Non-motoring > On Demand Telly Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 11

On Demand Telly - R.P.
Humax have finally activated all five (terrestrial) channels - iPlayer has been there since I bought the box and the others have slotted in over the last few months. What is clear the vast difference there is between the platforms. iPlayer stands head and shoulders above all the other efforts. Why haven't the others emulated the simplicity and user friendliness of the the original ?
 On Demand Telly - CGNorwich
Cost.
 On Demand Telly - Zero
>> Humax have finally activated all five (terrestrial) channels - iPlayer has been there since I
>> bought the box and the others have slotted in over the last few months. What
>> is clear the vast difference there is between the platforms. iPlayer stands head and shoulders
>> above all the other efforts. Why haven't the others emulated the simplicity and user friendliness
>> of the the original ?

I dont think the Iplayer one is a useability lesson for anyone, but I agree its better than the others. The C5 one is the best of the also rans.
 On Demand Telly - RattleandSmoke
I am old fashioned and I use my monitor as a TV, my monitor does have HDMI, DVI, VGA and SCART inputs so I use it as a TV too. I use my old school freeview PVR fort to record and watch corrie and use my PC for anything else.

What I have found is this:-

Iplayer - Is brilliant and try to find things to watch on that.
Youtube - 4OD - god as well, not too many adds but has a tendency to freeze even with an ethernet internet connection.
Channel 5 - Good but a bit too many adverts and if it crashes you have to watch them all again
ITV - Apart from corrie I don't watch ITV and I find most of their programs simply mind dumbing, even Channel 5 produces more intelligent stuff.
 On Demand Telly - Focusless
I think iPlayer and others depends to a certain extent on the platform it's running on. For example, iPlayer on a PC/browser is different to the iPlayer that's built into our TV, and is probably a bit different to the Humax, iOS etc. versions.

iPlayer has its quirks - when 'The Village' was on, searching for 'village' would find it, but searching for 'the village' wouldn't (can't remember if that was the PC browser version or on my iPhone).
 On Demand Telly - Mike Hannon
We've had on demand telly in France for years. Ours is called a Thomson Scenium. It has button on the side and when you want the telly you press the button and the screen lights up.
 On Demand Telly - R.P.
Ah but you're restricted to the crap being broadcast at the time not previously broadcast crap.
 On Demand Telly - Dutchie
I France all English speaking films are dubbed.Can't understand why they don't put French writing at the bottom of the screen.Like we do here with foreign films.

On Demand Telly - Mike Hannon
>>Ah but you're restricted to the crap being broadcast at the time not previously broadcast crap<<

Luckily I'm not because, apart from local news and weather and TF1 teletext news, I don't watch it. Mind you, most of that is crap.
 On Demand Telly - Fursty Ferret

>> I use my old school freeview PVR fort to record and watch corrie and use

We may have had this conversation before, but why, WHY, WHY do you watch Coronation Street?

It's truly terrible TV that reinforces bad Northern stereotypes with crap acting, lazy writing, and special effects akin to a North Korean Doctor Who remake.

The mind boggles. Apologies for any offence caused. Mostly.

Jesus... Coronation Street. How old are you again?
 On Demand Telly - Dog
>>Jesus... Coronation Street. How old are you again?

About 2013 at the last count.
 On Demand Telly - CGNorwich
Most people I think watch or read some sort entertainment that many people would think of as think of as junk, whether its the Archers, Flogit , Coronation Street the Sun or endless programs about the second world war on "Yesterday". Doesn't mean you can't appreciate more sophisticated fare. Just a way of relaxing.
Latest Forum Posts