Non-motoring > BBC QT Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 98

BBC QT - Roger.
Both my wife & I have managed to be part of BBC Question Time audience tomorrow 7th. Nov.
We have submitted our advance questions, but will also be asked to submit a topical question on the day of recording.
Obviously with an audience of probably 70 to 80 people (best guess) and only for or five questions being put the chances of either of us being chosen is remote.
What would fellow members like to see put to the panel - if we get the chance?
(Not EU/immigration/UKIP policies.)
I fancy a question to the Under-secretary for Defence on morale in the Armed Forces, following defence cuts etc.
 BBC QT - Alanovich
Who is on the panel?
 BBC QT - Manatee
David Dimbleby presents Question Time from Boston in Lincolnshire. With defence minister Anna Soubry MP, shadow attorney general Emily Thornberry MP, UKIP leader Nigel Farage MEP, poet Benjamin Zephaniah and Vicky Pryce, author of the book Prisonomics
 BBC QT - Stuu
Roger, I would like to know if politics becoming so focussed on key marginal seats has played a part in voter apathy.
 BBC QT - No FM2R
Why should the man in the street going about his day to day life with his real-life issues and concerns, bother to vote given the standard of behaviour and job performance of all political parties over the last 30 year?
 BBC QT - Haywain
"Why should the man in the street ……………….."

Good question! Nigel would come up with a worthwhile answer.
 BBC QT - helicopter
I would like to know the panels views on the 'Health Tourists' and how the panel would implement charging by the NHS.....

BBC QT - Manatee
Why does the BBC think we should be interested in the views of a convicted liar peddling her book, could they not find enough honest public figures? (Rhetorical question, sorry).
 BBC QT - Alanovich
I'm struggling to see the point of any of the panelists, to be frank. Very weak line up.
 BBC QT - Haywain
"Very weak line up."

Eighty percent correct! Nigel is always good value.
 BBC QT - Alanovich
>> "Very weak line up."
>>
>> Eighty 100 percent correct! Nigel is always good value talking cobblers.
>>
 BBC QT - Haywain
Don't be stressed*, Alanovic, be proud; 80% correct is good for you!

* reference to nearby thread.
 BBC QT - Alanovich
>> 80% correct is good for you!

We have differing opinions is all. No need for yah-boos.
 BBC QT - Roger.
As you all know, we are UKIP members & activists - what - you DIDN'T know? ;-)
Given this possible opportunity I asked our regional organiser if there were any specific questions he would like us to put, knowing that on other occasions other parties had loaded up their members. (Remember the diatribe at UKIP'S Diane James)

TBH I was reassured with his answer - verbatim:-

"Best advice I can give is keep them topical, not EU stuff, NF can take any question on the chin, no prepared stuff for him.
Have a great night.
Cheers
Don"
 BBC QT - TheManWithNoName
Sorry, kind of a UKIP specific question, but it has wider implications.
Ask Nigel this:

If UKIP comes to power and Nige allows a referendum on Europe, what will he do if the majority vote to remain in the EU?
 BBC QT - Robin O'Reliant
>
>> If UKIP comes to power and Nige allows a referendum on Europe, what will he
>> do if the majority vote to remain in the EU?
>>

If UKIP come to power it will be because the majority do not want to remain in the EU.
 BBC QT - Stuu
UKIP support the referendum as a second-best option and since Cameron partly ( or mainly depending on your view ) offered it due to rising UKIP poll ratings, it is only polite for us to back the idea - vote for UKIP as a majority and we are heading for Brexit.
 BBC QT - Roger.
Strictly speaking, there is no legal need for an IN/OUT referendum.
All a member state of the EU has to do is to serve notice to quit, under article 50 of the constitution of the EU, and in the fullness of time they are out!
A vote of the people is not necessary, just a decision by an elected government.

Last edited by: Roger on Wed 6 Nov 13 at 17:56
 BBC QT - Roger.
More sensible suggestions, please!
 BBC QT - Ted

One for both of us, Dodger.
Why do politicians always seem to put pensioners bottom of the list when it comes to benefits and rights which they have worked for for the last 50 years.

Ted
 BBC QT - Bromptonaut
>>
>> One for both of us, Dodger.
>> Why do politicians always seem to put pensioners bottom of the list when it comes
>> to benefits and rights which they have worked for for the last 50 years.
>>
>> Ted

Pensioners have so far been pretty well immune from the shrinking of the welfare state, bedroom tax etc. Given that pensioner benefits are something like 50% of the welfare budget that's probably unsustainable. And of course all you paid was supporting the oldies at the time., not putting stuff by for you. Your only hope is all those Romanians coming over here and paying lots of tax.......
 BBC QT - MJW1994
I suspect if the average pensioner actually worked out what they are drawing from the system today relative to what they've paid in, then they will be getting a pretty good deal. With an ageing population is is undoubtedly unsustainable but no politcal party will go anywhere near that as it would be political suicide.
 BBC QT - Robin O'Reliant
>> Your only hope is all those Romanians coming
>> over here and paying lots of tax.......
>>

And then retiring themselves and drawing a pension. Constantly increasing the population to fund pensions doesn't work unless you're happy to see the day when the whole country is one giant city.

