Non-motoring > Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles - Vol 14   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 109

Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles - Vol 14 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 15 *****

Volume 14 - NO CARS :-)

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Volume 13 is here

Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 11 Apr 14 at 23:13

Double Headed Black Fives. - Zero
Sometimes, just sometimes everything about a shot just clicks into place. The sun breaking through at the right moment to fluoresce the exhaust a lovely shade of yellow, two service trains arrived to frame and provide depth, signals are green and the road is clear so running at max permitted class speed (60mph) and a whistle - in this case that soft low mellow moan of an LMS style, complete with doppler.

What a cracking morning

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNtST4Tqmd4

Double Headed Black Fives. - Ted

Nice vid, Z. I've got a photo of 'Soon to be SWM' leaning on the front offside buffer of a Black Five at Trafford Park shed....about 1966/7.

The LMS adopted the whistle used on the Caledonian Railway as it's standard. The LMS Patriot Trust, who are building a brand new loco, The Unknown Warrior, at Llangollen, have had a brand new whistle of the correct type donated for the loco.

Funny what turns up in the back of the garage !

Ted

Double Headed Black Fives. - Dog
Prize worthy IMO .. great sound too through my MA's, and no whirly whirlies now I'm @zen.

Double Headed Black Fives. - Bromptonaut
Nice vid Zeddo. I like the way the slew on the slow lines together with shortening effect of lens looks as though you're on the track.

IIRC the set came through Northampton this morning.

Do you know what the return timings look like?

Double Headed Black Fives. - Zero
Timings
www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U50591/2013/11/30/advanced
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 30 Nov 13 at 14:26

Dornier Skyservant? - Bromptonaut
Bumbling over here yesterday morning, what I think was a Dornier Skyservant:

tinyurl.com/nukyslp

Heard it first but by time I'd got binos to bear on it it was some way past so couldn't ID reg or markings.

Last time I saw one was Luftwaffe example at Lees Bradford in late seventies.

Osprey (the aircraft, not the bird!) - Haywain
An Osprey came over Bury St Edmunds yesterday afternoon; not too surprising as about a dozen are currently based up at Mildenhall. I'm always fascinated to see one in the air as I remember seeing the tilt-rotor design as a concept in boys' comics (as opposed to lads' mags!) more than 50 years ago.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Boeing_V-22_Osprey

Osprey (the aircraft, not the bird!) - CGNorwich
Thought you meant the bird for a moment. That would have been much more exciting!

Osprey (the aircraft, not the bird!) - Fenlander
They always look a bit clumsy to me but the way they fold is amazing...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WYaQYR2Vv0

Osprey (the aircraft, not the bird!) - bathtub tom
I never knew the props(rotors?) folded and wing rotated.

I think I noticed some on the carrier the US sent to the Phillipines after the recent hurricane.

Osprey (the aircraft, not the bird!) - Haywain
Thanks for the link - I never knew they did that! There are some other associated video clips alongside that one.

Railway towns - Ted

We all know that Crewe, Doncaster, Swindon, Derby and many others were basically towns built by the railways. Here's another one...largely forgotten.

goo.gl/maps/QW7tp

I went past it on the train to Chester today. It's the tiny village of Vulcan in Lancashire.
Built by the Vulcan Foundry, now all swept away, it housed the workers who built locomotives and many other things for both the UK and the Empire.

Must be pretty exclusive now, the streetview car could only snap a couple of stills. It's in the fork where the Golborne cut-off leaves the old line from Warrington to Earlestown.

Looked spick and span from the train.

Ted

Railway towns - Zero
Indeed ted, I have filmed stuff made at the Vulcan Foundary

The works en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcan_Foundry

BR Class 52 "Western" - Zero
Bit of an unusual tour here.

www.youtube.com/my_videos?o=U

BR Class 52 "Western" - Bromptonaut
Z,

That link needs a log in.

Opps

Here www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-h5mYxGd_8

BR Class 52 "Western" - Dog
Good choice of colour on that loco - Garnet Red, same as my Subaru.

:}

it sounds like your Subaru......

