Non-motoring > IOS7 - will you won't you? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 120

IOS7 - will you won't you? - Crankcase
For Apple device owners - are you planning on upgrading over the next few days when IOS7 is released?

Not sure about this flat view thing, but have to wait and see. Tweaks to Safari look interesting, but don't care about twitter integration as I don't use it. Don't think I'll be putting my passwords in the cloud, thank you.

I have no interest in "instagram" type filters for photos either, and I'm not enamoured of the "all caps" approach to the photo app. Seems like a step backwards.

Control centre looks to be an improvement, as long as I can remember to swipe up.

Airdrop might be useful ish sometimes.

I have no doubt there will be some hiccups though, so holding off for a little bit to see.

Who's diving in with the update?
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - Zero
Not me. Iphone 4 owner so there is no benefit in my upgrading, and it may even slow the phone down a tad.

And you are right. NEVER load X.0 of any software release for anything.
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - Old Navy
OK own up, which one of you techie geeks is this. I realise he looks too young to be Zero. :-)

tinyurl.com/ndprrs9
And there, in a nutshell, is why the Mail is such ridiculous waste of news print and bandwidth.

The madness begins! Apple fans begin queuing outside

Err make that one teenager after his 15 mins of fame.
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - Dog
Ee'd be better orf in a bivvy I'll wager, answers on a postcard as to what he might catch though :(
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - VxFan
>> OK own up, which one of you techie geeks is this.

What's stopping anyone standing between his tent and the entrance to the store? Geekboy doesn't look like he could punch his way out of a paper bag, let alone fight off any queue jumpers.

>> Err make that one teenager after his 15 mins of fame.

His equally sad friend is there too.

"The teen, who set up camp yesterday with friend Noah Green, also 17"

Obviously their parents have more money than sense.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 18 Sep 13 at 10:21
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - legacylad
Shame he wasn't there last Sunday/Monday when we were in London. A short discussion on 'how to get a life' would have been in order.
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - CGNorwich
Why the hostility? Not harming anyone, going about his life peacefully doing what he wants to do.
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - Pat
Well said CG.

Pat
>> Not harming anyone, going about his life peacefully doing what he wants to do.

Causing an obstruction on the pavement?

If he were a cardboard box dweller he'd have been moved on by now.
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - Pat
Can't we just for once, live and let live?

Accept that our own pleasures in life are not a pleasure for everyone else, and that theirs are not our choice?

Life is short enough as it is so let's enjoy it as we want to as long as we're not hurting anyone else...I'm sure you can step around that obstruction, VX.

Pat
>> Can't we just for once, live and let live?

Nope. We are a nation that like to put the world to right by having a good old moan about other people.

I'm sure however that the Apple store that he's camped outside of are loving the publicity he's creating.
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - Bromptonaut
>> If he were a cardboard box dweller he'd have been moved on by now.

More and more of these in London. How long before we're back twenty years and seeing 'squatter camps' in the capital's open spaces?. In fact coverage in the Standard suggests Roma migrants are already establishing such places.

My office in 1990-95 overlooked Lincoln's Inn Fields with 40-50 tents and assorted lean too/bivvy type constructions. The park became a no-go area for lunchers and office girls wanting playing netball who's previously enjoyed it.
Pat says this forum is boring and going down hill.

How can that be so? We have morphed a thread about a technical geeky question into one about tramps in cardboard boxes in Lincoln Inn Fields in less than 9 moves.

come on, round of applause, thats outstanding chaps.

IOS7 - will you won't you? - Bromptonaut
>> How can that be so? We have morphed a thread about a technical geeky question
>> into one about tramps in cardboard boxes in Lincoln Inn Fields in less than 9
>> moves.
>>
>> come on, round of applause, thats outstanding chaps.

Have a green thumb on me Z!! (to counter previous scowlies)
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - Duncan
>> The park became a no-go area for lunchers and office girls wanting playing
>> netball who's previously enjoyed it.
>>

And blokes wanting to watch them!
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - R.P.
Just downloaded it to my iPad - the look isn't quite as appealing - little machine is certainly a bit faster - dunno where Apple are at these days.
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - Focusless
Just downloaded it to my (company) iPhone 5. Yes it looks different - I quite like it - but I think the novelty will wear off pretty quickly. It'll probably take me a while to spot the differences in functionality.
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 19 Sep 13 at 08:32
>> Not me. Iphone 4 owner so there is no benefit in my upgrading, and it
>> may even slow the phone down a tad.

