Non-motoring > house flies Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 13

house flies - bathtub tom
I'm staying with friends on their farm. Anyone who's stayed on a farm will know the house is plagued with flies.

They've been told a 'cure' is to put a couple of inches of water and a few copper coins in a clear plastic bag, tie a knot at the top and hang it in a window.

The thing is, it seems to work! There definitely appears to be a reduction in the number of flies.

Anyone come across this before who can explain what's going on?

I'm sceptical.
 house flies - Focusless
Haven't read it all yet, but...
science.howstuffworks.com/zoology/insects-arachnids/water-bags-repel-flies.htm
 house flies - borasport
science.howstuffworks.com/zoology/insects-arachnids/water-bags-repel-f
lies.htm

lordy - 5 pages of waffle summed up as 'it might be something to do with refraction or it may be complete balderdash'
Last edited by: borasport on Tue 20 Aug 13 at 17:09
 house flies - Ted

No farm round here....but then it is Salford !

www.salfordstar.com/article.asp?id=1908

What do you call a fly with no wings ?

A walk !

Ted
 house flies - devonite
My Grandkids have each an electric tennis raquet fly swat! - hours of fun for them, no Fly (or ornament) is safe. - probably see them a Wimbledon next year!!
 house flies - Mike Hannon
They've been around here for years - now a couple of euros in the cheapy shops. My last one has lasted long enough to have its batteries replaced twice.
I bought a brilliant new idea one the other day - two big flat hands that you cock in position with a thing like a crossbow which you then fire with a trigger that 'claps' the fly. Brilliant eh?
I've bought a couple for friends in England but I think the flies may be gone by the time I get over.
 house flies - Telb
Hanging bunches of bay leaves around the house is supposed to work too. No idea if it does and if so why it does though.
 house flies - Cliff Pope
>> Hanging bunches of bay leaves around the house is supposed to work too. No idea
>> if it does and if so why it does though.
>>

Hanging a fly-paper works even better.
It's something to do with a) attracting flies, and b) being sticky.
 house flies - Dog
I'm surrounded by farmland here, and I use www.wilko.com/jml/jml-snap-screen-white/invt/0323987?VBMST=fly screen to keep all the blimmin flies out.
 house flies - corax
House flies are really stupid, unlike blue bottles. If you open a window to let them out, they just fly in the opposite direction. Blue bottles seem to be much more aware of their surroundings, and will usually fly out straight away.

When you try to swat them they will hide against dark backgrounds then just as you start eating dinner they magically appear on your meat and two veg.
 house flies - Alanovich

>> When you try to swat them they will hide against dark backgrounds then just as
>> you start eating dinner they magically appear on your meat and two veg.
>>

I would suggest wearing some sort of trouser type garment when dining.
 house flies - corax
>> I would suggest wearing some sort of trouser type garment when dining.

I'll settle for a napkin.
 house flies - Alanovich
Or do up your flies.
 house flies - Ted

Our napkins aren't big enough ! Have to use a tea-towel !

Ted
Latest Forum Posts