The answer, however it may not appeal is to raise retirement age in line with increased life expectancy - something governments of both sides have put off doing for decades.
 BBC QT - Skip

>> The answer, however it may not appeal is to raise retirement age in line with
>> increased life expectancy - something governments of both sides have put off doing for decades.
>>

I've always thought that the retirement age for women should be at least 5 years higher than for men as they live longer !
 BBC QT - ....
You could ask which party is going to get public finances under control.
Labour left with a national debt of £700bn which is now somewhere around £1.4tn.
Which party is going to stop acting like a teenager with a credit card gambling on low interest rates and plan beyond the end of the next parliament ?
 BBC QT - -
>> You could ask which party is going to get public finances under control.

Thats the question, much squirming from all but Nige.

BBC very unlikely to pass it if they know in advance.
 BBC QT - Lygonos
>>Thats the question, much squirming from all but Nige.

Well known for his views on raising taxes, cutting pensions and reducing spending on the NHS is he?

Otherwise he's as FOS as the rest ;-)
Last edited by: Lygonos on Wed 6 Nov 13 at 19:22
 BBC QT - Stuu
Whenever the public finances are mentioned they start mixing debt with deficit, anyone remember when Cameron said we were paying down the debt ( when actually the debt has risen ) - most of them just trot out a prepared line that you already know before you hear it.
Labour will call for 'investment', the Tories will say they are 'in control' and the Limp Dems will sit on the fence and look for a passing bandwagon depending on what the audience claps loudest for, but for certain they will be the ones that have 'balanced' something.
Last edited by: FoR on Wed 6 Nov 13 at 19:26
 BBC QT - Lygonos
Ask the panel whether their personal Income and 'net worth' has increased/decreased/stayed the same since 2008.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Wed 6 Nov 13 at 19:34
 BBC QT - Stuu
Ask if Mark Pritchard is wearing especially nice suits these days.... :-)
 BBC QT - MJW1994
I made a decision about a year ago to completely distance myself from politics and it's been surprisingly liberating. I don't have any time for any of them, apart from the odd conviction politican.

UKIP are just latching onto a bit of electoral sentiment at the moment, my prediction is that they and their charismatic leader will sink without trace in 2015.
 BBC QT - -
>> UKIP are just latching onto a bit of electoral sentiment at the moment, my prediction
>> is that they and their charismatic leader will sink without trace in 2015.

You might be right, but the first elections, the European in 2014 should provide an interesting rehearsal, if UKIP, as i suspect make massive gains possibly win outright then i suggest you buy a popcorn franchise and sit back and watch the fireworks for the whole year.

BBC QT - Roger.
There is a thread for UKIP, folks!
 BBC QT - Bromptonaut
>> >> UKIP are just latching onto a bit of electoral sentiment at the moment, my
>> prediction
>> >> is that they and their charismatic leader will sink without trace in 2015.
>>
>> You might be right, but the first elections, the European in 2014 should provide an
>> interesting rehearsal, if UKIP, as i suspect make massive gains possibly win outright then i
>> suggest you buy a popcorn franchise and sit back and watch the fireworks for the
>> whole year.

European elections and General election are chalk and cheese.

In many minds the former don't matter much so chucking a protest at anybody - Green, UKIP or BNP as random examples - is a no cost option. PR means the protest parties actually get some folks elected.

In a General Election under FPTP at best UKIP will distort results and let Labour or LD win Conservative target seats. MAybe a reverse version in odd working class Labour seat.

They'll win no more than one seat - Farage if he chooses right place and he's lucky - but otherwise sink without much trace.

More interesting will be whether Greens hold Brighton.
 BBC QT - Lygonos
>>More interesting will be whether Greens hold Brighton

Thought the Pinks were in Brighton
 BBC QT - Armel Coussine
>> Thought the Pinks were in Brighton

In the early eighties the place was crawling with Reds.

Actually I was there earlier this evening. Don't like the place but I'm glad I went. For one thing I had a pint of Aspall cider. Damn good stuff I remember from the seventies when it cost nine bob a gallon from the cider house in Church Aspall... .
 BBC QT - Lygonos
>> For one thing I had a pint of Aspall cider.

Was making stew at the weekend and had bought a bottle of Guiness Foreign stout to tilt into the stock.

Much tastier than the regular carp - over 7% abv as well.

Had to buy another to enjoy with dinner :-)
 BBC QT - Haywain
" a pint of Aspall cider. Damn good stuff"

I absolutely agree!

But where's "Church Aspall"?
 BBC QT - Armel Coussine
>> where's "Church Aspall"?

