Non-motoring > Advice on 2 strokes Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 27

Advice on 2 strokes - Rudedog
I'm just venturing into the world of 2 stroke powered work tools and I just wondered if all 2 stroke oil is the same? should I buy the branded stuff from the tools manufacture, I can't seem to see any specs on it unlike car engine oil, if not is there a good make to go for.
 Advice on 2 strokes - Armel Coussine
TFM will give the proportions, and you can buy a container of the appropriate oil and mix it yourself. The proportions aren't that critical, you need enough to prevent the engine from seizing and not so much as to coke up the ports...

In African towns where petrol is sold at the roadside by traders out of carboys, Winchester jars and two-litre and one-litre bottles, you could get ready-mixed 2-stroke juice for your hired belt-driven CVT moped, damn things...
 Advice on 2 strokes - bathtub tom
I remember, back in the '60s, being very much into 2Ts.

There were various, much lauded, oils that proclaimed to have beneficial qualities at reduced ratios. I used R40, it smelt wonderful!

Stick to the manufacturer's recommendation and you can't go far wrong.
Thanks, I'm buying a chainsaw second-hand so I'll see if there is an online manual somewhere to download.
 Advice on 2 strokes - Manatee
I suppose there must be better stuff and worse, but it all get s burnt so it doesn't have to last long.

Main thing is the mix, is my assumption. I have a hedge trimmer that uses 20:1 and a chainsaw that uses 40:1. I don't like to run the trimmer on 40:1 and the chainsaw is hard to start on 20:1 so I have to use two different mixes.
 Advice on 2 strokes - Zero
Ah there was much talk in the old scooter days about what special brews to conduct. The qty of smoke and the smell was key.
Well 'green' engines have even come to the world of chainsaws, the one I'm getting is a Stihl MS181c and that is supposed to have a reduced emissions motor in it. Apart from using it around the garden my son needs to use one as part of his college course to be a forester and although he has to have full PPE his doesn't have any kind of mask that would protect him from breathing in the engine smoke.
 Advice on 2 strokes - Baz
Now you don't want to be worrying about that sir, non of this namby pamby thinking. There is nothing like the smell of two stroke on a cold winter morning mixed in with some coffee and cigarettes to start the day.
 Advice on 2 strokes - Fenlander
Over the past couple of years I've sold my last two Stihl 2-stroke machines. Both owned from new and 20+yrs old but perfect running order. Always used Stihl own brand oil. With mine it said if you used non-Stihl oil to double the oil quantity in the ratio... pinch of salt with that perhaps.

I run a 2-stroke boat outboard too and that always has makers own brand oil... and I'm one of the few 2-stroke boaters I know who doesn't suffer oiling up or idle issues at low speeds.

You use so little oil over the course of a year buying the best is not really a consideration.
 Advice on 2 strokes - sherlock47
>>>doesn't have any kind of mask that would protect him<<<

I think that if he is running around all day in a forest with a chain saw that statistically inhalation would be the least of his worries :(
 Advice on 2 strokes - Runfer D'Hills
The wife of one of my friends announced a couple of years ago that her life would not be complete until they had a wood burning stove in their sitting room. He resisted the project on the basis that they already had more than adequate heating arrangements and that the stove which was identified as being required was of course the most expensive variant of its kind.

However, as these things usually run, eventually, the stove was aquired and installed.

He admits now though that it was most probably one of the best things to happen to him in recent years. More or less a personal epiphany.

Since the stove has been in his life he has been able to justify the purchase of 3 different sizes of axe, a chainsaw, various trolleys and wheelbarrows to move wood in its various states, the building of a lean-to log store and the affectation of wearing tartan shirts while chopping the logs.

He has never been happier and indeed he smells faintly of 2 stroke at most times.
 Advice on 2 strokes - Slidingpillar
My vintage 4 stroke gets 200:1 two stroke oil as an upper cylinder lubricant. Not an uncommon tactic where modern oil control rings are used in vintage engines.

Yes, I suppose I could use Redex, but two stroke oil is cheaper, more widely available and formulated to be burnt.
Thanks everyone, the Stihl branded oil for both the chain and the fuel seem quite reasonable so I'll stick with them.

