Non-motoring > GCSE "A" level examinations system Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 7

GCSE "A" level examinations system - L'escargot
I'm trying to get my head round the current system for GCSE "A" level examinations. Our grandson has just got his results for the first year of "A" levels and now has another year to go before taking the final examinations. Who sets the papers for the first year, who sets the papers for the final year, and who is the examining board for both years? When I took GCE "A" level, the papers for the first year were set by the school (and were therefore only internal examinations) and the papers for the final year (which was the year which resulted in you getting a certificate) were set by the University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate.
 GCSE "A" level examinations system - RattleandSmoke
The system is changing again soon but first of it is not GCSE A levels, it is still GCE A levels. Only O levels were replaced by the GCSE.

Currently you do AS levels in the first year, and A2s in the second year. It is the A2 that makes up the A level.

However university entry is partly based on a points system, so although you cannot get into university with AS levels alone the points you earn from that can help.

Both AS and A2 exams are set by an external examining board.
 GCSE "A" level examinations system - L'escargot
>> The system is changing again soon but first of it is not GCSE A levels,
>> it is still GCE A levels. Only O levels were replaced by the GCSE.
>>
>> Currently you do AS levels in the first year, and A2s in the second year.
>> It is the A2 that makes up the A level.
>>
>> However university entry is partly based on a points system, so although you cannot get
>> into university with AS levels alone the points you earn from that can help.
>>
>> Both AS and A2 exams are set by an external examining board.

Thanks, Rattle, that was exactly the information I needed.
 GCSE "A" level examinations system - No FM2R
www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/by-type/as-a-level-gce/

Its still Cambridge Assessment.
 GCSE "A" level examinations system - RattleandSmoke
Pretty sure other examining boards such as Edexcel do them too.
 GCSE "A" level examinations system - Dutchie
My question is are we getting better educated people who can think for themselves .We need to value people more who can use their hands,engineering for starters.Just my thoughts.
 GCSE "A" level examinations system - No FM2R
>>My question is are we getting better educated people who can think for themselves

Better educated, well depending on your definition then probably yes.

...who can think for themselves? No, that's not happening.
 GCSE "A" level examinations system - Dutchie
I left school at a early age to restless I suppose the way I am.Working for a big company for many years it always surprised me how little enthusiasm and go university people had.They where very rigid and towed the line what ever came their way.I was the opposite,questioning the system and why we did things a certain way made me friends and enemies..;)
Latest Forum Posts