Non-motoring > Not a good weekend. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 8

Not a good weekend. - Ted

Me 'n 'er decided, a couple of weeks ago, to take the caravan down to leafy west Shropshire for a few days next week. I haven't used it for a while due to various circumstances so I thought Id go over it last week and fettle any issues/problems.

Friday I connected the Grand Vitara to it...all lights worked...great ! Next, plugged in the water to the socket on the outside of the van.......switched the pump on and the pressure spat the connector out. Bums ! Holding clip ( very flimsy ) broken. Need a new socket ? Off to the local caravan/camping shop....no way, reducing stock to get into bikes. Off to North West caravans in Handforth. Very good there and looked through stock but didn't have the right one. Obsolete, can't get one. But they did have the clips, £5 for a pack of two.......great.

Came home, fitted one, filled the Aquaroll with another 40 litres and it pumped like it had a pair ! Next, the sink tap had come loose, continental type mixer. Had to take out the sink to tighten the big nut underneath.

Right...fridge was ok......new last Summer at £750 phew!

Next water heater......wouldn't heat up on either mains or gas.....wtf now? Checked everything, Had enough and went in to sulk over me dinner. Fresh day dawned...new lease of life ! I know what would be a good idea...RTFM ! So I did and it told me about a red lock out button on the back of the boiler. It was hidden under a removable cover and it was OUT. Pressed it and it stayed in. Switched the boiler on gas and in 5 minutes it was too hot to put yer hand in. Tested on mains the following day and that was the same....result, thoughts of a mega expensive new boiler went from my mind !

Turned my attention to the Suzuki while it was down the drive. Change the oil and filter...it needed it so off we go. Up on the ramps, sump plug out after trying all off my 50odd sockets, involving a walk 30 feet to the workshop every time, undid the plug and held the drain tray under it. It caught me unawares...I thought I'd judged the ' spurt ' length but I was way out as the oil hit the offside ramp. I managed to get the container under it after only half a pint had landed on the path. A spade full of soil dealt with that later.

I'd already spent a good 20 minutes searching for the filter. It was a black one and not easy to find in the dark depths of the engine but I saw it from below, although I couldn't reach it. From above ? Ok but the top hose and a few other bits would have to come off. Access granted...but for only one hand and boy, was it tight. Space round the filter wasn't good but I managed to get a remover round it and moved it by a few degrees until it was do-able by hand. Job done !

Top up the coolant now. I've thought for some time that the head gasket might be a bit iffy but It's not been getting hot and I just carry water to top up now and again. So I topped it up from the hose, which was handy nearby. End of work...hands cleaned, tools away and in for the rest of the day.

Monday morning came, went out to start it and it wouldn't turn over. Now what ? Thought for a while and then the spark from heaven descended on me.......Hydraulic lock ! Kept clicking the starter and eventually it turned and fired...a bit rough for 30 seconds then ok. It did it twice more, both times after standing for a fair length of time. It's not done it since but I haven't risked a run apart from round to my regular man with the spanners. Booked in for tomorrow for a head off job with pressure testing and face checking.....that'll cost, I bet.

Ten years or so ago, I'd have done it myself................I shouldn't have got up on Friday, it's me own fault ! Postponed the camping, as well .

OOer ! That's a long post....still, if you can't have a good moan, it wouldn't be worth living !

Ted
 Not a good weekend. - madf
Thanks for taking the time to post it.
After that I would have been too tired:-)
 Not a good weekend. - Old Navy
I thought that sort of stuff only happened to me, and I am not a shed dragger. :-)
 Not a good weekend. - WillDeBeest
I'd have thought any weekend spent not in a caravan couldn't be all bad.

Incidentally, we noticed as we picnicked at several French motorway rest areas that many of the dragged and self-propelled sheds gave off an overpowering smell, to the extent that we chose to move on early rather than stay close to one that drew up at the kerb. I'm used to seeing dog owners (although not French ones, of course) with the required accessory of a bag of canine poo, but quite why anyone chooses to take a tankful of their own on holiday is utterly beyond me.
 Not a good weekend. - Dog
That's one less blimmin caravan on the road holding up the traffic flow and causing a tailback.

:o}
 Not a good weekend. - Ted

That's your name in my book again Doggydooze ! If you're not careful I'll cross it out !

Ted
 Not a good weekend. - Dog
1000 apologies effendi, it's what living in corn wall during the holly day season does to ya.

www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/cornwall/roads/unplanned
 Not a good weekend. - Robin O'Reliant
I think we can at least trust Ted not to take his Grockle Box down a single track road then sit with a blank expression while waiting for the oncoming car to back up 1/4 of a mile. I met one of those a couple of years back when I wasn't in a perticular hurry -;)
 Not a good weekend. - Harleyman
>> I think we can at least trust Ted not to take his Grockle Box down
>> a single track road then sit with a blank expression while waiting for the oncoming
>> car to back up 1/4 of a mile. I met one of those a couple
>> of years back when I wasn't in a perticular hurry -;)
>>

Occupational hazard round our way RR as you well know. I have been known to boot the offending driver out of the cockpit and reverse it meself before now, much to the ill-disguised amusement of his wife.
Latest Forum Posts