Non-motoring > Harry and Amelia top sprog names Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 26

Harry and Amelia top sprog names - Manatee
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23663337

Not keen on diminutives as given names myself, but it now seems almost the rule. Four in the top ten boys' names, plus a car marque.

I wonder how many of the parents who chose Amelia realised it has an unpleasant medical meaning?
 Harry and Amelia top sprog names - smokie
"a car marque" - Alfie Romeo?

Not many of today's parents will remember a Riley, surely?
 Harry and Amelia top sprog names - L'escargot
>> I wonder how many of the parents who chose Amelia realised it has an unpleasant
>> medical meaning?
>>

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=amelia
a·mel·i·a [uh-mel-ee-uh, ey-mee-lee-uh]
noun. Pathology .
the congenital absence of one or more limbs.
 Harry and Amelia top sprog names - mikeyb
Have an acquaintance who called his son Austin. Couple of years later his younger brother Morris arrived.....
 Harry and Amelia top sprog names - madf
Fancy a child called Renault. It will be incontinent , have a large bum and not get up in the mornings.
 Harry and Amelia top sprog names - Armel Coussine
>> incontinent , have a large bum and not get up in the mornings.

They all go through a stage like that, lasting from two to fifty years.
 Harry and Amelia top sprog names - WillDeBeest
The cutesy term 'baby names' is part of the problem: it's not a baby name, it's a name for a person. I always used to wonder how parents could pin 'Reginald' or 'Agatha' on a baby, but it's the opposite now. How tomorrow's employers are supposed to take seriously this crop of Archies and Maisies is beyond me. (And I know there's a parent of one such here, and I maintain my view on this.)

As for Alfie, as I've noted before, that belongs on a Yorkshire terrier, not a human being.
 Harry and Amelia top sprog names - Ted

My daughter's neighbour and friend, hugely pregnant, were discussing names over a coffee one morning.

Friend was having a girl, and in spite of being a nurse, thought Chlamydia (sp) sounded a nice name ! She didn't go any further after being told she could get ointment for it.

Ted
Ah..he's a lovely little baby...let's call him Potto!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potto_Brown
 Harry and Amelia top sprog names - Zero
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23665106

US judge changes baby's name from Messiah to Martin
 Harry and Amelia top sprog names - Cliff Pope
>> The cutesy term 'baby names' is part of the problem: it's not a baby name,
>> it's a name for a person.

Pink goods are just another consumer accessory.
 Harry and Amelia top sprog names - MJW1994
Names are odd things. I was at school with a lad whose firstname was a number. He was the youngest of many children, presumably his parents ran out of ideas when they got to him.

Most names of more than one syllable get abbreviated. When I think of the people I know, Daniel becomes Dan, Robert Rob and so one. When did anyone know a Christopher who wasn’t called Chris?

Someone recently pointed out something a bit odd with my name and that there seems so be a bit if a gender split. My Dad and virtually all my male friends call me Matt but my Mum has always called me Matthew. I assumed it was some sort of Mum ‘thing’ but now I think about it virtually all my female friends call me Matthew including ex girlfriend (to my face anyway…). Doesn't bother me which I'm called.

Christopher Robin went down on Alice ?? My eldest is Elisabeth. Everyone 'cept me calls her Liz. I never do.

Edward has a lot of abbs.....I was Teddy when I was a kiddy...Bonzo Dog still keeps up the tradition. I rather like Teddy...gives a maturish bloke a hint of eccentricity ! Then I morphed into Eddie and then Ted. I was Ned to some of my secondary school crowd and I still have one long term friend who calls me that.

Call me what you like but don't call me early !

Ted
 Harry and Amelia top sprog names - Skip
My Dad and virtually all my male
>> friends call me Matt but my Mum has always called me Matthew. I assumed it
>> was some sort of Mum ‘thing’

Everybody calls me Andy apart from my mother who always calls me Andrew! I don't mind being called either of them, but I don't like And, which a couple of people at work call me.
Last edited by: Skip on Sun 18 Aug 13 at 16:05
 Harry and Amelia top sprog names - Bromptonaut

>> Everybody calls me Andy apart from my mother who always calls me Andrew! I don't
>> mind being called either of them, but I don't like And, which a couple of
>> people at work call me.

Similar issue or me. My parents named me Simon on basis it did not need shortening but one or two people try and call me Si - to which I object.

My kids are Jess and Tom with full versions restricted to birth certs and other formalities or where they're in bother!

Works for most except The Lad's (female) best friend who calls him Tomness!!

Good friends...the ones who call me Ned, have just had another grandson......Josiah Elvis !

OMG !

Ted
 Harry and Amelia top sprog names - Armel Coussine
Almost everyone in my family is known by a nickname or diminutive.

One of my granddaughters is called Mirabel. It's a nice name but her friends call her Mib which is even nicer in a way. She plays good violin for an 11-year-old but doesn't always practise seriously. Her teacher, a good guy, calls her Mib when she's in his good books, Mirabel when she needs to shape up and by her surname when he's actually annoyed with her.
 Harry and Amelia top sprog names - Dog
>>One of my granddaughters is called Mirabel. It's a nice name but her friends call her Mib

I'm surprised the name isn't shortened to bel, my wifes name is Ann but, my sister and I often refer to her as bel,
as in Annabel.

Funny ole life!
 Harry and Amelia top sprog names - Roger.
Grandson is Thomas + Henry.. he gets VERY cross if called Tom or Tommy!
Granddaughter is Katie + Anna (two words, not one)... it's hard to shorten Katie!
 Harry and Amelia top sprog names - CGNorwich
it's hard to shorten Katie!

Not really

Kate = 1 syllable

Katie = 2

Harry and Amelia top sprog names - Alanovich
>> it's hard to shorten Katie!
>>

"Cat" seems fashionable these days.
 Harry and Amelia top sprog names - Zero
>> >> it's hard to shorten Katie!
>> >>
>>
>> "Cat" seems fashionable these days.

Wiv a K init.

Kat.
 Harry and Amelia top sprog names - Alanovich
I couldn't bring myself to type that. Although Nestle have been getting away with it for decades without protest from the English-must-never-change brigade.

;-)
 Harry and Amelia top sprog names - CGNorwich
I thought Theresa May banned that - or was that Khat.
 Harry and Amelia top sprog names - Meldrew
The dreadful plastic person "Jordan" has just named her latest offering Jett Riviera. Won't catch on and sounds like an upmarket speedboat and spelled wrong!
my wife's name is Ann

Snap....bro !

Ted
Latest Forum Posts