Non-motoring > Pet Poisoning sad day :-( Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 31

Pet Poisoning sad day :-( - Dog
Repost from the Cyprus forum.

How very very sad
:(

Hi all,

I know its been mentioned briefly on here but thought I would forward this on from our friends in Paphos that have very sadly lost their 3 beloved dogs.

Please sign the petition as this needs to be stopped !!!

Today I have woken up with mission in mind, please share or copy and post my status with all your friends around the world and let's see if we can get some justice maybe an e petition or if anyone else has any other ideas?
On Monday eve between 9.30-11pm a mindless individual murdered our 3 beautiful dogs Nero 4yr German shepherd, Poppy 2yr beagle x and Zeus 1yr beagle x German shepherd he was one of the puppies from Nero and poppy, this sick individual deliberately threw poison meat into OUR garden, we know it was between these times because we put the dogs indoors, when we let them out at approx 11.45 they went straight into the garden within 30 seconds Nero was convulsing and foaming at the mouth, I got the poison kit but by the time I had the injection ready poppy & Zeus were doing the same, by husband injected them all while I called our vet, he told me to get them to his ASAP, Nero, poppy wer put in the car but tragically Zeus had passed, our vet lives 5 mins from us he was waiting outside for us with his syringes ready, he looked at poppy and injected her she passed moments later Nero was still convulsing, he had several injections but after a further 5 mins our vet said he wasn't going to make it and the time had come for us to say goodbye, we called the police they came straight out spoke to us and the vet, it was not lanate that was used, the vet said there is a new poison being brought in from the north called fola it horrendous stuff he said that even if we had got to him within 3 mins our poor babies couldn't be saved!!!! We had to take our babies home in the car, we laid them in the garden, and covered them over, sitting in the garden trying to comprehend what had happened, we sat there all night, at 4 am we buried them all together cuddling with their toys in our garden it took ll the strength we had and holding each other tight we said goodnight. Nothing like this happens where we live and the police have told us we have been targeted, our dogs did bark but only to protect our property as dogs do, they were in a high gated garden with 2 meter gates we live in kato paphos, our home is so quiet and empty without them we miss them every min of every day and don't know how we are going to recover from this to lose 1 dog is bad enough but to lose all 3 is such a cowardly way is just mind numbing, we are offering a reward for any information leading to the conviction of the person or persons involved I use the term person very loosely whoever did this is not human!!! Someone knows who is involved we have had an annonomous tip off that an ex pat may be involved, although we don't think or want to believe that a Brit could do this act! The police are due back in the next couple of days they called yesterday, please please this cannot happen again to anyone,this must be stopped I am putting a few pics of our beautiful babies on with this post sorry if the last pic upsets anyone, please share this post or copy and paste it with all your friends around the world,
Sleep well babies and have fun playing beyond the rainbow
Love you all miss you so much mummy and daddy xxxxx.

cyprus-mail.com/2013/09/14/wh...ur-three-dogs/

Animal Poisonings In Cyprus - Petition Posted on Cyprus Petitions
  Pet Poisoning sad day :-( - bathtub tom
SWMBO gets a lot of this sort of stuff on her Facebook page, I delete anyone who sends similar to me. I certainly think it's got no place here.

It's usually not verifiable, AS IN THIS CASE!

404 Error Page not found
  Pet Poisoning sad day :-( - Fursty Ferret
>> our dogs did bark but only to protect our property as dogs do

If they're anything like the dogs near me "protecting their property" means barking aggressively at anyone parking their car, opening their garage, in their own gardens, or even opening an upstairs window.

While I think that poisoning animals is deplorable, I can in some sense understand *why* it happened. Interestingly someone posted an anonymous letter (not me!) through the door of my barking dog neighbour. It resulted in a deeply amusing but fairly offensive round-robin letter to all the neighbours, using more or less exactly the phrase above.