Just done my i4. Only thing noticed so far is that Real Racing 3 occasionally stutters (but it did that before so might be just a co-incidence), but apart from that it hasn't appeared to slow it down at all.

I don't like the whiteness of some of the backgrounds. The App icons look more cartoonish, and some of the layout in general takes some getting used to.
I do like the new folder layout, where you can store loads more Apps than before and right/left swipe to access them just like you would to access the next page of Apps on the normal pages.

Only thingthat took a long time was the update itself. Just over 2 hours.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 20 Sep 13 at 01:12
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - Meldrew
I won't be touching IOS7 - what is in it for me? I waited 6 months to install IOS6 and my iphone still works but I see no difference in the interface or performance.
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - movilogo
I have an iPad 1 (bought in 2011). Still stuck in iOS 4.3. Can upgrade to 5 but read horror stories of apps crashing all the time so didn't bother.

Can't upgrade to 6 onwards. The device still works but increasingly more & more apps now require iOS 6 or above. Without apps, iPad is paper weight.

No more Apple device for me.

>> Can't upgrade to 6 onwards. The device still works but increasingly more & more apps
>> now require iOS 6 or above. Without apps, iPad is paper weight.
>>
>> No more Apple device for me.

I know there are Android devices running old versions which can't be upgraded - it's not just Apple, is it?
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - movilogo
Actually it is only Apple!

My Android phone runs 2.3 and still majority of apps in Google Play can run on it. I am yet to find an app there (which I need) which I can't run because of running older version.

Proportion of apps that require latest iOS is far higher in Apple's world.

Fair enough - and I guess it's doubly annoying given the premium you pay for Apple kit.
>> I won't be touching IOS7

You will have to eventually when your Apps are no longer supported. Resistance is futile.
>> >> I won't be touching IOS7
>>
>> You will have to eventually when your Apps are no longer supported. Resistance is futile.

Not the case. The apps are. now working fine on 6. If you don't accept updates to them, they will continue to work quite happily that way. For ever.

The only ones that wont, are those that connect to a data source and require you to pay a large sum every year. Like the F1 app from the FIA. It was good app, they got greedy and they got the elbow.

IMPORTANT - Security holes unearthed in Apple's iOS7

www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24170429

Disable "Access on lock screen" in the control centre of the settings menu until Apple release an update for this error.
I've emailed everyone in our office - thanks Dave.
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - borasport
Downloading it at the moment - it's a company phone, so if it fails, IT can sort it and I'll have a quiet weekend

I don't normally rush to grab updates (being responsible for releasing software..... ) but I play audiobooks on the phone, using bluetooth pass it through the car audio, and even with precious little else running, bluetooth saps the battery - with IOS7 turning bluetooth on/off should be an awful lot easier
Downloaded it to my iPhone lst night, seems to move a bit quicker now. I rather like the interface.
A friend/colleague mentioned that both his iPhone4S and iPad (2 I think) keep freezing up, especially upon unlocking the device when he swipes across the screen when told to "swipe to unlock"

Just happened to me as well. Also, when typing it can miss out letters from words if you type too quick. Almost like there's a pregnant pause with it.
As Zero said, processing probably too slow on a 4.
Got a text this afternoon - "If you're planning to install the latest iOS7 software from Apple, please ensure you update and log into you mybarclaycard app before you install iOS7".

Doh! :)
What I do like (this is on an iPhone) - on the home screen, if you tilt the phone up, the background/wallpaper moves behind the icons, giving a sort of 3D effect. Nice touch.
Spent a few minutes with it today - well impressed, smoothed the phone out no end. Got used to the slightly cartoonish look now - what you can do from the start screen without actually unlocking it is useful, in particular the torch feature. Well designed and very slick.
>> what you can do from the start screen without actually unlocking it is useful,

Yes, especially for a thief who can put it into airplane mode so you can't use 'findmyphone' to locate it and he doesn't have to turn the phone off. Also unless you've got in the settings to delete everything after 10 failed PIN entry attempts, the thief can try guessing the PIN without worrying about you trying to locate the phone.

>> in particular the torch feature.

