Non-motoring > Electricity Suppliers.... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 15

Electricity Suppliers.... - R.P.
I'm with EDF - fixed to March 2014 tariff. I had a humdinger of an argument with them last summer when they hiked my DD payments from 40 quid a month to 65 - ended up being restored to my original payment and getting a £10.00 payment for not being notified in time and in accordance with their T&C. I missed the meter reader a few weeks ago (now done by G4S of all people) and a curt instruction was left for me to contact my supplier - which I didn't ('cos I'm like that) -anyway got an estimated bill today - wildly inaccurate - so I phoned them a new reading which shows I'm a £184.00 in credit. They told me I could drop my DD payment or keep the account in credit for winter use ! - No option to send me the money (which my water company did last year without even speaking to me about it) - so lets say a million customers of EDF are a hundred quid in credit that's a £100,000,000 in cash sloshing about.

As a side issue I did an online comparison today - my tariff is still as cheap as it gets with only Sainsbury's and M&S coming in cheaper - heard horror stories about these so I'll stay where I am for now and try to remember to look for a cheaper one in March.

Electricity Suppliers.... - bathtub tom
I'm with Scottish Power found through here: www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub

Not the cheapest, but had better reviews than those that were.
 Electricity Suppliers.... - smokie
There's a thread running on a solar energy forum I use - most electricity companies truncate what's due to you for your FIT and generation payments rather than round. So they get to keep fractions of a penny from everyone every quarter. I wonder if that's a deliberate ploy to make more money? No idea if it would work out a significant amount over all the customers, probably tens of pounds only.

Not sure how it works with leccy bills.
 Electricity Suppliers.... - Dutchie
We are with British gas electric and gas.We've had a new meter system put in they can read directly how much we use.Not much different to the bill do.
 Electricity Suppliers.... - L'escargot
We're with npower. They adjust our direct debit payment as necessary every six months.
 Electricity Suppliers.... - -
Non profit Ebico have done us proud since i discovered BG, who will never see another penny of my dosh, had been charging us well in excess for years.

I might save a few quid by going elsewhere, but i like their ethical and simple pricing policy where all pay the same price per unit regardless of payment method, most companies charge pre pay customers more, i like that and will stay with them.
 Electricity Suppliers.... - CGNorwich
By my reckoning £184 in a savings account earning 1.5% would be earning you the grand sum of 23p per month.

Yep I know - its the the principle but sometimes life really is too short to worry.
 Electricity Suppliers.... - Manatee
Ovo pay interest on your credit balance. Can't remember the ratebut last time I looked it was more than a savings account.
 Electricity Suppliers.... - Dutchie
Could anybody tell me what the true inflation rate is taking food and energy prices into account? Was in Tesco the other day fancied a ham shank four pound to buy.Assistant behind the counter said one pound eighty a week ago.Must have been a special pig for such a price rise.
 Electricity Suppliers.... - R.P.
I don't really care about my wedge, but these people are hiking household bills and banking the surplus. Twenty quid a month is a lot to some people.
 Electricity Suppliers.... - Fursty Ferret
SSE (who might charge more than average and dodge their tax) sent me a cheque for the overpayment straight away. Best customer service of any of the big 6, which is why I stick with them.

Still no smart meter, though have my name down for the trial.
 Electricity Suppliers.... - CGNorwich
Ah. The principle thing. If it concerns you stop paying by direct debit. Will cost you more though.
 Electricity Suppliers.... - Ted

I get an email from npower asking for a meter reading, I send it..they send an on-line bill and I pay it on-line the same day.......seemples !

Tesco hiked their budget 2 litre diet lemonade to 24p from 17p as soon as the weather got hot........Shysters!

Ted
 Electricity Suppliers.... - Haywain
I think we've done about 2 years now with EDF on a fixed-rate tariff for dual fuel that ends next April. The system seems to work pretty well - I enter our monthly meter readings on-line and our monthly DD is adjusted accordingly. Despite all the adjustments, we were just over £100 up at the end of the year and they instantly paid a rebate.

When the tariff ends I will, of course, look around though I would be somewhat reluctant to leave the present system which seems to work so well.

Our last annual fuel cost was, IIRC, around £950 for a 4-bedroom place; we have solar p-v and solar thermal for water, though I doubt that these contribute more than about £250 p.a.
 Electricity Suppliers.... - Ambo
You must be a very moderate user, Haywain, unless I am a very immoderate one. My own South Coast, 2-person 4-bedder costs about £2500 yearly on a fixed direct debit rate from EON, for around 5000 KW of electricity and 35000KW of gas. The bill includes duel-fuel discount and a tiny number of Tesco stamps. None of the other suppliers had a significantly cheaper deal for me, when I checked a few months back.

Electricity Suppliers.... - madf
EDF fixed price here. Great on-line service..No hassles.
Latest Forum Posts