Non-motoring > Shirts: what to keep in them, what to keep them in Miscellaneous
Thread Author: WillDeBeest Replies: 51

Shirts: what to keep in them, what to keep them in - WillDeBeest
Some appalling revelations in the contactless cards thread: shirts with pockets, walking shoes to work, gold-plated pens. But more shocking still was Manatee's
...at the bottom of the shirt drawer.

Does anyone else here keep shirts in a drawer? And if so, how are they fit to wear afterwards?

More to the point, who here knows where to get hold of shirt hangers? The sort you always used to get - occasionally still do - with a purchase: plastic, with a swivelling metal hook. Wooden ones are too bulky, moulded hooks won't stay on the line or stack for an ironing session, yet no-one I've found sells swivelling plastic hangers. Any ideas, chaps?

And let's just save Pat the trouble and take her derisive snort as read, shall we?
}:---)
 Shirts: what to keep in them, what to keep them in - Alanovich
>> ironing session

No no no no no. Non-iron shirts only.
 Shirts: what to keep in them, what to keep them in - Ted

Hanger world here, got a suitcase full of spares. I mostly wear polo shirts. After drying I fold them and keep them in a drawer. They don't need ironing.

The few full button up shirts I own are kept on hangers. I've got 3 grades of polos. Best/work/crawling under the floor or car.

My days of trying to be a fashion icon are well over !

Ted
 Shirts: what to keep in them, what to keep them in - Manatee
No good me answering, I've blown my credibility.

I hate double cuffs too. I have to shop this afternoon for a white shirt for my daughter's wedding on Saturday week. My button down collared ones have been deemed unsuitable (literally).

No I will not be wearing any sort of tail coat, weskit, or tall hat. Just a black suit, white shirt, plain lilac tie (theme by daughter), black shoes. Fire away.

The "other side" will be sporting the filibeg (it will be north of the border, and they are of the Scottish persuasion).
 Shirts: what to keep in them, what to keep them in - Alanovich
>> I hate double cuffs too.

Amen, brother. Pointless nonsense for pointless Estate Agents.
 Shirts: what to keep in them, what to keep them in - Clk Sec
>> >> I hate double cuffs too.

So do I, as it means that one has to faff around with cuff links.

And, I absolutely loathe shirts without a pocket.
 Shirts: what to keep in them, what to keep them in - Skip
All of my shirts including t shirts and polo shirts are kept on hangers, I find it easier than trying to fold them.
My shirts are also kept on hangars. Surely there isn't any other way of storing them, without having to iron them on a daily basis.
 Shirts: what to keep in them, what to keep them in - Runfer D'Hills
My wife attends to all these matters. I simply wear garments and when appropriate place them subsequently in a wicker washing basket in the dressing room. They re-appear within a few days, if required, on hangers, in the wardrobe. I'd not interfere.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Wed 9 Oct 13 at 13:11
 Shirts: what to keep in them, what to keep them in - No FM2R
All shirts folded. Comes from years of travelling. They stay neater than packing them on hangers.
 Shirts: what to keep in them, what to keep them in - CGNorwich
I use the same system but without the hassle of putting them in a wicker basket. Leave them in a heap by the bed. Works for me.
Those of us that aren't involved with any kitchen duties are expected to place our soiled shirts in the wicker basket provided, and put them into the wardrobe (on hangars) when they have been laundered.
 Shirts: what to keep in them, what to keep them in - BiggerBadderDave
As a student I shared room with a lad who was a few years older than me and had been in the army. He was dressed immaculately and was constantly ironing, ironing, ironing and tidying up. My stuff too.

Many, many years later, a new pub landlord took over my local. He wore starched, perfectly ironed shirts. You could cut yourself on the ironed creases. I asked him what he was doing before he entered the beer trade. "I was in the army" he replied.