This was last year - apparently the footage from CCTV is "with the IT department" to identify the perpetrator but sadly there's been no update since. All we know is that she (or he...) was wearing high heels and a dress...
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Mon 23 Sep 13 at 09:54
  Pet Poisoning sad day :-( - bathtub tom
>>While I think that poisoning animals is deplorable

A neighbour failed to maintain their fence, resulting in a couple of bull terrier type dogs fouling my garden. I'd leave my gate open so they could get out. I told the neighbour I couldn't be responsible for their dogs safety as they could gain access from my garden to other neighbours, one of which I believed was putting down rat poison (a lie).

The next step would have been to leave some Ex-lax for them to eat to reinforce the point.
Point taken bathtub, I've been on the Cyprus forum for 1.5 years and I've followed this story since it aired.

Pet poisoning is quite a common occurrence in Cyprus it seems, and not just in Cyprus either!

If the mods want to delete this thread then so be it.
  Pet Poisoning sad day :-( - madf
I am totally against pet poisoning,
LONG texts as above with no paragraphs - so I did not read it
and dog owners who do not control their dogs or clean up their mess (our garden suffers occasionally and I have scars on my legs from dog bites when running)
  Pet Poisoning sad day :-( - Zero
God thats full of crap. Wonderful dogs, doting owners,heroic vet, poison kit (who the hell has one of them handy?) Nasty expats, terrible drug thats been smuggled in from the evil north, heartbreak, etc etc. Its a Barbara Cartland novel and utter fiction.

I have never seen such a LooB.
  Pet Poisoning sad day :-( - CGNorwich
"Sleep well babies and have fun playing beyond the rainbow
Love you all miss you so much mummy and daddy xxxxx."

Yuk
  Pet Poisoning sad day :-( - Cliff Pope
Probably the kind of people who include their pets' names on their Christmas cards.
Not un-like my wife and I then.

(*_*)
  Pet Poisoning sad day :-( - Clk Sec
Yes, I noticed that on the card we received from you last Xmas...
:)
hehe! - Milo is part of our family he's been with us for 13 years now (the little git!)
I know someone who knows someone who even sent a card to his wife from his dog!

Cockney geezer, lives in Cornwall, last seen driving a red Subaru, I hear.

:}
  Pet Poisoning sad day :-( - Clk Sec
And has a dodgy office chair...
  Pet Poisoning sad day :-( - Armel Coussine
>> has a dodgy office chair...

... and a chequered past... (adopts fluting, sarcastic Met accent and demeanour, walks round car sucking teeth): 'Are these your car, dog and wife sir, I'm wondering?'

:o}
  Pet Poisoning sad day :-( - Roger.
>> "Sleep well babies and have fun playing beyond the rainbow
>> Love you all miss you so much mummy and daddy xxxxx."
>>
>> Yuk
>>
Sick bag & mind-bleach, please!
  Pet Poisoning sad day :-( - Manatee
A link that works

goo.gl/PVuv3h

I don't agree with dog poisoning either.

Some dog owners are incredibly selfish and inconsiderate with regard to barking. How would they feel about a burglar alarm that went off whenever anybody walked past next-door's house?

I confess I don't 'get' dog owning anyway, but each to their own. Live and let live, just consider other people.
>>A link that works

Thanks Mano'tea, I didn't realise it didn't work.
Those dogs look well fed and edible..
  Pet Poisoning sad day :-( - Roger.
>> Those dogs look well fed and edible..
Ready for the po,t as in Vietnam & China?
You stick with orse effendi.
  Pet Poisoning sad day :-( - No FM2R
Dogs are poisoned because;

1) They are barking non-stop or are otherwise incessantly annoying
2) Someone wishes to rob the house
3) *very* occasionally, sickos.

It happens an awful lot in South America as well and the reason is almost always 1).
I posted the OP on a proper forum today, and this is the reply I received if anyone here is interested, although going by the majority of the posts here, I don't suppose that will be many:

I'm virgil btw :)

Hi Virgil - thanks for letting us know about this barbaric act! It's incomprehensible that anyone could cause such suffering to three innocent animals - and their distraught owners!

