Non-motoring > Wooden freezer drawer Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 17

Wooden freezer drawer - Rudedog
Before I start a 'fix it' project on my freezer I just need your thoughts on what I'm going to do and what problems I might face.

The problem is that two of my freezer drawer front panels have broken, I've tried epoxy glue on them but after a while it came undone. Now I have two drawers where every time I open the door I have to dodge frozen items trying to crush my feet as they crash to the floor.

I've looked on several electrical internet shops that sell spares but for my freezer each drawer front is £32!

My fix-it idea is to make replacement panels using thin plywood with a hole cut out for a handle and I'd probably fix them to the basket using heavy duty zip ties.

Do you think is will work OK?
 Wooden freezer drawer - No FM2R
I don't know about using wood.

However, I did just make a front to a freezer basket using a supermarket shopping basket that I attacked with a hacksaw and a grinder.

Just in case the thought helps.
 Wooden freezer drawer - rtj70
Araldite?
 Wooden freezer drawer - Crankcase
If it's a common one, Gumtree or Freecycle one for nothing or pennies, use the drawer fronts, grab any other bits for spares, tip what's left?.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 20 Aug 13 at 21:23
 Wooden freezer drawer - rtj70
If it's a 'known make' then check out actual spare parts? Might be worth checking at least. But who knows what else might go wrong, rendering this poor value as a fix. A new freezer might be an option.... :-) Our under counter freezer (in the cellar mind) was not too expensive... but I doubled up Tesco clubcard points and got it for a good price.
 Wooden freezer drawer - Old Navy
Could you acquire an estate agents for sale sign? The plastic is easily cut to size and can then be cable tied in place.
 Wooden freezer drawer - Zero
>> Could you acquire an estate agents for sale sign? The plastic is easily cut to
>> size and can then be cable tied in place.

Not sutiable these days, they re made from very thin corrugated type plastic.

I'd be down the DIY shed for some thick plexiglass and cut to size.
 Wooden freezer drawer - Harleyman
Have you tried asking on your local Freecycle page?
 Wooden freezer drawer - Falkirk Bairn
Takingmy old fridge & freezer to the tip I spotted 2/3 of the same make/type - our problem was the compressor / thermostat /icing up ....the drawers /shelves etc were 100% - so a visit toa recycling/local authority tip might be a good idea.

The new Fridge & Freezer has reduced to daily power consumption by 4 units per day - say 60p or £200 / year.........the cost of the new kit should pay for itself in 5 years - they were £500 each but are big!.
 Wooden freezer drawer - Rudedog
Well it's a Bosch frost-free freezer and apart from the draw fronts has been very reliable so I wouldn't want to get rid of it, I've tried the various spares websites and they want silly money for an official front panel, I thought of ply because I had some to hand but maybe I'll have a look on eBay for a clear perspex sheet of the right size and cut that.

I just wonder why they use such a hard plastic that becomes so brittle at -18ºc.
 Wooden freezer drawer - CGNorwich
"Do you think is will work OK?"

Plywood will probably warp - marine ply might work but it's going to look pretty awful held on with zip ties. You won't be able to see what's in there either.

Personally I would shell for a proper replacement drawers if its under 10 years old and oherwise in good nick or cut my losses and get a new freezer if its getting on in years
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 20 Aug 13 at 23:06
 Wooden freezer drawer - henry k
Maybe cut two drawer fronts from one of the storage boxess and use plastic "P" clips to attach them ?
 Wooden freezer drawer - VxFan
Depending on the severity of the break, and the material it's made of - superglue?

One of the plastic drawer front panels on our freezer broke on the corner. Over 3 years on and the superglue is still holding.

Alternately, something like the plastic used in wheelie bins (not your own obviously) or a lid off one of the old smaller recycling boxes that preceded them cut to size/shape to fit.
 Wooden freezer drawer - AnotherJohnH
I don't know if your Bosch is built anything like a freezer we have, but -

it has 6 drawer fronts, 3 hinged, and 3 pull out wire trays.

the fronts are identical and a broken hinged front can be swapped with one from a wire tray as the hinge part isn't used to clip the front to a wire tray.

needs the plastic parts at room temperature, and a bit of care and basket flexing to remove and fit the front to a basket.

the hinge pivots are fixed to the freezer body with a self tapper which needs to be removed to slide the pivot out to get the new front back located, then all slid back and the self tapper refitted.

your mileage may vary.
 Wooden freezer drawer - Cliff Pope
Something like this?

www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Icebox-oak-or-ash-brass-hardware-nice-two-door-ice-box-/271258600497?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2845c431
 Wooden freezer drawer - spamcan61
>>
>> The problem is that two of my freezer drawer front panels have broken, I've tried
>> epoxy glue on them but after a while it came undone. Now I have two
>> drawers where every time I open the door I have to dodge frozen items trying
>> to crush my feet as they crash to the floor.
>>
>> My fix-it idea is to make replacement panels using thin plywood with a hole cut
>> out for a handle and I'd probably fix them to the basket using heavy duty
>> zip ties.
>>
Not terribly helpful I know, but I have exactly the same problem and intend using exactly the same solution!
 Wooden freezer drawer - Lygonos
Since you're obviously not caring about the aesthetics, use gaffer tape.
 Wooden freezer drawer - henry k
>> Since you're obviously not caring about the aesthetics, use gaffer tape.
>>
For the same approach but much better appearance for not much £s

www.wickes.co.uk/invt/600721

Much much better for long term use and outside use.
Better than gaffer / duct tape and that rubbish brown packing tape.
I always keep some in stack.

I smile when I see car bumper smothered in tape than is peeling/ washing off when this is the pretty and better stuff to use.
Last edited by: henry k on Wed 21 Aug 13 at 18:58
Latest Forum Posts