Non-motoring > Do I want one of ... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 8

Do I want one of ... - Dog
These: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:JAA_3538-2.jpg

Bin offered a two year old jobby, usual story - owners splitting up :(

Anyone with any experience of sed Spitz breed?
 Do I want one of ... - No FM2R
M-i-L had an Alaskan Malamute until very recently which looks pretty similar to me.

A great dog but massively unsuited to a sedentary lifestyle. It wanted to be off doing stuff, not hanging around doing nothing other than the occasional [small] walk.

Consequently it chewed, bit, destroyed, everything it could get its paws on. It became very badly behaved, not least because my M-i-L couldn't train a currant bun.

So, assuming they are indeed similar, I'd be careful what you're taking on.

Do I want one of ... - Mike Hannon
When I was a little kid we had a Dutch version of the Spitz - a Keeshond. Lovely temperament but took a lot of grooming, as I recall.
I spent my formative years explaining to people that it wasn't a Husky.
>>a Keeshond

Dutchie has often mentioned the Keeshond, used to be known as a Dutch barge dog, I hear.
>>I'd be careful what you're taking on.

Thanks, I don't think I will, plus it wouldn't be fair to Milo my 13 old timer either.
 Do I want one of ... - Fenlander
>>>Dutchie has often mentioned the Keeshond, used to be known as a Dutch barge dog

As have I when they are mentioned. Had two for 13yrs each. A truly wonderful companion dog with no real guarding (as in attack) or hunting/killing instincts. They will alert you to trouble but not get stuck in. They are not for ultimate training as they retain an independance of spirit which I like in an animal. They are very content to curl up and keep out of your way which makes them excellent boat dogs.

There is something of a core personality/look to the Spitz dogs but there is a huge variance in how this applies to living with the different breeds within the spitz grouping. As NoFM says the Malamutes take some handling and the true Husky (sled) types are very very independent. It seems the better looking a Spitz is the more trouble they are to keep.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Wed 7 Aug 13 at 15:46
>>It seems the better looking a Spitz is the more trouble they are to keep

Like some women I've known then ;)

Thanks Fl, very interesting what you say about the breed.
 Do I want one of ... - WillDeBeest
...had an Alaskan Malamute until very recently which looks pretty similar to me.

I'll have to adjust my mental picture of you, FM. Just for reference, is it the ears or the tail?
};---)
 Do I want one of ... - No FM2R
I had to read that two or three times before I "clicked".

The dog's better looking.
Latest Forum Posts