Non-motoring > To Gordon Bennet.. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 15

To Gordon Bennet.. - MD
Hi GB. Over time when footwear was being discussed you mentioned some boots that you highly recommended. Could they have been DeWalt by chance? It's just that I will be off to Tromso for a break late winter early spring and I need something sturdy and waterproof if possible. Wellies not a poss' for anyone thinking of suggesting them!! The heavy walking variety not required, just warm and dry.

Thanks...........MD
 To Gordon Bennet.. - -
Hi MD, yes indeed they are DeWalts, Challenger 2 goretex jobbies, available in sand colour and black.

Essentially they are a rated safety working boot, so steel toe caps and a flexible steel insole and no sharp objects penetrate, quite how they made such a tough boot so comfortable/flexible from day one and as long lasting i can't work out.

Hope you find them as good as i have if you get some.

Enjoy the well deserved break anyway.

To Gordon Bennet.. - MD
Muchas grassyarse Sir. Take care...........
 To Gordon Bennet.. - corax
Many happy reviews on Amazon for them. I've been looking at goretex safety boots for this winter and ordered Cofra Winchesters.

www.amazon.co.uk/Cofra-GORE-TEX-Winchester-Hiker-Safety/dp/B008BTE7U6

Apparently very light and need no breaking in, but if I'm not happy I might look at Challengers as an alternative.
 To Gordon Bennet.. - -
Never heard of those before C, the DeWalts were recommended to me and i never looked back.

To Gordon Bennet.. - MD
I really don't want to buy footwear over the net. Where can I try them on I wonder....
 To Gordon Bennet.. - Roger.
Buying shoes untried is a no-no, generally.
I bought my recent Hotter shoes via the web, after trying on the type I wanted in the shop and thus establishing that their size 10 would fit.
The colour I wanted was not in stock at the shop so I ordered on-line.
I managed to find a fiver discount code which more than offset the £3.95 delivery charge!
I will order M & S stuff on-line for collection at our local M&S Simply Food, but only if I know that it's standard stuff which will fit me. Underpants for example!
The only other time I bought shoes on-line was from ASOS - a pair of driving shoes - and their size 10s just would not go on my feet at all.
Luckily they have a no-cost return arrangement.
 To Gordon Bennet.. - Slidingpillar
I never buy shoes without trying them as I don't have English feet! Most mens shoes in the UK are F or G width fitting, with plenty of stockists advertising extra wide fittings. I don't have clodhoppers, my true width fitting is a C.

If I'm lucky, I might find a pair that nearly fits in a large shoe shop. I don't chose what I need or fancy, mine is a simple choice, take it or leave it - if anything actually fits at all that is. Last time I bought shoes I bought 2 pairs the same after I found a style I could wear after adding an insole.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Mon 16 Sep 13 at 22:44
 To Gordon Bennet.. - VxFan
I've only bought footwear on-line if I've previously owned an exact pair and therefore know that they fit.
 To Gordon Bennet.. - -
Try your nearest workwear shop, if they are a DeWalt stockist.

My first pair came from such a place.
 To Gordon Bennet.. - madf
Clarks shoes are great online. Often end of range discounts up to 50% and consistent sizing...
 To Gordon Bennet.. - Dutchie
I got a nice pair of working boots from Makro,few years ago steelcaps lightwear and fifteen quid.
 To Gordon Bennet.. - corax
Well, I ordered the Cofra Winchester's and wasn't happy. Looked good in the pictures but they had too much padding around the ankles rubbing them sore, and on the right foot where the boot bends, the crease was cutting into the top of my foot.

So I sent them back (unfortunately at my own expense), and have just taken delivery of a pair of DeWalt Challengers. Wow. Comfortable straight from the box, and they even seem to have decent insoles, something that many safety boot manufacturers cut back on. Very impressed, and no doubt they'll be given the test this winter.

All I can say MD, is if you need steel toe caps get them now - GB is right :)
 To Gordon Bennet.. - -
Glad you're comfy in 'em Corax, the fit like an old slipper straight from the box has been my experience every single time too.

You're right about the insole, after about 18 months it gets a bit thin under the heel but i've never had anything break or split, never leaked either, the laces last about a year for me which is far in excess of anything else tried.

To Gordon Bennet.. - MD
Would also like to add/ask are they suitable for a wide (G) fitting.?
 To Gordon Bennet.. - -
The things we do above and beyond the call of duty for our virtual mates..:-)

I have no idea what fitting my plates are MD, but just for you SWMBO has measured them in proper money, other measurements i'll have to use metric to impress.

Foot flat on the ground length 11.5", measured round the ball of the foot at the widest point 10.5", and i take a size 11 boot, i think the boot would easily take another inch or more in width circumference as when laced they are almost closed up completely.

No stockists in your area to go and try a pair?

Amazon are probably your best bet if you have to buy blind, no problem returning them at all.

Latest Forum Posts