For once looks like my son is going to teach me a few things on how to handle a bit of machinery! Although I a bit envious because they had him driving tractors on the first week of starting the course.
 Advice on 2 strokes - Cliff Pope
I misunderstood the thread title. I was expecting advice on doing regular exercise, a brisk walk is a good as a work-out, cut down on fatty food, etc.
 Advice on 2 strokes - Mike Hannon
All my two-stroke garden machinery is Stihl and I have always used Stihl oil in a 50-1 mix with excellent results. A capsule of oil for 5 litres of fuel is only 1€80. Smoke never seems to be an issue, even though all the gear is more than 10 years old now.
Turning the clock back 45 years, my Wartburg used a 16 or 20-1 mix and, as it came out of hand-operated fuel pumps aimed at putting the odd half gallon into scooters and the like, I was often invited to pump it in for myself. Being stuck in traffic with the choke out was highly anti-social...
 Advice on 2 strokes - Dave
Stihl oil is always good for Stihl equipment. But I think you will find that many employers will use premixed oil with alcohol fuel nowadays, due to lower emissions right next to the operator.
 Advice on 2 strokes - devonite
I have a 5hp Seagull silver century outboard that runs on a 12:1 mixture, no probs from the Neighbors when i fire it up in the dustbin, - we cant see each other!!!
 Advice on 2 strokes - Roger.
Many years ago I had a SAAB Monte Carlo. Now THAT was a two stroke!
 Advice on 2 strokes - MJW1994
Always used Husqvarna oil in my Husqvarna chainsaw although am using Aspen fuel now as it's kinder on the user and the engine, apparently. Bit more expensive but I build it in on any jobs I do.
 Advice on 2 strokes - NortonES2
Re Monte Carlo Saab. In Buxton there used to be a Saab dealer (Rock Bay garage) whose enthusiastic son buzzed about in something similar. Quite rapid I recall. Based on the 99 was it?
Last edited by: NIL on Sat 16 Nov 13 at 18:27
 Advice on 2 strokes - borasport
The original SAAB 96 had a 2-stroke 3-cylinder engine, the later model Saab 96 V4 had a V4 engine, natch ?

I can vouch for the fact that the V4 had a freewheel device, a carry over from the two-stroke days, apparently if it wasn't for the freewheel, on a long descent (think scandinavia)m the engine could be starved of oil.

I don't know where the engine was in the original, but allegedly Saab built a 6-cylinder 2-stroke made of two 3 cylinder engines joined together and the only way to get them in the engine compartment was to mount them ahead of the front wheels. Known as 'The Beast', the story is that the test driver at the time took it round the Trollhatten test site once and that it was so difficult to get round the corners, he refured to drive it ever again 1
 Advice on 2 strokes - Fullchat
www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD9DcQeaguo
 Advice on 2 strokes - Harleyman
You want multi-cylindered two-stroke lunacy? Check this out!

hooniverse.com/2010/06/01/a-trio-of-cylinder-hacking-heroes/
 Advice on 2 strokes - Roger.
SAAB Monte Carlo = 22 mpg, of petroil mix. Very stinky behind it!
Result= sold it quite soon, but what a car for its day!
Yes, it did have the free-wheel and it went round corners just as well as a Mini Cooper.
 Advice on 2 strokes - borasport
The one thing I really enjoyed about my v4 was taking what can only be called a 'hooligan' approach to roundabouts, courtesy of the freewheel
 Advice on 2 strokes - Cliff Pope

>>
>> I don't know where the engine was in the original, but allegedly Saab built a
>> 6-cylinder 2-stroke made of two 3 cylinder engines joined together and the only way to
>> get them in the engine compartment was to mount them ahead of the front wheels.

The V4 was like that. The engine was fore-and-aft, with the gearbox and drive unit at the back. Surprisingly it was a very stable arrangement, and the car was notably good at cornering. As Eric Carlsen proved.
It was said to have the characteristics of a rear-wheel drive car, so as to appeal to Swedes who were wedded to their Volvos.

The ultimately unstable 2-stroke was the prewar Tatra V-8.
 Advice on 2 strokes - bathtub tom
>>The ultimately unstable 2-stroke was the prewar Tatra V-8.

Air-cooled, yes. 2-stroke???
 Advice on 2 strokes - swiss tony
>> I misunderstood the thread title. I was expecting advice on doing regular exercise, a brisk
>> walk is a good as a work-out, cut down on fatty food, etc.
>>

I also misunderstood the title.
I was going to suggest a sex therapist.
Latest Forum Posts