Non-motoring > Single sex group and camping sites Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MJW1994 Replies: 9

Single sex group and camping sites - MJW1994
(Had to be careful how I worded the subject for this!)

Been finding it at times a bit difficult to book stays at camping sites as a single sex group of four lads (aged 19 to 24), I suppose it’s because they want to deter drinking and partying groups disturbing the peace and all that which I can understand but it’s a bit irritating if you’re not really into that sort of thing. Like any age group we like a bit of fun at times but we know how to behave in public and respect the facilities that everyone is there paying to enjoy. What’s also annoying is that some of the most irritating behaviour I’ve experienced on campsites is usually by families, for example screaming uncontrolled brats (if I had behaved like that when I was a kid my parents would have pulled me back into line) or couples romping away most of the night, keeping people awake. It's a bit embarrassing when you're with your parents hearing that going on in a tent nearby. Strange thing is though if we said we were two couples of lads then that would probably be alright since it would be sexual discrimination not to let us stay! I am very fond of my mates but not that much!!!

Anyway, rant over. Anyway I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of campsites that might let in single sex groups, thinking of Dorset area, although could be into Cornwall as plans are not finalised yet.

Best wishes

Matt
 Single sex group and camping sites - Dog
I'd stick to Darset if I were you Matt, it rains every day in Cornwall, and twice on Sundays.
 Single sex group and camping sites - R.P.
I had a laugh a couple of years ago - A friend and I both rode our 125cc bikes up to the lakes (alcohol fuelled bet) - we booked out site (Caravan Club place outside Keswick) - they were reluctant to book us for more than one night as they were "very busy" - got up there and checked in - we were given a stern lecture about not revving our bikes after dark and not making a mess - I was newly retired professional chap and he is a senior engineer with the local council. Following day we were offered a further couple of nights - which was good. I always chuckle when I think of it.... 'revving our engines" tinny 125cc engines....!
 Single sex group and camping sites - bathtub tom
What on earth are you doing here amongst all us ole fogies?

>>couples romping away most of the night,

I recall a morning of womenfolk all calling their men LOUDLY by their first name to let everyone else know Roger wasn't the rampant male.
 Single sex group and camping sites - RattleandSmoke
It is a balancing act, I go to a campsite in Anglesey and never a problem with big groups however it can get rowdy for that reason. The mates I went with have now got girlfriends so I still go there once a year and camp by myself. On the last two occasions I have ended up joining in the parties.

We were very quiet though and kept noise down to a minimum but the way I see it is this. WIth camp sites do your research.

No Single sex groups = family site, expect a quite night
No rules on it - expect it be quite rowdy at weekends especially if there are pubs near by as the party will start when the pub closes. In the town I go camping in the main pub shuts at 1:00am, then they all get back from the pub at 1:30am and carry on drinking through night. I personally don't mind noise till about 2:00am but beyond that I start to get a bit annoyed, but as I have learnt if I can't beat them join them. Would never ever be rowdy in a campsite though after say 11.

I do find camp sites rather odd though, we got turned away at quite a few camp sites, yet at others the owners were giving us cans of beer.

I don't really go camping that much any more, a weekend once a year in Anglesey is enough for me now I find the price difference between campsites and B & Bs to be too small in a lot of places.
 Single sex group and camping sites - Pat
Here we are Matt

www.looebaycaravans.co.uk/camping.htm

This one is really free and easy and you won't have any trouble booking there .

However, should there be any trouble or complaints Mike will soon have your group removed:)

I've seen it happen!

Pat
 Single sex group and camping sites - Robbie34
You could try the Camping and Caravan Club site at Verwood in Dorset. They are usually pretty easy going about groups, but won't stand nonsense, so you should be OK.

It's classed as a New Forest site. I was there two years ago and they have had a facelift with new shower block etc.
Thanks for useful pointers, something to look at over the w/e.

Ole fogies? Rich with life experiences and sense, for the benefit of youth...
Last edited by: MJW1994 on Thu 8 Aug 13 at 22:05
 Single sex group and camping sites - WillDeBeest
Don't flatter them, MJW. We get enough of that 'When I were a lad it were all starting handles / green fields / mastodons' as it is.
};---)
We're going to try Osmington, it's a long time since I've been down to Weymouth, the coastline around there is good, especially Lulworth cove. The others in the group are in agreement so if they will let us stay then job done! I don't know whether we will surf this time, I fancy just resting and doing nothing for a few days apart from swimming and walking.

Thanks again for all the suggesions, might look at Cornwall later in the year, even if it does rain every day!
Latest Forum Posts