It is carp compared to the many torch Apps available. No brightness control, and doesn't switch itself off when you press the home button. If the phone auto locks while using it then you have to unlock the phone to switch it off again.
>> What I do like (this is on an iPhone) - on the home screen, if
>> you tilt the phone up, the background/wallpaper moves behind the icons, giving a sort of
>> 3D effect. Nice touch.

However...

Today's AppGratis email states: "Cute, pointless, or sickening, it's a battery vampire. To disable it, just do the following:

>> Settings >> General >> Accessibility >> Reduce Motion >> On"

:o
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - swiss tony
Security warning......

www.zdnet.com/four-privacy-settings-you-should-enable-in-ios-7-immediately-7000020902/
you're not selling this to me guys. I'm not feeling the love.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 22 Sep 13 at 14:19
Word on the street - well, interwebs- is that 7.01 and 7.02 are already being tested. Reckon I'll be waiting a bit. Can't be doing with less battery life for one.

As I said, touch anything X.0 at your peril.
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - Meldrew
Put it onto my iphone, don't much care for it but the back-up I made before installation won't take me back to IOS6!
Thanks for that - very useful info.
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - Fursty Ferret
Just bunged it on the work ipad. It's fantastic, in exactly the same way that Police Academy 7 is "fantastic".
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - Boxsterboy
Our eldest updated his iPod and raved about it. Mrs BB updated her iPhone and hates it (which did cause me to snigger...) The font is too thin, calendars are not as clear as they used to be, etc. She complained in Apple store (along with a couple of other people) none of whom were pleased to be told that thy can't revert to an earlier OS.

Come upgrade time she will be looking at a non-Apple product.
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - No FM2R
Wife has iPhone 7 iPad and I upgraded them both last weekend.

I'm no fan of Apple stuff, and don't know much about it, but my 20 minute impression was that it was easy to use and pleasant on the iPad and an irritating pain on the iPhone.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 14 Oct 13 at 00:57
Most annoying thing I've found so far is the Safari browser. I much prefered the little icon in the bottom right hand corner that let me decide whether I wanted full screen or one with the forward/backward/favourite toolbars at the bottom. I find the automated version a PITA.
Similarly when scrolling up a web page I keep accidentally launching the control centre - grrrr! I might have to disable it altogether in the settings menu rather than just when the phone is locked.
-1 for the calendar too. Another thing that is now useless. I might try and find a 3rd party App instead of the Apple effort.
Why do you use an iPhone as opposed to an Android or Windows Phone?

My wife prefers it, but I can't work out why.
>> Why do you use an iPhone

Mainly based on good reviews from colleagues and friends who've got them. I only know of a couple of people with an Android phone and for starters the build quality is carp compared to an iPhone.

Up until now the IOS has been fine. I guess it's like when your favourite pair of slippers are thrown away and the replacements just don't feel right.
Not really seeing any build quality difference between my Galaxy S4 and my wife's iPhone. Didn't notice that my previous HTC was lacking, either.

I just find everything so difficult to do on an Apple, but then I know more about Android. Although, there are a couple of niggles on the Samsung, but nothing major.

I've always found the interface on the iPhone to be a bit outdated, but this new one doesn't seem great - quite cumbersome it seems to me.

I got on with it ok on the iPad, but not so much on the iPhone.
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - swiss tony
>> Why do you use an iPhone?

I don't and I never will.... But IMHO

Brilliant marketing on Apples part.
Plus the sheep syndrome.... ;-)

>> Brilliant marketing on Apples part.
>> Plus the sheep syndrome.... ;-)

If something is crap, even the sheep wont follow.
Chrome is a lot better than Safari, used here across the Apple product range.
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - sherlock47
It does not seem to have been documented in this thread so far, (apologies if I have missed it), the most impressive feature of IOS7 is the ability to waterproof the phone. It has received good press coverage, but does not seem to have been picked up here.

imgur.com/a/shP5d
>> It does not seem to have been documented in this thread so far

...but it has on t'other forum:
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=6&t=15173
I am pretty pragmatic about OS's.

I have currently 6 in use.

Windows 7, The best MS has ever produced, and the one I know best, but fell apart messily on me once. Like all Windows, needs to be rebuilt every two years to regain its speed.

Windows 8, quite simply - Stable, fast but quite simply hateful, has no place on a laptop or PC.

