Non-motoring > Life imitates art - Father Farage Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 47

Life imitates art - Father Farage - Crankcase
If you ever saw Father Ted you might recall an episode where a small black square of dirt on the window made it appear as if he had a Hitler moustache from the outside.

Nigel Farage appears to have fallen foul of the digital equivalent.

www.independent.co.uk/news/unfortunate-bbc-moustache-for-nigel-farage-8829452.html

Well, it is Friday.
 Life imitates art - Father Farage - Dutchie
They are trying to ridicule him doesn't work in my opinion.Be interesting in the next election how many people vote for UKIP.
 Life imitates art - Father Farage - Dog
>>They are trying to ridicule him doesn't work in my opinion.Be interesting in the next election how many people vote for UKIP.

I'm with this^ gentile man, I listened to all of Nigel Farage's robust speech on Radio 5 Live this morning and I wish him and UKIP well in the elections of 2014/15 but, they certainly had better watch their backs from now on,
because the knives will be out to get them.
 Life imitates art - Father Farage - borasport
I saw the interview on 'Breakfast' this morning, and it really was pee poor - Charlie Stayt, who increasingly seems to do nothing more than shout at people, trying to make a big issue out of vague accusations from unnamed sources - the Beeb really ought to do better than that
 Life imitates art - Father Farage - Alanovich
Good conference so far. For the rest of us.

What a weapons grade front bottom this bloke is:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24175041
 Life imitates art - Father Farage - Armel Coussine
>> What a weapons grade front bottom this bloke is:

What a pathetic storm in a teacup. Farage and the journalist are the ones who look like c words to me.

The geezer just jokily called three women sluts to their faces when they said they didn't clean behind their fridges. I don't either, and I would laugh, as they did, if someone quite rightly called me a slut.

We could make the same sort of fuss by complaining about Alanović's disguised reference to part of the female anatomy. I'm sure many are even more offended than I am. Perhaps we should all shout 'WITHDRAW! WITHDRAW!' until people start sniggering about that too.

Farage is an utter tit.
I tried to add: the party member or supporter being scolded may well be appalling - probably is - but using the word slut in the way he used it was not an example of appalling behaviour.
 Life imitates art - Father Farage - tyro
I have just pulled my copy of Chambers dictionary off my shelf (if I really want to know what a word means, I don't use online dictionaries) and looked up the word "slut".

It is defined as "a dirty, untidy woman: a wench*, a jade**: a bitch, a female dog: a greased rag used as a candle."

The gent from UKIP was obviously using the word in the first sense of that definition.

What interested me is that 20 years ago I was speaking to a gentleman of good breeding. His family had owned a small highland estate for some generations, and he had been a very eminent man in his day. He was also a prominent and lifelong member of the Liberal Party, and after that the LibDems. In conversation with me, he was describing one of women whose husband worked on his estate, and, somewhat to my astonishment, the word he used was "slut". It was obvious from the context that what he meant was that her house was filthy.

* The main meaning of "Wench" apparently is " a damsel, girl, working girl, a maidservant."

**"Jade", apparently means "a sorry horse, a worthless nag: a woman, esp. perverse, ill-natured, or not to be trusted, often in irony." (Why Miss Goody's parents chose such a name for their daughter is beyond me.)

Last edited by: tyro on Fri 20 Sep 13 at 17:47
 Nigel Farage comments on Bloom - Roger.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT1XJ0DvAhQ&feature=youtu.be
 Nigel Farage comments on Bloom - Dog
>>" they certainly had better watch their backs from now on,
because the knives will be out to get them
"

It didn't take them long did it, the state con-trolled media had a field day with it.

I asked my wife how she feels about Bloom calling the women sluts and she replied "there's more things in the world to worry about than that, it's just sticks and stones and in the grand scheme of things it doesn't even register".

Shame though, all the good conveyed through Nigel's speech today has largely been ignored by the media.
 Nigel Farage comments on Bloom - Lygonos
Meh.

