Non-motoring > iPhone 5 bamboozle Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 19

iPhone 5 bamboozle - Crankcase
My work provided iPhone 3GS has finally come to the end of the road. It was replaced today with an iPhone 5.

Well that's all lovely I'm sure, but I use (a lot) a Griffin itrip dual cable in the car. That is a single cable from the phone, at the base, and both charges and gives high quality audio out to feed in the cars jack socket in the centre console. Neat and effective.

My new phone has the new Apple lightning connector, and it looks as if Griffin don't do this cable with that connector. If needs be I'll get a converter, but it's one more wobbly bit of plastic hanging about.

Does anyone use or know of a dual audio/charging cable similar to the Griffin with a lightning connector? I know I could use a cheap charging cable and a cheap audio cable from the headphone socket on the phone, but that's cables everywhere.

It's this one. Link to Amazon.

tinyurl.com/mpnrcrx
 iPhone 5 bamboozle - MD
Eh!
Nice Noisy noisy wiggle through strings, Martin. Don't want two strings.
 iPhone 5 bamboozle - R.P.
I coughed up for a genuine Apple adapter for mine - seamless connection.

tinyurl.com/n32xhxr
Darned cheap. Does it support audio? The Apple Store have them at about 25 quid and the cheap ones on Amazon say they don't do audio. The one you posted doesn't say.
 iPhone 5 bamboozle - Old Navy
A freebie phone and you are squealing about the price of a connector to play your music? Why don't you ask your boss to provide one. :-)
Not the price, just the price difference. 3 quid seems unlikely to be the same 25 quid product, and anyway, I was trying to avoid a connector at all if possible.
 iPhone 5 bamboozle - Zero
>> Not the price, just the price difference. 3 quid seems unlikely to be the same
>> 25 quid product, and anyway, I was trying to avoid a connector at all if
>> possible.

I have the answer, I am avoiding the Iphone 5.

I tried that. Can't get the 4 anymore via work. Not an option.
 iPhone 5 bamboozle - Boxsterboy

>> I have the answer, I am avoiding the Iphone 5.
>>

Me too. Because of the connector, the larger size nd the rubbish maps compared to the in-built Google Map on the 4s.
 iPhone 5 bamboozle - rtj70
>> Me too. Because of the connector, the larger size nd the rubbish maps compared to the in-
>> built Google Map on the 4s

Don't update the phone then! Or you might be displeased.
Don't forget you can download Google maps as an app now. I appreciate it doesn't get used for anything that's inbuilt, as it were, but at least its still available to you.

Frankly, I use neither the Apple map nor the Google map anyway on a regular basis, so I'm all right. Jack.

iPhone 5 bamboozle - MD
Oh!
An official Apple Lightning to 30 pin adapter ought to offer audio out. But the Lightning connector is purely digital and the phone would be outputting audio via USB probably and the adapter is converting to an analogue signal.

Who knows what a cheap converter does... Apple tried to stop others producing unofficial adapters by needing a chip in the cable/adapter which they've approved.

If this was me... I'd wonder if the alternative iTrip universal adapter was better. Or a new head unit that offers Bluetooth (or even just aux line in). Leaves only charging for the phone in car to sort out. And if a new head unit supports Bluetooth it will offer handsfree calls and probably allow USB sticks and SD cards too.

My car supports as standard Bluetooth Audio Streaming. Never really used it. I have a 16GB SD card in the same head unit to access music. And it reads MP3 written to CDs.
Wow, that's pretty comprehensive! Thanks.

I gave up. The twists and turns are so boring the forum would collectively fall asleep if I explained, but the end result is I splashed out 25 quid at the Apple Store today and put on a lightning converter.

Not at all my preferred solution, but it works, luckily.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 20 Aug 13 at 19:16
Thanks for reporting back it worked. The original 30-pin connector was pretty flexible with line-out (not headphones out so pre-amp), USB, Firewire... and a fair few more connections that were of use.

I would think the smaller connector is a real benefit to Apple packaging wise. But they could have gone for Micro USB and offered all they do, with intelligence in converters. But this is Apple. The Lightning connector itself allows you to plug it in either way around but this relies on circuitry to connect the connections the right way around - it does not double the connectors.... it swaps them around if plugged in the wrong way. Extra, unnecessary complexity?

I am not surprised the converter you bought works. Think of all the docks that Apple would have rendered useless. Some of them very expensive. But I wouldn't assume a cheap alternative works... or was not stopped from working by a software update on an iPhone 5 or later. Remember it's checking for a chip in the connecting cable.

I use a Mac all the time and used to use an iPod touch (still have it but unused and worthless... should give it away).... but some of Apple's ways annoys me as much as Microsoft.
Some judicious Internet pokery had led me to believe the cheaper ones might be dodgy. So I thought the pukka thing was the way to go.

I noted keenly that the glum man in the Apple Store said it only might work, and lots come back because the connector doesn't actually work with whatever kit the buyer has got. At least he promised a refund if it failed.

So yes, I was lucky it did work with the Griffin lead.
 iPhone 5 bamboozle - Mapmaker
Funny, I thought that all mobile phone manufacturers had agreed that all phones would use the same converter so as to reduce waste.
Apple didn't agree that they would use a Micro USB connection for charging.
 iPhone 5 bamboozle - Zero
Apple is "not all mobile phone manufacturers"
Latest Forum Posts