Non-motoring > Max Boyce Miscellaneous
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 24

Max Boyce - No FM2R
I know this is a long shot...

Does anybody have records / CDs or anything of the original Max Boyce albums that would either be prepared to sell them to me or would at least record me a copy?

You will be indulging in Foreign Aid - the education of two Chilenos and an Argentino who really need to know better - drinking partners of mine.
 Max Boyce - Bromptonaut
IIRC I have a tape somewhere including the 'Bottle that Once Held Bitter Ale' skit. But surely it's also on Amazon at a decent price?
 Max Boyce - No FM2R
Of course it is, I don't know why that didn't occur to me. It was specifically "We All Had Doctor's Papers" I was after and of course its there.

Thank you.
 Max Boyce - Crankcase
I was listening to that very track and many others of his on Spotify just a few days ago. I was reminded that Max is one of the handful of comedians we have seen live, probably 25 years ago, and whilst I don't remember the routines in detail I do remember he was by far the funniest and we were literally crying with laughter.

When I saw the title of the thread I was afraid this was another of those death threads, so I'm glad to see he's still with us. There were two lovely little BBC programmes last year about him and Treorchy and all that, but I forgot to record them and can't find them anywhere now. One was called Live At Treorchy Again but the other I've forgotten the name of.

Max Boyce - R.P.
Live at Treorchy on a CD - we may have the vinyl version somewhere....Max is alive and well and should be in Cardiff. He is on iTunes if that's any help, I think his was the first download I ever made from that sit eon '05.

Max Boyce - R.P.
PS

Still on iTunes....! We saw him live a few years ago in Harlech theatre....he is brilliant...He is credited in some quarters with the Wales' win of the Gran Slam in 05 by his "rabble raising" of the home crowd to such a fever pitch that they carried the home team to a win !

Brilliant line in Hymns and Arias

"Wales defeated England in a fast an open game, we sang Cwm Rhondda and Delilah and they sounded both the same. We sympathised with an Englishman whose team was doomed to fail, we gave him that old bottle that once held bitter ale"
 Max Boyce - Roger.
My wife is Welsh, so inevitably we had every one of his LPs and at one time knew pretty much all the words!
"Me Welsh speaking Japanee" ,"I saw the sea and I want to pee" - some of the gems linger yet.
There was and still is, almost a state of conflict in this house, when Wales play England at the best ball game in the world!
Sadly, ALL our LPs are long gone :-(
 Max Boyce - No FM2R
Thanks for the Spotify pointer Crankcase, I'm having a whale of an afternoon helped with a delivery of London Pride and headphones blocking out the rest of the family.
 Max Boyce - Crankcase
Once you start down the Spotify route there is, I fear, no end to it.

There are apparently 80 million tracks, but 20 million remain entirely unplayed by anyone at all. As they don't give a way to find those, you have to stumble about, and I really enjoy finding the most obscure things possible. Random words is always a good one.

There was a website that had a load, but it's not been updated for ages. But he does have some corkers on there. A real challenge to get through some of them.

thebestoftheworstofspotify.blogspot.co.uk/
 Max Boyce - Bromptonaut
>> Of course it is, I don't know why that didn't occur to me. It was
>> specifically "We All Had Doctor's Papers" I was after and of course its there.
>>
>> Thank you.

Sorry, I didn't set out to state obvious.

The intended inference was that if, for whatever reason, his stuff were not available digitally then I'd try and find the cassette.

However I'm not sure which of several stashes of CCs it might be in and I'd then need to work out how to copy or digitise - only cassette player I have is an old walkman that belongs to The Lad. In other words it would be an effort!!!
 Max Boyce - No FM2R
>> I didn't set out to state obvious.

Well, it was worthwhile in that I really hadn't considered Amazon and I appreciated the offer. If you thought I was being sarcastic, I really wasn't, I meant it. Dunno why I didn't think of Amazon, I guess I just assumed it was too old and obscure.

