Non-motoring > Which Digital Camera? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Netsur Replies: 31

Which Digital Camera? - Netsur
We are going to the USA this summer? Espadrille wants the children (aged 12, 10 and 5) each to have a digital camera to record the trip. I have some sympathy with this idea, as they all take a reasonable photograph for their age.

However, it would make a lot of sense if all three cameras were identical and had some similarity with our existing two cameras. My camera is a very good Canon which uses a USB connection similar to the Blackberry Pearl and the Motorola mobile phones. Espadrille's camera is a Kodak which what I assume to be a Special Kodak USB connection what is similar to my mine but slightly smaller.

Of course we need not buy three new cameras, but assuming that we do, can anyone recommend from personal experience one cheap model which meets these requirements. The problem is that without going to a shop, one cannot check the connections, as all the box tells you is that the connection is USB.
 Which Digital Camera? - R.P.
Fuji - I have a Fuji S7000 which I bought a few years ago - bought on the basis of an earlier version we had in work, faulless camera and I actually prefer it to my Canon SLR..
 Which Digital Camera? - Stuartli
Every digital camera I've owned has come with the correct USB lead to enable it to be linked up with a computer.

Morgan Computers:

tinyurl.com/2wyz3vy

usually has a selection of low cost brand name cameras, along with E-Buyer, Dabs, Scan etc.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Wed 2 Jun 10 at 21:14
 Which Digital Camera? - teabelly
Ones which take usb and have a mini usb at t'other end are probably the easiest to go for. I'd recommend any of the panasonic cameras. Mine has been great. Also fuji do some good compacts too.

Not sure any of the small digital cameras would stand up to be being used by a 5 year old though... there used to be a ruggedised kid's camera called the JamCam.

If you definitely want compatibility then you'd have to buy 3 small canons as I couldn't guarantee the canon cable and panasonic cables were the same even though they look similar.

Another alternative might be to give the two older ones mobile phones with cameras and the 5 year old a digital one designed for kids.

If quality doesn't matter or breakage then a trip to Aldi and get whatever they have on offer at £40 each :-)
My Fuji cable fits the two Canons in the family and vice versa...
I think PU has it right and Stuartli has the wrong end of the stick (Sorry!).

I mean that the end of the USB cable which fits into the camera should be able to matching the one we use for the Kodak or Canon. The other end will be standard for all cables.

I have had a look on Amazon (eBay not being my favourite site) and indeed there appears to be a Fuji which fits the bill and takes two AA batteries, so no problems looking for a charger.
>>..and Stuartli has the wrong end of the stick (Sorry!).>>

But presumably each camera's contents would need to be transferred separately to a computer for viewing, editing etc?

An alternative is a memory card reader/writer and transferring each camera's card contents as required.
 Which Digital Camera? - FotheringtonTomas
>> a memory card reader/writer and transferring each camera's card contents as required.

You can use a camera as a card reader (assuming they use the same cards....).
>>You can use a camera as a card reader (assuming they use the same cards....).>>

The same goes for an MP3 player if it uses memory cards..:-)

It's the same method used when transferring a camera's picture files via a USB lead to a computer.

However, a 7-in-1, 12-in-l etc memory card reader/writer can be used with a range of memory cards, making life easier as there would be no need to carry USB leads around.
 Which Digital Camera? - Zero
most cameras have a mini usb. I would go for any cheap digital camera for the kids, just make sure they all have the same memory card. Price is the name of the game here when you put it in the hands of a 5 year old.

A 65 quid Samsung ES17 should do it.
>> If quality doesn't matter or breakage then a trip to Aldi and get whatever they
>> have on offer at £40 each :-)

Erm, hang on, I got a camera from there which was really good. A DC-8600, IIRC. Not to say all their models will be, though.
>> without going to a shop, one cannot check the connections, as all the box
>> tells you is that the connection is USB.

They'll be one of a couple of standards. You can buy adapters, if necessary.
 Which Digital Camera? - RattleandSmoke
I've always had a general rule with cameras, Jap body, german lens. My current Panasonic Lumix has lasted me over three and a half years and still works perfectly. Only paid £230 for its (its the well known bridge camera the FZ7) but then second hand ones still go for over £100 on ebay.

As longs as the lens have been made by a well known company you should be ok. The lens is far more important than any megapixel crap!
>>The lens is far more important than any megapixel crap! >>

Agree basically. My first digital camera, a nine-year-old Minolta E203 (2Mp) compact camera with a cracking 3x zoom lens, has always proved capable of producing surprisingly sharp, detailed prints up to A4.

They still stand up pretty well when compared to my Nikon D90 18-105mm zoom lens outfit's offerings.

But neither can better a 1.8 55mm Ashai Pentax Super Takumar I've had for 44 years...:-)
 Which Digital Camera? - Focusless
>> Only paid £230 ... second hand ones still go for over £100 on ebay.

