Non-motoring > Christmas Tree - First 2013 Sighting? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 20

Christmas Tree - First 2013 Sighting? - Bromptonaut
As the title says, when did you see the first tree for Christmas 2013?

For me yesterday - outside the Grand Connaught Rooms in Gt Queen St London WC2
 Christmas Tree - First 2013 Sighting? - bathtub tom
Adverts, on telly.

The LIDL mini stollen ad made me smile: www.youtube.com/watch?v=16I7Qf6qoAA
 Christmas Tree - First 2013 Sighting? - Dave_
Tuesday morning (5th November). Spotted a 40ft tree on a flatbed truck parked in Washington Services...
 Christmas Tree - First 2013 Sighting? - rtj70
The tree in the local Tesco Extra has been up at least a week... but I didn't think that counts.
 Christmas Tree - First 2013 Sighting? - RichardW
Council were errecting one in the town up the road this week (before 7am!!). Edinburgh aiport had them up (with lights) when I was picking up SWMBO on Thursday.
 Christmas Tree - First 2013 Sighting? - The Nut
Not a tree but a flat above a shop in Southport had decorations and lights in the windows last night.
 Christmas Tree - First 2013 Sighting? - Dave_
>> a flat above a shop in Southport had decorations and lights in the windows last night.

That beats my record sighting by at least a fortnight. There are a handful of houses on the western section of the Leicester ring road where the decorations are up more than a week before the end of November every year.
 Christmas Tree - First 2013 Sighting? - Ted

There were a few in the windows of hotels along the Golden Mile this evening. They were a lot better than the official hallucinations......which were kerap !

SiL and daughter took us and the GKs in the Voyager...nice ride. Chish and Fips at Taylors, just by the airport.

Ted
 Christmas Tree - First 2013 Sighting? - Cliff Pope
Ours lives all the year round in a large pot outside, and comes inside for Christmas.
 Christmas Tree - First 2013 Sighting? - helicopter
outside the Grand Connaught Rooms in Gt Queen St London WC2......

Bromptonaut ..... how many morning suited gents did you spot as well.......

www.ugle.org.uk/freemasons-hall
>> outside the Grand Connaught Rooms in Gt Queen St London WC2......
>>
>> Bromptonaut ..... how many morning suited gents did you spot as well.......
>>
>>
>>
>> www.ugle.org.uk/freemasons-hall

There must have been something going on a couple of weeks ago as there were many blokes in such attire arriving.

Although I've spent practically my entire working life in and Hoborn/Lincoln's Inn I've never visited the Freemason's Hall. It's one of many fascinating buildings in that part of London. I got a tour round the former Pru HQ in Holborn a couple of years ago - it's now a conference venue. Same architect as the Natural History Museum - and it shows.

The Law Courts have some fascinating corners as well, though a lot of it is now closed off behind security doors.

The windows of the regalia stores over the road are an interesting diversion as well. Somewhere in the house here is Masonic Regalia belonging to my late great Uncle who was a Member of a Lodge in Rochdale in forties/fifties. Is there an museum/archive that might be interested in them?
 Christmas Tree - First 2013 Sighting? - No FM2R
His Lodge almost certainly would be interested. I can get you contact numbers if you like. E-Mail me.
Thanks for that offer Mark. I'll need to dig the stuff out; another task for after I finish work at end of month.
 Christmas Tree - First 2013 Sighting? - No FM2R
You're welcome.

Just let me know as, when and if. You should probably find some books, one or more certificates and various other items.

If you wish to send me photographs I can probably identify them for you if you're interested.
Bromptonaut - Rochdale falls in East Lancs province so they would be able to help you make contact with the secretary of your Uncles old lodge if you are interested . You need to get the Lodge name and number and write to the address on this link:-

www.pglel.co.uk/PGL_Pages/bridge_street.asp

Old regalia may not be of particular interest on its own but if you have any items specific to his lodge such as medals or old Lodge Summonses from the fifties I am sure that the secretary would be interested to hear from you.

Guided tours of Freemasons Hall are available and very interesting indeed even to non masons. I recommend a visit and perhaps even consider joining up in your retirement ......
 Christmas Tree - First 2013 Sighting? - Ateca chris
This morning at 7.30 while delivering news papers on the outskirts of Plymouth on a housing est, the full shabang flashing lights all over front of house, lit up Santa and Reindeers in the front gardens, windows the works. Wonder if their with a power company who hasn't put their prices up yet
 Christmas Tree - First 2013 Sighting? - bathtub tom
>> His Lodge almost certainly would be interested. I can get you contact numbers if you
>> like. E-Mail me.

Did that with my late FIL's stuff. A representative of the local lodge turned up and drooled over it (FIL had been something of a bigwig in it I gather). Promised it would go in a display case and SWMBO and sisters would be invited to see it - never heard another word.

I'll leave to your imagination my opinion of what happened to it.
....Promised it would go in a display case and SWMBO and sisters would be invited to see it - never heard another word......

I really am very surprised to hear it.... you should not have to chase it but I would write to his Lodge secretary and ask what happened to it ......

Christmas Tree - First 2013 Sighting? - Roger.
Flogged.
 Christmas Tree - First 2013 Sighting? - Roger.
Masonic regalia can make good money at (proper, not eBay) ) auctions.
Might be worth a punt.
Yes indeed Roger - but it very much depends what it is.

For instance our members recently spotted on Ebay and bought back one of our own Lodge Founders medals ( solid silver ) which had passed through many hands since it disappeared fifty years or so ago .......

Latest Forum Posts