If UKIP/Farudge had immediately said it was a joke and the word was being used in it's archaic but correct sense there was limited legs for this nonsense.

But by trying to play Billy Big-baws, on the back of his jocular non-denials of singing Hitler Youth songs when he was at school in the 80s to "wind up some very left-wing teachers" (Who on Earth knows the words/tune of Hitler Youth songs?? Yeah, you can guess who), Nigel has been able to show that UKIP is a non-viable bunch of monkeys being led by an Alpha-ape.

Even makes the SNP look like a proper political party.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Fri 20 Sep 13 at 20:13
 Life imitates art - Father Farage - Bromptonaut
>> I tried to add: the party member or supporter being scolded may well be appalling
>> - probably is - but using the word slut in the way he used it
>> was not an example of appalling behaviour.

Exactly what I said to The Lad when we heard this on news as he drove me home from station.

The word slut has several meanings varying with with context, age and regional dialect. While it can be interchangeable with slapper it also refers to women who lack application in domesticity.

No time for Garage, who could have laughed this off, or his party but I suspect this was a loose canon finally hitting the opposite hull and putting himself beyond the pale.
 Life imitates art - Father Farage - Stuu
Judging by a poll on the UKIP forum the majority of Kippers have had enough of him too, getting rid of him got three times more votes than any other option.

Some bemoan the passing of the time when it didnt matter what you said, but in the real world thinking before you speak is simple common sense. He should know better but he doesnt and UKIP will never realise its potential with a deadweight like him. Good riddance.

On a more positive note, my wife is standing for election in a couple of weeks time, should be interesting :-)
 Life imitates art - Father Farage - No FM2R
I do dislike the way the media promotes something until its well known and then does its best to destroy it.

I don't like UKIP, or have any faith in it, but it ought to be allowed to live or die by its own sword, not sneakily attacked by someone else's circulation targets.

Good luck to your wife; I wouldn't vote for her but one cannot help but admire someone who puts their beliefs into real actions.
>> Good luck to your wife; I wouldn't vote for her but one cannot help but

Yup, hope she makes a good showing and feels good about it afterwards.
She is standing for Town Council so hardly the seat of power :-)

I think some people may vote for her, her campaign is mainly about things like making all the play parks in the ward gated as some arent - UKIP councillors have a fair degree of flexibilility on what they campaign on, especially at this level and gated childrens play areas is actually a very sensible issue as only some of the play areas are - the scope of town council powers isnt much really. Her other aim is to be seen and easily contactable in the ward as few people seem to know who the local councillor even is - she isnt interested in politics as a rule and she thinks the disconnect between politics and ordinary people will only improve if it stops being the same old crowd - not only is she the only woman on the ballot but she is also the only one with no political background - to their credit the local party are being extremely supportive and a former Tory councillor is on hand to show her the ropes should she win.

Life imitates art - Father Farage - Lygonos
Some serious comment from the front page of b3ta.com:

www.b3tards.com/u/33c8c804092e39b83959/uslut.gif
UKIP Nigel Farage's excellent conference speech yesterday, 42 mins. but well worth listening to IMO:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9FDdbClIxQ
 Life imitates art - Father Farage - -
Enjoyed that D, many thanks.

I especially liked the cardboard cut out referral, as usual Farage delivers serious message with humour, well worth listening to, unlike the cloned professional politician droning on and on whilst saying nothing of the three cheeks party.

Some genuinly funny posts above, almost working class abusive which seems at odds in this mostly middle class place, but then i've never understood them.

