Non-motoring > Shopping at Lidl Miscellaneous
Thread Author: - Replies: 42

Shopping at Lidl - -
Lovely little song this, but be warned she lets a couple of swear words out.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKsGKERivTQ

Anyone else like her voice, i do.
 Shopping at Lidl - mikeyb
She sounds a bit like Anita Dobson
 Shopping at Lidl - MD
Well, anyone can fall in love..............................with Lidl's!
 Shopping at Lidl - Lygonos
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=5&t=15073

11 days ago, in another part of the Universe.... ;-)
 Shopping at Lidl - Zero
>> www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=5&t=15073
>>
>> 11 days ago, in another part of the Universe.... ;-)

The singing hasnt improved since then.
 Shopping at Lidl - Armel Coussine
Someone came round the other night and gave me a bottle of Lidl champagne.

I'm not a connoisseur but I know what's acceptable and dislike bad champagne. That Lidl stuff seemed unusually good to me, no kidding. A word to the wise...
 Shopping at Lidl - Runfer D'Hills
Someone on the telly the other night ( might have been on Mock The Week actually ) made a Lidl faux advertising tagline quip.

"Lidl, for when life hasn't worked out quite how you planned"
 Shopping at Lidl - Roger.
Aldi's Cava brut is quite decent.
 Shopping at Lidl - Zero
Lidl prosecco (when they have it) is not bad. Aldi port is disgusting.
 Shopping at Lidl - Zero
I like tag lines like that.

One web site I frequent has the tag line "Wasting time and bandwidth since 2002"

Another one on a girl oriented site "If it has Wheels or Testicles you just know it will be trouble"
 Shopping at Lidl - Haywain
Aldi's gin is very good.
 Shopping at Lidl - madf
>> Aldi's gin is very good.
>>
+1

Their Parmesan cheese is excellent as is their Brasserie french lager .. £3.55 for 8 x238ml (?) bottles 4%..
 Shopping at Lidl - Meldrew
Another vote for Aldi gin! As a man on a budget I do my main shop at Aldi and then go to one of the others for stuff Aldi don't stock or that I don't like from them and that doesn't amount to much to be fair
 Shopping at Lidl - Zero
>> Another vote for Aldi gin! As a man on a budget I do my main
>> shop at Aldi and then go to one of the others for stuff Aldi don't
>> stock or that I don't like from them

And there, in a nutshell is why shopping at Aldi is a waste of time. Too much stuff they don't stock, too much variation in what they do stock.. You always end up going elsewhere, and in the end save no money.
 Shopping at Lidl - Alanovich
Not our experience in the slightest.

A couple of weeks ago, the missus bought home the weekly shop from Aldi - everything we needed for 75 quid. As an exercise I took the receipt and entered everything, like for like, using "essential" brands where available on the Waitrose website. £120. On the Asda website, £98.

Even if we didn't like Aldi ketchup (we do) and went to get some Heinz from Waitrose, we'd still be saving considerable money.

I think your perception, Z, is a bit out of date. A couple of years ago Aldi's range was restricted the way you describe. They've caught up now though. Very rare that we have to go elsewhere for some bits and pieces. Same goes for Lidl - the weekly shop gets done there when I do it, just because I prefer Lidl and the wife prefers Aldi.
 Shopping at Lidl - Zero
>> I think your perception, Z, is a bit out of date.

My EXPERIENCE is TWO WEEKS out of date.

No ripe avocados, no fresh herbs, no mcain oven chips (aldi oven chips are shockingly awful) no cross and blackwell beans, etc etc etc.

You get very restricted choice, and the stuff sourced in the UK is usually of inferior quality

Edit, and would you believe? no minced lamb.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 25 Sep 13 at 10:35
"Oven" chips ? Dear God...
 Shopping at Lidl - Zero
Sorry I know anything other than deep fried is an anathema to a jock.......
Some things are just wrong.
 Shopping at Lidl - Zero
Try them
 Shopping at Lidl - Manatee
>> "Oven" chips ? Dear God...

Oven chips or no chips for some of us!

Ockerdoo accidentally delivered some frozen waffles a few weeks ago. I told them, but for some reason they didn't want to send the van back to collect them.