However, I am now going to investigate Spotify. (I'm a bit of an "if I want, I want now" sort of person).
 Max Boyce - Stuartli
Don't forget YouTube! You'll be truly amazed by what you can find on it.

www.youtube.com/results?search_query=max+boyce+%2B+we+all+had+doctors+papers&sm=12

Very quick and easy to download such videos and permanently store on your desktop or laptop using (in my case) GetGo YouTube Downloader (freeware):

www.getgosoft.com/getgoyd/

Download what is required. GetGo YT sorts downloads out alphabetically in a named folder. I called mine YouTube Videos (!). There's also an excellent general GetGo Download Manager.
 Max Boyce - No FM2R
Spotify is not available in Chile!! Hmmph.

However, with a little bit of jiggery pokery I am now happily listening to Live at Treorchy.

Thank you.
 Max Boyce - No FM2R
I tried that Stuart and didn't find it, I'll take your link and try it again. Thanks.
 Max Boyce - Stuartli
Didn't realise that that was an album...:-)

Also see:

www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?_kw=MAX+BOYCE+-+WE+ALL+HAD+DOCTORS+PAPERS+-++CASSETTE

www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/20108267/Classic-Albums-Live-At-Treorchy-We-All-Had-Doctors-Papers/Product.html (Play.com)

www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290846964087&item=290846964087&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466

Max Boyce - Mike Hannon
I've got lots including Live at Treorchy and We All Had Doctors' Papers. I can record but only on a cassette!
I was lucky enough to meet him many years ago. A gent.
 Max Boyce - R.P.
My sister (who does Wedidngs) officiated at his daughter's wedding. As said nice bloke.
 Max Boyce - No FM2R
I met him in Swindon at the Oasis after a show in I guess about 1980.
 Max Boyce - rtj70
I saw him live in my home town quite a long time ago - along with the giant leek. Very funny and family entertainment. I was in my teens so quite a long time ago. Also saw Ken Dodd at some point during a similar timeframe at the same town hall venue.... also very funny/good IMO.

I'll have to look up some more on Max Boyce. I'd forgotten how good he was/is.
 Max Boyce - No FM2R
Been listening to it for ages now......

Great way to spend a Saturday afternoon.
 Max Boyce - R.P.
Shame he didn't inspire Wales today....! ......
 Max Boyce - Crankcase
Ah now, Ken Dodd. He was one of the other comedians we saw live. And to be honest I struggled to find him funny for some reason. And of course he goes on for so blinking long that we left at the interval after about three hours and another nineteen promised.

Shame, but just didn't seem to click for me that night. All his groupies were in hysterics though.

We also saw, many years ago, Phil Cool and I remember him being very funny, better than on tv.

Wonder what happened to him.
 Max Boyce - Stuartli
Ken Dodd is still going strong and has bookings for months ahead, despite his age...:-) Remarkable memory.

Phil Cool was very, very funny and you make a good point about querying what has happened to him. In fact, according to his website, he's retired from live performances:

www.philcool.co.uk/Phil-Cool-live-performances.htm

Link to his Facebook page:

www.philcool.co.uk/Phil-Cool-news.htm

He hails from Chorley, which is only a half-hour drive from where I live.
 Max Boyce - R.P.
My Uncle was a Vicar in Chorley........He was the Chorley Chaplin...! I'll get my cassock.
 Max Boyce - helicopter
Chorley Chaplin :0)

Well SWMBO and I have seen Max live on several occasions and she certainly rated him as the most charismatic of men , one occasion was a few days after England had beaten Wales when Paul Ringer was sent off ( Crikey just googled it - Was it really 33 years ago !) and he came on to some stick from the English audience....his defiant reply was 'You still only beaten fourteen men'...

also seen live......

Billy Connolly, funny but not as funny as he thought he was ...

Jasper Carrott,..... I was in the front row .....he borrowed a pound coin of mine and proceeded to stick it up his nose ....... then went to the interval, returning with what he promised was a washed and clean pound coin... I told him where he could stick it.....and it wasn't up his nose.

Phil Cool,quirky but funny......

Ken Dodd, we staggered out crying with laughter at nearly one in the morning...he battered us into submission.......
Last edited by: helicopter on Mon 11 Nov 13 at 10:37
Latest Forum Posts