Non-motoring > john Mc cririck loses Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zookeeper Replies: 55

john Mc cririck loses - zookeeper
www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24355098

silly old sod
 john Mc cririck loses - Stuartli
Waste of money from the start.
 john Mc cririck loses - Armel Coussine
Dodgy lot, Harrovians. Or so it is said.

McCririck's new picture is strangely chaste and clean looking by his usual standards though. Only the huge disgusting Jimmy Savile-style stogie remains to suggest the botttomless depths of hideous dishevelled ginger depravity that usually emanate from his photos in toxic waves... perhaps I'm just feeling a bit squeamish this evening. And some would say that it's all very well for me to talk but...
 john Mc cririck loses - Meldrew
His costs won't be that high, I am guessing, as it was a tribunal and not a court case as such, although I see there were QCs involved. Anyone who refers to his wife, in public, as The Booby is a very thoughtless rude person
 john Mc cririck loses - legacylad
He's a cretinish oaf, to put it mildly. After his recent 'celebrity' misadventures he must have had a very inflated opinion of himself to think he had any chance of winning the case.
 john Mc cririck loses - Zero
He was sacked because he is an obnoxious stupid old fool. He assumed he could get his job back by claiming one out four was illegal.
 john Mc cririck loses - VxFan
>> His costs won't be that high,

www.theguardian.com/media/2013/nov/13/john-mcririck-loses-age-discrimination-case

"McCririck has claimed his Primrose Hill home would be at risk if he lost the case but the cost of defeat is limited by the fact that his solicitor was acting on a no-win, no-fee basis. Nor is he likely to have to pay the expenses incurred by Channel 4 or IMG, since cost orders are rare in tribunal cases. The cost of his employing Jennifer Eady QC to present his case is likely to prove substantial, however."

I read elsewhere that his legal bill will run to six figures
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 14 Nov 13 at 10:14
 john Mc cririck loses - bathtub tom
>>His costs won't be that high, I am guessing, as it was a tribunal and not a court case

I'm aware of an industrial tribunal that was abandoned because the complainant was threatened with the costs of the defendant. Totally out of all proportion compared the sum of the complaint. It appeared to be the defendant 'waving a big stick'.
>> Anyone who refers to his wife, in public, as The Booby is a very thoughtless rude person

42 yrs of marriage to her, so must be doing something right.

tinyurl.com/nb5bmo4 - Daily Wail
 john Mc cririck loses - Haywain
"silly old sod"

In common with so many others who nobody seems to like, one wonders how they managed to survive on t.v. for so long.
 john Mc cririck loses - Fenlander
>>>In common with so many others who nobody seems to like, one wonders how they managed to survive on t.v. for so long.

Because he was part of a team, a mix of characters, that have brought some of the best racing coverage to TV in my lifetime.

The new C4 setup is so so bland... well apart from the brief distraction of Emma Spencer.

i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/12/29/article-2254658-16B03E50000005DC-651_634x750.jpg
>> >>>In common with so many others who nobody seems to like, one wonders how they
>> managed to survive on t.v. for so long.
>>
>> Because he was part of a team, a mix of characters, that have brought some
>> of the best racing coverage to TV in my lifetime.

So good that viewer numbers had been steadily falling....
Couldn't stand him with is tic-tac arm waving routine, but thought he was brilliant in Celebrity Big Brother and Celebrity Wife Swap. What a wind up merchant.
>> Couldn't stand him with is tic-tac arm waving routine, but thought he was brilliant in
>> Celebrity Big Brother and Celebrity Wife Swap. What a wind up merchant.

Except he was not winding anyone up, that was the real person.
>>>So good that viewer numbers had been steadily falling....

Guess that's a natural trend... racing on the TV Saturday afternoons is likely to be a declining interest.

Trust me as someone who knows horses with a lifetime family interest in racing that team's coverage was very good.

How it apeared to the beer swilling betting man I have no idea.
 john Mc cririck loses - Bromptonaut
No interest whatever in horses beyond the odd work sweepstake. Consequently I've never watched McCririck in action other than briefly while Channel surfing.

My impression is of somebody who knew his stuff about the horses and betting odds but presnted a very eccentric persona. One commentator last night said it wasn't McCririck that was too old, just his act.

The full judgement is here:

www.judiciary.gov.uk/media/judgments/2013/mcririck-channel-4-judgment

I've not read it but reports suggest the tribunal were pretty unimpressed with those managing JMcC. If he'd grounded his claim on wrongful dismissal rather than age discrim he might well have won.

I suspect he's too late now to go back by that route for another go at biting the cherry.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 14 Nov 13 at 10:28
>>>>>>>So good that viewer numbers had been steadily falling....

Viewing figures are off my radar but I've just googled and see a Guardian report....

"Disappointing audiences have been a persistent theme since Channel 4 took on exclusive coverage of horse racing on 1 January and switched producers from Highflyer to IMG."

