Non-motoring > 'Touch-up' paint for garden furniture? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Haywain Replies: 8

'Touch-up' paint for garden furniture? - Haywain
While securing the garden furniture against howling gales, I noticed that the paint had chipped off in several places. The furniture is green-painted metal - some type of alloy, and where the paint has chipped, the metal surface looks a sort of 'galvanised' grey colour.

I'm now wondering what sort of paint would be best as a 'touch-up' on the exposed metal surface. All useful suggestions gratefully received, as usual.
 'Touch-up' paint for garden furniture? - Roger.
Hammerite - comes in colours other than black these days, I believe.
 'Touch-up' paint for garden furniture? - Dulwich Estate
The grey stuff will be oxidised aluminium. Rub it and eventually it'll shine up.

My 30 year old white painted aluminium British Made patio set was looking a bit sad a few years back. For the price of a new Chinese version I got mine powder coated in dark green - lovely job (even though I did all the preparation to keep the cost down) and it's lasted a good few years with no distress yet.
 'Touch-up' paint for garden furniture? - Clk Sec
>> Hammerite - comes in colours other than black these days, I believe.

So it does, and they have it in dark green.

www.hammerite.co.uk/products/direct_to_galvanised_metal_paint.jsp

I changed the colour of our patio set some years ago with a 750ml tin of Hammerite (textured matt slate black), and still had some left over for touching up the odd chips.

Looks as good as new.
"I changed the colour of our patio set some years ago with a 750ml tin of Hammerite .................... Looks as good as new."

The trouble is, what with this these new EU (?) regs etc. etc. I believe the newer Hammerite is a poor imitation of the old stuff. Shame. What's a few emissions from a paint pot or two ?
Last edited by: Dulwich Estate on Tue 26 Nov 13 at 14:10
 'Touch-up' paint for garden furniture? - Dog
>> I believe the newer Hammerite is a poor imitation of the old stuff. Shame. What's a few emissions from a paint pot or two ?

Same with Nitromors paint & varnish remover, the new stuff is carp, same with Teepol I'll wager.
[compared to the original]
 'Touch-up' paint for garden furniture? - Haywain
Thanks for the replies, chaps - looks like it's 'New' Hammerite, then; let's hope it does its job better than 'New' Labour! I used to use the old 'hammer-finish' type when I redecorated the Triumph T21; that was 40 years ago, and I think I've probably still got tins of silver and blue. Unfortunately, no green!

I'm just hoping that the available dark green is a good match for shade of green that's currently on the furniture - I was hoping to get away with a touch-up job. If I have to repaint the whole lot, I don't want to strip it all down to metal so i'm left wondering which of the Hammerite paint variants would be most appropriate.
 'Touch-up' paint for garden furniture? - Dutchie
I have been using all weather gloss Sandtex.On metal and plastic guttering.Not cheap but what a quality paint.
You could always try the "shabby chic" look and do....... er....nothing.

It lasts forever and is very cheap to maintain and the patina of age improves over time as the faded paint merges with the gradually rotting metalwork. No doubt it'll sell for hundreds on eBay in a couple of decades from now.
Last edited by: Dulwich Estate on Wed 27 Nov 13 at 13:39
Latest Forum Posts