Tangmere Failure. - Zero
Some time back I reported on the failure of Tagnmere on a rail tour.

Video of Train 20 miles before failure here

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVdUsjmp8oE

Now an RAIB report is being prepared

www.raib.gov.uk/publications/current_investigations_register/131123_winchfield.cfm

Dutchie's lot are at it now ! - Ted

The first Dutch ' new build ' express steam loco build.

The blue 4-6-0 'Duke of Brabant'. is on it's way !

s479.photobucket.com/user/1400ted/media/bluebrabant.jpg.html

Lovely looking engine........shades of Great Eastern and Caledonian locos there ( both blue in original ownership ) .

Ted

Black Fives meets Black Widow - Zero
not everyone gets to film a Soviet Kilo Class sub and a Steam train in the same shot.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb3VwrxmfJI

(and yes ON, I know Soviet Subs did not have a Unnn designation)

Black Fives meets Black Widow - Dog
>>not everyone gets to film a Soviet Kilo Class sub and a Steam train in the same shot

AND Rochester Castle in the background.

Nice weather for you steamchasers, the old Sub would make a good houseboat I reckon.

Black Fives meets Black Widow - Old Navy
>> (and yes ON, I know Soviet Subs did not have a Unnn designation)
>>

A good video, however................

That is not a Kilo class submarine, it is a much older Foxtrot class.

This is a Kilo.

commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Iranian_kilo_class_submarine.jpg
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 23 Dec 13 at 08:24

You'r right, I knew it was a Foxtrot, I checked out its history before I did the video, now WTF did I put 'Kilo' There!

Black Fives meets Black Widow - R.P.
Yeah Yeah///:-)

To me all steam trains look the same, to some people all submarines............ :-)

Honest, I had no idea what class it was (apart form being a diesel attack boat - no nuc would be allowed to moulder around in the medway) so I looked up its history, and STILL put the wrong one down. Still at least I didn't call it a Typhoon.

>>- no nuc would be allowed to moulder around in the Medway
>>

Nuclear submarines were refitted and refuelled at Chatham Royal Dockyard.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 23 Dec 13 at 17:00

but not left rotting in the mud.....

Braunton - Zero
>> To me all steam trains look the same, to some people all submarines............ :-)

This is a rebuilt 4-6-2 Light Pacific West Country Class. It looks very much like a rebuilt Merchant Navy, but nothing like an unrebuilt Battle of Britain Class.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KuQ5yvm3a0

Braunton - Old Navy
Really? It looks like a DMU to me. OH, you mean the one with the steam effect. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 23 Dec 13 at 14:26

Braunton - Bromptonaut
>> >> To me all steam trains look the same, to some people all submarines............ :-)
>>
>> This is a rebuilt 4-6-2 Light Pacific West Country Class. It looks very much like
>> a rebuilt Merchant Navy, but nothing like an unrebuilt Battle of Britain Class.
>>
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KuQ5yvm3a0

The foreshortening effect of telephoto setting is very obvious there.

Some way into film before it's apparent that the EMU is a four coach 450 class - the DC equivalent of London Midland's 350s. Looks like a two car or even a 'bubblecar' at the start.

My "best of" 2013 video - Zero
Stick some headphones on and crank up the volume.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc20HxGDzbs

My "best of" 2013 video - Bromptonaut
Nice set Z, though for me the rolling stock is as interesting as the locos.

>> Nice set Z, though for me the rolling stock is as interesting as the locos.
>>

I think you'd get bored with 12 minutes of slam door Mk1's rolling past your screen.

My "best of" 2013 video - Armel Coussine
>> slam door

, leather strap window

>> Mk1's rolling past your screen.

My "best of" 2013 video - Bromptonaut
>> I think you'd get bored with 12 minutes of slam door Mk1's rolling past your
>> screen.

They're not all Mk1s though. Spotted a few Mk2s, former East Coast Metro Cammell Pullmans and also what look like the West Coast Pullmans now based at Carnforth.

My "best of" 2013 video - nice but dim
What was the flashing near the chimneys on August and September, looked like fire but could have been light through the steam?

