Non-motoring > Windows Phone Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 6

Windows Phone - R.P.
Guy in work has got a new one a Nokia Lumia 500. He didn't understand it so gave it to me to me to figure - first impression was that it was tacitly nicer than my iPhone 5 - switching on revealed a very busy screen, nothing at all was intuitive about the thing, dreadful graphics. I had to read an online manual to get the thing to access the web. I'm glad he's got it as it actually makes me certain what my next phone will be.....
 Windows Phone - Zero
8I find the windows phone very intuitive, and the nokia lumias are beautifully weighted and sized touchy feely phones

* from a user perspective. Sure getting in the bowels of the phone to change stuff and personalise is *different* but but then so is an android.
 Windows Phone - legacylad
On someone's recommendation here I got a Lumia 800 on contract last Nov. By coincicidence it was only yesterday that a friend , after 2 hours, figured out how to move my pics/videos from the phone to my laptop. I had spent hours, literally, trying to sort it unsuccessfully the past 6 months.
I still have no idea how to forward pics from it to friends email addresses. Or how to send/receive emails on it. Or how to get this Nokia maps thing. which could be really useful.

But I can make phone calls on it. Surf the net (most of the time) and take pics/videos. And download apps. Even use some of them!

Sadly new fangled technology and I don't mix.
 Windows Phone - Fursty Ferret
>> 8I find the windows phone very intuitive, and the nokia lumias are beautifully weighted and
>> sized touchy feely phones
>>
>>
>> * from a user perspective. Sure getting in the bowels of the phone to change
>> stuff and personalise is *different* but but then so is an android.
>>

I have a Lumia 925 and can't see myself moving away from Windows Phone in the near future. Yeah, it's got its drawbacks (curse of global volume control for one) but for ease of use and "built in" features it's fantastic.

Everything that you need apps for on Android / iPhone (and the associated cost or adverts) just seems to be there on WP, and the apps, while fewer, are generally better quality.

* Shazam (built in).
* Translator (real-time offline translation of text via the camera).
* Facebook / Twitter (built in).
* Image searching built in.
* Voice recognition far better than Siri / Android.
* Offline maps and full offline navigation capabilities.
* Better cameras (by miles).
* Live tiles. 'nuff said.
* Skype built in.
* Office.
* Wireless charging on most Lumia phones
* Nokia Smart Cam.
* Stunning low light and high noise video recording
* etc.

There are enough apps to do what I need - Spotify, Squeezebox Remote, XBMC Remote etc and a rather splendid tool called DivvyUp which takes a photo of a restaurant receipt, OCRs it, and then works out who had what and how much they owe.

Interesting that at work the almost universal iPhone clique is slowly shifting to become about 50% iPhone, 40% Samsung, and about 10% WP.

Photo examples:

i43.tinypic.com/xm8ks4.jpg
i42.tinypic.com/26091qa.jpg
i40.tinypic.com/15rcbhj.jpg
 Windows Phone - Focusless
>> and a rather splendid tool called DivvyUp which takes a photo of a restaurant
>> receipt, OCRs it, and then works out who had what and how much they owe.

excellent! :)
Last edited by: Focusless on Tue 20 Aug 13 at 09:28
 Windows Phone - sooty123
Perfect for all the tightwads.
 Windows Phone - Duncan
>> There are enough apps to do what I need - Spotify, Squeezebox Remote, XBMC Remote
>> etc and a rather splendid tool called DivvyUp which takes a photo of a restaurant
>> receipt, OCRs it, and then works out who had what and how much they owe.
>>

How does it know that I had the spag bol, but didn't have the garlic bread?

If you went here:-

tinyurl.com/29b7rs

it would be so reasonably priced that you wouldn't have to worry about all that.
Latest Forum Posts