Non-motoring > 20p to P. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 39

20p to P. - Roger.
A call of nature necessitated a visit to the public toilets in Mansfield's Four Seasons Shopping Centre, while waiting for a couple of jobs to be done on the Jazz.

I was peed off to find that there is a charge of 20p to gain access to public toilets, council owned, I believe.

There weren't even particularly special at that.

That blooming continental practice of charging is spreading.
I bet they have lots of smelly doorsteps and alleys in the town.
 20p to P. - Clk Sec
Wasn't there a pub nearby?
 20p to P. - Zero
Witherspoons? They pee on the floor in there.
 20p to P. - Runfer D'Hills
The only reason I can ever think of to go into a McDonalds, certainly not for anything they advertise as food.
 20p to P. - Zero
>> The only reason I can ever think of to go into a McDonalds, certainly not
>> for anything they advertise as food.

Clean bogs, Good cappuccino and free wifi, whats not to like.
 20p to P. - Roger.
I love Big Macs! So there!
Well, the lack of cutlery and fat smelly customers wearing hoodies for a start.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Tue 24 Sep 13 at 15:20
 20p to P. - Duncan
>> The only reason I can ever think of to go into a McDonalds, certainly not
>> for anything they advertise as food.
>>

Try their hash browns! Yummy!
Not on your nelly when there's almost always a reasonable hotel not far away where they'll sell you a sandwich and a decent cup of coffee for more or less the same money, give you cutlery, a plate, bring it to your table and let you sit in a comfortable chair. And whats more you don't feel obliged to wear a hooded garment.
 20p to P. - Clk Sec
Not in the one I frequent occasionally. Their loo's are immaculate.
 20p to P. - Zero
>> Not in the one I frequent occasionally. Their loo's are immaculate.

I was talking of the seats.
 20p to P. - sherlock47
>> Witherspoons? They pee on the floor in there.
>>

but only after it has trickled down the leg!
 20p to P. - helicopter
In France a couple of weeks ago the men just seemed to urinate in the nearest hedge , bush or alleyway with scant worry about any lady passing ........SWMBO was also rather perturbed to find that some of the French toilets were shared .....and that she had to run the gauntlet of urinals to reach the cubicles......

Several places in quietish corners of Dieppe where I spotted 'Defence d'uriner ' notices......

20p to P. - Bromptonaut
The French are quite laid back about urination, it's just something people have to do. Lost count of the number of French campsites I've been to with nil or only the most scanty privacy to urinals. Neither are women bothered about using the men's facilities if the queue for the 'Dames' is out of the door.

Not just the men doing it 'en nature' either. Was just leaving admittedly very busy autoroute services in August when a younish woman stood up from slip road undergrowth while pulling up her panties. She'd obviously tired of the wait in the proper place.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 24 Sep 13 at 15:26
 20p to P. - Cockle
>> The French are quite laid back about urination, it's just something people have to do.
>> Lost count of the number of French campsites I've been to with nil or only
>> the most scanty privacy to urinals. Neither are women bothered about using the men's facilities
>> if the queue for the 'Dames' is out of the door.
>>
>> Not just the men doing it 'en nature' either. Was just leaving admittedly very busy
>> autoroute services in August when a younish woman stood up from slip road undergrowth while
>> pulling up her panties. She'd obviously tired of the wait in the proper place.
>>

I once asked a steward at a country show in France where the toilets were, he just waved his arm at the nearby fields and said,' Toilets, Monsieur? But you have the whole of la belle France!' He then shook his head in the Gallic 'crazy Anglais' fashion.....

I found a hedge....
 20p to P. - Cliff Pope
>> In France a couple of weeks ago the men just seemed to urinate in the
>> nearest hedge , bush or alleyway with scant worry about any lady passing ........

It's becoming commoner here too.
A few days ago I noticed someone peeing in a corner between two walls in our retail park.
He wasn't a down and out - reasonably dressed, put his shopping bag down, peed without any fuss or embarasment, then walked into the shop.

It didn't actually look any different from someone stopping to light a fag in a sheltered spot.

My daughter is going on a college expedition to Morocco next year. They have been told that the standard procedure there is just to dig a little hole by the side of the road and squat down.
It's probably very offensive though to talk about house prices.

20p to P. - Zero

>> My daughter is going on a college expedition to Morocco next year. They have been
>> told that the standard procedure there is just to dig a little hole by the
>> side of the road and squat down.
>> It's probably very offensive though to talk about house prices.

Just remember don't pay too much for a house with lots of little holes in its garden.
 20p to P. - BiggerBadderDave
I dated a secretary around 1990 who was into golden showers.

She taught me a lot. And cost me more than 20p.
 20p to P. - Roger.
Giving or receiving?
 20p to P. - PhilW
"charge of 20p"
A lot of main line stations (esp London ones) seem to charge 30p now. but many of those stations also have a MuckDonalds (I used to enjoy their "Daily Deli - what happened to those?) and, of course, the loo is free on the train though hanging on (!) to use the train one, getting on and finding the train does not have loos can be stressful!
Can't open the windows on the fast west coast leaney-overey jobs either. Not that it would be a great idea to wee out the window at that speed I suppose.
 20p to P. - -
National scandal the lack of public conveniences, and i don't mean the ones McDonalds provide so the local authority can take advantage and close theirs down, its hardly McD's obligation to provide for anyone except their customers and staff.