EDIT - I'm disappointed that there's no diesel vids in your collection!
Last edited by: nice but dim on Tue 24 Dec 13 at 21:27

>> What was the flashing near the chimneys on August and September, looked like fire but
>> could have been light through the steam?

The firebox door is open, the light and the heat in the firebox pulses and reflects through the cab sides and windows into the exhaust curling round the sides of the cab.

Edit, tho I do have a vid of a LMS Black 5 hurling burning embers onto the track.

>> EDIT - I'm disappointed that there's no diesel vids in your collection!

just for you

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1scc2h5PflU
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 24 Dec 13 at 21:37

My "best of" 2013 video - nice but dim
Impressive as the Deltic class are, the noise just seems to jumbled to be clear. I would like to send my all time favourite though you may have seen (heard) this before.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ICcOu0NkM

Alas Paxman Valentas have been removed from Class 43's The MTU's don't sound bad tho

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YexmZ6C4Rc

My "best of" 2013 video - Dog
Brilliant!

My "best of" 2013 video - Ted

Building a Valenta 125....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGBQxWwMbIA

HO

Abandoned tube stations - Focusless
Following on from last night's Sherlock, a piece on the BBC site about abandoned tube stations, of which there are "in the region of 40" apparently:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25576814

Abandoned tube stations - Zero
Been down Aldwych, the London Transport Museum organises regular tours.

Abandoned tube stations - sherlock47
If you have a few hours (or days!) to spare I suggest a virtual visit to
www.subbrit.org.uk/category/underground-railways-and-metros

If you wish to be more generic try www.subbrit.org.uk/

Something of a rarity. - Zero
One A4 in Steam towing another A4 - The famous Mallard, at York Station yesterday.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJYc8P5qY1I

Something of a rarity. - Dog
You must be keen going all that way for a shot, isn't York up North somewhere?

>> You must be keen going all that way for a shot, isn't York up North
>> somewhere?

Aye lad, but t' weather were better ooppp there thy knows.

Seriously, just a spit of rain here and there on the way. Up in 3 hours 30 minutes, back in 3 hours 40.

Last edited by: Zero on Thu 6 Feb 14 at 08:35

>>Up in 3 hours 30 minutes, back in 3 hours 40.

Surprising, must be arf-decent roads then Shirley, or you hammered it ;)

>> >>Up in 3 hours 30 minutes, back in 3 hours 40.
>>
>> Surprising, must be arf-decent roads then Shirley, or you hammered it ;)

Its called the M1. Journey was 220 miles door to door, so averaged just over 60mph.

Something of a rarity. - sherlock47
Surprisingly few steam twitchers on the opposite platform, (what is the collective noun?).
I looked up the Shildon event being held to celebrate the 75 years and noted that they will be holding a formal 'Gala Dinner' at £70 a head. Will you be going? I am just longing to see the video of how a group of stwitchers interpret the 'Formal Dress' requirement :)
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Thu 6 Feb 14 at 08:52

>> Surprisingly few steam twitchers on the opposite platform, (what is the collective noun?).
>> I looked up the Shildon event being held to celebrate the 75 years and
>> noted that they will be holding a formal 'Gala Dinner' at £70 a head. Will
>> you be going? I am just longing to see the video of how a group
>> of stwitchers interpret the 'Formal Dress' requirement :)

I am going to shildon - I have a photographers pass, but not the Formal Dinner, I won't get my dinner anorak back from the cleaners in time for that, and my notebook and pen were ceremonially destroyed when I said the Flying Scot was a pile of poo.

Oh and they are called "Gricers"

Something of a rarity. - legacylad
'Gricers'. Is that wot posh folks call Fortnum & Mason?

Something of a rarity. - Duncan
>> on the opposite platform, (what is the collective noun?).
>>

It's called "a stationful of platforms".

Just pleased to help.

What the f have they done to Google Maps? .. I can see you flew round the M25 to the M1 but, I would usually have stuck a pin in say Weybridge, and then another in York but, I can't seem to do that now.

I mean, why firkin change things!!