So the new team isn't really cutting it in that respect.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 14 Nov 13 at 10:42
 john Mc cririck loses - Cliff Pope
These sleb presenters always over-reach themselves in the end. The tediously self-important Alan Tichmarsh has just been dropped.
Even Saint David Attenborough is showing signs of late onset megalomania.
 john Mc cririck loses - Haywain
"These sleb presenters always over-reach themselves in the end."

Wogan, Brucie …….. the list goes on.
 john Mc cririck loses - Stuartli
Sir Terry (to me at least) is still brilliant, but the subject of this thread's theme, despite knowing his brief, had an attitude towards the fairer sex that was both boorish and quite out of place on television or other media outlet.
>> the fairer sex
>>

That's a quaint old expression. Do we still refer to women like that? Or should I say "the ladies" ?
:)

>> >> the fairer sex
>> >>
>>
>>
>> That's a quaint old expression. Do we still refer to women like that? Or should
>> I say "the ladies" ?
>> :)

Or in essex speak, "he dissed the tarts"
 john Mc cririck loses - WillDeBeest
Attitude...fairer sex...out of place...

}( :---0

The little ladies are allowed to vote and everything now, Stuart.
 john Mc cririck loses - Manatee
>>the subject of this thread's
>> theme, despite knowing his brief, had an attitude towards the fairer sex that was both
>> boorish and quite out of place on television or other media outlet.

That is a persona.

Racing Post - goo.gl/7B6rhf

McCririck, who commonly referred to his Channel 4 Racing co-presenter Tanya Stevenson as 'The Female', defended his habit of bestowing apparently derogatory nicknames on fellow presenters.

"I told everyone if you want me to stop doing it I will," he said. "It's a very public schoolboy thing, it's childish, it's immature, but it lightens up the programme."

I don't really follow racing, but it was always clear to me that it was schoolboy humour. He is clearly an expert. I dislike smooth presenters who are just that.

I used to go to an annual racing event back in the 90s where McCririck always did a lunchtime spot with Francome. Very funny. That said not all racing fans liked him either, but I suppose that applies to anyone who isn't completely anodyne.
 john Mc cririck loses - WillDeBeest
Persona or personality, that is what he offers his employer to offer to its customers, the viewers and advertisers. Wouldn't matter to my employer how nice I might be at home, if at work I put on an act that offended and alienated my colleagues and customers; they'd show me the door and quite right too.
 john Mc cririck loses - R.P.
He was on the Today programme this morning, he started off well enough but soon reverted to his usual self. Not a fan of horse racing really, but was aware of him....
Out of his time, thought he was a National Treasure - wonder to myself occasionally why a lot of these "personalties" carry on into their dotage. Wogan, Forsyth, Tarbuck, the Dimblebey brothers etc etc......I remember the fuss that Jimmy Young kicked up when he was booted off Radio 2.......time to move on...

Is it just me or doesn't it strike you as rather strange...
Last edited by: R.P. on Thu 14 Nov 13 at 18:32
 john Mc cririck loses - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>> Is it just me or doesn't it strike you as rather strange...
>>

Being a TV personality becomes an ego trip and they can't accept they're has beens. I actually quite like McCririck as a pundit, he was entertaining and certainly knew his stuff. He was no friend of the bookies either.

He liked to play the anti-hero hence the deliberately provocative statements, rather Clarksonesque.

>>
>> Being a TV personality becomes an ego trip and they can't accept they're has beens.

They always leave them wanting less.
>> he was entertaining and certainly knew his stuff. He was no friend of the bookies either.

Both true I think - his theme was to stick up for the punters. Maybe somebody thought that would limit the advertising support from the bookies, unlikely I think but would be a poor show if true.

From McCriricks point of view, I can see why he is peed off. C4 now has a monopoly of televised racing if I have understood reports correctly and he has nowhere else to go. By the same token I suppose it is the only opportunity for others to have a go.

Whether you call it a persona or an act, he insists that he had not been asked to modify it over 29 years and that he had offered to do so.

I hope somebody takes over the tic tac, I liked that.
 john Mc cririck loses - Harleyman
I remember the fuss that Jimmy Young kicked up when he was
>> booted off Radio 2.......

So do I, and at the time I was pleased to see Jeremy Vine replace him. Not any more, the man irks me to the extent that I not only switch off when Ken Bruce hands over, but also for the increasingly lengthy slot at 11.30 when Vine witters on about what he's going to annoy us with.

Progress does not always bring improvement.
The trouble is these people come to believe they are owed their jobs as a right, no matter how dated they become. About time the Beeb put Wrighty out to grass too, his habit of talking over records has me swearing at the radio.
I used to listen to Vine in between jobs os to speak - I can't abide him any more. He makes some stupid and ill-informed statements on that phone in of his. I find myself drawn to Radio 4 more and more these days, why on the way home tonight was a programme about Squirrel Pox.....you couldn't make it up !!
Over the past month I've also become a Radio 4 man, the station has some very interesting programs. The Kennedy letters this week have been very informative and Desert Island Discs is now a Not Miss.