On the other hand all decent sized shops should provide toilets for their customers use.
 20p to P. - Harleyman
Having said that, it's only in perhaps the last 20 years that public toilets have become readily available in supermarkets; I believe Morrisons set the trend when they expanded southwards.

Prior to that, it was only the posh department stores that offered customers the use of loos.

20p to P. - Zero
>> Having said that, it's only in perhaps the last 20 years that public toilets have
>> become readily available in supermarkets; I believe Morrisons set the trend when they expanded southwards.

They didn't expand southwards, they bought Safeways. Large Tesco stores always had loos.
 20p to P. - Harleyman
>> They didn't expand southwards, they bought Safeways. Large Tesco stores always had loos.
>>

Close but no cigar. They also built new stores, like the one in Netherfield, Notts which was my first encounter with them in the mid-1990's; been a fan ever since. The Safeway buyout didn't happen until much later, about 2004 IIRC.

I'll bow to your knowledge of Tesco's though; doesn't surprise me, Tesco have always been good at taking the pee. ;-)
Last edited by: Harleyman on Tue 24 Sep 13 at 20:53
 20p to P. - Zero
>> >> They didn't expand southwards, they bought Safeways. Large Tesco stores always had loos.
>> >>
>>
>> Close but no cigar. They also built new stores, like the one in Netherfield, Notts

Notts? NOTTS? let me have a quite word in your shell-like and explain to you where SOUTH is matey.
 20p to P. - MD
Yes Zeddo. You let 'em know. I'm with you. Oop norf.......................wad do dey no, eh!
 20p to P. - CGNorwich
>> >> >> They didn't expand southwards, they bought Safeways.

Actually they opened their first store in the South East in Erith SE London in 1998 as part of their planned expansion into the South.

The purchase of Safeway was much later - 2004 .
 20p to P. - Zero
One store was not a planned expansion, but a trial. A trial which resulted in the purchase of Safeway. That was their expansion plan.
 20p to P. - Harleyman
>> Notts? NOTTS? let me have a quite word in your shell-like and explain to
>> you where SOUTH is matey.

>> I know where south is.... just keep following the compass till you find increasing numbers of cantankerous old b....'s who can't admit they might be wrong. ;-)

For the benefit of those like yerself who don't (or daren't) venture north of Watford, Nottinghamshire is due south of Yorkshire whence Morrisons originated. I rest me case.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Tue 24 Sep 13 at 22:22
 20p to P. - Zero

>> For the benefit of those like yerself who don't (or daren't) venture north of Watford,
>> Nottinghamshire is due south of Yorkshire whence Morrisons originated.

Its 70 miles as the pie flies from York to Nottingham. Didn't get very far south did it. Its almost bleedin sideways.
I went to Nottingham yesterday funnily enough. Didn't stay. They do seem to have dug a lot of it up.
 20p to P. - Zero
>> I went to Nottingham yesterday funnily enough. Didn't stay. They do seem to have dug
>> a lot of it up.

they'll get it right one day.
 20p to P. - Roger.
I lived in Nottingham from 1957 to 1964. Was quite a decent place in those days, although there were some grim slums.
 20p to P. - Bromptonaut
>> >> Having said that, it's only in perhaps the last 20 years that public toilets
>> have
>> >> become readily available in supermarkets; I believe Morrisons set the trend when they expanded
>> southwards.
>>
>> They didn't expand southwards, they bought Safeways.

They began to expand South in early nineties as Morrisons and got as far as S Midlands (Northampton former Cattle Market, Grantham and a couple of London sites). Absorbing Safeway (eg Newcastle u Lyme, Northampton Kettering Road, and Camden Town near the Roundhouse ) came a few yrs later and gave a serious bout of corporate indigestion.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 24 Sep 13 at 22:49
 20p to P. - WillDeBeest
A call of nature necessitated a visit to the public toilets in Mansfield's Four Seasons Shopping Centre, while waiting for a couple of jobs to be done on the Jazz.

Would you care to re-phrase that, Roger? Certainly puts the French's hedgerow habits into perspective.
 20p to P. - Roger.
>> A call of nature necessitated a visit to the public toilets in Mansfield's Four Seasons
>> Shopping Centre, while waiting for a couple of jobs to be done on the Jazz.

>>
>> Would you care to re-phrase that, Roger? Certainly puts the French's hedgerow habits into perspective.
>>
>> It's those damn pigeons!
 20p to P. - Cliff Pope
Perhaps this increased need for public loos arises because everybody now walks around permanently drinking from water bottles or carrying coffee containers.
 20p to P. - Dog
Portable toilets are a good idea imho: www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCFuwJPwUTM
 20p to P. - Zero
>> Portable toilets are a good idea

BAD idea

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-43BlC625iY
Latest Forum Posts