Have I got the name wrong? I thought it was a very small hamlet sort of thing in Suffolk. If visiting, say, Cambridge, one could rush over there and visit the quite old and traditional cider house, attached to a sort of manor farm place. The family who produced it and sold you the big jars were sort of gentry. But I imagine it is now in the hands of a big international booze company (although the brew, pale and clear from a pump, 5.5%, is still very nice indeed).

The stuff was produced in three grades, rough, medium and sweet. Medium was the one, improved from the rough with a bit of glucose I think. It was a bit cloudy, harmless, and decently intoxicating. The one I drank in Brighton was a bit gassy and very pale, almost colourless.

BBC QT - Haywain
"Have I got the name wrong?"

You may have, AC, as I couldn't find a place called 'Church Aspall'. Aspall's 'cyder' is made in the village of Aspall, a couple of miles north of Debenham in east Suffolk (I'm in west Suffolk). After you had mentioned the subject, I was prompted to look them up and you're correct - the firm has a family-run background. I like cider, and Aspall's in particular where it is available, but it has always held a slight mystique to me. My impression of the brand is one of a superior product made with the unfathomable dignity of a business owned by the gentry - similar in some ways to Morgan cars. I suspect that the mystique is maintained by the fact that they don't encourage 'brewery visits' unlike many established brewers - at least, not according to their website.

An old friend, who I haven't seen for a some years, works for them and the reports suggest that they are a meanly-run ship - all he could get from the staff shop was 'past its sell-by date' cider vinegar!
 BBC QT - Armel Coussine
>> the unfathomable dignity of a business owned by the gentry

It's true there was no big effort to make visitors welcome, but they were perfectly civil and businesslike once you were there. Later the traffic may have become too heavy for comfort.

They had a charmingly eccentric company crest which I remember as a full suit of armour sporting something rather like an Old Etonian tie... Perhaps just the helmet and shoulder pieces, it's a long time since I saw it.
 BBC QT - Haywain
"They had a charmingly eccentric company crest……"

Is this the one that you remember?

On their website, click 'Our Heritage', then 'history', then click on 'The Knight's Tale' on the apple tree.

www.aspall.co.uk

BBC QT - Duncan
>> Actually I was there earlier this evening. Don't like the place but I'm glad I
>> went. For one thing I had a pint of Aspall cider. Damn good stuff
>>

In here, perchance?

tinyurl.com/qx23hxk
 BBC QT - Manatee
>>I made a decision about a year ago to completely distance myself from politics

About the time you got the vote then? You peaked too early.
 BBC QT - MJW1994
It might even have been a bit earlier, I can remember my parents getting excited about politics and me thinking what a complete load of waffle it was.
 BBC QT - Haywain
We hope to get back from the cinema in time for the programme, otherwise we'll have to record it. BUT, I don't think you've told us yet, Roger, how we are going to recognise you!
 BBC QT - Clk Sec
I've recorded the programme. Any prizes for the poster who correctly identifies you?
;-)
 BBC QT - Roger.
Here is my selection of questions.
The first six are possibilities to enter on the card when signing in (photo identity required!).
I still have not made up my mind which one to pick!
Obviously the chance of one of mine being chosen is remote.
The Arrival time is 6pm to 6:30pm, with proceedings being over by about 9:30pm
It will be interesting to see how the final program differs from the recording!
The instructions say "no badges or adverts" , but I should be wearing my poppy!
Clue! One of my items of apparel will be in one of the UKIP colours!

An MP, on a taxpayer funded trip, joked that politicians “scrounge all the time “. Another has been exposed for offering to set up business deals for foreign officials, using his political contacts.
What does this say for the probity of those in public positions?

The Attorney General has warned that every prisoner in Britain could sue for damages in the European Court of Human Rights, over their voting ban.
What are the panel's views?

Is closing the Portsmouth ship building facility and leaving the Clyde less affected, a political or commercial decision?

Has Russell Brand any credibility?

MOD cuts and the way they are being implemented, are destroying morale in Britain's armed forces, a minister has admitted.
What are the panel's views?

Should taxpayers subsidise employers who pay the “Living Wage”?

Emailed Q:

"This week the CBI has published a report which states that Britain would be better off remaining in the EU.
  Given the CBI's record in its EU forecasts, how much credence should we give to this document?"

BBC QT - Armel Coussine
I didn't spot you Roger. There were two or perhaps three people who might have been you, but what do I know from here?

Most of your important subjects were covered. Your man put in his usual jaunty performance, a bit better than usual but with the usual flaws. Were you the geezer on the aisle shown nodding in agreement with one of his points? Unless you tell us we will never know.

Not that we have any right of course. I hope it was an enjoyable evening for you and that the refreshments were at the very least up to Beeb standard... better preferably.

I meant to add: the only dreadlocks belonged to the charming Benjamin Zephanaiah. What a nice cat, Brummy or not...

Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 8 Nov 13 at 00:48
 BBC QT - Armel Coussine
I also meant to add that I had no idea Lincolnshire was such a seething maelstrom of foreigners.

Enough to strike terror into the heart of a gently-raised Notting Hill boy.
 BBC QT - Roger.
I was chosen to put a question to the panel - edited down to: "The CBI says Britain would be better off remaining in the EU. Do you agree?"

Sadly, my moment of glory was knocked out by time up, so fame still eludes me!

I was wearing a yellow jumper with sleeveless jacket thingy over it. I was, looking from the panel's view , on the centre block, third row, on the left end (aisle) seat. Grey hair - a bit thin on top.

The acoustics in the hall were pretty horrible as it's a sports hall and I did find it quite hard to hear everything which was said. The sound for the audience came from loudspeakers, but of course the panellists had a direct feed to the video recording and were quite clear on the broadcast.

Having got home (a bit over a two hour drive) we watched the broadcast which we had recorded and can confirm that there was no editing at all - what was said is what you got.

My wife was chuffed afterwards as we met Nigel in the car park outside afterwards, by chance, introduced ourselves and she got a kiss from him!

BBC QT - Armel Coussine
>> we met Nigel in the car park outside afterwards

I hoped you would.

If you were sitting on the aisle (to your right) in front of a boy who asked a question or said something, and if your hairstyle is faintly reminiscent of Bernie Ecclestone's, and if your missus is much more svelte than you but with the same hair colour, then I did see you. I think.

Funny but I thought you might be wearing a tie...

:o}
 BBC QT - helicopter
I started to watch last night but gave up and went to bed after the first question on Portsmouth ..... Couldn't be a*sed really to listen to the same old BS.....

Roger , you said you would be wearing UKIP colours ...... my mental image of you was making me think that you were the elderly very florid faced gentleman with glasses in the centre block about four rows back who was wearing a purple jacket to match his face.....
 BBC QT - Roger.
Nope ,I had on UKIP yellow!
 BBC QT - Dutchie
I forgot about question time,was watching no country for old men.I have seen the western before good film.

Switched over to question time after the film,hope you had a good night Roger.The black chap was for me the most sensible on the panel.Let's fight for peace that would make a change.>)
 BBC QT - Roger.
Having seen his dreadlocks at close quarters I have to say they are VILE things at that length!
He seemed amiable enough!
 BBC QT - Alanovich
I had assumed you'd have something purple on, but I narrowed my suspects down to a bloke in a burgundy jacket with black and white striped tie (very natty chap), and your good self with the yellow jumper and sleeveless wossaname on. If I'd have had to have (what tense IS that?) put money on it , I'd have gone with burgundy jacket bloke, but you would have been my second guess.

Hope you enjoyed it. Good on ya for going.

I thought Farage was a bit silly, and totally "owned" (in the modern parlance) by the middle aged bottle honey-blonde lady who banged on about UKIP scaremongering, it seemed that she got the most raucous and enthusiastic approval of the night, which surprised me. It also seemed to me that the burghers of Boston were pretty much in favour of the new comers, if that audience is representative.
Last edited by: Alanović on Fri 8 Nov 13 at 09:43
 BBC QT - zookeeper
i thought Anna Soubry was a total light weight... she used to be a tv presenter on midlands regional news and now shes a minister for the MOD, she used to be quite fit back in the day
but she seems to be morphing into a thatcher clone but without the balls.
rolling her eyes at every sentence Farage came out with dont cut it for me
 BBC QT - Bromptonaut
>> i thought Anna Soubry was a total light weight... she used to be a tv
>> presenter on midlands regional news

That fact that many junior ministers are utter lightweights is no surprise. Of those I've met or corresponded with professionally Baroness (Cathy) Aston was probably among the best; on her brief and an articulate speaker. I won't name/shame others. At least not yet.

Did anyone else hear last night's File on Four about the Work Programme scheme for getting the long term unemployed back into jobs? Programme considered how it is working as those who were first in during 2011 come to end of their two year placing. Unsurprisingly the articulate and healthy older lady had secured a customer care role - in McDonalds. Another interviewee, a more reticent bloke suffering from ulcerative colitis had got nothing from it.

A lot of allegations that the suppliers are gaming the system and will dump/renegotiate curent contracts once the backloaded cuts in their payments bite.

Esther McVey, the responsible Minister, spoke in patronising waffle for pretty much all of her several segments. Like a mildly scouse Thatcher but without the balls (and no that's not an original quote). She was however at least prepared to be interviewed. Far too many of the companies declined and at best gave a bland statement.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 11 Nov 13 at 14:15
 BBC QT - Manatee
>> >> i thought Anna Soubry was a total light weight...

Horribly patronising and all that eye rolling...a liability I thought. The Labour shadow attorney general was smugness personified, but that seems to have been the way with Labour since 1997. Vicky Price I liked more than I expected. Nige wasn't on his best form. Benjamin Zephaniah was level headed, mostly, though the format didn't suit him - not ready with the sound bites.

