Non-motoring > Holiday reading help Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 11

Holiday reading help - legacylad
I'm away for a few days late Nov and wondered if anyone can remember the title of a book, whose subject was the supposition that Germany won the last war, and how life then became in Britain.
It would make a change to my normal John Connolly & assorted travel books.
 Holiday reading help - Zero
SS GB by Len Deighton?
 Holiday reading help - sherlock47
Careful what you buy - the Border police may see at it as terrorist related and sieze it, (and you) on your return to the UK.

Our UKIP representatives may even say it has already happened
Last edited by: sherlock1947 on Thu 14 Nov 13 at 09:05
 Holiday reading help - Meldrew
Or www.amazon.co.uk/If-Britain-Had-Fallen-Occupation/dp/1848326475
 Holiday reading help - rtj70
Fatherland by Robert Harris?
 Holiday reading help - Zero
Fatherland is about life in Germany after they won't he war.
 Holiday reading help - Cliff Pope
Dominion, by C J Sansom

A good read, but spoiled by his over-use of the word "weary", and rather pedestrian writing in the J K Rowling style.
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Thu 14 Nov 13 at 11:56
 Holiday reading help - R.P.
I read that recently.....one chronological error in it, but I am an anorak. Very good read but as Cliff says and a high word count as well.....dragged a bit I thought. SS GB is a damned good read as is All Our Tomorrows...Ted Allbeury....
 Holiday reading help - Roger.
I can often read a fiction book, such as a Jack Reacher story, or a Robert B . Parker book, in two hours or a touch more, so find that buying books can be expensive.
I recently did buy the latest hardback by Julian Stockwin in his "Kydd" sea saga (Caribee) as I have every one in the series. By iron self-control and strict rationing of reading time I managed to make it last three days.
My Kindle & the local public library are godsends to me.
 Holiday reading help - Roger.
Sansom is good, but a bit of slog.
Interesting historical stuff though. Just read one of his on my Kindle, in a couple of days.
 Holiday reading help - legacylad
Gracias Zero, that's the one. Fatherland also sounds good, so will see if in stock at my local library after work. If not, will have to purchase.
Taking my laptop as I can re watch all 12 episodes of Early Doors on ewe tube. I need to do something if detoxing for a few days!
 Holiday reading help - R.P.
Fatherland is one of the best books I've read in this genre.....widescreen/HD stuff, beautifully rendered.......
Latest Forum Posts