Apparently UKIP don't have a snowballs chance in hell of getting anywhere so why is the established status quo so worried, indeed Farage must be doing something very right, he and anyone who agrees with him is ridiculed in an ironically counter productive way.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sat 21 Sep 13 at 22:16
>>Apparently UKIP don't have a snowballs chance in hell of getting anywhere so why is the established status quo so worried <<

Yes I often wonder that. The Tories are fielding a candidate against my wife who doesnt even live in the ward, the Labour guy is campaigning on national issues with only one of the four points on his flyer actually relates directly to our town. The BNP is standing too which is interesting but not especially worrying and the Lib Dems are having a punt although they get nowhere here so the only hope is they split the smallish left-wing vote.
It will be an interesting contest.

The local party AGM is coming up soon GB, if you want to come along you are more than welcome, it is being held very close to you, within walking distance of a pub naturally :-)
>> The local party AGM is coming up soon GB, if you want to come along
>> you are more than welcome, it is being held very close to you, within walking
>> distance of a pub naturally :-)

At the 'honey makers levitation system' up the hill from us?

If i'm off shift when it's on then it might be very interesting to attend, thankyou.

Oh and nearly forgot, best of luck to SWMBO.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sat 21 Sep 13 at 22:44
Local community centre, nr the Harlequin. 14th Oct early evening. Non-members can come along by invitation ( if you want to come id just drop the chairman an email as while it is essentially for members they operate a 'bring a friend' policy for people who are curious, they dont miss an opportunity to chat to new people :-)
'' 14th Oct early evening.''

Thanks FoR, but i'm on shift then and nearly always up at 3am for 4am start, so evening things i don't get involved in.

Hope the meeting goes well, they wouldn't want to recruit me anyway..:-)
People keep wondering why the mainstream parties appear scared of UKIP. Surely there's no mystery at all?

The mainstream parties have always projected a sort of political discourse Lite, something suitable for the great unwashed. The great unwashed encouraged by the media have embraced this sort of nursery version of politics and got used to it.

Along comes a single-issue party with political discourse Lite in goddam spades. Working class and other reactionaries of every stripe are instantly seduced by those hints of xenophobia, those subtle aromas of not-quite-racism... at last! Something an honest Englishman can support!

Serves the carphounds right. Makes my blood run cold too.

I wasn't getting at yr missus FoR, or at you or anyone else here except in the most general way. Politics is complicated. I hope Ms FoR does well in the local election.

I've gone off that slut chap though. Hitting hacks, even annoying ones, with thick documents is a bit much. Almost like the mafia whacking people with phone directories to concentrate their minds.
>>I wasn't getting at yr missus FoR, or at you or anyone else here except in the most general way. Politics is complicated. I hope Ms FoR does well in the local election.<<

No offense taken. In a way I regret that seemingly intelligent people here seem to adopt the media caricature of UKIP, it is so far removed from the people I have met.
I get so angry when people get involved in the party and use it as a personal platform for whatever weird/stupid opinions they want to put out there because they are such a minority but they drag all those normal members down with them.

The party has factions like any other but my sense is that the voices of reason, the newer members generally who are not clouded by some daft political idealism of the 'build it and they will come' variety will eventually win out. The older generation are literally dying out but there are plenty of younger members to replace them who understand being anti-pc doesnt mean being obnoxious and rude - they also understand that if UKIP is to be serious about actually winning anything it has to move past its own shadow and represent alternative but serious ideas. I think it is coming, maybe not quite yet but the seeds are there, even though I find it frustrating that there are still a number of self-absorbed activists who dont 'get' the realities of politics.