Mac OS 10.7, very stable, very user friendly - Does not appear to clag up. (yet)

IoS 6, Its good, ideal for phone, its very very stable, very nice to use, never claggs up but very restricted (whihc is what keeps it nimble and stable)

Android 4.2 Jellybean. Stupid bleedin names, a clear IoS knockoff without the polish, and my lad tells me it can clagg up after a while. Clearly there are far too many updates and versions from far too many vendors and its on its way to fragmenting as a unified OS.

A recent linux distro. Two in fact, Ubuntu and a knoppix (two in fact - one cd and one usb stick) that use as my pc toolbox. And thats all its good for really, nerds.

So thats a long way of saying that IoS beats Android hands down in usability, stability, and every other ility you care to mention when it comes to phones, but I think they have lost me as a user come next upgrade because I don't like their pricing, the hardware has not moved on being a wee bit too small, I don't like the look of IoS 7 and they changed the dock port.
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - diddy1234
Zero, as a thread drift

Try Linux Mint as this distro is getting very popular now and even nudging Ubuntu.
I suspect the reason why is that all video / audio codecs and main programs are installed by default and the operating system seems to just work.

Regarding windows, even after supporting customers for 20 odd years (in various jobs) people still expect office to be part of windows.
It's not, it is a separate product.
If people brought a boxed copy of windows 8 they would soon feel short changed by the lack of supporting software there.
Then there is the completely stupid way that software updates are managed in windows.

I haven't used Mac OS in great detail but I have heard that software updates are handled more like the way Linux handles software updates (you choose when to install and very rarely need to reboot and then configure updates on next boot up).

Ironic as it may sound, I have a Microsoft Certified Professional qualification in windows, yet the more I learn about windows operating system the less I like it.
So I should be preaching the joys of Microsoft, but I wont.
why does an operating system need at least 16GB of disk space just to run Windows 8 ?

Regarding the iOS7, the security swipe has already been hacked and the telly tubby icons are a throw back to Windows XP days.
Great shame really as Apple should have launched the Iphone 5c at £99 to £199 and cornered the cheaper market in one swoop.

But this is Apple were talking about here who appear to have lost focus after Steve Jobs demise.
>
>> I haven't used Mac OS in great detail but I have heard that software updates
>> are handled more like the way Linux handles software updates (you choose when to install
>> and very rarely need to reboot and then configure updates on next boot up).

You can set up windows updates to behave exactly the same way as Linux or Mac OS, but the beauty with Mac is there is not that many off them. They do however expect you to update to .x far more often than windows,

For example this mac is barely two years old, and its now 1.x releases behind - shortly to go to two .x behind (that they want you to pay for) And all they do is twiddle the UI a bit and add a feature maybe.
Fortunately Macos has a very good pricing structure in place.
Buy one copy of the new OS and this can be installed on up to 5 mac machines at home (not many mac users know this).
Windows try's to do something similar with a family pack but the pricing is silly.

Regarding windows updates, I think you mis-understood me.
The point I am making is that the whole update management in windows is wrong and non productive.
Why would windows need to apply x of x updates whilst shutting down, then need to configure x of x updates on the next start up ?

This is a silly way of applying updates.
Linux only needs to be rebooted if a kernel, or xorg (graphical update) is applied.
even then logging off and then back in applies the latest xorg update.

Since MacOS is based on Unix, I suspect most of the same rules apply there too.
>> Regarding windows updates, I think you mis-understood me.
>> The point I am making is that the whole update management in windows is wrong
>> and non productive.
>> Why would windows need to apply x of x updates whilst shutting down, then need
>> to configure x of x updates on the next start up ?

I didnt misunderstand you, and there are times you need to reboot with Mac os fixes. The point is as I explained, there are far more fixes for windows, and hence far more times it needs to be rebooted. There are less for mac because they save them up for the next .x update and sell it to you with the guise of "improvements"

Last edited by: Zero on Thu 26 Sep 13 at 09:51
yes I see your point.
so with a mac you end up paying more often ?
>> yes I see your point.
>> so with a mac you end up paying more often ?

it fits in with their "pay through the nose" philosophy.
 IOS 7.0.2 has been released - VxFan

Apple have issued an update (IOS 7.0.2) to 'fix' the recent security issues with IOS7

www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/09/26/apple-fixes-two-ios-7-bugs-that-allowed-access-to-locked-iphones/

support.apple.com/kb/HT5957

No mention whether airplane mode can still be disabled via the control centre while the phone is locked and thus turning off the "find my phone" feature if the phone is lost/stolen.

