Non-motoring > Electronic cigarettes - the healthy option? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: captain chaos Replies: 20

Electronic cigarettes - the healthy option? - captain chaos
These electronic cigarettes seem to be gaining popularity and claim to be "healthier" than smoking tobacco products, with none of the harmful toxins. I feel, however, that not enough research has gone into the product, and years down the line users will face serious health problems. Available in a range of flavours, most of the additives seem to be made in China, with little or no regulation. A colleague at work uses one, and has developed a hacking cough and chest pains. I looked at the bottle of additive she uses and noticed a skull and crossbones on the label and the words "Toxic-avoid contact with skin. Do not inhale." You'd need a magnifying glass to read it, mind. As I said, needs more research. You read it here first.
 Electronic cigarettes - the healthy option? - Runfer D'Hills
I used to smoke but don't anymore. I did, while giving up, find the temporary use of a ( non-electronic ) "inhalator" ( little gizmo you sucked on which contained doses of nicotine ) helped with the quitting process.

I couldn't imagine faffing with those electronic fags though. Like alcohol free beer, solitary sex or Korean cars, on balance I'd prefer just to do without !
 Electronic cigarettes - the healthy option? - Armel Coussine
I was urged to try one and took a toke. It was unspeakable, felt to me more harmful than the real thing and far nastier.

Smokers are addicted to nicotine but also to the oral activity of sucking and blowing, a 'bad breast' in Kleinian psychoanalytic terms. Nicotine chewing gum is the best relatively harmless substitute. Doesn't make it easy to give up, but it's the only thing I've found that helps.
Do you "want" to give up AC or do you just feel you "should" for health or other reasons? I had countless failed attempts while I was in the latter mindset but found it (relatively) easy when I adopted the former.

I make no secret of the fact that I enjoyed every single cigarette I ever smoked and indeed would enjoy one now if I allowed myself the indulgence, but the only way, for me anyway, to beat it was to decide that I no longer wanted to be beholden to the drug.

Sounds trivial I know but I remember staring at a packet of my favourites and asking myself who was the stronger, me, or that inanimate cardboard box?

The cravings are a horrible time and I don't underestimate their intensity, but unlike genuine thirst or hunger, they do pass. I found that when in the fiercest grip of a craving episode, it really helped to just remind myself that in ten minutes or so, if I could fight the temptation, I'd feel fine again for a while.

Most smokers, well, speaking for myself anyway, tend to do so at certain key times. First thing in a morning maybe or after meals, with a coffee or with alcohol. Those aren't the only occasions of course but they are particular trigger moments. I found initially avoiding those "key" smokes was a great help. Conquer those and the rest are pretty straightforward.

I certainly don't criticise anyone who is not ready to stop or simply doesn't want to at all yet. You really do have to be in the right frame of mind. It isn't easy but it is do-able if you're determined enough.

I still fancy one now and then and if I believed I could treat tobacco like I do alcohol ( ie I might have a drink once every few weeks but never more than that and never more than a couple at a time ) I'd be tempted to have the odd cig in the same way but I simply don't trust myself enough to try it !
 Electronic cigarettes - the healthy option? - Robin O'Reliant

>> Most smokers, well, speaking for myself anyway, tend to do so at certain key times.
>> First thing in a morning maybe or after meals, with a coffee or with alcohol.
>> Those aren't the only occasions of course but they are particular trigger moments. I found
>> initially avoiding those "key" smokes was a great help. Conquer those and the rest are
>> pretty straightforward.
>>
>>
>>
Pretty much how I see it. I'm not a heavy smoker, 9 or 10 a day but there are times I feel life would be miserable without a cigarette, first thing in the morning or the last one before I go to bed for example. I wouldn't mind giving up because the £25 a week I'd save would be handy, but I just don't want to do it badly enough.

E cigarettes are useless, you just continue the habit without the satisfaction. the only way is how you did it, all or nothing.
 Electronic cigarettes - the healthy option? - Zero
Dont believe the old "it only takes 1 ciggy" guff. Been a non smoker for 6 years. Someone left a packet of ciggies here last weekend after a BBQ, found them them the other day, so I thought "why not"

So I lit one up, smoked half of it, put it out. The packet remains here otherwise untouched, and I have no fears I will light another.

Electronic cigarettes - the healthy option? - Armel Coussine
>> The packet remains here otherwise untouched, and I have no fears I will light another.

Ah yes, the old iron will. If you've got one of those you can never be addicted to anything, stands to reason...

I sometimes put them out quite early, especially early in the day. Part of me thinks, what a waste, and another part thinks, yuck that wasn't very nice, and it's good to waste them because they're bad as everyone keeps yipping, wailing and otherwise binding on... But that's as far as it goes.

In Runfer's analysis I think I ought to give up (cough, hawk, spit) and quite want to (the damn things cost more than eight bob each just for a start), but I don't really really want to with all my being. Pat may understand this among others. She was an unreconstructed snout addict last time she said.
 Electronic cigarettes - the healthy option? - Harleyman
I'm very much in the same boat AC. After I pranged me wagon in January I decided to lay off the weed, but only lasted a few days. I do enjoy me ciggies too.