My wife is part of the solution and in true UKIP style her reaction was that Bloom should eff off back to Yorkshire and clean behind his fridge. She has quite moderate views and comes from an old Labour household but she finds modern politics to be so inaccessible that when a rather enthusiastic arab Kipper gave a great speech about why people like her were the future, she decided right there that she allowed herself to be excluded and things wouldnt move towards people like her unless people like her got involved - so she did.
I said to her a few months ago that the reason politics is so detached from ordinary people is because ordinary people dont stand up and be counted - UKIP encourages these sort of people to become involved in politics, no bad thing IMO, the other parties are very much tribal, closed organisations - the local Labour Party used to run my area with a selection of members of the same family, Mafia style - I cant think of anything more depressing for politics than that.
You are describing the grassroots politics that used to be and ought to be the way in to the real thing, and access to 'power'. Actually the mainstream parties have become so professional that something like UKIP is almost a breath of fresh air... or would be without the obsessive attitude to Europe and, sorry, but that crazy name.
 Life imitates art - Father Farage - Roger.
My personal take on the Bloom episode is that the "sluts" word was a joke shared by all in the room and not really serious in itself.
Of course the media seized upon that one word, out of context and atmosphere, as a stick with which to beat the whole party and deflect the public's attention from the conference itself. That is what has happened and the party, as a whole is furious with him.
What, to me, is more worrying is his intemperate response to that annoying pot-stirrer Michael Crick.
It shows that Bloom's self control is on a short fuse, which make s him quite unsuitable to have a senior position in the party.
Engage brain before action, comes to mind.
If he does not know by now that the only response to such deliberately provocative behaviour is either silence, or a "no comment", it is clear that he is a liability to UKIP.
It is rather odd, though, that the press homed in on "slut" rather than Blooms immature response to Crick which is in itself reprehensible by a much greater degree.
>>UKIP is almost a breath of fresh air... or would be without the obsessive attitude to Europe and, sorry, but that crazy name <<

The obessive attitide has gone as far as I can tell, people know where UKIP stand on it and that is why you will find them talking about many more issues. I didnt join the party until this year because until this year it hadnt been branching out into a broader set of ideas - the EU alone would not have brought me into the party.

The name is a funny one, but to be fair it does describe the party, unlike Labour which should be renamed Unite and the Conservatives who should be the Democrats - we take the Ronseal line on naming :-)

>> Along comes a single-issue party with political discourse Lite in goddam spades. Working class and
>> other reactionaries of every stripe are instantly seduced by those hints of xenophobia, those subtle
>> aromas of not-quite-racism... at last! Something an honest Englishman can support!

Ah that explains why working class underlings have gone over to UKIP then, they talk in short syllables and seduce my inner thicko, so thats why a half wit can understand them.

Presumably if us working class chappies had the other half of a brain too we'd listen more intently to the right on messages from the identikit three cheek party salesmen as they flog their wares.

The mainstream career politicos tend to patronise if not ridicule the lower orders somewhat when they fail to believe their propaganda that black is really white (nothing to do with race before someone has a fit), but you've been promoted to the higher echelons with that superb generalisation.

Your post couldn't have confirmed my ongoing support for UKIP and all it stands for better.
>>The mainstream career politicos tend to patronise if not ridicule the lower orders somewhat when they fail to believe their propaganda that black is really white (nothing to do with race before someone has a fit), but you've been promoted to the higher echelons with that superb generalisation.

Your post couldn't have confirmed my ongoing support for UKIP and all it stands for better.<<

The patronising tone comes from the sense of privilege, most seats in Parliament are safe seats and they need not convince the electorate but just their local party to be installed in Parliament. UKIP has to fight to the death for every vote and it gives activists a sense of purpose missing from many party activists.

I was reading on Consevative Home that their plan to win based on a battle in the marginal seats - intelligent yes, makes sense, but uber cynical towards the voters in the safe seats who essentially dont matter a jot. The effect UKIP is having on Labour in the North can only be positive as their notion of comfort is no longer there.
>> I was reading on Consevative Home that their plan to win based on a battle
>> in the marginal seats - intelligent yes, makes sense, but uber cynical towards the voters
>> in the safe seats who essentially dont matter a jot. The effect UKIP is having
>> on Labour in the North can only be positive as their notion of comfort is
>> no longer there.

Only goes to prove that their only ambiton and reason for election is power and keeping it.

But to do what?

Thats where UKIP have punched through years of voter apathy, they actually stand for something.

