Non-motoring > Bread Thread - Oaty Bread Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 15

Bread Thread - Oaty Bread - Manatee
Oaty Bread

This is written up for 2 x 1lb loaves. I'll list the actual ingredients I use in case in makes a difference. The flour and the yeast are both available from Sainsburys.

The timing is for my oven - you might want to check them 5 minutes earlier in case yours runs a bit hotter. You can shove them back in if they aren't done. Overbaked is better than under with bread; if they don't look too burnt they are usually OK.

Tip for shaping the dough for the loaf tin - you can get big holes in the loaf, but this usually prevents them. After knocking back and dividing, I bash it out into a flattish rough oval shape and then roll into the billet for the loaf tin. Put the "seam" to the bottom of course, then tamp down level with the backs of your fingers.

You can of course just make a 2lb loaf instead if you don't have 2 x 1lb tins. I sometimes make 7 rolls instead (they only need about 17 minutes, the 2lb loaf might need 40).

Manatee's Oaty Bread

A medium density loaf that slices well when new and lasts a week. About 60% wholemeal, 30% white flour, & 10% porridge (rolled) oats. Good crust.

Ingredients:

10g instant dried yeast (Allinson's Easy Bake Yeast, or Dove's Farm Quick)
140g Allinson's strong white bread flour
300g Allinson's strong wholemeal bread flour
45g Aldi Essential rolled oats (porridge oats)
1 tsp salt (7g)
20g softened unsalted butter (i.e. not hard from the fridge)
30g clear honey (use light brown sugar if you prefer)
320 ml aired (lukewarm) water (use 280ml from tap, 40ml boiling)

Method:

Add the ingredients to the bowl with yeast first, then the flours/porridge, then the salt - keep the salt separate from the yeast until mixing the dough, to prevent it killing the yeast.

Mix to a softish, but not runny dough and knead for 10 minutes or so. Alternatively use a mixer with a dough hook - I use a Kenwood Chef, a minute or so on low speed is enough to mix the dough, then 4 or 5 minutes kneading at speed 1, followed by a couple of minutes hand kneading on an oiled surface.

Put the dough in an oiled bowl (I use Aldi Extra Virgin Olive Oil, or supermarket vegetable oil,rapeseed usually) is fine. Cover with a tea towel and leave until at least doubled in size (in a warm kitchen this could be as little as 45 minutes, usually about an hour).

Put a little oil on your working surface, tip the dough out onto it and knock back - fold it in on itself and punch the air out of it.

Divide and shape into 2 loaves and put into oiled 1lb loaf tins.

Cover the tins with the tea towel and leave until they have risen to fill the tins.

OPTIONAL STEP: Recommended because it looks better, so tastes better! Make up an egg wash by beating an egg with a good pinch of salt and 10-20ml of water. Brush on to the top of the loaves, then sprinkle porridge oats on top.

Put in a pre heated fan oven at 210 degrees C. After 10 minutes, reduce to 190 degrees C and bake for a further 23 minutes (33 minutes total).

When done, check that the loaves are fully cooked by tipping them out of the tins and tapping the bases of the loaves, which should sound hollow. If necessary put them back for 3 minutes or so and test again.
 Bread Thread - Oaty Bread - WillDeBeest
Sounds nice, Manatee. Do you taste the honey in the finished loaf, or is it just there to encourage the yeast? And does the loaf come out soft or crusty?
>> Sounds nice, Manatee. Do you taste the honey in the finished loaf, or is it
>> just there to encourage the yeast?

Occasionally I think I can taste it - but it's not a 'sweet' bread. You can adjust it down if you like. In fact 30g of honey is less sweet than 30g of sugar, so if you use sugar I would definitely knock it down a bit to say 20g for starters.

The fat and the sugar I think help the keeping qualities. Up to a week isn't usually a problem. It should work with no sugar at all. I don't use any sugar in my white loaves, just 30g of butter to 500g of flour, plus the yeast, water and salt as for the oaty. It doesn't last as long though.

>>And does the loaf come out soft or crusty?

Crusty, but will soften after a day or so - certainly as I tend to keep it in a plastic bag, it takes us 2 or 3 days to use a small loaf.

I sometimes make rolls. I find they work better with an extra stage - I make them into balls and let them rest/rise for half an hour, then flatten them gently with a roller and let them rise again. 7 rolls = 1 small loaf.

If I want extra crusty with bread generally, I sometimes knock it out of the tin and put in straight back in for 5 minutes.

Now I've got into the habit of making our bread it doesn't seem like much of a job, the elapsed time is up to 3 hours but most of the time I can be doing something else.

This is what it usually looks like - the rolls at the front are my 50:50 Barm Cakes, the others are oaty bread. I made this lot for a family garden party a couple of weeks ago.

goo.gl/clSB61

Bread Thread - Oaty Bread - Dog
That lot looks good enough to eat, Manatea, I like the idea of the oats on top of the loaves and I'll give e'e a go.