As I've posted, previously, on this forum, the only way to try to prevent pet dogs from succumbing to deliberate poisoning is through muzzling (not possible 24 hours a day!) or by training.
The latter is very difficult, as dogs naturally wish to eat anything 'edible' which they come across - and puppies could not be expected to learn enough, fast enough, to be protected from such poisoning.

However, as a former owner of German Shepherd dogs, Dobermanns and Border collies( all rescues; aged, on adoption, from two months to 4 years), I trained every one to refuse food, treats and 'found substances/items' unless these were either handed to them by me, personally, or served on their individual dishes. This latter option took account of the fact that, in case of my hospitalisation, holidays etc. my dogs could be fed and watered by other trusted people, including even kennel staff - provided 'their' plates and bowls were used!

I had been advised by my own ex Met.Police (ret.) dog trainer to avoid teaching my dogs to refuse food/drink on command, only. There were known examples of dogs having had to be taken to the windows of hospital wards, to be given the appropriate instruction by hospitalised owners…! in the case of a change of ownership, due to unforeseen circumstances, such training might cause real difficulty for both pets and their new humans!

I appreciate that I was a dedicated 'hobby' dog trainer, albeit with a qualification, and that other owners might not feel confident enough to undertake such intensive training with their own pets. Knowing, as I do, however, that deliberate acts of animal poisoning do occur, in both Spain and Greece, I'd still urge every dog owner to make the effort, regardless - if necessary, to seek professional advice and assistance - in order to protect their beloved pets!

Such training would need to be consistent, kind, patient and thorough, to counter the dogs' natural behaviour - but, as I proved, in the case of my own pets, it was possible to achieve the desired result, ensuring that they would never eat or drink anything found on the ground, inside or outside of our home; nor would they accept proffered treats from anyone other than myself and my immediate family! This was vital to their safety when living with me in the Asturian countryside - I discovered that rat poison was being used to kill predatory mammals, in the local 'huertas' and fincas! Even worse, such poisoned victims could then be scavenged by wild birds - leading, potentially, to more deaths and 'found food' for pet animals!

BTW, in the UK there was, at the time, a spate of burglaries in which the thieves first fed sedatives, embedded in meat, through letterboxes, for the households' dogs to eat. They would then wait, hidden, until the dogs were asleep, before breaking into the homes concerned! Even large breed pets, including Dobermanns, German Shepherds and Labradors were sedated, successfully, by this means'

I hope that this terrible poisoning incident does receive maximum publicity in Cyprus - to the point that the perpetrator is caught, denounced and punished! The poor owners would continue to suffer, nonetheless, but, at least, he/she might be deterred from doing more of the same to other innocent animals.

Regards,
GC

Pet Poisoning sad day :-( - Manatee
Interesting that dogs can be trained that way. Though I doubt if many owners could manage it.

Is it possible to train them not to bark incessantly?
>> Interesting that dogs can be trained that way. Though I doubt if many owners could
>> manage it.
>>
>> Is it possible to train them not to bark incessantly?
>>

That would require intelligence on the part of dog owners. Dog owners have dogs as they want to improve their own intelligence to the canine norm....

>> That would require intelligence on the part of dog owners. Dog owners have dogs as
>> they want to improve their own intelligence to the canine norm....

Your an eejit.
>> Interesting that dogs can be trained that way. Though I doubt if many owners could
>> manage it.
>>
>> Is it possible to train them not to bark incessantly?

Yes it is.
  Pet Poisoning sad day :-( - zippy
One day pets, the next people. Animal poisoners are sick!
Not as sick as the animals though I'll wager :(
  Pet Poisoning sad day :-( - No FM2R
I dunno, if some person was next to my fence baying & barking non-stop at unsociable hours, I'd consider poisoning them.

A far more minor crime than poisoning a dog.
>>A far more minor crime than poisoning a dog.

+1

(*_*)
  Pet Poisoning sad day :-( - zippy
>>>I dunno, if some person was next to my fence baying & barking non-stop at unsociable hours, I'd consider poisoning them.

>>>A far more minor crime than poisoning a dog.

Oh that did make me chuckle!
Latest Forum Posts