Non-motoring > How Cornish are you? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 56

How Cornish are you? - Dog
www.gotoquiz.com/cornish_o_meter

I wasn't really surprised to see I checked out as 70% Cornish but, my gast was well-and-truly flabbered when er indoors came out as 85% ... especially as she hails from blimmin Essex!

How Cornish are you? - Fenlander
Hmm... I'm 94% Cornish.

BTW Dog are you still using that FZ200 camera... still OK with it?
Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 18 Nov 13 at 09:53
Yes indeedy Fenlander, it does all that I want from a camera but, the G2 took better pics of course.
Until recently I'd had a G2 for several months and indeed under critical examination the images had that extra sharpness over all bridge/compacts I've used.

But on a whim I sold it and bought the FZ150 which is 95% the same as yours but mainly without the constant 2.8 aperture. It is so far the nearest to my ideal camera, the zoom and image stabilistaion in particular are excellent. Also they have produced the least intrusive higher ISO noise I've seen on a bridge camera.

I can see the advantages of the 2.8 lens so as long as no downsides show up with a couple more weeks use I may trade up to the 200.
>>It is so far the nearest to my ideal camera

Yep, that's the way I feel about the FZ200, I bought it mainly for the 24x optical zoom lens really and I'm more-than happy with the images of wildlife I have taken with it.
 How Cornish are you? - Robbie34
Only 73% Cornish according to the quiz, although my family came from Portscatho and I have a Cornish name.
S'nice in Portscatho, but y'all need Lud's sort of money to live there.
 How Cornish are you? - CGNorwich
Got the message "failed to open page" when I tried so I guess fairly Cornish. :-)
 How Cornish are you? - VxFan
Most of those questions could also do with a "don't know" answer as I haven't the foggiest what the answer is to them.
You not Cornish then my ansome ;)
Thank god for that.
 How Cornish are you? - helicopter
83 % despite being born and bred as far away from Cornwall as is possible in England.....

However my score is high because (as is witnessed by my girth) I am somewhat of an expert on Pastys and Fish and Chips ...........
 How Cornish are you? - Alanovich
>> Only 73% Cornish according to the quiz, although my family came from Portscatho and I
>> have a Cornish name.
>>

I got 73 too. My (Dad's) family come from Drymen in Stirlingshire, and I have a very famous Scottish surname. I expect I'd score pretty low on a "How Scottish Are You" quiz, although I am horribly ginger and (masochistically) follow the Scottish sports teams for preference (whilst keeping England a handy second).
 How Cornish are you? - FocalPoint
84%. Very proud. Proper!
More than me, and I've lived here for 16 years!
 How Cornish are you? - Armel Coussine
Heh heh... 86%.

Doubtless from holiday visits to Polzeath during the war, and from my bedroom window overlooking Brunel's Saltash Bridge for three years in the fifties. And because some of the multiple choice answers were so tempting...
 How Cornish are you? - Slidingpillar
Never lived there, only visits are holidays, and a few years ago, the BBC's survey vehicle (Range Rover with 30' mast, two directional aerials and more technical gear than one can wave a stick at).

Still got 74%
This is where my German byrd lived Sire, she returned to the Fatherland about 7 years ago:

goo.gl/maps/AapaV
I revisited Polzeath some time in the seventies. It had grown a lot and was different... and of course I was different too, remembering it as it seemed to a small nipper. We used to get the bus to Padstow and Rock back then too.

Since we used to go there in summer my memory is much dominated by the smell of new-mown hay, a wonderful scent to a child. You could get ice cream there sometimes too. 'Pink or white?' the man used to say. I often went for pink but they tasted very similar.
When was the last time you had a candyfloss, Sire?

I always looked forward to a candy floss when 'mummy & daddy' (posh see!) took us to Southend-On-Sea in the 50's
In yet another sign of closet poshness, I must confess that my mother disapproved of candy floss and wouldn't ever let me have it. When I was old enough to try it anyway, it seemed disappointingly sticky and insubstantial. Just the way it looked really...

Does anyone remember liquorice pipes and liquorice skipping ropes? Too much damn liquorice in both of them.
 How Cornish are you? - MD
81%
Dog are you anywhere near Saltash... or deeper down country than that?
We're in mid Cornwall, Fenlander, a moorland area in between Bodmin and St Awful.
 How Cornish are you? - No FM2R
"you are 80% cornish

you should be prescribed a course of roddas, your almost cornish but noone from newlyn would talk to you!"

And I'm really not. Not even slightly.
I bet you don't even know who/what/where Rodda's is.
 How Cornish are you? - helicopter
Roddas clotted cream........

Yum........sold in those little tubs when you have a cream tea at National Trust properties.....
Too nice IMHO!
 How Cornish are you? - No FM2R
>>I bet you don't even know who/what/where Rodda's is.

'course I do, its a valley in Wales.
>> I bet you don't even know who Rodda's is.

Del Boy's brother, isn't it?
>> And I'm really not. Not even slightly.

Nor am I genetically, as far as I know. Yet I am deemed more Cornish here than anyone except Fenlander. The quiz congratulated me and called me 'my 'andsome' even.

My parents had a gardener in Plymouth, nice old cat called Mr. Thorne. He had been a sailor for much of his life, merchant navy I think though. Perhaps he was part Cornish because he used to call my little sister 'my pretty'.
>>Perhaps he was part Cornish because he used to call my little sister 'my pretty'.

Never heard that expression, my ansome, my bird even, occasionally foreigner, outsider, un-natural heard on Radio Cornwall.

A farmer once said to me it was a pretty morning once when we lived up on Bodmin Moor.

Right! - I'm orf to try and light this ******** Anthracite!
>> try and light this ******** Anthracite!