>> Your post couldn't have confirmed my ongoing support for UKIP and all it stands for better.

Glad it makes you happy gb! But this isn't the first time I have been misunderstood on this subject, by you I think. Perhaps I shouldn't have used 'the great unwashed' as a shorthand term for the voters, all the voters.

I often complain about the quality of public discourse on a number of things, including politics. But just to remind you, I don't personally view working class people as generically thick or ignorant. I do think the voters - and not just the working class voters - are misled into a naive stance. Politics is complicated, but it's an old, old game, very deceptive.

And alas, we all have an inner thicko of some sort. I've got several.
 Life imitates art - Father Farage - Pat
>> 'the great
>> unwashed' as a shorthand term for the voters, all the voters.<<

>>
But just to remind you, I don't personally view working class people as generically
>> thick or ignorant.>>

Those two terms are so often put together when talking about working class people and is so insulting and derogatory.

Let's face it...most of us on here work at something or other. It's simply the status of the job and the renumeration that differs so we are ALL working class.

By definition are we all happy to be called the great unwashed?

Pat
 Life imitates art - Father Farage - CGNorwich
"Let's face it...most of us on here work at something or other. It's simply the status of the job and the renumeration that differs so we are ALL working class."

That would make us all workers certainly but not necessarily working class which is surely an outlook or state of mind and has little to do with income.
 Life imitates art - Father Farage - Pat
It largely depends where your coming from CG.

From where I sit we're all working class unless we don't work at all.

For those who have delusions of grandeur then it may well be different:)

I console myself that those folk will have farther to fall than I will.

Surely the whole 'class' thing is a form of discrimination and went out with the ark?

Pat
 Life imitates art - Father Farage - CGNorwich
If you are defining anyone who works as being "working class" then of course you are correct but that renders the the term meaningless.

There is surely a set of values, an outlook on life, that could be described as "working class" not least by those who claim to be part of that group.

Life imitates art - Father Farage - Westpig
>> UKIP Nigel Farage's excellent conference speech yesterday, 42 mins. but well worth listening to IMO:

Fair do's, it was.
>> Fair do's, it was.
>>
I couldn't fault anything the man said. He reflects my own views well.

I might well vote UKIP in the European elections, as a warning shot across the bows of the Tories, who I usually vote for.

I wouldn't vote UKIP in a general election and probably not in council elections etc either...because I'd feel I was wasting my vote on a party that cannot win outright and allowing Labour in by the back door. Plus I have concerns about UKIP's depth of policy and it being a bit of a one man band.

Mr Farage knows people like me might have a punt with him at the Euro elections..and he's right, that could become interesting. The other thing is, he's encouraging the silent majority to actually pipe up..and that seems to be encouraging the Tories to become more true to their core beliefs.

Shame Mr Cameron was so rude about him.
Last edited by: Westpig on Mon 23 Sep 13 at 08:40
>>I wouldn't vote UKIP in a general election and probably not in council elections etc either...because I'd feel I was wasting my vote on a party that cannot win outright and allowing Labour in by the back door.<<

Council elections are different as it is quite possible for UKIP to gain control of a council and in quite a few areas they are within range of winning so not technically a wasted vote. I take your point about the GE but my view is that the more success UKIP get, the more talent will have the confidence to join the party and the better policy will get.
Yes, long ago i decided i HAD to vote with my principles and beliefs, even if there were some policies i disagreed with or people i didn't like.

I simply cannot give my vote to liars con men or traitors as in those who do not have the best interests of our country at heart but their own ambitions and personal wealth, if i vote for them i give them my authority to carry on doing their worse, can't do it sorry.

I will not vote for one donkey because i don't like the shade of the other identical donkeys rosette, voting for the hopefully least obnoxious one of the above isn't for me.

The main three parties have no intention of honouring any withdrawl from EU, thats UKIP scuppering propaganda and nothing esle, we've been here before with the Cast Iron Guarantee, we'll no dount do the standard EU scam of voting again and again till we get the right result.

