Non-motoring > Catalina Circuit of Britain Recreation Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 30

Catalina Circuit of Britain Recreation - Crankcase
I post this

www.cambridge-news.co.uk/News/Pilots-to-recreate-Circuit-of-Britain-Flight-100-years-on-20130814100438.htm

partly because I expect some here might be interested, and partly because although I know nothing about aeroplanes, the comments would appear to imply the accompanying picture is..well..wrong.

Catalina Circuit of Britain Recreation - Zero
Yeah, the problem there is they have posted a picture of a Spitfire, and not that of a Consolidated PBY Catalina which is MUCH bigger and really very different, as it is in fact a Seaplane!

Hell of a plane the Catalina, fabulous thing.
 Catalina Circuit of Britain Recreation - No FM2R
Last time I was in Duxford the owners of the Catalina were looking for volunteer maintenance/preparation assistance in return for going with it on its trips.

Seemed like one hell of a deal to me.
 Catalina Circuit of Britain Recreation - Bromptonaut
Picture is at Duxford where the Cat is based but as Z says the machine shown is a Spitfire.

This is a Catalina

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d3/Catalina_Aviodrome.JPG

And the subject machine's website is:

www.catalina.org.uk/our-catalina-g-pbya
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 14 Aug 13 at 12:12
 Catalina Circuit of Britain Recreation - Slidingpillar
Odd and silly really. No shortage of photos of the plane and it is beautiful in a different way. I've always like seaplanes and one with wheels is a bit like having your cake and eating it.
 Catalina Circuit of Britain Recreation - Armel Coussine
>> a bit like having your cake and eating it.

Catalina wasn't the only amphibious aircraft (although I agree with Zero that it was a very nice one).

I didn't fly in the days when air transport was still a luxury. The US had Constellations and Super Constellations but we at first had Sunderland flying boats... took a lot of fuel to get those off the water. They were terrifically classy.
 Catalina Circuit of Britain Recreation - Ian (Cape Town)
Armel, the Sunderland was the military version of the Empire Flying boats.
After the war, many were converted to Sandringhams.

For a fascinating story on the subject of flying boats, read Corsairville - Imperial ditch one in Congo Belge, then go and salvage it, employing hundreds of locals at a penny a day to build a dam so they can get enough water to fly the thing out again.

taylorempireairways.com/tag/flying-boats/
 Catalina Circuit of Britain Recreation - Kevin
>I've always like seaplanes and one with wheels is a bit like having your cake and eating it.

The owners of G-PBYA aren't too keen on water operations, especially seawater. It increases the maintenance costs.
 Catalina Circuit of Britain Recreation - Meldrew
Strictly speaking a Catalina is an amphibian.
>> Strictly speaking a Catalina is an amphibian.
>>

Strictly speaking it was offered as a seaplane only version as well.
Even stricter - the original PB design flew as a flying boat in 1935, and the amphibian version was only ordered by the US Navy in 1939.
*aviation pedantry mode off*
 Catalina Circuit of Britain Recreation - Kevin
A friend and (now retired) workmate is part owner of G-PBYA.
 Catalina Circuit of Britain Recreation - legacylad
Last Monday we walked out of Plymouth en route to our first camp at Newton Ferrers on the SW Coast Path. Passing by Mount Batten we read the info boards and learnt a fair bit about the Flying Boat base there. Several types had been based there, the last being the Short Sunderland, if my memory is correct.
 Catalina Circuit of Britain Recreation - Ambo
I only caught the tail end of an announcement but I believe the Catalina will be shown flying on a programme on BBC2 on Weds 21st. at 7 p.m., perhaps with the presenter on board.

Empire Airways used Poole Harbour as a base and I believe the original control "tower" is still there, on the top floor of the marina hotel.

There is (or was) a grounded Sunderland at Calshot, on Southampton Water.

Sorry to have mislead you. I thought the programme was a weekly series but the second instalment is on RIGHT NOW.
Name of the show, please!

*oooAaaaarrrr, Jimlad!*
The show is called "Dig WW2 With Dan Snow", second of three progs. I recorded this one and haven't seen it yet.
 Catalina Circuit of Britain time table of fly past - henry k
projecthawker2013.com/schedule/
 Catalina Circuit of Britain time table of fly past - Zero
Wow thanks for that Henry, clearly we both get two good chances to see it.
>> Wow thanks for that Henry, clearly we both get two good chances to see it.
>>
Local ( Kingston) press had details but not online.
Google search saved me typing details.

Am looking forward to seeing it again. ( X 2).
So many around the UK and Ireland also get a chance to view it.
I hope the press publish details.
 Catalina Circuit of Britain time table of fly past - Kevin
>Wow thanks for that Henry, clearly we both get two good chances to see it.

Due to fly over Reading in about ten minutes from now, specifically our building on Shinfield Road, to give his old workmates a flypast.
 Catalina Circuit of Britain time table of fly past - Focusless
>> Due to fly over Reading in about ten minutes from now, specifically our building on
>> Shinfield Road, to give his old workmates a flypast.

Wild guess - ECMWF?
Early Closing, Monday Wednesday & Friday,
 Catalina Circuit of Britain time table of fly past - Alanovich

>> Wild guess - ECMWF?
>>

Subway.
 Catalina Circuit of Britain time table of fly past - Kevin
>Subway.

Hi Alanović.

You didn't come in for your Chicken & Bacon Ranch Melt today. No worries, I'll save it till Monday.
 Catalina Circuit of Britain time table of fly past - Alanovich
Cool. Have the kebab shop next door deep fry it for me and get us some chips set up.

Cheers.
 Catalina Circuit of Britain time table of fly past - crocks
Thanks for the link Henry. From another link on that site I tracked its progress today as it flew along the south coast towards the Isle of Wight, and I could see it was on schedule.

So I cycled over to Hook and joined about a hundred other people waiting near Harry Hawker's grave. It arrived only a couple of minutes behind schedule and turned over the church to head towards the Sopwith factory in Kingston.

It was flying a bit too high to make it a real photo opportunity. But I was glad I made the effort to be there.
Just been out for a dog walk and a coffee at MB world at Brooklands, where we sat in the sun and watched it come over - pretty low.
>>So I cycled over to Hook and joined about a hundred other people waiting near Harry Hawker's grave. It arrived only a couple of minutes behind schedule and turned over the church to head towards the Sopwith factory in Kingston.

I was the only bod standing on the roundabout above the Hook A3 underpass and had a good view of it flying over and then turning to Kingston.
I took some pics and daughter took some video for me.

Good to see it make the round trip.
Thanks. Looks very good.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVaQPg6Yvos
Latest Forum Posts