I'm a t-shirt guy. I wear denim shirts if it drops to minus temperatures but I never ever ever tuck them in. I do have special 'wedding /funeral' shirt with double cuffs but can't remember when I last wore it.
Oh dear Dave, you have been out of the loop for a bit longer than we thought haven't you? A denim shirt is not a problem as such, provided you don't wear it concurrently with denim jeans. Jeans are more than fine but never with any other denim at the same time. As for the not tucking in part, well, that all a bit "noughties" I'm afraid, what you must do now is tuck the front of your shirt in ( only the very front, in effect the area immediately behind your belt buckle ) while leaving the rest hanging out if you want a casual look. The fully untucked shirt, particularly if the wearer ( not suggesting this applies to you of course ) has a well developed beer gut, can lead to a rather dalek-like side view...
Well, if I wear a denim shirt with my denim jeans AND wear my denim coat - it's a bit like wearing a suit isn't it? Kind of smart, no? Actually, a couple of kids were laughing at me on the tube for that a couple of years ago.

But a denim coat has to be long, below the buttocks, an overcoat - not a Shakin' Stevens look-a-like...

I hate saying that awful word - jacket. Makes me vomit.
Last edited by: BiggerBadderDave on Wed 9 Oct 13 at 14:00
Indeed, and as for ties, they remain only appropriate as a mark of respect to someone who is getting married or who has died. At all other times they are but a symbol of a satorial lack of spirit and imagination.
 Shirts: what to keep in them, what to keep them in - Bromptonaut
Used to waste hours ironing shirts. After a change of tumble dryer we found that with a bit of care they could be extracted more or less crease free.

Just hang them up, initially on back of kitchen door waiting to be put away in wardrobe. Same process for work or leisure shirts. Tees are folded and stored in a drawer.

No shortage of hangers - the late Mother out law had thousands!! If wee needed them then Wilkinsons sell them and they're also a special in Aldi from time to time.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 9 Oct 13 at 13:20
>>Used to waste hours ironing shirts

Oh I'm not sure that it's totally wasted time. I've previously helpfully advised her to swop hands so that both arms get the benefit of the excercise while she's ironing.
 Shirts: what to keep in them, what to keep them in - Robin O'Reliant
Hangers?

My entire wardrobe fits on the back of a chair.
That one of those Ikea wardrobes?
 Shirts: what to keep in them, what to keep them in - Cliff Pope
Wooden hangers, all apparently stolen from hotels.
Hangers?

The Mother-in-lard has a massive pair.
 Shirts: what to keep in them, what to keep them in - DP
Ironing a shirt is as much a part of my morning routine as cleaning my teeth or shaving. I go through phases where I am more organised and do a few ahead of time, but inevitably revert to doing it on a daily basis.

"my morning routine as cleaning my teeth or shaving"

That's exactly like the mother-in-lard's routine.
 Shirts: what to keep in them, what to keep them in - helicopter
I was taught to iron shirts by my mother and have never forgotten the art..... however in UK SWMBO irons and folds my shirts which I put in the shirt drawer.....

In the Middle East one of the company houseboys collects and does the laundry daily - shirts appear freshly laundered and ironed on hangers in the wardrobe.....

SWMBO likes it when I am on a tour of duty as she never has a pile of dirty laundry...
>> I was taught to iron shirts by my mother and have never forgotten the art.....

Me too together with other domestic tasks and, from my uncle, an understanding of how stuff worked and how to wire plugs, mend fuses and do basic electrical diagnostics

Quite taken aback on moving into shared accom to find how clueless many others were about washing machines, irons, cookers etc. Don't think much has changed either judging by my daughter's experience in student digs. She ended up as the goto person for anything electrical like tripped MCBs or washing machine malfunctions.
 Shirts: what to keep in them, what to keep them in - sooty123
I have half hung up but more for ease than anything else. Mine don't really crease as they are quite thick. The other lot get shoved in a drawer. Can't say I do much ironing, looks fine when it's dried to my eyes. Although when required I do razor sharp creases and the rest of the shirt crease free when required.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Wed 9 Oct 13 at 14:16
 Shirts: what to keep in them, what to keep them in - Robin O'Reliant
If you put a shirt on when it's still damp it sort of moulds itself to you and gets rid of the creases. Trick I learnt when I lived on my own after the first Mrs RR walked out.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Wed 9 Oct 13 at 14:51
 Shirts: what to keep in them, what to keep them in - WillDeBeest
'Mould' and 'shirt' are two words I'd rather not associate too closely, RR. Perhaps Mrs RR took the same view.
};---)

What does work is to wear an unironed, but not hopelessly crumpled shirt under a thin sweater. In the time it takes to drive to work, the gentle permeation of moisture through the fabric is enough to smooth out the wrinkles.