Not the best QT I have seen.
 BBC QT - Roger.
All the LOCAL Bostonians to whom we talked, before & after were pretty much united in despair at the effect of so many incomers in their town.
We have a very big population of Polish folk in Worksop. By-and-large we have no problem with them - our neighbours across the road are Polish and are a very nice family.
Of course, most Poles share our majority national values, being from a Christian country of not dissimilar characteristics to us.
I do worry, though about a big influx of people with completely different mores and lifestyles.
The likelihood of considerable numbers arriving from some of the most deprived areas of Eastern Europe is a concern, as is the latest country wishing to join the EU - Albania. Even more bizarre, is talk of Turkey joining the EU. Yes - Turkey has a tiny foothold in Europe, but come on - what next is envisioned for the EU super state - Syria?
I can tell you that the vast number of Turks in Germany is resented by many Germans!
Given our membership of the EU, there is nothing to be done about immigration from Europe.
What is more concerning is the level of settlement from outside the EU.
This is where debate is routinely stifled by the "racist" card being played, but I will say it is utter madness to have allowed in multitudes of people from countries whose whole lifestyle and religious ethos is utterly alien to this country.

Last edited by: Roger on Fri 8 Nov 13 at 11:12
 BBC QT - Robin O'Reliant
I appeared on Question Time once. When I say appeared, I was in the audience and the bloke in front of me asked a question. My cousin was watching the broadcast at home somewhere near Bristol and after getting over his surprise immediately set about phoning everyone in the family to get them to switch on.

My 15 minutes of fame, indeed.
 BBC QT - -
Not a particularly good QT, indeed without Farage or someone else with some basic common sense it wouldn't have been worth the time.

Farage's opponents, apart from the poet chap who spoke some sense, were lightweight clones.

Funniest moment was question from the host re Meddlesomes active immigrant recruiting campaign in 2004, could have heard a pin drop....did i see a slight smirk on Nige's clock as that little grenade dropped, how he stifled a guffaw i shall never know.

Two whole rows from rentacrowd cheering the Tory waffler, bussed in presumably and primed by their own warm up crew.
Who does audience vetting on this show, and does one apply for that non job in the Grauniad too.

Last edited by: gordonbennet on Fri 8 Nov 13 at 22:51
 BBC QT - Zero
>> Two whole rows from rentacrowd cheering the Tory waffler, bussed in presumably and primed by
>> their own warm up crew.
>> Who does audience vetting on this show, and does one apply for that non job
>> in the Grauniad too.

Oh right I see. Because Farage appeared like a overbearing interrupting shout them down bully and the audience showed how they felt about him, they were a rent-a-crowd there to wreck his golden moment. Blame the BBC why don't we for brainwashing the crowd. Pity the audience didn't quite manage the sickening sycophantic idol worshipping that goes on here.

Its rather like children worshipping at the windows of willy wonkas chocolate factory.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 8 Nov 13 at 22:57
 BBC QT - -
ho ho ho, predictable as always, your apprentice and mate should be along in a moment, surprised you beat them to it.
 BBC QT - Zero
Your stupid "blame the loaded audience" remarks got exactly what they deserved - Ridicule.

BBC QT - -
>> Your stupid Ridicule.

Resorting to insults again, carry on i'm sure you've got some more bile that needs venting.
 BBC QT - Zero
>> >> Your stupid Ridicule.
>>
>> Resorting to insults again, carry on i'm sure you've got some more bile that needs
>> venting.

Maybe you can include me in your infamous and constant "three cheeks" bile filled rants?
 BBC QT - Armel Coussine
>> Maybe you can include me in your infamous and constant "three cheeks" bile filled rants?

Only by upping the number of cheeks to four, surely?

But I can only agree with the burden of your message Zero. Sweep it all aside! Don't vote! Have a revolution!

Someone like Russell Brand, still only 28, is entitled to think like that. What I don't get is why people don't just tell him to shut up, as they rightly did with me when I was a whippersnapper and paraded half-baked views of that sort.

I think Jeremy Paxman must have been paid extra to give the little twerp such an easy time. Either that or he's got early-onset dementia.
 BBC QT - No FM2R
>>predictable as always

I don't really see how anybody aligning with their own honestly held views can be anything less than predictable; be that Zero or you or me or anyone else.

BBC QT - -
>> I don't really see how anybody aligning with their own honestly held views can be
>> anything less than predictable; be that Zero or you or me or anyone else.

Indeed, as stated, predictable but with bonuses in this case.
 BBC QT - No FM2R
>>Indeed, as stated, predictable but with bonuses in this case.

