Non-motoring > Tree thoughts ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 30

Tree thoughts ? - Runfer D'Hills
Our house was built in 2002. Part of the border at the bottom of our back garden bounds on to another property built at the same time. The original owners of that house planted some trees on threir side. Over the years they have grown substantially and one of them is now pushing against the dividing fence and damaging it. In fairness to our neighbours ( who are new to that property ) they probably don't know this because from their side its trunk and the fence is hidden from their sight behind their large shed.

We don't know these new people and while I want to go and discuss with them what can be done about the tree before it completely pushes the fence over, it strikes me that it's never going to be the best way to introduce ourselves to our new neighbours by including what can't be disguised as anything other than a complaint about their tree and an invitation to remove it before it does any more damage.

What does the panel advise as to the best way to broach the matter with them?

I guess I'm in favour of just going round and mentioning it but my wife is nervous of potentially causing bad blood before we start.
 Tree thoughts ? - Fenlander
I would go round now "selling" the idea it would be a job best done now to get it out of the way before they start to make their garden their own... also that you will pay.

Almost 2yrs ago we did similar with a massive row of conifers just outside out boundary and we're still on good terms with the folks.

If you sweeten the deal with a set of primark onesies for the whole family they'll be friends for life.
Thanks Fenlander ( though I have no idea why you think I'd have any kind of access to Primark stock ! )

It's tough to describe but the tree is now pretty big. Taller than the two storey houses we live in and the only real way to get at it ( without them shifting their substantial shed ) would be to remove the fence panel on our side and take the thing out through our property.

The whole thing hinges on the previous owner planting it too close to the fence when it was a sapling but I guess he didn't think of that.
 Tree thoughts ? - Zero
I like trees, they are nice to have in and around the garden.

Try this. Take a bottle of wine round to the Neighbour, suggest you and he crack it open and over a glass discuss the tree.

My plan would be this. to him you say.

"I'll adopt half the tree, and we can make the trunk part of my and your boundary. Ie fix the fence to either side of the trunk. I'll pay half the cost of a tree surgeon to trim the top and tidy it up"
 Tree thoughts ? - Ambo
Whose fence is it for a start? Your house deeds should show you. Secondly, regardless of your negotiating approach, be very careful you don't infringe any tree preservation orders as penalties can be stringent.
The conifers we dealt with were at least as tall as the houses. Trees of that size are just not suitable for 90% of modern gardens. In fact most native trees are unsuitable for modern gardens.

Very few folks really understand the need to keep on top of trees and most are too tight to pay someone who understands what needs doing.

It would be very unusual to have a TPO on a tree between gardens in modern housing as someone has to apply for a TPO and they are mostly on trees in a wider public view.

TPOs are a nightmare where they do exist and the officers that decide orders often elevate the "rights" of the tree above the enjoyment of light and security of foundations.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sat 21 Sep 13 at 15:02
 Tree thoughts ? - L'escargot
>> Whose fence is it for a start? Your house deeds should show you.

Unfortunately, there's no such thing as deeds for a house of that age. Nowadays you get title plans and title registers. tinyurl.com/apajduw Whilst one of those documents may indicate who owns which boundary (but even that isn't guaranteed) it won't say who owns a fence. And a fence can be on the boundary or on your side of the boundary, so you could have a fence alongside the neighbour's boundary.
Thanks Sir Humphrey !

;-)
 Tree thoughts ? - L'escargot
>> Thanks Sir Humphrey !

I thought Sir Humphrey was your butler!
;-)
 Tree thoughts ? - Dog
I would have introduced myself when they first moved in, asked if everything was okay and if there is anything I can do to help - just let me know.

Once I had got to know how to play them I would then say, oh, btw, about that there tree in the garden.
Last edited by: Dog on Sat 21 Sep 13 at 15:06
If the existance of a TPO concerns you then it is best to go to the local council and ask to do a personal search of the Land Charges Register for that property. This should be free and covers several aspects so will not arouse suspicion.

Ask the tree preservation officer at your peril in case it is enough for him to slap on a 6mth temp order while the tree is considered for a permanent order. They just love trees.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sat 21 Sep 13 at 15:39
 Tree thoughts ? - devonite
Remove the section of fence that the trunk is pushing against,and butt the 2 new fence ends upto the trunk, now you are using the trunk to fill the "gap" and become part of the fence. No need to approach anyone about removing it! - simples! ;-)
Last edited by: devonite on Sat 21 Sep 13 at 16:03
>>>No need to approach anyone about removing it! - simples! ;-)

Depends on the tree type and proximity to the houses. If you get a rare chance of a complicit neighbour agreeing drastic tree surgery or removal it's worthwhile taking it. A tree this large really needs a huge garden... i.e. 1/2acre plus out the back... which of course Runfer may tell us he has.

Tree thoughts ? - Armel Coussine
A tall straight oak blown down by a tempest has been resting at an angle of about 30 degrees from vertical on a smaller, somewhat rotten tree on the other side of the drive, only a foot or so above the overhead power line. It's been there for a couple of years worrying everyone.

Someone told the power company though. They came and looked at it and said immediately that they wanted to take the tree down and would shut off the power for three hours. That was the day before yesterday, and the tree is now lying beside the drive in a large number of surprisingly hefty slices.