Doubt if the OP would class that as 'cheap' - he's buying 3 remember, for kids.
 Which Digital Camera? - RattleandSmoke
Yeah but my point was I used to often buy £100 cameras (now probably the sort you get for £30-£40) but would soon tire of them and want to upgrade. Now I have my Lumix I have no intendtion of upgrading so its saved me a lot of money.

For kids I would probably spend something like £70 on something half decent but basic, at this price for the more basic the better. It means as they get old hopefully they won't start mithering for better ones.
 Which Digital Camera? - Iffy
Nearly all cameras use an SD card, so who needs a lead?

The instructions for my £110 Nikon compact say it's 'better' to remove the SD card and plug that into the computer, rather than using the (supplied) lead.

Seems to me paying £100 or so gets you a smaller, thinner, camera with no loss of quality

Battery power might be worth thinking about.

My Nikon has its own rechargeable battery, which is smaller and thinner (see above) than triple or double A cells, but their advantage is they can be replaced 'on the hoof'.

Which Digital Camera? - L'escargot
>> However, it would make a lot of sense if all three cameras were identical .......

That might get them squabbling half way through the holiday over which camera is whose!
Find ones which come in different colours?! Or just stick a dymo label on :-)
Bargains !

shop.ebay.co.uk/argos-clearancebargains/m.html?_nkw=samsung+es20+10mp+camera+refurb+deal&LH_BIN=1&_in_kw=1&_sop=1
 Which Digital Camera? - Mapmaker
I bought myself last month, from the Argos ebay clearance bargains just like PU's bargain a Samsung PL60. Cost £53 incl postage, plus a SD card.

Wow I am impressed. It's taken and replayed quite a lot of video, plus pictures over a fortnight, and the battery still is on "full". It has a "special" battery rather than requiring AAs, so you just plug it into the computer to recharge - not that you will need to. (Replacement rechargeable batteries only £5.) I'd definitely look for a camera with inbuilt battery rather than AAs.

My previous digi camera, an Olympus from c2002 took three flash photos before needing a recharge of batteries...

No idea about Samsung compatability with other machines.

Cannot recommend Argos ebay customer service highly enough. First one I bought was faulty. So bought a second and posted the first back; refund came through v. quickly including return postage cost.
Rechargeable AAs are better than normal ones. I had a canon that would do 3 photos. Would do about 40 with rechargeables!

CIPA standard figure is the one to check out to see a rough comparison on battery life.
 Which Digital Camera? - Zero
I go for AAs every time. I have high capacity AA rechargebles, and its easy to recharge them with any battery charger. If you get caught out you can buy non rechargeable AAs anywhere.
That's why I liked the Fujis - My Canon can't do that.
The only problem with my otherwise superb Canon Ixus 850 is the LiIon battery which dies without warning, admittedly after several ten if not hundreds of shots. If I had a camera with AA batteries I could dig myself out of a hole quite easily using an in-car charger.

Which Digital Camera? - CGNorwich
You can get a spare battery pack for an Ixus for less than £10 now. Worthwhile investment
Yes just bought a new 'Energizer' replacement for the original battery and it seems very good.

But when it dies, there is no warning and no battery meter on the screen. Just gives a brief warning and dies.

Interestingly, we have a Snooper SatNav in the family which uses the identical battery to modern some Nokia mobiles.
 Which Digital Camera? - CGNorwich

Agree about the lack of warning of impending power failure but apart from that the ixus 850 is a remarkable little camera. Best feature is its viewfinder, an increasingly scarce feature on
small cameras
 Which Digital Camera? - Hard Cheese

I have an Ixus 950 (titanium body) and carry a spare battery, it will go hundreds of shots on one charge though.

Despite PUs experinces there is no doubt that Canon and Nikon are generally superior to the Fuji compacts as are many others, some Sony's for instance. Fuji SLRs are OK though they are basically Nikons.

Which Digital Camera? - MrTee43
I have to agree with others about Canon. I have a Canon S50, which by todays standards is old, in that the veiwing screen at the back is quite small and the pixel count is only 5 megapixels.

However, the camera produces superb results, does have a viewfinder and having a metal body, feels quite robust.

I have two batteries for it and never really find myself short of power.

The amazing thing is, that you can pick them up on ebay for as little as £20 now, when a few years back, I paid nearer £250.

A superb camera is always superb, regardless of price and as people clammer for bigger pixel counts and get caught up in the pixel race and features race, Cameras like the S50, 60 and 70 are bargains, and if all you want is great pictures, get one and try it.
 Which Digital Camera? - Biggles
Alternatively, buy each of them a Nintendo Dsi - camera/mp3 player and games machine all in one to keep them quiet.

Biggles
Last edited by: Biggles on Fri 4 Jun 10 at 08:59
Brainwave!

Went onto fleabay and am monitoring virtually brand new cameras identical to mine and Espadrilles. Hence we have existing knowledge, cables etc etc.
Latest Forum Posts