The only one on daytime R2 I like listening to is Ken Bruce, he's head and shoulders above everyone else.
 john Mc cririck loses - Hacko
McCririck is an actor whose beligerent performance became outdated. Ego has cost him dearly, financially and emotionally. Can't summon up much sympathy for him, especially as many years ago when I was shaking a charity tin at an Epsom race meeting, he slouched past, hands in pockets and looking the other way. I lifted the tin towards him and he said grumpily:"I don't carry money."
 john Mc cririck loses - sooty123
Can't summon up much sympathy for him, especially as many years ago when
>> I was shaking a charity tin at an Epsom race meeting, he slouched past, hands
>> in pockets and looking the other way. I lifted the tin towards him and he
>> said grumpily:"I don't carry money."
>>

Bit harsh many people don't like charity tins waved at them when they walk by.
 john Mc cririck loses - CGNorwich
It is actually against the law to shake a charity collection tin. Collectors should also remain stationary.
>> It is actually against the law to shake a charity collection tin. Collectors should also
>> remain stationary.

like those highly trained dogs outside shops -

www.flickr.com/photos/dbullock/2958949896/
 john Mc cririck loses - Crankcase
Dogs? Pah. I was mentally scarred for life after my first encounter outside the Post Office at the age of six with one of those little blind boys with a hole in their heads.

You don't see them anymore. As it were.
 john Mc cririck loses - neiltoo
Or the little girl with callipers on her legs.

8o(
 john Mc cririck loses - Old Navy
I remember from about 60 years ago a stuffed guide dog in a glass case with collection box on one of the platforms of Wimbledon station.
>> I remember from about 60 years ago a stuffed guide dog in a glass case
>> with collection box on one of the platforms of Wimbledon station.

Oh yes "Laddie" remember him well.

Wimbledon Station was the haunt of a 'Railway Collection Dog'. Airedale Terrier "Laddie" was born in September 1948 and started work on Wimbledon Station in 1949, collecting donations on behalf of the Southern Railwaymen's Homes at Woking, via a box strapped to his back. He retired in 1956 having collected over £5,000 and spent the rest of his days with the residents at the Home. On his death in 1960 he was stuffed and returned to Wimbledon Station. He continued to collect for the Homes, in a glass case situated on Platform 5, until 1990 when he retired once more and became part of the National Railway Collection.
Cant remember where it was, may have been Cromer, but I recently saw one of those WW2 mines (complete with horns) that were always propped up against the entrance to the pier, with a coin slit and the plaque "for sailors at sea"

Thought they had all gone.
 john Mc cririck loses - Pat
>> "for sailors at sea"
<<

I've seen those but always wondered where else sailors would be?

Pat
>>
>> I've seen those but always wondered where else sailors would be?
>>
>> Pat
>>

There are certain types of bars...
Ah yes Robin O, a few of us were parked up overnight on Flathouse Quay in Portsmouth and walked 'up town' to look for something to eat.

We found a dingy looking pub but were hungry and decided to chance it.

It must have been one of those bars as all I'm prepared to say is a good night was had by all!

Good job we were rained off from loading in the morning.

Pat

john Mc cririck loses - Duncan
>> Ah yes Robin O, a few of us were parked up overnight on Flathouse Quay
>> in Portsmouth and walked 'up town' to look for something to eat.
>>
>> We found a dingy looking pub but were hungry and decided to chance it.
>>

Next time, Zero recommends this one:-

tinyurl.com/pbmtwzr

quite near the Docks, good food and drink, all at reasonable prices.
Duncan, this was when weatherspoons was still a twinkle in it's mothers eye, when pubs were all spit and sawdust and when potatoes still came in bags!

...and lorry drivers still had a sense of humour and talked to each other.

Pat
>> >>
>> >> I've seen those but always wondered where else sailors would be?
>> >>
>> >> Pat
>> >>
>>
>> There are certain types of bars...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RvhAOymTuM
 john Mc cririck loses - Dutchie
He is kind of eccentrix in his behaviour but he had every right to fight for his job.He was never going to win was he?

How many female newsreaders or weather girls are there over fifty.It's all about the looks the way of the world.
 john Mc cririck loses - Meldrew
McCririck has lost but is no loss, IMO
:)

Pat
 john Mc cririck loses - CGNorwich
Not sure there is one at Cromer but there is certainly one at Mundesley, just down the coast.
 john Mc cririck loses - Dutchie
When I used to go to sea with my old man I always remember Cromer.Leaving the Humber first compass course was for Cromer then follow the British coast line for the channel.
 john Mc cririck loses - Roger.
I find horse racing unutterably dull, whoever is presenting it.
On the few occasions I have seen him on TV, John McC. struck me, notwithstanding his obvious education, as a Oik of the first water.
 john Mc cririck loses - Alanovich
>> >> I remember from about 60 years ago a stuffed guide dog in a glass
>> case
>> >> with collection box on one of the platforms of Wimbledon station.
>>
>> Oh yes "Laddie" remember him well.

Station Jim is still at Slough station.

tinyurl.com/qd8t2vn
Latest Forum Posts