Non-motoring > Best way to paint blockwork Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 26

Best way to paint blockwork - legacylad
Finally, 12 years after I should have done it, I am motivated enough to paint inside my double garage.
Plan A is a 9" long pile roller for the blocks, a 4" masonry brush for in between and 2 x 10litres of Johnstones white matt emulsion from a local shed.
I see no need to use more expensive masonry paint on internal walls, or am I missing something?
Presumably lots of you have painted your garage walls...any alternative advice please?
 Best way to paint blockwork - PeterS
The only thing that springs to mind for me (as one whose never painted an outside wall...) is wondering whether masonry paint would be more resilient in the event of dampness in the garage?
Last edited by: PeterS on Wed 18 Sep 13 at 19:48
 Best way to paint blockwork - Bromptonaut
My only thought is that blockwork (breeze blocks?) will soak up paint like blotting paper but perhaps your 20litres takes account of that.
 Best way to paint blockwork - Zero
The roller wont go anywhere near painting the blocks. It will look like a bees honeycombe. You need to get in there and work the paint in with a brush.
 Best way to paint blockwork - Fullchat
A PVA sealing coat will reduce the paint absorption.
 Best way to paint blockwork - Lygonos
Masonry paint - 17 quid for 7.5 litres of white Weathershield at Costco.

Won't flake off at the first sniff of modest moistness in the blocks.

Best way to paint blockwork - MD
>> A PVA sealing coat will reduce the paint absorption.
>>
Cobblers. Go back to Coppering. Oooh! Zero mode that was. It felt soooo good. :-)
 Best way to paint blockwork - Zero
>> >> A PVA sealing coat will reduce the paint absorption.
>> >>
>> Cobblers. Go back to Coppering. Oooh! Zero mode that was. It felt soooo good. :-)

Evening jerry
>> >> >> A PVA sealing coat will reduce the paint absorption.
>> >> >>
>> >> Cobblers. Go back to Coppering. Oooh! Zero mode that was. It felt soooo good.
>> :-)
>>
>> Evening Jerry Can.

>> Chuff chuff...orf you go now. Sleep tight. x
 Best way to paint blockwork - Dog
>>You need to get in there and work the paint in with a brush.

Or a paint sprayer like y'all see on QVC/Ideal World [not that I watch the idiots lantern you understand]
 Best way to paint blockwork - CGNorwich
Any particular reason why you have decided to paint the walls after 12 years. To be honest if tis just a garage I wouldn't bother.
 Best way to paint blockwork - legacylad
No reason other than I get bored easily on my days off. Finished all my outdoor painting. Too wet for building a new rockery. Too wet for 10 mile walks with the dog. Cannot watch daytime TV. Cannot read for more than 30 mins unless on holiday. Cannot lie in bed. f I went for daytime beer I would only get hammered by 5pm & spend a small fortune. Then go for a curry.
Just too active I suppose.
Bring on freezing dry weather when I can get out & about again. Or relocate from wet N Yorkshire...
 Best way to paint blockwork - CGNorwich
Sounds a bigger problem than a choice of paint.
 Best way to paint blockwork - Dog
>>Or relocate from wet N Yorkshire...

Y'all could always try wet Cornwall :(
Stopping in damp Devon on the way!!
 Best way to paint blockwork - L'escargot
>> Presumably lots of you have painted your garage walls...any alternative advice please?
>>

Mine has cavity insulation and was plastered (by the builder) before it was emulsioned, which resulted in a good finish. It has skirting boards which give protection at the bottom.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 19 Sep 13 at 08:41
 Best way to paint blockwork - Pat
Only L'es would have a garage with skirting boards!

That's given me something to aspire to when I'm rich.

Pat
 Best way to paint blockwork - DP
Blimey. After coming up 10 years, I've only just got around to sealing and painting the floor in mine!
 Best way to paint blockwork - bathtub tom
My garage's double glazed. I wanted maintenance free windows. Have you tried sourcing UPVC single glazing?
 Best way to paint blockwork - Bromptonaut
>> My garage's double glazed. I wanted maintenance free windows. Have you tried sourcing UPVC single
>> glazing?

We had same issue at last place BT. The OEM wooden window had rotted and then loosed off and shattered in gale. Only replacement available was cheap softwood or UPVC.
 Best way to paint blockwork - sherlock47
>> Blimey. After coming up 10 years, I've only just got around to sealing and painting
>> the floor in mine!
>>

Mine is only half sealed and it is now coming up for 22 i think.
>> Only L'es would have a garage with skirting boards!
>>
>> That's given me something to aspire to when I'm rich.
>>
>> Pat
>>

And a plastered and insulated ceiling, and a double glazed window, and a central heating radiator, and two 8 foot strip lights, and two light switches, and two double sockets, and an electrically operated door, and a water drainage channel outside aforementioned door, and a fire-proof door leading into the utility room, and an inspection pit, and ............

I had to save hard to get it all.
 Best way to paint blockwork - Ted

My workshop/railway room is made of concrete panels bolted together. I painted them many years ago with some left over pale green emulsion. It's survived very well, although some panels have been written on with torque settings etc.

The garage bit is double glazed with glass panels scrounged from mis-measured sources. Next door had two pieces delivered for the new opening patio doors. They were too wide at about 2ft X 7ft but have made two nice windows mounted horizontally in frames made by me in wood. A bonus is that they're ' double toughened '. I had 4 small panels which were decorated and leaded, all the same. When I made new garage doors I made them to suit the glass but, sadly, that very cold spell, a couple of years back saw a couple of them off. Now I've just got the toughened bit in the frames.......shame really !

Ted
 Best way to paint blockwork - devonite
Why are they still called "Garages"? - They are utility rooms! Cars stand outside on things called "Drives"!!!! and the real "posh" ones have elasticated covers over them, which don't even need painting!!
 Best way to paint blockwork - Slidingpillar
I've got a car in mine!

Although if you take the new and silly legal definition, it's a motorbike. Pass your test on or after 19th January this year, you need a full bike licence to drive my Morgan three wheeler.
>> Why are they still called "Garages"?

I keep my car in my garage. In fact the last time my car wasn't kept in a garage was in about 1973.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 19 Sep 13 at 17:13
 Best way to paint blockwork - Roger.
I don't have a garage - I feel deprived and think the government should supply one to me at no cost.
It is a human right, innit?
Latest Forum Posts