heavens to Betsy! Baby wipes, surgical spirit and smelling salts, quick!

It's only filth CP. They say we all eat a peck of it before we die.

:o}
 My mother-in-law went missing... - Kevin
>In an area containing many fast food outlets, workmen had to work hard with pickaxes to free such a fatberg.

I thought that commercial food premises had to have a "grease trap" fitted to the greywater drains?

There's a simple plastic affair fitted to the drain from our kitchen because we have a waste-disposal unit.
Latest Forum Posts