Union Flag mistake - Lygonos
I'm not a flag-waving eejit, but even I know this is nae right:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-24906040
 Union Flag mistake - zookeeper
good job you flagged that up
 Union Flag mistake - PeterS
Whoever didn't notice that before they put it up should be hung out to dry IMO
 Union Flag mistake - Meldrew
At least it wasn't upside down, which is a recognised distress signal ISTR.
 Union Flag mistake - Zero
>> At least it wasn't upside down, which is a recognised distress signal ISTR.

Except few people know that, so you'll never get rescued.
people get in a right flap.
 Union Flag mistake - Duncan
What will the flag look like when the Jocks leave next year?
they are planning not to have a flag, but a cone instead.

A wee glimpse of Glasgow Cultural Heritage,

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-24907190

"The cone on Wellington's head is an iconic part of Glasgow's heritage, and means far more to the people of Glasgow and to visitors than Wellington himself ever has.

"Raising the statue will, in any case, only result in people injuring themselves attempting to put the cone on anyway: does anyone really think that a raised plinth will deter drunk Glaswegians?"
 Union Flag mistake - Mapmaker
They cannot even get their apology right.

A council statement said: "This was clearly a mistake and we apologise. The misprinted flag will be replaced."

No, it's not misprinted, it's been cut from a roll and they've cut the roll in the wrong place. Made in China, no doubt.
 Union Flag mistake - Focusless
>> No, it's not misprinted, it's been cut from a roll and they've cut the roll
>> in the wrong place.

Don't think so? The vertical red bar is only in the middle of the correct flag; no red at the edges.
 Union Flag mistake - Bromptonaut
>> Don't think so? The vertical red bar is only in the middle of the correct
>> flag; no red at the edges.

I thought same. If it was a roll it would be cut where the arms the Saltire and superimposed Irish Cross meet at the corners. Doesn't look as if this flag has any such conjunction.

Lowest bid to supply and fly?

EDIT - It's not the flag of another Commonwealth country is it? Last week they were flying them all along Horseguards Road. Don't recall that one but there's an awful lot of variations.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 12 Nov 13 at 10:00
 Union Flag mistake - zookeeper
which bit of the union flag is the welsh portion?
the pole.
>> which bit of the union flag is the welsh portion?

There's a small red dragon right in the middle. Can't you see it?
>> which bit of the union flag is the welsh portion?

Wales is a part of the Kingdom of England - since 1282. So represented by the Cross of St George.

(Yes, I think I was wrong about the printing error. Sorry.)
 Union Flag mistake - rtj70
I can't see how it's mis-cut even though that is what the council says. And any idiot should know it was wrong including the contractor asked to put it up surely.

How the manufacturer got it wrong - incorrectly printed - I have no idea.

Not's not as insulting as filming a film with actors/extras in SS uniforms on Remembrance Sunday though.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24909889
 Union Flag mistake - No FM2R
What a load of old balls.

The flag was wrong, its being changed. No more or less dumb than putting yellow lines in the wrong place.

They are making a film involving SS Uniforms. Its filmed on Remembrance Sunday. So what? How does it become more or less offensive because its filmed on Remembrance Sunday? Did everybody make sure they didn't watch any war films on that day, ever? etc. etc.

I like the flag being right and I respect and support Remembrance Sunday, but really talk about over-reaction.

Just a load of tabloid stuff and nonsense pulling a large bandwagon behind it.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 12 Nov 13 at 12:09
 Union Flag mistake - Roger.
Oh heck, No FM2R - I agree with you, again.
It has to be total rubbish being uttered by a member of the "professionally offended" clique.
Last edited by: Roger on Tue 12 Nov 13 at 12:12
 Union Flag mistake - Slidingpillar
A proper flag is not printed either, but sewn together out of bits of red, white, and blue material.

Printed flags are a recent and cheap in inovation and are nearly always made from thin, hence light material and neither last, nor fly right. Also, a heck of a lot of printed union flags don't have the correct spacing on the cross elements and are thus a pastiche, not the real thing at all.
>>Not's not as insulting as filming a film with actors/extras in SS uniforms on Remembrance Sunday though.

Join the real world. Not even remotely insulting.
 Union Flag mistake - Armel Coussine
No, it's not 'insulting'. It's even funny in a way. But someone, some petty official or handyman dogsbody, put the flag up knowing it wasn't a proper flag. Whether they deserve sacking or some lesser sanction I wouldn't know... but their bosses do.
 Union Flag mistake - Slidingpillar
It is possible the person who put the 'flag' up knew what it was, but had no real flags and decided it was better than nothing. Whether it was the right decision is another matter.

But of course, that doesn't make as good a story, so journalists won't have considered this.
 Union Flag mistake - Ted

I think it would look a lot better without those red diagonals and all that blue.
Sort of like a red cross on a white background !

Ted
>> Not's not as insulting as filming a film with actors/extras in SS uniforms on Remembrance
>> Sunday though.
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24909889

I struggle to se any insult. There's a film being made and actors, set crew etc were available on that day. Maybe the weather helped too?

OTOH the bloke in a Cambridge supermarket in SS uniform promoting his Hitler fantasy website and writing was verging on offensive. I'd sort of accept it if he was in fancy dress for Haloween but reports suggest he went beyond that.
 Union Flag mistake - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>> OTOH the bloke in a Cambridge supermarket in SS uniform promoting his Hitler fantasy website and writing was verging on offensive. I'd sort of accept it if he was in
>> fancy dress for Haloween but reports suggest he went beyond that.
>>

TBH I don't even find that any more than mildly amusing. A bit of a nutcase who'll only impress the other nutcases out there.

Union Flag mistake - Dutchie
Embarrassing isn't it makes you think if there is any pride in a flag.
Latest Forum Posts