Non-motoring > TV and HIGNFY Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 7

TV and HIGNFY - smokie
So I got a smart telly earlier this year, very smart it is too.

But when watching Have I Got News For You, and only that programme AFAIK, when they do a shot of any of the guests, but more so on Ian's side, the picture flickers a bit - bright and slightly darker, bright, dark. Irritating but doesn't spoil the (now slightly dated) show. Always watching through TiVo. What's that all about?
 TV and HIGNFY - Zero
Does it look like compression artefacts?
 TV and HIGNFY - AnotherJohnH
that might be about auto contrast having a bit of a wiggle,
or some fudge to cope with information in dark areas (my ~5yo Panasonic does this),
or a fault.

Switch some of the smartness off to see if that alters things.
Last edited by: AnotherJohnH on Sat 16 Nov 13 at 19:57
 TV and HIGNFY - Roger.
Probably down to TIVO? Normally I watch thru' Humax Freesat and don't see this.
Ditto when using the Samsung UE40ES6710UXXU's built in Freeview.
 TV and HIGNFY - AnotherJohnH

>> Probably down to TIVO?

I wouldn't have thought so.

PVR's just demultiplex the data for the specific program you want to record, and play that same data back: no need to do anything to it.

You could do a lot worse than set the TV up according to this place:

www.avforums.com/pages/pictureperfect/

Or, if you search by model for something like brightness variations in dark scenes (or similar), you may find something like this:

www.avsforum.com/t/1435194/tweak-disabling-autodimming-for-samsung-eseries-smart-led-tv-mine-is-es6710

TV and HIGNFY - smokie
Nah, it just looks like the whole picture gets darker and lighter - like their lights are going dimmer and brighter. Seems odd that that's the only programme I've noticed it on. Just for interest, I can replay the program and see if it happens at the same time each time, then mess with the contrast as suggested to see if it changes.
 TV and HIGNFY - No FM2R
I don't understand why it would be just that one program. That consideration to one side I suspect that it is some measure of auto-brightness or contrast.

Check the video and/or personalised viewing settings.
 TV and HIGNFY - Focusless
Is it a Panasonic? We leave ours set to 'true cinema' mode (= don't do anything 'clever') because it was behaving as you describe in some scenes.
Latest Forum Posts