I don't understand.
 BBC QT - Stuu
Soubry rather left herself open to hypocrisy about Nigel's 'tone' when her party sent out vans telling illegal immigrants to 'Go Home'.
Last edited by: FoR on Fri 8 Nov 13 at 23:11
 BBC QT - Roger.
>> Not a particularly good QT, indeed without Farage or someone else with some basic common
>> sense it wouldn't have been worth the time.
>>
>> Farage's opponents, apart from the poet chap who spoke some sense, were lightweight clones.
>>
>> Funniest moment was question from the host re Meddlesomes active immigrant recruiting campaign in 2004,
>> could have heard a pin drop....did i see a slight smirk on Nige's clock as
>> that little grenade dropped, how he stifled a guffaw i shall never know.
>>
>> Two whole rows from rentacrowd cheering the Tory waffler, bussed in presumably and primed by
>> Who does audience vetting on this show, and does one apply for that non job
>> in the Grauniad too.
>>

There were, apart from us, several UKIP members in the audience.
No signs of buses in the car park!
 BBC QT - Alanovich

Hang on. Isn't the BBC supposed to be a biased, anti-Tory, crypto-Trotskyite left wing organisation? Why on Earth would they allow that then?
 BBC QT - Bromptonaut
>> Of course, most Poles share our majority national values, being from a Christian country of
>> not dissimilar characteristics to us.
>> I do worry, though about a big influx of people with completely different mores and
>> lifestyles.

>> The likelihood of considerable numbers arriving from some of the most deprived areas o
>> What is more concerning is the level of settlement from outside the EU.
>> This is where debate is routinely stifled by the "racist" card being played, but I
>> will say it is utter madness to have allowed in multitudes of people from countries
>> whose whole lifestyle and religious ethos is utterly alien to this country.

Frankly, if you object to new arrivals on this basis, rather than the simple number game, it's pretty difficult to avoid the perception of racism.
 BBC QT - No FM2R
Spot on.

That's not objecting because the UK is full [sic], or because you want disciplined immigration, that is actually showing the true colours which is that they must be people who have a religion or a culture that you "approve of"

Tell me again how UKIP isn't racist? Are you listening Gordon?
 BBC QT - Stuu
>>Tell me again how UKIP isn't racist? Are you listening Gordon? <<

Quite easy actually, the party is more than one member, I dont hold the views Roger does on this particular subject and I dont know many that do although I am sure many Conservative/Labour members think in a similar way - Lib Dems seem to have a particular issue with Jews that never seems to go away. It seems to be a generational thing in most cases. When the BNP died they all went to Labour.

I would invite GB along to come and meet all the fruitcakes and make up his own mind, he has met me afterall, I didnt think I was a foaming at the mouth nationalist.
 BBC QT - Dutchie
I'm not sure If I would be happy living amongst people who cover their faces and wear clothes going back to the dark ages.I like all different nationalities of any colour I take people as they are.That sounds like Iam contradicting myself but if you emigrate to a new country you have got to try to live by their rules.

Are we are getting to the stage when people are scared to speak up and be classed racist? My son in law is Polish intelligent hard working I wish I had halve his brain.Speaks fluent Russian,reasonable German couldn't have wished for a better husband for my daughter.He already had a Master degree in Poland,had to study again in the UK to prove his credentials.

My middle son has been with a girl from New Zealand for four years,she has a good job with a biscuit company..;)

So we are a multicultural family.
 BBC QT - Alanovich

>> The likelihood of considerable numbers arriving from some of the most deprived areas of Eastern
>> Europe is a concern, as is the latest country wishing to join the EU -
>> Albania. Even more bizarre, is talk of Turkey joining the EU.

Roger. They are far more like us than I think you could ever imagine. They want to live in peace and have a chance of a reasonable level of prosperity and comfort. Albanians, Turks, I know a few. You'd be very hard pressed to name their country of origin unless they told you - they dress and behave like us. A Turkish friend (who has a Greek wife, work that one out) has two children, born here, neither of whom even speak Turkish or Greek and would be amazed and horrified if they were thought of as anything but British by anyone. The parents don't promote the cultures of their own country and are 100% British in their outlooks and behaviour - they are entirely secular, and wish only to be allowed to work and contribute to society.

The fella drives an AMG C63 estate and works all the hours God sends, and desrves everything he has. The children are in private school even, they cost this country not a brass farthing and contribute handsomely to state coffers. As does my wife, come to that, from a deprived area of Eatern Europe (one which, funnily enough, only became deprived after Communism fell and the Nationalists took over, started playing the hate card and started shooting eachother).