Incidentally, creases belong on trousers, not on sleeves. I have a few non-iron shirts but I save them for travelling because I don't like the pressed-in creases.
 Shirts: what to keep in them, what to keep them in - sooty123

>>
>> Incidentally, creases belong on trousers, not on sleeves. I have a few non-iron shirts but
>> I save them for travelling because I don't like the pressed-in creases.
>>
I think for the right occasion you should iron creases into the sleeves, looks smart to me.
 Shirts: what to keep in them, what to keep them in - Roger.

>> Just a black suit, white shirt, plain lilac tie (theme by daughter), black shoes.

That outfit will do for a funeral, too!

Shirts: what to keep in them, what to keep them in - Manatee
>>That outfit will do for a funeral, too!

Everything I buy now is multi-purpose!
 Shirts: what to keep in them, what to keep them in - Zero
Short sleeve shirts folded and in drawers, long sleeve shorts on hangers.

I still have my "jason King" shirt that went with my crushed velvet purple DJ

( a jason king shirt - frilly front, over the buttons - large fold back cuffs)
>>Short sleeve shirts

Not worn outside the home, I presume.
>> Jason King shirt....Purple velvet DJ

Jeez, that's another new keyboard I'm going to need...
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Wed 9 Oct 13 at 17:17
 Shirts: what to keep in them, what to keep them in - Pat
Derisive snort duly made:) I shall skip to the next thread now.

....off to mums.net for a better read!

Pat
Incidentally, I had to have a posh frock a few weeks ago for a posh occasion, of course I didn't have one.

I resented spending mega bucks on something to wear once so I bought one for 99p on Ebay and sold it on Ebay for £2.99 after the event....before you all start, there's nothing wrong with making a profit!

Pat
 Shirts: what to keep in them, what to keep them in - Armel Coussine
>>I bought one for 99p on Ebay and sold it on Ebay for £2.99 after the event....before you all start

Don't suppose you've got a nice selfie of you in it that you can post Pat?

I'm imagining a thing in dark flimsy silk crèpe, slightly torn and well repaired, with strings of small jet beads hanging from the hem, sort of 1920s style... the sort of posh frock you would look really good in. But I suppose if it was like that you would have done the sensible thing and kept it.
The mind boggls a bit at the image of a sprauncy young Zero in a purple crushed velvet smoking jacket. But we all had some bad-taste garments in the sixties. Carnaby Street schmutter, the damn velvet would get bald patches before you got it home... and the shoes with big buckles were made of blotting paper.

Ted and mod styles - even rocker style at a pinch - were vastly preferable to that sixties hippie crap.
 Shirts: what to keep in them, what to keep them in - corax
I'm sure Ted and the Mods would agree.
 Shirts: what to keep in them, what to keep them in - R.P.
Loved this thread. Mrs RP looks after my clothes...she is very good like that. I have not bought a new shirt in 5 years - in fact I binned a load, and keep a collection of around 5 smart shirts and a few ties - I had 52 when I retired, now down to single figures. CAB is very casual, another manager and the big boss wear shirt and tie, but the other manager is ex-army. I wear Polo shirts when I'm out and about. Otherwise casual shirts, no tie...ever. In fact I did buy a Triumph (motorcycle - not underwear) branded shirt which is beautifully made and cost less than a tenner on their clearance site. Otherwise its Weddings, Bar-mitzvahs and Funerals only, I do tuck my shirt in, tee shirts are worn outside the belt.
I once had a jumper, knitted by my mother for me, in nasturtium colour. (yep - my choice of colour!
In later years I had a couple of whistles, each with a red lining, made for me by a tailor on Rye Lane.
My favourite "spiv" dress was a very nice dark blue mohair suit with two pairs of strides.
These days I get whistles from charity shops. Got one made once - but it was really off-the-peg modified - at Cecil Gee in the sixties. It didn't fit well really and I didn't come to like it until it got frayed. I used to go to psychoanalysis in it. I got gonorrhea in it too. The sixties had a downside, children.

