Non-motoring > Mulligatawny soup Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 19

Mulligatawny soup - Manatee
Does anyone still eat this, or even make it?

I was dismayed to see it referred to as unfashionable and no longer popular recently, realised I hadn't had any for a while, and put three tins of the Heinz variety on my Okkerdo order last night.

I have just broached a tin and it was good. New recipe I think, a bit fruitier than it was, but still satisfying and according to the label it counts as one of five a day.

Get some before it goes the way of OK mustard sauce.
 Mulligatawny soup - No FM2R
I do, lots. Wife makes it from scratch.

She also makes minestrone, tomato & vegetable.

With loads of homemade bread. store-bought butter though.

Yum yum.

On a similar subject, I love Colmans English Mustard, but surely its nothing like as strong as it used to be?
 Mulligatawny soup - Mike Hannon
'Counts as one of the five a day'.
How can that possibly be? It's a tin of soup, for heavens' sake.
Because a blended carrot is still a carrot, doesn't matter if it gets mushed up by a blender or by your stomach, just so its all there.

You didn't think it goes into your blood stream whole, do you? Stupid boy, Pike.
 Mulligatawny soup - neiltoo
Rick Stein did a recipe on either the penultimate or last Indian cooking prog.
May still be available on ITV site (I think)
>> Rick Stein did a recipe on either the penultimate or last Indian cooking prog.
>> May still be available on ITV site (I think)

That was probably where I heard the reference - I thought I might have read it somewhere. Rick gave the impression it had died out.
>>With loads of homemade bread. store-bought butter though

I had some of my home made oaty bread with it.

Did I mention it won a 1st prize in the village show? It won a 1st prize in the village show.

Recipe available on request:)
 Mulligatawny soup - Zero

>> Recipe available on request:)

Yes please - bring it on. (Metric measurements please)
 Mulligatawny soup - bathtub tom
Local curry house does it, 'though it tastes like it's made from powder and water.

Mulligatawny Soup - Manatee
>> >> Recipe available on request:)
>>
>> Yes please - bring it on. (Metric measurements please)
>>

You serious? OK.

I'll put it in a separate bread thread. I might get some recipes in return.
 Mulligatawny soup - Meldrew
IMO it depends on whether you buy the paste in a jar (mild) or make it fresh from power every time you want some (strong) If you like it a bit milder mix the power with milk instead of water.
I have resorted to the powder, which is better. But still not as strong as I'm sure it used to be.
 Mulligatawny soup - Meldrew
I recall buying something sold as Double Superfine at the Colman's shop in Norwich, years ago but I see that is the appellation now given to the one and only powder they sell. Perhaps it is weaker, perhaps your taste buds have deadened over the years?
 Mulligatawny soup - Zero
>> I recall buying something sold as Double Superfine at the Colman's shop in Norwich, years
>> ago but I see that is the appellation now given to the one and only
>> powder they sell. Perhaps it is weaker, perhaps your taste buds have deadened over the
>> years?

Yeah, battered in submission by killer curries and massacred by mexicans probably.
 Mulligatawny soup - Alanovich
I make it at home. Very satisfying. Veggie version.
 Mulligatawny soup - Slidingpillar
Heinz mulligatawny is nothing like the soup of the same name I had in a curry house. The Heinz version is basically a beef and tomato soup with spices, and the curry house version was lentil based.

And there is an easy way to make something approaching the curry house version I had:

Fry in a little oil a cut up onion in a saucepan till it just starts to change colour. Add a level desert spoon of decent curry powder (Bolsts is good, Asian grocers have it). Fry for no more than a further minute, and then add, of all things, a tin of Heinz lentil soup. Stir till boiling, dish up and eat.

For those wanting to go further, lentil soup is a piece of cake to make from scratch if you have a pressure cooker, but I usually make 2 or 3 pints and freeze in helpings. The above though is quick and easy and makes a good lunch.
 Mulligatawny soup - -
Out of kindness to me SWMB doesn't indulge her Mulligatawny cravings.

Do your respective partners don a gas mask for the the next 24 hours once you've partaken, it really is the most vile smelling muck.
>>it really is the most vile smelling muck.

Before or after?
 Mulligatawny soup - corax
>> it really is the most vile smelling muck.

I was thinking about the smell after consuming, considering the number of lentils involved.

Get it down you GB - puts hairs on your chest.
Last edited by: corax on Fri 9 Aug 13 at 16:47
>> Out of kindness to me SWMB doesn't indulge her Mulligatawny cravings.

Out of kindness to her you should insist that she indulges, and join her with a will :)
Latest Forum Posts