Why is it a concern? If it's Islam which is tickling your alarm bells, then you can rest easy - most Turks or Albanians who look for life in the West are simply not interested in it. Their countries are manily secular in outlook, in fact I envy some of the secular aspects of the modern Turkey and welcome its example to other nations in the Middle East.
 BBC QT - Duncan
>> A Turkish friend (who has a Greek wife, work that one out) has two children,
>> born here, neither of whom even speak Turkish or Greek and would be amazed and
>> horrified if they were thought of as anything but British by anyone.
>>

Then he isn't Turkish. Why do you refer to him as Turkish?
 BBC QT - Alanovich
He wasn't born here - his children were.
 BBC QT - Roger.
The immigration debate has, for me two strands.
The first is the “We are not able to accept uncontrolled numbers of immigrants from any country, inside or outside the EU.” argument.
Increased numbers of people entering the UK are placing intolerable strains on the country's services – even the pro-immigration lobby admit that.
A visa / green card system, welcoming immigrants whose skills we need, as used by Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the country created by immigrants – the USA – would address the problem.
We of course cannot implement properly this while in the EU.
The second is the “ghetto-isation” - if that a real word -adopted by certain sections of immigrants. These are the ones who refuse to adapt to our ways, as the host country, but want us to change our ways to suit their beliefs.
Islamic “no-go” areas in parts of our cities, the radicalisation of Muslim young people: arranged/forced marriages, female genital mutilation and so on ,come to mind.
As a country we seem to have little or no trouble from most Europeans, Indians, Ugandan Asians, Sikhs, Chinese, West Indians, and so on – or certainly no more than our native born oiks give.
So yes – I do see militant Islam as a problem for us in the UK.
In fact militant religion of any shade has been nothing but bad over the centuries, IMO.
Of course I accept that the majority of Muslims are not terrorists, but as a corollary, most terrorists we have to fear are Muslim.
 BBC QT - No FM2R
This has been nagging at me, so I decided to comment further;

>> The immigration debate has, for me two strands.

>> The first is the “We are not able to accept uncontrolled numbers of immigrants from
>> any country, inside or outside the EU.” argument.

I may or may not agree with this argument, but it is only right or wrong, its not offensive.

We need just a few steps;

The current rules are that you need a visa, the right to remain or a return ticket. We should follow the US practice. Any carrier bringing in someone who does not meet those requirements will be fined and required to remove the person again before they have entered the territory. Where to and how would be the carrier's problem.

And right to enter should be determined before entry, with the right of appeal from elsewhere. There should be no entry to appeal.

Nobody has access to free health care, free education or any other social benefit until either they have contributed to the system for a reasonable period of time, or someone that has is prepared to take responsibility and sign over their own eligibility.

The exception being genuine (rather than the tabloid usage) asylum seekers, where entry into the country should not be permitted until the status has been satisfactorily verified.

>> The second is the “ghetto-isation” ......... These are the ones who refuse to adapt to our
>> ways, as the host country, but want us to change our ways to suit their beliefs.

This is the dangerous one and the one I don't like, not from either side. And I don't believe it is one we should try to legitimize or justify.

I see no reason why anybody moving to the UK should adopt "our" ways. I don't do it when I'm abroad and I see no reason for anybody to do it when going to another country.

I see no reason or decency in judging someone by their belief system, behaviour in their own home or dress code, except where it conflicts with the law of our country.

Everybody in our country should adopt and abide by our laws, even if they conflict with their own "ways" or preferences but should otherwise be allowed to be as they wish. There's a reason its called a "Free Country".

I see no reason why there should not be requirements of someone wishing to become a citizen (get UK a passport) such as knowledge and language, but those requirements should not applicable to someone merely being here.
 BBC QT - Manatee
There's a difference between expecting people to "be like us", and expecting them to to fit in and be part of society, not outside it.

Blunkett is trying to articulate this in relation to Roma in Sheffield.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24909979
 BBC QT - Dutchie
Regarding language I do believe you should learn the language in the country you wish to live in.I believe you live in Brazil,if I lived their I would make sure that I could speak their language in a matter of two years.It would be my own pride to expect me to do this.

I would also follow their culture and their way of live.But that is me everybody is different.I have no problem with anybody's believe system that is your choice.What I disagree with that a minority living in the UK is starting to force their vieuws on the majority of the population.Maybe if we took all the religious believes away we could all live together in peace.

The health care is a long time argument.If people live here and need care they can't be refused in a civilised society.Not on holiday looking for a operation on the cheap somebody has to pay for it.If there is a large influx of low educated people from abroad they will have a tendency to stay together and speak their own language.You can't blame them for doing so but it will create problems for the future.They come here because they are poor no decent healthcare and no hope in their own country.

I think the fear is the Romanian and Bulgarian gypsies coming hear in droves witch UKIP and none of the major parties will mention.
 BBC QT - Haywain
"I think the fear is the Romanian and Bulgarian gypsies coming hear in droves witch UKIP and none of the major parties will mention"

We don't seem to have a clue about how to deal with the gypsies and travellers that we've already got.
 BBC QT - No FM2R
>I believe you live in Brazil,if I lived their I would make sure that I could speak their language in a matter of two years

Não vivo no Brasil mais. Eu falo Português.

Ahora vivo en Chile. Hablo español también.