I haven't yet downloaded IOS 7.0.2 to see if it has or not.
 IOS 7.0.2 has been released - Focusless
With Control Centre accessible from the lock screen (which can be disabled as you pointed out IIRC), it is still possible to use it to enable/disable airplane mode.
 IOS 7.0.2 has been released - VxFan
>> it is still possible to use it to enable/disable airplane mode.

So they haven't resolved all the security issues then.

In which case when I get around to downloading 7.0.2, I'll be leaving control centre switched off.
Just started downloading iOS 7.0.2...

EDIT: posted before I saw Vx's post
Last edited by: Focusless on Fri 27 Sep 13 at 13:28
May have been reported elsewhere - I found my own flaw - if you get a missed call - you can swipe straight from the locked screen to the key-pad.
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - BobbyG
Any users on here experiencing nausea with ios7?
abcnews.go.com/Technology/apple-ios-literally-making-users-sick/story?id=20385379
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - CGNorwich
What a load of complaining wimps we have become as a society. Is the background on our phone is now a major issue in our lives? Looking at a phone makes you sick. Really? I suppose we should all take a week off sick and sue Apple for some compo.
>> May have been reported elsewhere - I found my own flaw - if you get
>> a missed call - you can swipe straight from the locked screen to the key-pad.

With the previous IOS (6 whatever) you could call back the person who called from the locked screen by swiping across the screen, much to a friends annoyance when he left his phone in the front room (on silent) to go for a widdle and his wife called back the person from a missed call only to find it was his bit on the side.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 27 Sep 13 at 17:48
>> With the previous IOS (6 whatever) you could call back the person who called from
>> the locked screen by swiping across the screen, much to a friends annoyance when he
>> left his phone in the front room (on silent) to go for a widdle and
>> his wife called back the person from a missed call only to find it was
>> his bit on the side.
>>

That will teach him to keep it about his person at all times.
Just updated the update. IOS7.0.2 - I think.

As a new (some six weeks), Iphone user, I don't like the IOS7 update, the colours on the home page look as though they have been done by a six year old, the font is too thin and in a bad light (or the wrong glasses) are quite hard to see.

The thing I dont like about iDevices is that Apple are always right. They know best.

Why shouldn't I be able to revert to the font and colours that were used in IOS6, if I want to?
All true, and I've not updated mine. Luckily there's enough information all over the Internet that nobody would update without realising they can't go back... :)

Not updated mine either. I cant count the number of times I have told people not to jump on update bandwagons till you have ensured its a good one.
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - Manatee
Me neither.

My aunt has an iPad I sorted her out with a couple of years ago, that she uses all the time to keep in touch with her distributed children and grandchildren, share pictures and so on.

She and uncle went for a pub lunch on Thursday and she got into a conversation with the friendly barmaid as usual. She handed the barmaid the iPad to show her a picture. Next thing the barmaid "helpfully" triggered the update and handed it back to her!
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - Boxsterboy
>> She handed the barmaid the iPad to show
>> her a picture. Next thing the barmaid "helpfully" triggered the update and handed it back
>> to her!
>>

Who told the barmaid your aunt's Apple ID?
>> >> She handed the barmaid the iPad to show
>> >> her a picture. Next thing the barmaid "helpfully" triggered the update and handed it
>> back
>> >> to her!
>> >>
>>
>> Who told the barmaid your aunt's Apple ID?

The password you mean. I don't know - maybe she asked for it. I wondered that.

Funnily enough, I was guiding her through something a couple of days later that required her password and she entered it and it didn't work. Need to resolve that for her.
>> Who told the barmaid your aunt's Apple ID password?

As the barmaid was being shown a photo, the iPad would have already been unlocked. An iPhone or iPad doesn't always prompt for a password when updating or buying from the App store. All the barmaid might have had to do was agree to the T's & C's before downloading the latest IOS version.
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - Haywain
We've gone from people living in cardboard boxes to Android phones and back to Apple products in general- but has anyone installed IOS7 on an i-pad and is thinking 'I'm really glad I did this?'
This looks like a bug - start a timer and lock the screen, and on the unlock screen, underneath the time, it displays a little timer icon. But it also displays '00:00' - presumably that should be the remaining timer time?
Prior to the IOS7.0.2 update if I had set the countdown timer (when it was IOS7) then it would display time left in a locked screen. Now it's not there at all.