That will be good firewood in a couple of years' time. It is being said though that there are at least two other trees threatening the power line, one of them an enormous old birch (they can rot while still growing in damp overgrown conditions). The damn power line ought to be buried really, false economy not to do that in the first place.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 21 Sep 13 at 16:55
 Tree thoughts ? - Zero
>> Remove the section of fence that the trunk is pushing against,and butt the 2 new
>> fence ends upto the trunk, now you are using the trunk to fill the "gap"
>> and become part of the fence. No need to approach anyone about removing it! -
>> simples! ;-)

you stole my idea.
 Tree thoughts ? - MD
Every tree has a Fell-By-Date.
>> Every tree has a Fell-By-Date.

Leaf it out.
 Tree thoughts ? - MD
I bough to your greater knowledge Sir.
Barking
 Tree thoughts ? - corax
>> I guess I'm in favour of just going round and mentioning it but my wife
>> is nervous of potentially causing bad blood before we start.

The other alternative is just leave it so that you don't risk bad blood. And it will only get bigger and the fence will only deteriorate more, so it might as well be discussed before you are forced to go round and discuss.

By the way, are these the same neighbours whose kids grin at you from their trampoline?
 Tree thoughts ? - Haywain
Runfer - what species is the tree, and how far is it from any domestic buildings? It could well be in the best interest of both you and your neighbour to be rid of the tree NOW, before any real damage is caused.

I spent 7 years surveying trees in the proximity of overhead power lines and most householders are utterly clueless about the suitability of trees for domestic gardens. Always avoid getting the local council involved - they tend not to take the pragmatic approach.

BTW, our house was built in 1998 and we have a copy of the 'deeds', or whatever they're called now, and ownership of adjacent fences is indicated on the plan.
Species? Dunno it's kinda green. Tree-ish green really. Grows fast though.

:-)
 Tree thoughts ? - Haywain
OK, you don't know the species ....... can you estimate the distance? These might be important facts to know if you are going to get some understanding from your neighbour. If it's in his garden, and it's close to his house then he might want to get rid of it a.s.a.p. - and pay for it if necessary! I have a dozy neighbour who planted a Eucalyptus next to our fence and right over the top of a sewer pipe!

For example: www.subsidencebureau.com/subsidence_trees.htm
Going to say 20m from his conservatory.
 Tree thoughts ? - corax
>> Always avoid getting
>> the local council involved - they tend not to take the pragmatic approach.

Ha ha, that's certainly true of the council I work for.
>>>Species? Dunno it's kinda green. Tree-ish green really

Photo and we'll tell you.

>>>Grows fast.

How long since it was planted?
About ten years old I'd say. Photo? Blimey, that would require some computer witchcraft. I've only just mastered those "tiny owl" thingies !

:-)
 Tree thoughts ? - smokie
Might be that new neighbour doesn't care for it either, so not a problem... I had to tackle the people that back on to the end of our house about some tall conifers. Hadn't ever spoken to them, they were fine about it and got someone in to lop them back a bit. That was probably 8 - 10 years ago, could do with doing again now, but the couple are now very ancient and possibly poor. With a long ladder I could probably do it myself, it's the getting rif of the waste that would be tricky.
 Tree thoughts ? - henry k
>> >> Always avoid getting the local council involved - they tend not to take the pragmatic approach.
>>
>> Ha ha, that's certainly true of the council I work for.
>>
I would add surveyors to that list.
Lovely old cherry tree was chopped down in my neighbours garden.
It was right next to the old rectangular manhole cover over a surface water drain.
Frightened the old dear cos of " probably damage to the drains." No problem in the last 50 years but just to be safe!!!

I like trees We have a plum tree that in 30 years has grown from a self seeded sapling to a substantial diameter. It is a few inches from the foul water manhole but fortunately the major roots have gone in other directions. I suspect a surveyor would have kittens and want it removed.

We have planted a Victoria plum ( on a dwarf root stock) and after much studying 30 years ago planted a weeping silver birch Youngii
A fantastic tree for a small garden but it does have some surface roots.

We suffered from some stupid neighbour planting Laylandii a foot from our bottom fence.
Fortunately the current neighbour politely asked if we mined if they were topped to a reachable height. We now look after our own side so I have to " prune a width 30+ feet every six months
 Tree thoughts ? - Cliff Pope
Try browsing some of the threads on the gardenlaw forum and you will see how easily such things escalate into major confrontations if not tackled early on a friendly basis.

Legally you can chop off anything that encroaches over the boundary line, as long as you offer the branches back to the neighbour. But I think it is more complicated if slicing half the trunk off endangers the tree, or chopping half the roots causes it to fall on the neighbour's house.
So friendly discussion is the way forward.

Simply removing a portion of a panel has potential problems. It may remove a structural part of the frame. The tree will continue to get bigger. Nailing the flapping bit of fence to the tree is tempting, but will cause the fence to warp and strain as the tree grows.
 Tree thoughts ? - madf
Our new neighbours wanted to prune some of our trees on the boundary. I was perfectly happy if they did the work - which they did - and I helped clear up. Win-win all round.

Since then we have trapped foxes. squirrels and magpies in harmony together...:-)

Latest Forum Posts