Non-motoring > Dr Who Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 58

Dr Who - zippy
Ok as there are no other current threads, I thought I would start one:

Quite enjoyed tonight's special episode.

Thought John Hurt was brilliant.

Seeing Tom Baker near the end was excellent!

Gawd knows what it was all about but it was quite fun nonetheless!

Dr Who - rtj70
And it confirmed the next Doctor is the 13th and not 12th. So this means there shouldn't be a 14th.... except the plot might be used to argue why there might be.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 23 Nov 13 at 22:34
 Dr Who - R.P.
It has been a brilliant series, the latter post 2005 are by far the best - incredible effects with excellent story-lines and quality acting, the ones standing out for me are the ELO one and the Van Gogh story. True classics.
 Dr Who - bathtub tom
There's a bit of stuff on the 'red button' featuring some of them that didn't appear in the special.

Had a discussion with SWMBO about how many doctors there had been - got thoroughly confused when I got to the WIKI link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_actors_who_have_played_the_Doctor

I recall Paul McGann (briefly) and Peter Cushing (film), but Michael Jayston, Rowan Atkinson, Richard E. Grant, Jim Broadbent, Hugh Grant, but even Joanna Lumley and Arabella Weir amongst many others must have been when I dozed off.
 Dr Who - Haywain
I'm afraid I got fed up with Dr Who after William Hartnell left in 1966.

I couldn't bear to watch this evenings programme after the constant barrage of advertising in the weeks leading up to it. And when it was featured on all the 'news' programmes ……….. Oh, dear!
 Dr Who - Dave_
Not a fan, never have been. However, I must confess to being a little bit excited at the job I'm doing tomorrow after the 50th anniversary event in London... It's always nice to get your hands on something that passers-by instantly recognise.
Last edited by: Dave_TiD on Sat 23 Nov 13 at 23:36
 Dr Who - Armel Coussine
I could never abide it. When it first appeared I took an interest because it said it was science fiction. It wasn't though, it was fantasy adventure for nippers, and I turned it off in disgust then and there.

People are fond of it though. They tell me I'm the wrong age group. Could be... but I always was.
 Dr Who - Runfer D'Hills
To me, it's a bit like trifle. I would never buy a trifle, I would never order trifle in a restaurant, I don't crave trifle and certainly wouldn't ask anyone to make me a trifle or indeed have even the slightest curiousity in learning how to make one for myself.

However, just occasionally, when I am surprised by having a random plate of trifle forced upon me at some gathering of my wife's family, ( who seem to have some kind of best-in-the-family trifle rivalry thing going back generations ) and it's clear that refusal to partake would be inappropriate behaviour, then I have to admit, despite my misgivings, I confess to rather enjoying it at the time.

Dr Who - Armel Coussine
You're so... kirk, Humph. Presbyterian.

Do your wife's family put booze in their trifles? The best ones have quite a lot of that. I dearly love a nice trifle. Catholic, y'see...

:o}
 Dr Who - Dave_
I know exactly where Humph's coming from on the trifle too.
 Dr Who - VxFan
Can't wait for Matt Smith to be regenerated. Never took to him. Not sure I like the next bloke either though.

Eccleston & Tennant were my favourites of the newer series.
 Dr Who - Zero
Trifle is a mirror of life. Sometimes bad and desperate enough to ask why you wish to continue on this planet, mostly pleasant enough to be satisfying, and sometimes of delightfully historic proportions, good enough you remember the event for years to come.

Life 'aint like a box of chocolates, its a trifle.
 Dr Who - Roger.
Just too metaphysical, that analogy! :-)
Yesterday I did not exist, today I do, tomorrow I won't. End of.
{All days relative. ;-) }
 Dr Who - Roger.
>> You're so... kirk, Humph. Presbyterian.
>>
>> Do your wife's family put booze in their trifles? The best ones have quite a
>> lot of that. I dearly love a nice trifle. Catholic, y'see...
>>
>> :o}

REAL trifle does NOT have fruit in it!
 Dr Who - Skip

>> >> Do your wife's family put booze in their trifles?
>>
>> REAL trifle does NOT have fruit in it!

Jelly or no jelly ?
 Dr Who - Roger.
>>
>> >> >> Do your wife's family put booze in their trifles?
>> >>
>> >> REAL trifle does NOT have fruit in it!
>>
>> Jelly or no jelly ?
>>

No jelly!
Just trifle sponges, with added strawberry or raspberry jam and plenty of Bristol Cream (or similar), topped with proper custard and finished off with whipped double cream, garnished with haves of blanched almonds!
 Dr Who - Runfer D'Hills
"Haves" Roger? Surely you mean "halves" don't you?

Are you foreign or something? I think we should be told.