Forgot about them and found them in a corner of the freezer yesterday. I've great hopes for those.
 Shopping at Lidl - helicopter
Horses for courses really,depends what you buy or consider essentials - I do not eat oven chips... if we want chips for dinner we can get the full saturated fat experience at the local chippy.... one of the best around ( it is run by a Sicilian family and called the Codfather :0) )

SWMBO always does the main shop at Sainsburys ......

..... but both of us like Lidl for various items mainly treats rather than essentials ..... and SWMBO has a branch just over the road from her office so no sweat to shop there....

We have found in the past that Lidl is no good for the full weekly shop although can be astoundingly cheap on some items.... Strawberry jam and their Marmalade are much cheaper and just as good as any other we have tried and their Tomato Ketchup won a recent blind tasting against all the market leaders and was one of (if not the ) cheapest....

Shopping at Lidl - Bromptonaut
>> >> I think your perception, Z, is a bit out of date.
>>
>> My EXPERIENCE is TWO WEEKS out of date.
>>
>>
>> No ripe avocados, no fresh herbs, no mcain oven chips (aldi oven chips are shockingly
>> awful) no cross and blackwell beans, etc etc etc.
>>
>> You get very restricted choice, and the stuff sourced in the UK is usually of
>> inferior quality

Obviously, if you're looking for branded stuff you are unlikely to find it in Aldi. Their own brand beans are excellent and I've no complaint about their thick cut chips. Finding a ripe avocado is hit and miss in Tesco or Sainsbury too.

Are there examples of inferior quality UK sourced stuff? Carrots, Cauli etc have always been excellent though they don't trim caulis like other supermarkets do. Cheddar and Wensleydale cheeses are at least as good as anywhere else. Aldi peanut butter is awful stuff but that's because it apes Sun Pat and is sweetened. Much prefer the wholenut version that's just peanuts, oil and salt.

Bacon has the branding cop-out of being 'produced in UK from EU sourced pork'. Almost certainly means its form Holland or Denmark where they're not as kind to the piggies as we are in UK. Again that's not unique to Aldi.

Like A we find we can get pretty well all the usual stuff in Aldi. Using pre printed list with everything we might buy in the order it occurs in store (tea and cereal first alcoholic drink last) makes the task easy.

Shopping in either Daventry or Towcester it's a short deviation, on foot in Dav, to Waitrose for non aldi stuff like the pnb, leaf tea and Patak's chutney/cook in sauce that's needed in any particular week.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 25 Sep 13 at 10:51
 Shopping at Lidl - tyro
" Aldi peanut butter is awful stuff but that's because it apes Sun Pat and is sweetened."

Oddly enough, the only thing that I regularly buy in Aldi is peanut butter. They have two kinds - the ordinary stuff and the "specially selected" stuff. The latter (which is more expensive) is what I buy. It's not as good as the Aldi peanut butter of a few years back, and it may not be the best stuff on the market, but it's quite acceptable.

It does, however, have sugar in it. (7.1 grams sugars per 100 grams. FWIW Sodium is 0.6 grams, salt equivalent is 1.5 grams.) I guess I may have to do some taste testing to see what the best peanut butter is.

Apologies to GB for thread drift - talking about an Aldi product on a Lidl thread. And I didn't even bother watching the song on Youtube!
>> >> I think your perception, Z, is a bit out of date.
>>
>> My EXPERIENCE is TWO WEEKS out of date.

>> No ripe avocados, no fresh herbs, no mcain oven chips (aldi oven chips are shockingly awful) no cross and blackwell beans, etc etc etc.

OK, well, ripe avocados and fresh herbs aren't part of our standard weekly shop, which feeds a family including small children. Neither are oven chips, but I've never noticed a lack of those in Aldi and Lidl. Their beans are more than good enough for us.

We have different requirements to pensioners with all the time in the world to make exotic herby avocado dishes, we've got an hour and a half every evening to get homework done, cook and eat every weekday (without resorting to oven chips).

It works for us very well, and your blanket statement earlier that it's not worth shopping there and you won't save money is plain WRONG for many people. For YOU, maybe it's right.

