Non-motoring > New logo phones and where to hide them Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 14

New logo phones and where to hide them - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23782136
 New logo phones and where to hide them - sherlock47
Ill thought out out to ban the sale to prevent use in the prison population as they will still get into the UK from abroad, and hence into prisons. Since 7000 mobiles (tip of iceberg?) were confiscated in prisons last year, surely much better to concentrate on installing blocking /monitoring technology in what is only a few institutions in the UK.
 New logo phones and where to hide them - Meldrew
Despite the use and ownership of mobiles being illegal in prisons using blocking technology would doubtless turn out to be a breach of the poor darling's human rights! Seriously I think it might be hard to block signals in some of the very old thick walled prisons but I am not a telecoms expert!
 New logo phones and where to hide them - CGNorwich
I seem to remember that the Scots intended to pass legislation to make blocking mobile phone signals in prisons possible.

However there would be a lot of practical difficulties. Many prisons (Norwich for example) are in populated areas and you would have to ensure that the blocking did not extend beyond the walls of the prison
 New logo phones and where to hide them - Cliff Pope
It's silly trying to ban inventions. They will get through anyway.
The next generation of phones will be implanted microchips, activated by brainwaves.

Another approach would be to accept that prisoners have mobile phones, but to restrict their freedoms in other ways. Just let them talk as much as they want.
 New logo phones and where to hide them - Zero
So let me see. We have to ban any items that might be used by prisoners in Jail. So all knives and forks will be banned, right? Lighters? ipods?

The rest of the population have to be restricted? Who the hell is doing time, us or them?

Pathetic. Someone should be saying to the prison authorities "so you are worried prisoners may get these things? well damn well fix it, that is your damn job. if you cant do it, get out and let someone else do it who can"
 New logo phones and where to hide them - Manatee
Topical item from Anna Raccoon

www.annaraccoon.com/politics/bizarre-things-you-are-paying-for-number-279/
 New logo phones and where to hide them - zookeeper
I wonder if you can get a ring piece - ear piece connector?
 New logo phones and where to hide them - RattleandSmoke
I think phone blocking technology is actually illegal in England hence the reason it is not used in prisons.
>> I think phone blocking technology is actually illegal in England hence the reason it is
>> not used in prisons.

Yes, given that Police Airwave radios are in effect, mobile phones, they would get blocked too.
 New logo phones and where to hide them - rtj70
Instead of putting scanners and s search procedures in prisons to stop these phones (because banning them for the UK won't stop them getting into the UK will it)... can they not have detectors to pick up on the frequencies used by mobile phone (so 850MHz, 900MHz, 1800MHz, 1900MHz, 2100MHZ and 2600MHz ranges)? I know they are spread over a few bands etc. and there's signals on these bands from base stations and legit phones. But there shouldn't be anything sending on these signals in a prison.

Probably not practical?
 New logo phones and where to hide them - RattleandSmoke
It depends what frequency the police radios etc use. I suspect it will be a totally different frequency to mobile phones.

The problem is a prison is densely populated, even if they detected mobile phone use it would be difficult to actually locate the mobile phone without busting all the cells.

>> It depends what frequency the police radios etc use. I suspect it will be a
>> totally different frequency to mobile phones.

Airwave is in effect, a closed mobile phone Network, piggybacked on O2
 New logo phones and where to hide them - Slidingpillar
Given that the rules are set by government, if they wanted to make the use of cellphone blockers legal in prisons, they could.
 New logo phones and where to hide them - Fullchat
Stop visitors. Sorted.
Latest Forum Posts