>> Now it's not there at all.

You don't get the '00:00'?
Nope, nothing other than the time and date.

Just checked that I have the countdown timer running in the background - yep.

Another bug I've just seen is the phone icon at the bottom of the screen has the number 1 in the top RH corner of the icon, indicating a missed call. I've had one phone call today but it wasn't a missed call.

Seems Apple are going the same way as Nokia. That being rolling out new firmware/software and then letting the customers discover the cock ups for them.

EDIT - are you aware that Apple have given you a spirit and surface level? It shares the same App as the compass. Open compass and flick the screen toward the right.
Also to remove a web page from Safari, you don't have to try and touch the X in the top RH corner, you can just swipe the web page leftwards to remove it.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 1 Oct 13 at 11:01
IOS7.0.3 now available
Thanks Duncan.
>> Thanks Duncan.

+1. Just updated mine.

support.apple.com/kb/DL1691

"Fixes a bug that could allow someone to bypass the Lock screen passcode"

I thought the last update resolved that one?

I guess this update coincides with the launch of the latest iPad, the iPad Air & the new iPad Mini.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24629711
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 23 Oct 13 at 10:20
Blimey, all that agro in less than a month, still on 6 here and lovin it.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 23 Oct 13 at 10:56
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - Runfer D'Hills
A nice Irish girl updated my ipad for me when I was in Dublin a couple of weeks ago. I could hardly refuse her offer of help. She looked like one of the Corrs.

Anyway it seems to work.
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - Haywain
"She looked like one of the Corrs."

The bloke?
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - borasport
How long has there been an option to prevent you changing the ringer volume by means of the buttons?
I was sat at my desk yesterday wondering why my phone hadn't rung since upgrading to 703 the previous day

I realised the ringer volume was off and pressing the + button wasn't making any difference, then found a setting for button control which was 'off'. I can see the sense of that but can't work out how it got disabled at the same time as the volume was zeroed
Missus has an iphone 4, still on ios 6.1.3

Her Facebook had a recent software update and as a result, it is no longer working. Press the icon, it starts to open and then closes again.

Have tried deleting and reinstalling which makes no difference, also switching phone on/off makes no difference.

Obviously still has IOS 7 outstanding as an update, but having read this I wasn't too keen. However, looking at the update itself, it says that the update is 1.1GB but needs 3.7GB to process the update? Hers is an 8GB so even deleting all her apps, she would not have enough space unless she deletes her 2.0GB of music which is a no-goer as she listens to it every day.

Anyone else experiencing this Facebook issue?

>> Obviously still has IOS 7 outstanding as an update, but having read this I wasn't
>> too keen. However, looking at the update itself, it says that the update is 1.1GB
>> but needs 3.7GB to process the update? Hers is an 8GB so even deleting all
>> her apps, she would not have enough space unless she deletes her 2.0GB of music
>> which is a no-goer as she listens to it every day.

The 2 gb of music didn't appear there by magic. She can put back on just as easily as taking it off.
but why does the 1.1GB update need 3.7GB space?
Will there be space for the music to go back on?

You have FB on your iphone 4? Did it change recently?
Someone of FB mentioned that the latest version was crashing on her 5s. Works on my 5 along with IOS7
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - rtj70
>> but why does the 1.1GB update need 3.7GB space?

Well the 1.1GB will uncompress to something larger. And then it needs install cleanly before replacing the existing install with some safeguards - otherwise it would be all too easy to brick a phone during an update.

After the install it may well have less space available. But buying an 8GB phone without the option to use external memory cards is not something I'd do as music etc. needs to go somewhere (no I'm not streaming all my audio files thank you).

I'd have thought any update to the FB app would work on iOS6 - not everyone can or will update straightaway. Might be a fix on it's way for FB.

