Non-motoring > France vs. Paying for Sex Miscellaneous
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 17

France vs. Paying for Sex - No FM2R
This is interesting....

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24852978

I don't really agree with the goal or the motivation. However the interesting point is that they are tackling demand rather than the more frequent approach of criminalising supply.

That ought to be effective and the side effects are quite different to the side effects resulting from tackling supply.

If it has a desirable impact [to the lawmakers] I wonder if the approach will be used elsewhere - drugs for example.
 France vs. Paying for Sex - Manatee
Impossible to get rid of it surely. And criminalising the user didn't work with drugs.

I don't care about prostitution between consenting adults and I'm sure the French don't. They want to get rid of the criminal pimping, slavery and trafficking. The way to do that must be to legalise and regulate it (and tax it).

Same with drugs. They should be freely available in Boots. At least users would know what they were getting.

Needs to be thought about in the detail but that's the idea I'd start with.
>> The way to do that must be to legalise and regulate it (and tax it).

I agree, but at least they've made step in the right direction.

>>And criminalising the user didn't work with drugs

Actually "personal use" is frequently a defence and/or mitigation.

I believe drugs should managed as cigarettes are. But if one insists upon attacking the trade then one should target the user.

Targeting the supplier merely increases the cost to the user and benefits nobody other than the supplier and his profits.
 France vs. Paying for Sex - RattleandSmoke
I am not sure about drug regulation. As for prostitutes if its all legally managed and done safely then so be bit.

The drug issue is a very complicated one, clearly the system we have now is not working and the supply chain needs to be cleaned up. However I don't think we should ever get to the point where crac cocaine or heroin is sold under the counter in boots.

Thankfully none of my friends really ever touched drugs, there is enough going on to do without the need for it, apart from alcohol (but that is another debate!!). We do all like to get merry at the weekends but never cause any trouble or anti social behaviour etc.

The only friend I know that did do drugs was hooked on cannabis and that made him very paranoid. I personally have no issue with people growing their own stuff though and admit to taking myself a couple of times but it does nothing for me.

France vs. Paying for Sex - Cliff Pope
>>. However I don't think
>> we should ever get to the point where crac cocaine or heroin is sold under
>> the counter in boots.

>>

I think Manatee was suggesting that it should be sold over the counter.

The only thing I have ever bought under the counter at Boots was a jar of Cremolia handcream. All I could see on the open shelves were jars of expensive products. When I asked whether they still sold Cremolia, the assistant reluctantly found a jar, literally under the counter.
 France vs. Paying for Sex - Armel Coussine
>> Thankfully none of my friends really ever touched drugs, there is enough going on to do without the need for it, apart from alcohol (but that is another debate!!).

I wouldn't want to scold you Sheikha, but I know that you, and I assume all these clean-living friends of yours (apart from the one weed didn't agree with, who presumably didn't commit any murders or stabbings in the grip of his/her 'paranoia') make regular, slightly excessive use of alcohol, statistically - anyway in terms of gross numbers - the most dangerous drug in terms of life-threatening results to the user and those around him.

I've taken lots of drugs in my time (although of course I don't advocate that anyone should try this at home), and the worst, nastiest, most dangerous things I've done in my adult life have been done when drunk. Druggers in my experience may be boring and annoying but are pretty harmless. People upset about drugs have friends/relations who have harmed themselves with foolish drug use, or are thinking of nasty gangster smack and crack dealers in deprived housing estates.

Get it right young man. You are virtuous and owe it to yourself to be smart.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 11 Nov 13 at 17:45
 France vs. Paying for Sex - Bromptonaut
Manatee hits nail on head.

Danger of the approach being considered is that it drives the profession further into shady areas without affecting trafficking etc.

Penalties for kerb crawling and street prostitution are a different issue and I can see, given their effect on an area, why prosecuting user might have some effect.

Regulated and licensed brothels seems to be way to go though.
 France vs. Paying for Sex - Dutchie
Prostitution is legal in the Netherlands so is soft drug use.What the French government is trying to achieve with these rules is beyond me.

France vs. Paying for Sex - CGNorwich
Prostitution is legal in the Netherlands

And so it is in the UK. Soliciting, brothel keeping and pimping are however illegal.
 France vs. Paying for Sex - Slidingpillar
Brothels were legal in France until 13th April 1946.
 France vs. Paying for Sex - Dutchie
Does it really matter if brothels are legal or not? If people want to have sex and prepare to pay for it who is going to stop it.People can work from home put a advertisement in paper and bob is your uncle.Arn't the French known for having affairs exspecially politicians sounds all a bit hyprocritical to me stopping prostitution.
 France vs. Paying for Sex - Roger.
Providing prostitution is between CONSENTING adults = no problem.
Where the provider is coerced = a BIG, BIG, problem.
How to tell the difference = HUGE problem.

No easy answers and I don't have one.
 France vs. Paying for Sex - Mike Hannon
Is France the only country in the world where prostitutes advertising their services in the press - which is not uncommon - have to include their government business registration (Siret) numbers?
 France vs. Paying for Sex - Crankcase
If anyone cares. there's a very interesting study to be made about prostitution in Berlin in the twenties. Basically, it was tolerated but "illegal", so you weren't allowed to advertise explicitly.

That meant there had to be codes to tell prospective punters what the arrangement would be, and rather delightfully this was achieved by the use of knee length coloured patent leather boots.

So as long as you were in the right part of town, a girl wearing bright scarlet boots meant she would engage in one particular activity, whilst bright green meant another, and so forth. There were about ten colours.

No, I'm not going to list the full activities/colour code here, but I would say that if a time machine drops you there, don't pick the girls wearing gold boots unless you are of a particularly broad mind.

Just a little historical byway to amuse you briefly, do carry on.

France vs. Paying for Sex - Armel Coussine
The French are practical about such matters. We get our knickers in a bit of a twist about them being famously hypocritical.

Of course these activities go on more or less freely everywhere. If there's a market then there's a trade. Dope, prostitution, gay culture... Ask a policeman. Most of them know when it's expedient to turn a blind eye.
 France vs. Paying for Sex - WillDeBeest
Disappointing thread. I took the title to mean that NoFM had won a few pesos on the LoterĂ­a and was looking for advice on how to spend them.
What, buy France or pay for sex? Pretty much screwed either way.
 France vs. Paying for Sex - MJW1994
We had a french au pair when we were little, would be fun if she came back now. She could improve my french.
Latest Forum Posts