The electorate get the government they deserve, vote for Judas and thats what you get.

You know GB, I was reading the election material for the election my wife is standing in that her opponents put through the door. It was very telling really.

The Tory leaflet was easily 50% boasting about what his mates at Kettering town had done, maybe 25% of issues he was campaigning on were way beyond the scope of a town councillor and another 25% was devoted to saying he would act on a couple of areas that were within his remit, but he didnt specify what he would actually do - to sum it up, he wouldnt do anything in particular but vote for him anyway - he doesnt live in the ward either, he lives in the next county.

The Labour leaflet was less glossy but was mainly concentrated on telling the reader how superior he was and how he had worked in broadcasting and retail management - he sounded about as working class as Harrods, clearly not someone who had ever got their hands dirty, a real 'working class' representitive of the party supposedly of the working classes. He took issue with road gritting but actually, as someone who lives in the area he was complaining about, gritting is one area the council is pretty good on - no suprise that he doesnt live in the town either...

It was all in all very depressing.

I reckon you should get stuck in and stand yourself in Kettering if you have the time, I think you would translate very well on the doorstep. Our local chairman is a very serious bloke when it comes to winning, he is a potential MEP candidate for our region and knows his stuff.

I listened to Nigel's conference speech twice! - once on Radio 5 Live and then again on YouTube.

What I like about Nigel Farage is that he isn't a slimy bar steward (IMO) like Cameron, Miliband, and Clegg.
I could go on (and on and on and on)

But more than that, I like UKIP's policies on withdrawing from the European Union, on immigration, and taking back control of Great Britain from Brussels.

Sure, Bloom's bloomer has taken the shine off this years party conference, and indeed Nigel's excellent speech,
but I don't believe it will put off many people who intended to vote UKIP at the next elections, although obviously it doesn't do a lot to attract new voters to UKIP either.
>> Sure, Bloom's bloomer has taken the shine off this years party conference, and indeed Nigel's
>> excellent speech,

Good job we're all different Dog.

Blooms bloomer only confirms things for me for the reaction its had.

If i want monkey like trained career politicians/performers, with media speciailists sanitising every word before they utter it, telling us the same lies and rubbish they've been spouting for the last 30 years, then i'll be happy with the three cheek party.

We are reaping the results of the work of professional front men on behalf of those who own them.

I kind of like having some eccentric and slightly faulty non politicians at the heart of UKIP, i want genuine people who have the best interests of our country at heart, good God they've had real jobs before going into politics.

Invariably in a cross section of people such as UKIP there will be characters of all sorts and they will all have faults, no they won't get on terribly well with the bought and paid for media with its own agenda, but such is life.

The opinion and exaggerated horror reactions of media luvvies counts for nothing in this house, nor i suspect does it in any of the houses of those similarly minded.
I/We don't believe any more.

If i want fashionable hymn sheet of the day utterances, then i'll watch and read and best of all believe the MSM.

If i want to be told what to do and how to think and how to behave in every aspect of my life then i'll sign up to the three cheeks of the same backside party and believe that there is a fag papers difference between those sanitized pretty boys Cam Cleg and Milly.
You would make a good UKIP politician gb, straight talking without any ulterior motive.

You most likely never went to university, but the school of hard knocks, the university of life, and a sharp brain have given you the requirements of seeing through the BS fed to us to us on a daily basis.

You are an asset to this forum IMHO.
Very kind of you to say so Dog, but the same applies far more in your case, and that isn't said because we agree on some political issues.

Not sure many here would agree with either of our sentiments mind, nor our opinions of politicians.
>> Not sure many here would agree with either of our sentiments mind, nor our opinions of politicians.

... but you are both pretty sound on cars...

:o}
>> You are an asset to this forum IMHO.
>>
Seconded
Latest Forum Posts