>> force their vieuws on the majority of the population

It is not possible to "force" your views onto somebody.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 15 Nov 13 at 20:19
 BBC QT - Haywain
Amazingly, today, we hear of more deck chair re-arranging by the Cons - after tampering with house-buying, they are now offering to bribe women into breast-feeding their babies. This, of course, discriminates against those women who are unable to breast-feed and, of course, most men.
 BBC QT - Lygonos
>>most men.

But not all.

Anyhoo, considering we give free nicotine patches worth £20/wk to smokers "trying to quit", a bribe of £200 in shopping vouchers to breast feed a child doesn't make my urine boil, or even become mildly tepid.
 BBC QT - Robin O'Reliant
The £200 "Bribe" is an incentive to take part in a research program as far as I know.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Tue 12 Nov 13 at 20:52
 BBC QT - Harleyman
>> The £200 "Bribe" is an incentive to take part in a research program as far
>> as I know.
>>

I do hope the vouchers are for something worthwhile.

Wouldn't like it to be tit for tat.
 BBC QT - MJW1994
I don't see the problem with giving financial incentives to smokers to quit, it will save the NHS in the long run if they pack it in.

Paying women to breast feed seems a bit odd to me. What is wrong with not breast feeding anyway?
 BBC QT - Lygonos
>> I don't see the problem with giving financial incentives to smokers to quit, it will save the NHS in the long run if they pack it in.

In the long, long run smokers who quit cost UK plc more by not paying duty/VAT on their fags, and drawing their pensions for several years longer than if they kept smoking.

Our three were each breastfed to 15-18 months - I reckon I probably had to make 6 or 7 bottles up in all that time (defrosting and heating 'prepumped' milk) when the gaffer was out - otherwise it required zero effort on my part, and no broken sleep - awesome!
 BBC QT - Bromptonaut
>> Paying women to breast feed seems a bit odd to me. What is wrong with
>> not breast feeding anyway?

Breast or not is very (small p) political territory.

There are, as pointed out by AC and others, advantaged in breast feeding. The breast fascists will tell you that anyone can breast feed and that you're neglecting your kids if you don't.

In reality some women really struggle to breast feed. Whether there's a real problem or just a tough issue with technique the bottle works fine in those circs. No need to get hung up or feel inadequate if that's the case. A baby, particularly the first one, is enough of a bombshell in one's life without a massive knickertwist over feeding.

Mrs B tried but in spite of being able to send a jet of lactate halfway across a room Bromptonette was undoubtedly leaving the table still very hungry. SMA solved the problem in 24 hours. Bonus was that Dad could feed at bedtime and let Mum rest until the early hours feed was called for. Bottles in done in batches then stored in fridge and microwaved to blood temp before serving was just a routine.

That of course relies on clean water and easy sterilisation of bottles/teats etc. The high pressure sales of formula in parts of world where that's not a given were and remain a scandal.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 12 Nov 13 at 22:25
 BBC QT - Armel Coussine
Breast milk is better for babies and passes on their mothers' immunities. The act of breast feeding is psychologically beneficial in establishing and confirming the crucial, central bond between mother and infant.

Nothing is 100% of course: it's quite possible fortunately for a bottle-fed baby raised by people it isn't related to genetically to grow up physically and psychically healthy, just as it is possible for a breast-fed child to grow up mad and sickly.

But what aspect of these generally established, energetically publicized facts do these young women find so hard to understand? Why do you have to give them 200 quid to be normal? Do they think breast feeding will ruin their barbie-doll looks? They couldn't be more wrong.
 BBC QT - Lygonos
My mother smoked 10-20 cigs/day while she was pregnant and bottle-fed me and my siblings.

We were all 9 pounders, almost certainly acts of pure spite on our parts :-)
 BBC QT - Armel Coussine
My mother was a lifelong heavy smoker, and she died young from it. I was a bit small as were all her babies.

Her sister also smoked, but she had huge babies. I believe one of my cousins weighed 11lb at birth or even 12. He's a big chap like his father.
 BBC QT - Armel Coussine
My wife told me something this evening that may interest Lygonos.

When she was having our elder daughter, now '39', in a hospital and with a consultant gynaecologist thought good enough for the monarch herself, she felt discouraged from breast feeding by the nurses. Bottle was quicker and more reliable; and breast apparently has more problems, real or imagined, that occupy nurses' time. When the babies woke at night for example they had to deal with some ghastly saboteur of a mother instead of sticking a bottle in their mouths to shut them up efficiently in a rational manner. What they really wanted, herself said, was to snatch the nippers back and lay them down in rows in their little cots.

Our younger daughter - eight years younger - had an easier birth for one thing (the first was prolonged and troublesome) and for another, times had changed a bit and breast feeding had been promoted by some feminists and most paediatricians.

However: in short, herself blames the medical system for trying to put her off breast feeding, 40 years ago.
Latest Forum Posts