EDIT: www.theepochtimes.com/n3/351487-iphone-facebook-app-problems-twitter-users-reporting-crashes/

discussions.apple.com/thread/5539587?tstart=0
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 8 Nov 13 at 20:29
>> but why does the 1.1GB update need 3.7GB space?
>> Will there be space for the music to go back on?
>>
>> You have FB on your iphone 4? Did it change recently?

No - but Nicole has problems with the FB app on her IOS7 So do her pals.

Last edited by: Zero on Fri 8 Nov 13 at 20:31
Since this thread has reappeared thought I would update re the Iphone 4 update issue with memory.
My question above was the message the phone was giving when we tried to do the update over Wi-Fi. However when I plugged it into the laptop and did it through iTunes, it went through fine. Not sure, as Zero suggested, this takes the music off and puts it back on after the update as part of the process, or whether just by linking to iTunes means that it can overcome the memory issue somehow.

Anyway all went through , still on her iphone 4 but contract will be up in May - somehow I can see an iphone 5 being on the horizon.............
>> Her Facebook had a recent software update and as a result, it is no longer
>> working. Press the icon, it starts to open and then closes again.

Mine has just updated from 6.7 to 6.7.1, with "what's new" given as "bug fixes".
Just updated to iOS 7.1

First thing I noticed was the increased battery drain. Traced to location services continually being active. Found the rogue App that was causing it (Find Friends). Disabled for now until I can be bothered to sort it out.

Apart from that, not too many extra features given to us old iPhone4 users.
Still on 6.1 here
Me too. The only feature that 7 has that might have been marginally useful to me was the "Siri, read me my email" game, perhaps, in the car.

But I thought putting up with the primary school colours and so on weren't worth the very limited times I might use that.

I'll change when forced to because something I use a lot no longer works.

I did mine 3 or 4 weeks ago. I thought it would be better to keep up with interface changes rather than wait for the next thing and be further behind. I mean, I liked MSDOS but it wasn't really practical to hang on to that.

Seemed logical at the time.

If anything, battery life has improved, but I can't swear to it.

But I preferred the old graphics, not just on aesthetic grounds. The unlock code entry screen is harder to see in bright light, as do the menu icons and keypad on the phone screens. There's a lot of grey-on-white, fine lines and small fonts.

No obvious gains, some irritations.

Not as annoying as I find her Android phone though.
>> I did mine 3 or 4 weeks ago.

The latest iOS has only been out for about a week, unless you meant the previous one?
I updated to 7.x from IoS6 a few weeks back. That's what I was referring to There was a further update a few days ago that made no noticeable difference to me. Was that 7.0.x to 7.1?
Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 17 Mar 14 at 13:05
>> Was that 7.0.x to 7.1?

Yes.

There are a few changes, allegedly speeding up the i4 after the 7.0 update slowed it down.

www.pocket-lint.com/news/127119-ios-7-vs-ios-7-1-what-s-new
arstechnica.com/apple/2014/03/ios-7-1-on-the-iphone-4-as-good-as-its-going-to-get/
tinyurl.com/ne5658v
>> >> Was that 7.0.x to 7.1?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> There are a few changes, allegedly speeding up the i4 after the 7.0 update slowed
>> it down.

Mine is a 4S.

I did wonder what the point of the 'parallax' and translucency effects was other than to add to the processing requirement, on a portable device reliant on a small battery. Form over function.
>> Form over function.

...which is what some people prefer eg. Alfa drivers :)
Last edited by: Focusless on Mon 17 Mar 14 at 15:33
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - Fenlander
OK so you put a smiley in but that is a strange opinion. Alfas are all about the function of driving... it's what they've been about all of my life.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 17 Mar 14 at 15:47
>> OK so you put a smiley in but that is a strange opinion. Alfas are
>> all about the function of driving... it's what they've always been about.

Well that's why Mrs F wants one (a Brera in particular), just because of the way it looks. But yes, I know they are supposed to be different to anything else to drive.
Last edited by: Focusless on Mon 17 Mar 14 at 15:48
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - Fenlander
Ahh understand now.... but you have ordered that A3... surely??

Funnily enough as each month passes I chat more and more to Mrs F about getting the estate car I need. We've looked at some Alfas casually on Autotrader but last night I floated the idea of something like a bargain V70 or A6 estate and she said it would be a shame to go back to an ordinary car! That's from the driving perspective not looks.
>> Ahh understand now.... but you have ordered that A3... surely??

Thread updated...