I make all our own bread but, I use a Panasonic bread maker which gives excellent results, I don't use any type of sugar, use olive oil instead of butter, I use Celtic sea salt instead of table salt and, I add 500mg of Vit C as a flour improver.

Have you ever stumbled upon this flour:
www.amazon.co.uk/Bacheldre-Watermill-Organic-Stoneground-Wholemeal/dp/B005FPWMN8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376074225&sr=8-1&keywords=organic+wholemeal+flour
T

I've been making our own bread for 20 years so I class myself as a master baker now.

:}
Last edited by: Dog on Fri 9 Aug 13 at 20:15
I think I'll try the olive oil. I have made white bread with it, but not tried it in the oaty yet. I'll try it in the next batch!

No I haven't tried the Bacheldre flour but it doesn't look too badly priced for organic does it?

I might try some of that too. I've only just got rid of the tunnelling reliably in the oaty bread (not letting it rise too high, and the rolling up the dough fixed it) so I've kept the flours constant. I can tinker with it a bit now.

Daughter has given me a voucher for a day's sourdough course for my birthday, at an artisan baker's in Rickmansworth.
 Bread Thread - Oaty Bread - Zero
I kind of cheat with my first and second rise. like this.

Mix the bread mix (all the variations) in the mixer with the dough hook till it gets that silky feel, then leave it in the mixing bowl, complete with the dough hook in it Just cover the bowl with cling film.

After the first prove (bout an hour) I knock it back by turning the mixer on again. Once its knocked back (minute max) I remove from the bowl, flatten with the palm of hand, then roll into a ball, before shaping/dividing/into bread tins for 2nd rise and baking. Dont get any tunnels or holes. A longer, cooler 2nd rise helps there as well too.

I finally learned how to make proper rolls, by placing the balls of dough closer together, so they support each other during the second rise. tear them apart after the bake.

Last edited by: Zero on Fri 9 Aug 13 at 21:04
Good one Zero. Not tried that.

I like to make my rolls Siamese too.
Sourdough's not as complicated as some would have you believe; it just takes longer with less highly-bred yeasts. My 'home' starter is about six months old now and going nicely; no fancy ingredients, just rye flour, filtered water (don't want chlorine) and the descendants of whatever yeasts it caught in the back garden. I started a Pyrenean one on holiday but it's still a bit too soon to say how that one will turn out.

To make a loaf I just mix starter, white flour, salt and water in the breadmaker, turn it into an oiled bowl to rise (usually overnight) then shape it and bake. Very forgiving, except on the warmest nights when it can get too excited. And quite, quite addictive. Have a go; you'll love it!
 Bread Thread - Oaty Bread - Crankcase
Why ever would you make bread when you can have one of these little marvels?

m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=zpIVAzPdQMo
>>No I haven't tried the Bacheldre flour but it doesn't look too badly priced for organic does it?

It's cheaper than the Marriage's organic wholemeal we buy locally and the customer reviews seem positive.

>>Daughter has given me a voucher for a day's sourdough course for my birthday, at an artisan baker's in Rickmansworth

Ah well, it wont be long now before you join the guild of master bakers :)
 Bread Thread - Oaty Bread - Pat
Here we go again.....:)

Pat
 Bread Thread - Oaty Bread - Zero
Hey! most women find the idea of their man making bread a sexy one. I could strip down your bike, and then make some bread giving it a slightly oily, carb cleaner flavour.

How could that not turn you on.
Eh, I don't think it's that-kind of bread which turns women on.

(*_*)
I made a batch of Manatee's bread this weekend and I was impressed. I could still taste some residual sweetness from the honey (even at only 20g) but it's far from intrusive and the loaf is certainly nicely moist.

I made two small loaves: one in an open tin that was too big for it, which came out a touch over-crusty, and one free-form by my preferred method these days of starting it under a dome to prevent the crust from forming too soon.

That one rose better in the oven and had a thinner, crisper crust - better all round, in fact - so I'd thoroughly recommend some sort of steam-trapping method if your oven has room for it. Better still, put a tray in the bottom of the oven and add about 300ml of hot water from the kettle as the loaves go in. Might be counterintuitive that steam would produce a better crust, but it undoubtedly does here.

But thanks for the idea, old sirenian. I'll be doing that one again.
Glad it wasn't a disaster.

I made some yesterday with olive oil instead of butter, and it seems OK too.
 Bread Thread - Oaty Bread - Mapmaker
I've been making my own sourdough for two years now.

I bake it in a Le Creuset; it means it's in a steamy atmosphere. This allows it to rise further (oven spring) before the crust goes hard and stops further rising.
Latest Forum Posts