>> the stuff sourced in the UK is usually of inferior quality

That's rubbish. Meat, fruit and veg are fine. And that is the basics of what we eat. We're scoffing loads of Somerset strawberries from Aldi still. Cheap and good quality.
Last edited by: Alanović on Wed 25 Sep 13 at 10:53
 Shopping at Lidl - Zero
>> >> >> I think your perception, Z, is a bit out of date.
>> >>
>> >> My EXPERIENCE is TWO WEEKS out of date.
>>
>> >> No ripe avocados, no fresh herbs, no mcain oven chips (aldi oven chips are
>> shockingly awful) no cross and blackwell beans, etc etc etc.
>>
>> OK, well, ripe avocados and fresh herbs aren't part of our standard weekly shop, which
>> feeds a family including small children. Neither are oven chips, but I've never noticed a
>> lack of those in Aldi and Lidl. Their beans are more than good enough for
>> us.
>>
>> We have different requirements to pensioners with all the time in the world to make
>> exotic herby avocado dishes, we've got an hour and a half every evening to get
>> homework done, cook and eat every weekday (without resorting to oven chips).
>>
>> It works for us very well, and your blanket statement earlier that it's not worth
>> shopping there and you won't save money is plain WRONG for many people. For YOU,
>> maybe it's right.
>>
>> >> the stuff sourced in the UK is usually of inferior quality
>>
>> That's rubbish.

Blanket statement. Seems you are allowed to make one and I am not.

Clearly you don't appreciate the better things in life, like us pensioners. Ye gods you would think you were the only one who ever had to work for a living the way you carry on.
OK, if you insist on having an argument.

You said: "And there, in a nutshell is why shopping at Aldi is a waste of time. Too much stuff they don't stock, too much variation in what they do stock.. You always end up going elsewhere, and in the end save no money”.

I said: "I think your perception, Z, is a bit out of date".

Whose is the blanket statement, whose is worded as discussion?
 Shopping at Lidl - Zero
Argument? Just giving you a few current pertinent facts because you assumed I never went in there.

And of course from you straight away we get this chip on the shoulder attitude, in this case " the you never had it so good while we suffer" crap

So no no argument- not interested, carry on as you were.
Seeing as you are making far too much of my comments and reading far too much in to them, I'm quite happy to carry on. Hey ho.
 Shopping at Lidl - tyro
"everything we needed for 75 quid. As an exercise I took the receipt and entered everything, like for like, using "essential" brands where available on the Waitrose website. £120. On the Asda website, £98."

Interesting exercise. But of course it's a matter of horses for courses, and one man's meat. There is cost, there is quality, there is taste, & there is convenience.

And there is even the experience. For various reasons, I just like shopping in Lidl. I find the experience pleasant. I quite like some other shops, and there are some that I dislike.
 Shopping at Lidl - madf
Being a man and organised(!), I plan shopping (SWMBO has been semi crippled for 20 months with dodgy hips and just had her second hip replaced) and shop in
Aldi
Asda
and Morrisons

in the space of 2.5 hours for the weekly shop - a round trip of 18miles with free and plentiful parking.

I (not the "royal " but the household) don't like Aldi Oven Chips (Asda French Fries are nicer), prefer Heinz beans and sauces and there are some cheese my wife likes which I buy every three weeks only in Asda.

But Aldi Fruit and veg is as good as Asda - and better than Tesco - and their Magnum washing Up Liquid is far better than Fairey and half the price. I reckon Aldi are 20% cheaper than Asda.

I have a good memory for prices and Aldi's venison burgers are 10% cheaper than the identical product from Morrisons. (I like eating bambi..) Aldi's bacon is fine and its chicken is EXCELLENT.

Very rarely does Asda's 10% price promise give me any vouchers so I must be doing summat right.

I buy sugar from Farmfoods (£1.50 for 2 kgs- bees) and Andrex toilet rolls from whomever is cheapest - mainly Asda but sometimes Sainsbury.

www.hotukdeals.com/
and
tinyurl.com/q4d7cm4

help in planning.

At present home grown potatoes,rasps, apples, pears and beans keep our bills down
Last edited by: madf on Wed 25 Sep 13 at 11:43
 Shopping at Lidl - Dog
Remind me to tell y'all about my home-made chips some day.

:}
 Shopping at Lidl - madf
Hey Dog, why don't you tell us about your home made chips...
 Shopping at Lidl - Cliff Pope
>> Hey Dog, why don't you tell us about your home made chips...
>>

Just like Alanovic carries on his shoulder?

:)
Hopefully they're not quite as bitter, Cliff.

