Non-motoring > Some effects of a lightning strike on survivors. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 10

Some effects of a lightning strike on survivors. - henry k
This item shows very interesting photos of a couple of survivors. ( no warning needed!)
Also advice on how to avoid being a victim. Some I was aware of like stop waving the brolly but others I will take note ofs

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23621324
 Some effects of a lightning strike on survivors. - devonite
A man has been struck by lightning whilst on the London eye, Paramedics are expecting him to come round in about 30 mins!
 Some effects of a lightning strike on survivors. - corax
Interesting. I've never seen those marking left on the skin before. That's a tattoo I'd be proud of, but apparently only lasts a while before the skin heals.

I love lightning, the louder the better, but that's too close for comfort.
 Some effects of a lightning strike on survivors. - smokie
"I love lightning, the louder the better" - surely that's the accompanying thunder? :-)
 Some effects of a lightning strike on survivors. - devonite
>>surely that's the accompanying thunder?

Which is the vacuum created by the "Spark" refilling with atmosphere, so surely thats the sound of the inrushing Atmosphere? ;-)
 Some effects of a lightning strike on survivors. - Armel Coussine
It's the feller upstairs clearing his throat. All those Havana cigars...
 Some effects of a lightning strike on survivors. - L'escargot
>> I love lightning, the louder the better, but that's too close for comfort.
>>

The lightning never comes after the thunder. When you see the lightning and hear the thunder simultaneously you're probably in trouble!
 Some effects of a lightning strike on survivors. - L'escargot
Lightning goes up and down! www.komonews.com/weather/faq/4348196.html
 Some effects of a lightning strike on survivors. - corax
>> surely that's the accompanying thunder?

Yes, but the lightning causes the thunder - that's just a description of the noise. The sound of compressed, heated air exploding outwards and forming a shock wave because it doesn't have time to expand.
 Some effects of a lightning strike on survivors. - CGNorwich
Don't believe the old adage that lightning never strikes the same place twice. Former Park Ranger Roy "Dooms" Sullivan never did. According to the Guinness Book of World Records, Sullivan bas the dubious distinction of being the most lightning-struck person ever recorded. Between 1942 and his death in 1983, Roy Sullivan was struck by lightning seven times.

The first lightning strike shot through Sullivan's leg and knocked his big toenail off.

In 1969, a second strike burned off his eyebrows and knocked him unconscious. Another strike just a year later, left his shoulder seared.

In 1972 his hair was set on fire and Roy had to dump a bucket of water over his head to cool off.

In 1973, another bolt ripped through his hat and hit him on the head, set his hair on fire again, threw him out of his truck and knocked his left shoe off.

A sixth strike in 1976 left him with an injured ankle.

The last lightning bolt to hit Roy Sullivan sent him to the hospital with chest and stomach burns in 1977.

Sullivan could never offer any explanation for this strange and unwelcome electrical attraction.

It is said that he committed suicide following a failed romance.
 Some effects of a lightning strike on survivors. - Ted

Shocking !

Ted
Latest Forum Posts