Non-motoring > Places to eat n drink near Covent Gdn Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 13

Places to eat n drink near Covent Gdn - legacylad
Friends have secured £20 return train tickets Leeds/Kings X, arriving mid pm next Sunday returning early Monday evening. Staying in LSE Halls near CG. Any recommendations for good pubs in the area, and value eats (myself likes proper burgers on my jollies). Also any exhibitions....art or otherwise without spending ages on the tube Monday. Just a very short trip to see what city life is all about.
 Places to eat n drink near Covent Gdn - bathtub tom
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100004107172951&directed_target_id=0

www.nationalgallery.org.uk/

If you do the latter, I usually drop into St Martin-in-the-fields for a coffee-in-the-crypt!
 Places to eat n drink near Covent Gdn - Manatee
>>recommendations for good pubs

Good Beer Guide. The eye phone app is the easiest way to use it, £5. I don't buy the book any more.

Not in the GBG, IIRC, but Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese is about 10 minutes walk away on Fleet Street - I like it because I like Sam Smith's bitter.

>>myself likes proper burgers on my jollies

www.hamburger-me.com/p/best-burgers-in-london-top-10.html

Places to eat n drink near Covent Gdn - Zero
food 'n drink, too mamy to mention, places to go? its London, too many to mention. However, you are in CG, so the obvious place to see is the London Transport Museum.
 Places to eat n drink near Covent Gdn - Bromptonaut
Agree with Z about the LT Museum. There's always lots going on around the Piazza with street performers and musicians etc too. PLenty more sights etc within walking distance.

As to eateries all the usual chains (Wetherspoons, Garfunkels, Cafe Rouge) etc are well represented. I share Manatee's liking for Samuel Smiths, as well as the Old Cheshire Cheese in Fleet St I think the Lyceum in the Strand is one of there's too.

If you want to push the boat out Rules in Maiden Lane is a possibility www.rules.co.uk/home. Or you could treat your OH to afternoon tea at the Savoy.

My personal reccomend would be the Spaghetti House at junction of Sicilian Avenue and Vernon Place - near Holborn tube. Not much in way of burgers but honest Italian grub at what are, for London, very reasonable prices.

Places to eat n drink near Covent Gdn - Meldrew
Excellent value chain of 4 restaurants. Bistro1, one is in Southampton Street, leading from Covent Garden down to the Strand. bistro1.co.uk/london-restaurants/covent-garden/

You are near National Gallery, National Portrait Gallery and the Mall Gallery which is just thru Admiralty Arch, on your right
 Places to eat n drink near Covent Gdn - Duncan
The Prince of Wales (the pub, not the bloke) is good. Corner of Drury Lane.

No, it's not a Wetherspoons!

www.taylor-walker.co.uk/pub/prince-of-wales-covent-garden/c0659/
Thanks for all your info...normally when visiting London it has been with my partner, but not on this occasion. A group of us are staying at the LSE digs on Drury Lane for one night, so a planning meeting was called for tonight.
Looks like several pubs (as per the GBG) en route from Kings X to Drury Lane. Monday am I shall visit the LT Museum (£15 entry. heck) before we regroup at Borough Mkt lunch time prior to our early evening train back to Leeds.
After several pubs it could all go horribly wrong. as it frequently does on these trips!
 Places to eat n drink near Covent Gdn - Armel Coussine
Let me recommend the Calthorpe, on the corner of Calthorpe St, just a few hundred yards south of King's Cross, first decent boozer you come to. Young's. Don't drink a lot of Special or you won't make it much further.
 Places to eat n drink near Covent Gdn - Mapmaker
www.gordonswinebar.com/default.php - great fun wine bar (no, not remotely stuffy, popular with all types from backpackers to bankers) on Villiers St.

www.herman-ze-german.co.uk/ on Villiers St too.

You're round the corner from Chinatown. Which can be hit and miss. But this place manchurianlegends.com/ has had rave reviews - for all that it seems to have changed its name; I'm going the next time I go for a Chinese. If you want cheap, go for the excellent dumplings here. goo.gl/maps/7u7HP

Thanks for the info MM

Some of my friends intend to eat a Chinese meal. However, being a Bradfordian, I prefer Indian subcontinent dishes. Cheap of course. Not much chance of a 3 course curry for under a tenner, so might go 'exotic'. Burger or pizza.
I'm happy to report a successful time was had by all.
Apart from the lashing rain which began late Monday am and didn't let up until we boarded the train early evening in Kings X. It was fine & dry when we arrived Sunday afternoon.
The LSE B & B in Drury Lane was decent value & ideally located for Covent Garden....our favourite pubs were the Salisbury (St Martins Lane) Harp (Chandos Place)Cross Keys (Endell St) Market Porter & The Rake near Borough Market. Doggetts, just south of the river near Blackfriars Bridge proved a good meeting place to 'regroup' at lunchtime. Several others less memorable but a lot to cram into 26 hours in the capitol. Glad to get home to sub £3 beers & £5 curries.
Decent food at the sausage place on the edge of Borough Mkt, lovely Toulouse sausage in a bun, and good value at Bistro 1. Thanks for that advice.
A fun night at the Comedy Store, Sunday...7.30 till 9.30, but why do the pubs kick you out at 11 on a Sunday? Mine doesn't!
We may return next year once we've saved up.
 Places to eat n drink near Covent Gdn - Meldrew
Thanks for the feedback I am glad Bistro1 met with your approval too!
 Places to eat n drink near Covent Gdn - Ralp Mullin
I agree that are many place their to mention for looking a good place to eat.
Latest Forum Posts