What's the problem Perro? A few firelighters will get it going in a nice little stove, no problem.

If you're using it in a fireplace, get the fire going with ordinary coal first and then add the anthracite. It's very energy-packed stuff, burns cleaner than coal and gives out much more heat, so you use less of it.
Agree - it's very hard to get anthracite burning from kindling. Ordinary bituminous coal is the answer. Get the coal going well and then add the anthracite Coal and anthracite also need frequent riddling of the grate to remove the ash unlike wood. Once anthracite gets going you won't be able to get near it!
 How Cornish are you? - Zero
>> Agree - it's very hard to get anthracite burning from kindling. Ordinary bituminous coal is
>> the answer. Get the coal going well and then add the anthracite Coal and anthracite
>> also need frequent riddling of the grate to remove the ash unlike wood. Once anthracite
>> gets going you won't be able to get near it!

good for steam engines, them blokes knows how to start and fettle a furnace.
I thought they mainly used steam coal. Did a lot use anthracite?
>>What's the problem Perro?

I'm not used to it Sire and CG, I've been burning Taybrite for the last few years, and that's a doddle to light AND keep alight.

I have to use an awful lot of wood to get the deep-mined small Welsh nuts going and it seems to die down after about 4 hours whereas the Taybrite would still be a'glowing come the morn.

Taybrite BTW, and all the other ites like Phunacite, and 'ovoids' in general, are made from anthracite dust ... and cement!

I might try a few bags o' Sunbrite :)
 How Cornish are you? - MD
I've tried them all. Homefire Ovals is the only way to go and will stay 'in' all night if you know your fire. Darned expensive though, but to be fair probably works out Even Stevens with the others if not better.
Had 25° in here since 4pm, our multi-fuel stove has 2 vents/valves at the top and another 2 at the bot.

I kept the lower ones fully open for a change and it seems the Anthracite likes that and it's still glowing well now 4 hours later, if I feed it later it would go on 'til the early hours but, it still wont perform as well as the ole Taybrite.

Perhaps that's why the Anthracite was a hell-of-a-lot cheaper than the Taybrite :)

I've used Homefire in the past, good stuff, as is Phurnacite.
Ahh OK. Just that there's a car in Saltash I'd look at if it were much nearer me. Mrs F is keen enough to take a chance on the 600ml round trip to see/buy. I keep telling her it's probably a heap and we'd be disappointed just to save the hassle.

I remind her you can buy rubbish locally... no need to travel for it.... then I keep getting a small niggle I should at least chat to the guy.
 How Cornish are you? - Zero
86% - not bad for am Emmet.
 How Cornish are you? - mikeyb
>> 86% - not bad for am Emmet.
>>

Pretty impressive, and makes my 77 look poor. Feeling like I should go back to visit ASAP
 How Cornish are you? - mikeyb
77%. Not bad seeing as I am genetically 50% Cornish anyway
 How Cornish are you? - Roger.
85% . Amazing, as I am 50% London, (well North Kent - Erith area), 25% Yorkshire and 25% Irish!
Last edited by: Roger on Mon 18 Nov 13 at 17:00
b'Jaysus! - it must be some car then Fl, to consider a 600ml round trip, I bought the Forester in Hampshire, and that was far enough.
 How Cornish are you? - Old Navy
I was born at the wrong end of the Torpoint ferry, does that count?
 How Cornish are you? - steveincornwall
94% Great grandad was from Plympton so thats the missing 6% I suppose!
Steve.
>> Torpoint ferry,

The one I liked was the Cremyll Ferry, dragged itself along by climbing along huge rusty chains and spewing them back onto the estuary bottom. It was symmetrical of course, but I seem to remember that the screw-propelled ferries were too, Torpoint and Saltash indeed...
>>>it must be some car then Fl, to consider a 600ml round trip.

Green metallic (just a shade lighter than BRG) with tan leather... my all time favourite colour/trim combination.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 18 Nov 13 at 18:11
What car is it though Fenlander, an Alfa?
 How Cornish are you? - Skip
85% Cornish apparently. Not bad for someone who is half Canadian and half Scots ! I have had at least one holiday a year there for god knows how many years though so perhaps that explains it !
Wished I'd never started this thread now, lived here for 16 years and I'm only 70% proof (I said proof!)

:+)
 How Cornish are you? - spamcan61
83% Cornish, maybe the Tamar used to flow through Luton.
>>>What car is it though Fenlander, an Alfa?

Yes. Same year/model just an estate. I'm struggling without an estate. Just a couple of months after buying the 156 saloon I started a modest bit of "work" that ideally needs an estate. Currently have to borrow her C3 most weekends to move gear that needs seats to fold.
Is there a link to said shooting brake on eBay or Autotrader I wonder?
Indeed...

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171160394225

Probably would turn out to be as bad as some of the Volvos Pat's looked at... or it could be "the one".

Only downside in the images is the dog guard... no offence but we don't want a car that smells of dog!
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 19 Nov 13 at 12:12
I looked at a 2.5 petrol Subaru Outback a couple of weeks ago, 126k on the clock, fool main dealer service history from new.

I went through the service history with a fine toof comb and some of the services were carried out at Joe Bloggs tyre & exhaust depot, other services were carried out up to 6k miles late.

It had a couple of Geolanders on the front but odd tyres on the back which, when I checked em out back at base, were ditch finders.

Great car the Outback BTW, but I was glad to climb back into my Forester, and that says it all, for me.

That Alfa 'looks' good, but y'all have to check it out yourself really effendi, or get someone who knows about diesels, all I know about them is that they are noisy, smelly, and sluggish.

(I larf!)
Latest Forum Posts