;-)
 Shopping at Lidl - Dog
Medium sized spuds (I use organic or course) I find a large spud like a King Edward can go a bit mashy and stick to the pan using my method.

Stick a large roasting dish in the AGA ;) and preheat to 200 (I don't add the oil yet)

Cut the spuds into 1/4's or 1/6's depending on size, I likes em fairly thick, like.

When the pan is ready, add a relatively small amount of oil, I use organic sesame oil but groundnut oil will do, if you're a cheapskate.

Add the chippies, tossing them (hehe!) to coat them all in oil, sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper, and shove em in the Rayburn.

Total cooking time is 40 mins but, you must toss em every 10 mins using say a fish slice, or they stick.

Chuck em on some kitchen roll when they're done to soak up any excess oil, and serve with organic cyder vinegar.
 Shopping at Lidl - Dog
Eh, I forgot to add - leave the skins on, if they look arf decent.
 Shopping at Lidl - Armel Coussine
>> Someone came round the other night and gave me a bottle of Lidl champagne.

>> seemed unusually good to me, no kidding. A word to the wise...

This is slightly embarrassing. The surprisingly good champagne was Aldi, not Lidl. I get them mixed up. Some sort of dyslexia no doubt... three letters are the same in each name, and I'm not aware of having shopped in either although I must have, to get cigarettes or something.

I say nothing against Lidl champagne if there is such a thing. But the one I recommend is Aldi.
 Shopping at Lidl - -
>> 11 days ago, in another part of the Universe.... ;-)
>>

oops.

Had a lunchtime finish unexpectedly, second run cancelled...pays to be on salary..;)

Popped into Aldi on the way home and got some stuff (one car only till the weekend when i get the old girl back), couldn't find any OXO's mind so had to pop into Morrisons as well.

Tend to split the shopping between Lidl and Morrisons usually, but i got some very good wash and wax shampoo from Aldi a few months back so hoped in vain they had some more.

I think Aldis vegetables are much better than Lidl though that could vary between stores abnd between towns i have no doubt.

Never shop at tesco unless they have some unique loss leader type offers, then i buy those and absolutely nothing else from them.
Sains is OK but for some reason i don't like the store, same with Asda thought to be fair Asda is very handy for odds and ends and have a good home and diy section.

Lidl's carrot cake is recommended, best value anywhere and very tasty.
 Shopping at Lidl - Duncan
Which? have just tested tomato soups....

"Tomato soups from Sainsbury’s, Tesco and Aldi came top for taste in the latest Which? test - beating Heinz Classic Cream of Tomato into joint-fourth place.

Which? has trialled 11 supermarket and branded cream of tomato canned soups in a blind taste test, involving 100 members of the general public.

Sainsbury’s Cream of Tomato (76%), Tesco Cream of Tomato (74%) and Aldi Soupreme Cream of Tomato (72%) were voted tastiest and are Best Buys.

All of the supermarket Best Buys are cheaper than branded varieties. And Aldi’s soup costs less than half the price of a can from the nation’s favourite soup brand Heinz".
Appropos of nothing really, I'm reminded of the dinner lady ( well "refectory assistant" it was that kind of place ) at school who had a speech impediment coupled with a strong Edinburgh accent.

The impediment caused her to find the letter "s" a virtual impossibility to pronounce and she would substitute it with an elongated "h" or sometimes "th" sound.

To this day I can't see a plate of tomato soup without hearing her voice in my head "D'ye waant hoop thon dae ye the day?"

I'm sure they used to water the soup down too.
 Shopping at Lidl - bathtub tom
SWMBO induced me to accompany her to ALDI this morning (I do rather like their smoked mackerel). It's on the edge of a large council estate and seemed to be filled with slack-jawed, mouth breathing geriatrics. Just after 10:30 it was swamped by an inrush of even more of them - SWMBO explained the Jeremy Kyle show had just finished.

I saw this and it so summed up the situation, I thought I'd share it with you:

tinyurl.com/ntv467k
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Thu 26 Sep 13 at 12:03
 Shopping at Lidl - madf
>
>> I saw this and it so summed up the situation, I thought I'd share it
>> with you:
>>
>> tinyurl.com/ntv467k
>>

None of that racism here. Wot about the Browns?

:-)
Last edited by: madf on Thu 26 Sep 13 at 13:44
Latest Forum Posts