Inherited once a proper whistle that unfortunately had to be much altered to make it fit, although the short coat was fashionable at the time. More recently had a City wide boy's navy pinstripe double breasted job, proper West End tailoring, secondhand but fitted well. Nothing lasts for ever though. Bit scruffy these days although I still have two whistles.
 Shirts: what to keep in them, what to keep them in - R.P.
I'm down to two. A very nice light grey Monsoon one bought off the peg in Covent Garden - lovely cut, nice soft finish, and a black one for funerals...
Just one suit. Dark enough for funerals but not to sombre for other occasions. Slacks with collar, tie available, for work. Jacket in a cupboard if needed for unplanned meetings.

Senior Civil Servants and Judges in seventies used to harrumph a bit about what looked like a sports coat but not any more.
 Shirts: what to keep in them, what to keep them in - Zero
My Saville Row tailored suit went by the wayside about 4 inches ago. I now have one suit, a nice M&S Italian styled number, that I prefer with a black shirt. 'er indoors calls it the "Tony Soprano" outfit.

I have a nice light coloured Italian Jacket I bought from TK max, to go with some nice cream coloured linen trousers. Difficult to match shoes with that, the ox-blood penny loafers are the only thing.

Apart from that, the rest comes from Next or the Lands end discount outlet in Oakham.
I'm too fat to get into suit and my decent trousers and my maroon blazer and my..................................................
 Shirts: what to keep in them, what to keep them in - Ted

Well, this thread is revealing some right poncy dandies.

I have one suit, dark grey, Eaves Sant Laurent or summat. Can't get in the bags due to extended belly growth. It's got turnups, though...how cool is that ?

I'm used to ironing proper shirts, I've ironed about 14 on the trot. Only now in emergency. Heavy check patterns from George at £6.00 a throw don't show the creases too much.

In uniform, we had blue shirts with detachable collars. I only used to iron the ' V ' that showed under the tunic. No point in doing the rest, we had no ' shirt sleeve order ' in the 60s. A summer weight uniform was issued but it was so scruffy that no-one used it. I found a shop that had some soft plastic ex RAF collars for sale......a godsend ! In these days of hi-vis, you might be surprised that we had a night uniform.......everything shiny, buttons/buckle/numbers/helmet and cap badges was matt black. Armed with a foot long bit of African hardwood and a whistle, you could lurk to your heart's content !

I recently had a tie cull, kept me wedding tie, , it'll be a touch of irony when I strangle her with it ! I've kept a couple of smart ones and sentimental ones. Little quiz...one is dark blue with a capital letter H which has curved verticals. Above it is a halo. Any guess what it represents ?

Nowadays I probably vie with Lud for down at heel scruffyness...me bird lives in a state of constant dismay.

Ted

"went by the wayside about 4 inches ago"

I dress to the left but if you've lost 4 inches I doubt it matters which direction.
It was black, very chic, as new and completely served it's purpose.

It's called my contribution to recycling!

>>Don't suppose you've got a nice selfie of you in it that you can post Pat? <<

It was also the type of dress I certainly wouldn't be photographed in:)

Pat
 Shirts: what to keep in them, what to keep them in - Fenlander
I fitted out the bedrooms in this place we bought 2yrs ago and went for a huge amount of wardrobe space so everything of ours that can hang is on hangers.... even the Rolling Stones T-Shirts.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 10 Oct 13 at 09:10
 Shirts: what to keep in them, what to keep them in - helicopter
My first suits in the sixties were for work.... a made to measure very smart pinstripe city job by John Collier ( the window to watch) and for leisure a green mohair job with silver threads in it.....

Happily no photos exist from that time......
Latest Forum Posts