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sun 24 Nov 13 at 11:19
 Dr Who - Roger.
"Blush".
 Dr Who - Armel Coussine
Anyone who hasn't tried it already is recommended to taste a 'Vesuvio' at Marine Ices in Chalk Farm. It's the world's best trifle although technically a sundae. Cake, bits of meringue, black cherries, kirsch, cream, ice cream, molten toffee and stuff... heaven. Dunno if I could finish one these days (let alone pay for it) but if I happened to be there I'd probably give it a go.
 Dr Who - Roger.
Is it named thus because it erupts in one's stomach?
 Dr Who - Roger.
>> I could never abide it. When it first appeared I took an interest because it
>> said it was science fiction. It wasn't though, it was fantasy adventure for nippers, and
>> I turned it off in disgust then and there.
>>
>> People are fond of it though. They tell me I'm the wrong age group. Could
>> be... but I always was.
>>

Me too!
 Dr Who - swiss tony
>> Not a fan, never have been. However, I must confess to being a little bit excited at the job I'm doing tomorrow after the 50th anniversary event in London... It's always nice to get your hands on something that passers-by instantly recognise.
>>

The Whomobile, or the Crayford Metro?
 Dr Who - Zero
he's driving a 3.5 toner with a police box on the back.
 Dr Who - swiss tony
>> he's driving a 3.5 toner with a police box on the back.
>>
That was my first thought, but then that would be a bit too obvious.....
 Dr Who - Zero
don't over complicate matters....
 Dr Who - crocks
f.kulfoto.com/pic/0001/0029/gWF3x28108.jpg
 Dr Who - Duncan
>> he's driving a 3.5 toner with a police box on the back.
>>

I've heard of 2 tone, but what's 3.5 tone, for goodness sake?

;-)

Dr Who - Haywain
"However, I must confess to being a little bit excited at the job I'm doing tomorrow"

Any day out of Coalville is a good day!
 Dr Who - zookeeper
>> "However, I must confess to being a little bit excited at the job I'm doing
>> tomorrow"
>>
>> Any day out of Coalville is a good day!
>>

your lucky, i keep getting job offers in coalville.... bardon hill to be exact, dont fancy it much especially if the weather turns i could be marooned on the A50 for months
 Dr Who - Haywain
" bardon hill to be exact,"

Bardon Hill, the highest point in Leicestershire at 912ft - mind you, some more may have been eroded from it by the activities of the quarry! We used to do our cross-country runs over Bardon Hill from the grammar school. Some say that Coalville went into decline with the closure of the pits; but I think it all started when the grammar school turned comprehensive.
 Dr Who - Pat
I was always told Tilton on the Hill was the highest point Haywain.

I certainly remember the villagers saying something about planes damaged during the war and losing height, had to make it over Tilton to make it back home.

The sites in Coldborough and Robin a tiptoe hills would seem to confirm that.

My son, when he was 10 years old, came home with a pocket full of live 305 bullets he'd dug up with his metal detector from one of those sites!

Pat
 Dr Who - Duncan
>> I was always told Tilton on the Hill was the highest point Haywain.
>>
>> I certainly remember the villagers saying something about planes damaged during the war and losing
>> height, had to make it over Tilton to make it back home.
>>
>> The sites in Coldborough and Robin a tiptoe hills would seem to confirm that.

Quote from Wiki:-

The highest point of the county is Bardon Hill at 278 metres (912 ft), which is also a Marilyn.
 Dr Who - Pat
I stand corrected!

It's still a better place to live than Bardon Hill though;)

Pat
 Dr Who - CGNorwich
"Bardon Hill, the highest point in Leicestershire at 912ft"

I'm glad I don't live anywhere so mountainous. I don't know how I would cope with the altitude sickness and vertigo inducing ascents. I did climb majestic Beacon Hill, the highest spot in Norfolk, without oxygen some years back but its 103 metres tested me to my limits.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 25 Nov 13 at 08:50
 Dr Who - Pat
Good job it wasn't the 'proper' Beacon Hill then because that's in Leicestershire;)

Pat
 Dr Who - CGNorwich
>> Good job it wasn't the 'proper' Beacon Hill then because that's in Leicestershire;)
>>
That would involve foreign travel.
 Dr Who - No FM2R
I love Doctor Who as do my children & my sister and her children.

I also loved all the pre-2005 ones until rather sadly the post-2005 ones made the older ones unwatchable.

And last night's episode was a really good one. Just getting my morning toast and coffee and then I'm going to watch it again.

I've watched it since seeing the films at Saturday Morning Pictures. We didn't have a television. Its great fun, and its nice to have a tradition.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 24 Nov 13 at 12:23
 Dr Who - R.P.
I also loved all the pre-2005 ones until rather sadly the post-2005 ones made the older ones unwatchable.

Well put.
 Dr Who - R.P.

Humph will be familiar with this Dalek. My photo was from a very wet day out on the bike towards Crewe and then up to Ormskirk.
Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 25 Nov 13 at 10:36
 Dr Who - Runfer D'Hills
Drove past it twice today. It's at the Snugburys ice-cream place. Passes for a tourist attraction round here. ( there isn't much else going on other than a bit of the usual recreational inbreeding I suppose ) I guess it's targetted at attracting those who feel they aren't quite fat enough yet and need an excursion based face stuffing opportunity.

;-)
 Dr Who - Lygonos
I assume everyone caught the 'Night of the Doctor' mini episode that was released a week or so ago as a teaser for last night.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U3jrS-uhuo
 Dr Who - Fursty Ferret
Sort of lost track of it after Christopher Eccleston left.