>> We've looked at some Alfas casually on Autotrader

I did a search for Breras, but by the time you'd added on servicing and insurance to the cost of the loan, plus the less quantifiable cost of keeping it in working order, it didn't really work out. Shame though.
>>something like a bargain V70

Wot I had. 9 yrs old, 100k miles (150 ish by the time I finished with it) with all the toys and I think I paid £800 for it.

I really enjoyed the car. It is what it is, which is not a sports car, but it was lovely on the longer drives and one just gets used to taking it a bit easier on country lanes.

I had a petrol automatic with a 2.4 engine. At the time they were easily available because people were worried about that particular gearbox. (54 or something) but a seemingly little known fact is that there is cheap, easy to replace sensor which is in reality frequently the issue.

The sensor is £15 and about 5 seconds to temporarily change. So if you fancy one but its got a dodgy gearbox, I recommend doing as I did which is turning up with a new sensor in your pocket, switching it on your test drive to see if the gearbox issue goes away, and potentially getting yourself one hell of a bargain - it worked out well for me.

I originally bought the car for no better reason that I'd always fancied a Volvo, but I ended up really liking the thing.
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - Mapmaker
I had a £650 A6 that was 11 years old when I got it (actually the 100 that was later rebadged as an A6) 2.3 auto. What a dream to drive. (What a thirsty beast too. I don't miss the 80 litre fuel tank...)
>> Not as annoying as I find her Android phone though.

New company, new phone - from iPhone 5 to Samsung S4. I'd already got a noddy Android for personal use, so it wasn't too steep a learning curve, and it's the physical aspects I'm still getting used to.

Eg. no physical speaker on/off switch, power button opposite the volume control so awkward to press one without the other, and a much inferior speaker. And although the bigger size is good for watching videos, it's less good for reading books on the platform one handed.

No doubt I'll get used to it...
Funny really, on occasion I borrow herself's iPhone if I've left my Android out of reach.

I find it difficult to read books on, especially fiddling changing pages, keep switching speaker off by mistake, forever end up searching for the "Back" button, which of course it doesn't have, and finding locking the screen a pain.

What you get used to, I guess.
 IOS7 - will you won't you? - Mapmaker
>> Still on 6.1 here
>>

Thinking of upgrading to get the new Daily Telegraph app.

(But I think this is going to mean a complete clean-up of the phone as it doesn't have enough space to download the new OS. Ah well, job for a rainy day...)
 IOS7.1.1 Update Available Now - Duncan
Just installed iOS 7.1.1 on my iPhone and iPad.
 IOS7.1.1 Update Available Now - Crankcase
Tucked away in 7.1.1 is the ability - and I know you'll be excited beyond all measure - to turn on a "switch", which you define, and an "action", you also define. It's pretty limited but you can do a couple of things.

For example, using the camera as a switch to launch an app, you can now peer at it, suddenly sharply turn your head to the left and Siri will pop up with her cheery prompt, just before you plough into the back of a juggernaut.
 IOS7.1.1 Update Available Now - VxFan
Did mine last week, although there wasn't much, if anything at all that benefits an old iPhone4.
 IOS7.1.1 Update Available Now - Mapmaker
On my 4S, wish I'd done it months ago. Feels faster (provided you disable the ridiculous animations).
 IOS7.1.1 digital audio access - WillDeBeest
Did it a few weeks ago on the work 4S. Didn't like some of it - preferred the old way of swapping windows in Safari, for example - but pretty well used to it now. When I swapped my ancient personal 3G for another 4S it came with 7.1 installed and seems perfectly natural that way.

Now, here's a tech question for someone. I read this morning that with 7.1 Apple has unlocked access to digital audio, even on the iPhone, so that with the right adapters (the Camera Connection Kit) it can feed an outboard USB DAC the way many are used to doing from a PC.

This is interesting to me because the headphone amp I'm planning to add to my living room stack has a built-in DAC with a USB input. If I'm reading this right, all I'd need would be the CCK and a cable and I could feed streamed content from the phone into the DAC and thence to the analogue amp and the speakers. That seems better - for me - than the reputedly flaky Jongo A2 or the undeniably expensive Sonos Connect. It's probably too much to hope that it would charge the phone as well, but has anyone tried a combination like this with an iPhone or iPad?

Latest Forum Posts