Non-motoring > What on earth......? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Slightlyfatdirector Replies: 12

What on earth......? - Slightlyfatdirector
Had our new wheelie bins delivered last week. Nice brown ones for some recycling.

Stunned to see that they have a noise rating stamped on the lid of 89db.

Wow. They noise-rate bins?!

Normally it sits there and is very quiet and well behaved......

Unless I am going deaf.....?

I can only assume that this is the noise it makes when being whacked onto the back of the truck, but if it was filled with something noisy (for arguments sake; glass bottles) then the noise would be much louder thus making the rating on the bin pointless, no?

Or maybe I am missing something fundamental............
 What on earth......? - Dog
Try listening to it late in the evening and lemme know if it goes "we will exterminate".

:+)
 What on earth......? - L'escargot
Wait until your neighbours trundle theirs to the gate over a rough surface just as you're about to go to sleep at night, then you'll say they're noisy! Our black bin has two ratings ~ 85db and 99dB. I'm guessing that one is when it's empty and the other is when it's full (or vice versa) ~ but I could be wrong.
 What on earth......? - Alanovich
As is abundantly evident on internet fora, "empty vessels make the most noise" would be the rule I'd be following on that one.
 What on earth......? - Dutchie
Bins everywhere we got three in the garden next to the shed .A little brown bin for food waste in the kitchen.Talking about empty vessels make the most noise,ships without cargo do carrying ballast
 What on earth......? - L'escargot
I Googled for it and the most sensible reply was that it relates to the noise level when the lid is dropped (a) to the closed position from a vertical position and (b) from a horizontal position to hitting the outside back of the bin when it's empty. This tends to support why our black bin has two ratings. ciarang.com/posts/yes-noisy-bins
It all comes down to Directive 2000/14/EC.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 6 Aug 13 at 15:13
 What on earth......? - Fursty Ferret
Someone defeats the point when you consider how much noise is made dropping a week's supply of empty beer and wine bottles into the recycling bin.
Precisely my point. I bet there is not a wheelie bin in France labelled like this :)

Does seem utterly bonkers, but who and I to judge?

Next we will hear that car horns will have to be rated and not sound above a certain level in case someone gets deafened by one being used.

Thanks for answering the question though.
 What on earth......? - BobbyG
Not sure if its folklore but apparently Stirling Council changed over all their wheelie bins at one point and then landed themselves with a huge fine - because they had dumped the old wheelie bins in landfill!!
 What on earth......? - Mike Hannon
By coincidence, SFD, we are about to receive a wheelie bin free from our local group of parish councils, in the first ever local effort at official recycling. The bin, we are told, is just for 'household waste' and everything else must be sorted and taken to the nearest recycling point, which we have always done anyway.
I look forward with interest as to whether our new possession - the first wheelie bin we have ever owned - is stamped with noise ratings and, if it is, whether anyone from the Minister of State for Recycling to my next-door neighbour, actually gives a stuff.
I was in Corsica earlier in the year and all the locals seemed quite active in dividing up their rubbish into appropriate bins at a local site to us (all private houses, but some obviously holiday lets) with only a few twonks just dumping stuff randomly by the bins.

Personally a few years ago when I lived in Wilts everything went into black bin bags and we could have up to (and I am ashamed) 9 bin bags out a week. Now we are almost evangelically recycling stuff in Sussex and the amount of land-fill is really negligible. The mind-set changes for many (like us) but not for everyone.

As long as everything actually gets recycled properly after we have done our bit of course and I am not sure of that is always the case...........

Oh, and I said farewell to the XJ-S last night by the way Mike. A tear in the eye, but at least I did not have to put it either in a bin bag or the recycling...... :)
 What on earth......? - WillDeBeest
In Normandy the other day, we visited the foundry that made six of the new bells installed at Notre Dame. In the courtyard where we awaited our tour was a six-foot high bell mounted in a frame, and with a captive hammer to ding it. There was a notice inviting children to strike the bell and then to put a hand on it and report what they felt.

No noise rating on that thing. Boy, was it loud!
 What on earth......? - helicopter
I assume that was the foundry in Villedieu les Poeles Will? I have visited a few foundries in my time making all sorts from pipes to pump fittings .

SWMBO and I are popping over to Normandy in a couple of weeks and I it would be an interesting visit for me but not for her and probably just a bit far to travel from our base in Dieppe....

We visited Xian in China a few years ago and they had a bell tower in the centre of town with a huge bell mounted on a frame with a swinging beam to hit it with..... strangely satisfying and also very loud... pictured here

www.fredbellomy.com/indiachina/xi'anphotos.htm
Latest Forum Posts