Some good episodes though:

* The Empty Child
* Van Gogh
* The Weeping Angels
* Dalek

Though apart from above, none of the other Dalek episodes have been up to par with those in the past. Thought the 50th was good, though. Suspect it might have been very different without John Hurt.
 Dr Who - Fenlander
Agree with NoFM.

This new series came at a time when our girls were 8 & 10 so it has made enjoyable joint family watching for the past 8yrs. The post 2005 series brought a quality of scriptwriting, production and special effects that elevated it to near film standards.

Having said that I thought the special last Sat was something of an indulgance for fans, for a 90min episode it took a long time to establish just one step in the story. The clip Lygonos mentions does similar in 6mins.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U3jrS-uhuo

Best episode ever I reckon was The Pandorica Opens... a real rollercoaster... and River Song was in it... can't believe she wasn't involved the 50th episode.
 Dr Who - VxFan
>> River Song... can't believe she wasn't involved the 50th episode.

Meeting up with her 12 husbands would have been too much for her.
 Dr Who - Fenlander
>>> Meeting up with her 12 husbands would have been too much for her.

Not for Alex Kingston surely?
 Dr Who - R.P.
www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/reviews/doctor-who-day-of-the-doctor--who-says-it-has-to-make-sense-its-a-triumph-8960416.html

Nice piece in the Indie - complete with a Triumph Scrambler - nicely placed bit of product placement
 Dr Who - Rudedog
Apparently this episode was a record breaker, simutationsly shown in over 94 countries each one dubbed into correct language.
 Dr Who - Peter Davison's 'The Five(ish) Doctors' - rtj70
Anyone else seen the comedic The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot by Peter Davison? I thought it quite amusing. His idea was turned into a sort of official programme. Even has Peter Jackson and Sir Ian McKellan in it.
 Dr Who - Peter Davison's 'The Five(ish) Doctors' - bathtub tom
Saw it and understood why it was hidden away on the red button - bit amateurish.
I thought it was amusing. Never mind.

It was always meant to me amateurish. But it got some proper camera work courtesy of the BBC. Now the question is... were any of the three under the sheets in the actual programme. I kind of hope they were 'extras'. :-)

Now Breaking Bad... that was very very good. And dark. But that's another thread.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 27 Nov 13 at 00:12
 Dr Who - Peter Davison's 'The Five(ish) Doctors' - R.P.
My nephew was an extra in it !
 Dr Who - Peter Davison's 'The Five(ish) Doctors' - Bromptonaut
>> Anyone else seen the comedic The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot by Peter Davison? I thought it
>> quite amusing. His idea was turned into a sort of official programme. Even has Peter
>> Jackson and Sir Ian McKellan in it.

My image of Peter Davison is as another Doctor - Dr Dacre in 'A Very Peculiar Practice'.
>> My image of Peter Davison is as another Doctor - Dr Dacre in 'A Very Peculiar Practice'.

Yep remember that too. And he was of course in All Creatures Great and Small - Tristan Farnan.
>> My image of Peter Davison is as another Doctor - Dr Dacre in 'A Very Peculiar Practice'.

I spent many months at the site (off and on) where it was filmed - a training centre. Anyone else recognise it?
But does anyone remember: A Very Polish Practice?

Didn't know that was made.

I assume BT is saying some filming done at a BT training location. It was based at a University (East Anglia) but other locations were used.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 27 Nov 13 at 23:52
 Dr Who - Peter Davison's 'The Five(ish) Doctors' - borasport
This got me thinking, as I was an avid fan of AVPP and a graduate of UEA, and I don't recall watching and thinking 'oh yep, there are my old stomping grounds'. Then again I would have been concentrating on Amanda Hillwood in (or out) of her policewomans uniform, and Barbara Flynn in her nurses uniform....

Reading between the lines of wikipedia and the BBC, the campus was 'based' on UEA, but filmed at Keele and Birmingham

Dr Who - Peter Davison's 'The Five(ish) Doctors' - Alanovich
>> >> My image of Peter Davison is as another Doctor - Dr Dacre in 'A
>> Very Peculiar Practice'.
>>
>> I spent many months at the site (off and on) where it was filmed -
>> a training centre. Anyone else recognise it?

Wasn't is at the University of Birmingham?

I enjoyed that series. Rose Marie in particular. Was also a fan of All Creatures (read all the books when I was a teenager), and he's my favourite ever Doctor Who.
>> Wasn't is at the University of Birmingham?

Outside scenes were filmed at a number of universities which I believe included East Anglia and Birmingham. But I think Bathtub Tom (BT) is referring to them using BT's training site in Stafford as well - which BT will know having worked for British Telecom.

Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 28 Nov 13 at 14:09
>> I think Bathtub Tom (BT) is referring to them using BT's training site

Yup, Yarnfield, just outside Stone in Staffs: goo.gl/maps/hNpCz.

This accommodation was disused by the '90s I believe, but it was luxury compared to the wooden huts we were in during the '60s and '70s.
Latest Forum Posts