Non-motoring > South African death records Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 8

South African death records - Stuu
Anyone have any experience trying to obtain a death cert in SA? I am after one for a man who died there in the 80's.

I also wondered if they have any public records on doctors as the man was a doctor at Cape Town hospital in the 40's.

He is a bit of a ghost although I see from an enquiry many years ago on a family history site that someone else was also looking for info about him but by the way it was phrased, from the SA side but their email address is done - anyone heard of mcmail.com btw?

South African death records - Ian (Cape Town)
waddya want?

More details, please - Cape Town Hospital? Ummm, nope - there's lots of hospitals here, but none called Cape Town Hospital.
Somerset, Groote Schuur, Vincent Pallotti, Valkenburg, etc etc etc

Drop me a line - ijwill1966 at gmail dot com, and i'll start digging on your behalf.

I am afraid 'Cape Town' hospital is all that anyone seems to know, obviously one that was in existance 70 years ago!

His name is very unusual: David Logie Baird, born somewhere between 1895 and 1910 most likely, in Scotland. The rumour was that he was a paediatrician.

It is somewhat important as it is very likely that he was my nans father.
Last edited by: FoR on Thu 8 Aug 13 at 17:51
I'll get on the case on Monday, FoR - tomorrow is a holiday here.
SA Medical Council should have records.
As a paediatrician, he was probably at the CT Children's hospital, now known as Red Cross Memorial Childrens Hospital.
My nan may be the family secret mentioned here. Here is the message:

"Recently a family secret was unearthed to discover the importance of one otherwise non-distinct family member, Dr David Logie Baird, a former Doctor of a Cape Town Hospital dating from approximately late 40's. Died in the 80's, information is being desperately sought by a VERY close, unheard of family member. If you can offer any information whether it be direct or where we could go in order to seek further information, your help would be much appreciated.

The only other information known is of his three sisters and one brother, all of which were born in Scotland, Britain."

Given the way they phrased it Scotland, Britain, my guess is it was someone in SA because I dont think ive ever heard it said that way in the UK - my guess is it may be a descendant - Baird is a fairly common name in Cape Town which is a real pain.

Thankyou very much for anything you can do, I would just like to give an old lady some closure, she has been unable to do anything with what she knows for 40 years and knowing who your dad is rates pretty highly I think.
Last edited by: FoR on Thu 8 Aug 13 at 17:57
Baird common?
Well, that's probably because Sir David was in charge of the troops at the Battle of Blaauwberg back in the early 1800s.
And therefore many slaves would have taken the name later, and their progeny would have kept it.
Yes his name came up alot when trying internet searches, but Logie Baird seems almost unique to this man and John Logie Baird - I did wonder whether the Logie bit was a myth but that message suggests it isnt - you would think it would make him easy to find but quite the opposite!
 South African death records - rtj70
And another John Logie Baird had a hand in our TV systems. Although Farnsworth's system was what we had for a while. All digital now of course.

But interesting that the name you mention is Logie Baird. And not just Baird.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 8 Aug 13 at 21:47
I never managed to get any further with this search so if anyone has any ideas?

My nan has got long now, maybe a week or so its looking like, but I would still like to settle it for her even if she dies not knowing.
Latest Forum Posts