I don't smoke much in the mornings and never before I've at least had a cup of tea. Usually crave one most after food and when I'm out for a beer.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Sun 6 Oct 13 at 20:32
I gave 'em up three years ago. There are still times when I fancy one, like when having a drink or after a meal. I couldn't risk having one though, slippery slope and all that. I used to eat the things and it took an iron will to stop. I don't begrudge anybody enjoying a fag though and can't abide anti-smoking Nazis. Wife smokes but a packet lasts her a week, if I could have cut down to that I probably wouldn't have quit, but I never did do things by halves.
Should never have banned smoking in pubs either, what was wrong with having a snug room?
Nanny state pfft.
Pretty much with you there CC. I'm certainly not anti-smoking either. Quite apart from anything else it would be fairly hypocritical of me if I was ! On the pub thing, while I'm right with you, in my later years as a smoker I probably got into more interesting conversations than ever before with fellow refugees in the smoking shelters ! Bit like the kitchen at parties.
 Electronic cigarettes - the healthy option? - Dog
>>In Runfer's analysis I think I ought to give up (cough, hawk, spit)

It's bad for your health Sire, giving up that is, if you gave up the snout now after how many years? you'd suffer for it.

Any toll the fags have taken on your body over the years wont be undone by quitting now.
Aye, a year after I packed in I had a stroke.
 Electronic cigarettes - the healthy option? - Pat
>> Pat may understand this among others. She was an unreconstructed snout addict last time she said. <<

I still am AC:)

Nice to see we're not totally condemned on this thread though.

As for pubs, I really do feel each landlord should have a choice to make his pub either totally smoking or no smoking and advertise which it is outside.

That way his business can stand or fail by his choice and the choice of the customers.

I haven't tried E cigs yet and really have no plans to, I have a 7 hour session of training today where I will just have one 'fag break' in the middle and can cope quite well.

However I do have the odd one in my training sessions who insist on 'smoking' an E cig all the way through it and I find that annoys me intensely!

I know it's done to provoke an argument along the lines of me saying you can't use that in the training room, along with the counter argument of it isn't smoking, so I simply prefer to refuse to be provoked and ignore it completely!

Pat
>> Been a non smoker for 6 years...

Did you find giving up made you in any way irritable, short tempered or intolerant?

;-)

No, he mellowed somewhat....
 Electronic cigarettes - the healthy option? - Zero
>> >> Been a non smoker for 6 years...
>>
>> Did you find giving up made you in any way irritable, short tempered or intolerant?
>>
>> ;-)

Get stuffed you ponce.
One hundred and eighty !

:-))
 Electronic cigarettes - the healthy option? - PhilW
Made me laugh! ;-)
 Electronic cigarettes - the healthy option? - PhilW
So much I went for a quick drag on my Mehari's Brasil cigar. Oh and topped up the wine glass!
 Electronic cigarettes - the healthy option? - Ted

This afternoon, before this thread came up, I was in the shed showing some of the grandson's little mates the railway. Chatting with their dad, I noticed 2 packets of pipe tobacco, well sealed, with three or 4 pipes by the bench.

I had a long sniff at the bacca and resolved to enjoy a pipeful or two tomorrow while I was doing a bit of work on the old car. I've not bothered for a long time but I don't think I'll become addicted.........I never was.

It's image really...the craftsman in his brown warehouse coat, pipe in mouth and breast pocket full of pencils and spanners busy at his trade !

Trouble is, no one around to admire the scene. Still, just indulged in a new CD/Radio so Herr Mahler might get a bit of stick tomorrow.

Ted
 Electronic cigarettes - the healthy option? - DP
I hit my 1 year quit mark this week (Thursday)and the method I used to stop doesn't have any time for any form of nicotine replacement whether gum, e-cigs or patches. Nicotine is addictive, but withdrawal symptoms are very mild compared to most other addictive substances. Two days of intermittent discomfort and you're done.

The "enjoyment" of a cigarette is an illusion caused by the alleviation of the withdrawal symptoms that started the second you put out your last one. The brain quickly associates lighting up and inhaling smoke with the satiation of these withdrawal pangs. Inhale smoke = feel better. It really is that simple. When in actual fact it's only the nicotine that creates the need to feel better in the first place. Take the nicotine out of the equation, and you're in the same position as a smoker when they light up a much needed cigarette.

Similarly when you actually inhale the smoke, you feel that "pull" against your throat which I genuinely used to believe was a pleasant thing. It's not of course. It's the fact that seconds after doing this, the nicotine hits your bloodstream and those withdrawal pangs ease. The brain associates the two, and therefore the action itself is interpreted as pleasant.

Like many things, "enjoying" smoking is a psychological illusion, as is the feeling that you need to do it. That said, I still don't believe smokers should be forced to quit. I only succeeded when I decided I'd had enough and didn't want to do it any more. People have to come to that conclusion themselves, or not as the case may be. If people genuinely don't want to stop smoking, they should be free to exercise that right. There are far too many minorities and unelected groups in this country who feel they have the right to tell others what to do.

Latest Forum Posts