Something of a rarity. - Focusless
productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/maps/XCSe9ruxo14%5B1-25-false%5D

I changed back to 'classic' after trying it for a bit last year; ought to try it again sometime I suppose...

Say n'more, thanks.

Something of a rarity. - legacylad
Off topic but York is my favourite UK city. We try to stay at the Mount Royale at least once a year, and first beer is normally taken at the station Tap, followed by Pivni then The House of Trembling Madness. Haven't visited since late Dec'13 and missing it already, so a day out by train is in order.

And here is an interesting conundrum.

TomTom set to faster route said Home / M25 / M1/ A1. doh no brainer there I knew that.

way back tho it said York / A1 /M25.

Two different solutions for the same journey.

>> And here is an interesting conundrum.
>>
>> TomTom set to faster route said Home / M25 / M1/ A1. doh no brainer
>> there I knew that.
>>
>>
>> way back tho it said York / A1 /M25.
>>
>>
>> Two different solutions for the same journey.
>>

TomTom is not daft.

It knows that old blokes with old Jap cars get confused easily. So, it does two different routes, old driver, old car, no confusion.

SQ
>> It knows that old blokes with old Jap cars get confused easily. So, it does
>> two different routes, old driver, old car, no confusion.

I ignored it
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 6 Feb 14 at 12:49

Something of a rarity. - Pat
....and are incontinent too.

Pat

>> ....and are incontinent too.
>>
>> Pat
>>

That was the elephant in room that I didn't mention. Zero once told me that he has to stop every ten minutes for a J Carroll Nash.

;-)

>> >> ....and are incontinent too.
>> >>
>> >> Pat
>> >>
>>
>> That was the elephant in room that I didn't mention. Zero once told me that
>> he has to stop every ten minutes for a J Carroll Nash.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ;-)

No he didn't. And its a Jimmy. You don't slang "slash" in rhyme,
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 6 Feb 14 at 12:50

Last Passenger DC10 - Bromptonaut
The world's last passenger certificated Douglas DC10, flown by Bangladesh Biman, just passed over here inbound to Birmingham from Dhakka.

I shall be on it on Saturday for a 1hour 'scenic' flight f/t Birmingham.

Last Passenger DC10 - Alastairw
Be prepared for a wait. When that airline briefly served Manchester (with more modern planes) it became infamous for tech delays.

Last Passenger DC10 - Zero
I was one of only three people on a BA DC10 (inherited from BCal) out of Malaga > Gatwick. All three of us chose first class of course. It was an unscheduled replacement for a cancelled flight.

Last Passenger DC10 - Runfer D'Hills
During the "First Gulf War" flights were regularly undersubscribed with passengers. There seemed to be a feeling that they were all in imminent danger of being shot down. My job at the time took me regularly to New York and back and on several occasions I got bumped up to Business and even First a few times on BA flights out of and into Heathrow.

On one occasion there were so few pax on a 747 and it was very nearly Christmas ( maybe the 23rd or so of December that year ) that those few of us on the flight ended up having an improptu party with the cabin staff. Champagne flowing, music turned up etc. I er, "kept in touch" with one of the TDs for a while after that flight.

More or less everyone ( except presumably the driver ) was hammered by the time we landed in JFK.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Thu 20 Feb 14 at 22:31

Last Passenger DC10 - henry k
>> I was one of only three people on a BA DC10 (inherited from BCal) out> of Malaga > Gatwick.
All three of us chose first class of course. It was an unscheduled replacement for a cancelled flight.
>>
I can't match that in numbers.
I was however one of just six passengers on a scheduled, on time fight, from Washington DC to Miami on Concorde.
A good friend of mine was the only passenger on a 747 "special" back to the UK during the Gulf war.

The other well known DC10 still flying is the ORBIS one but soon to be replaced with a MD10.

Last Passenger DC10 - sooty123
Likewise can't match three. Twice had ten on a flight, once a A330 and once on a VC10, mind you that was still pretty cramped.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Fri 21 Feb 14 at 03:00

Last Passenger DC10 - bathtub tom
>>I was one of only three people on a BA DC10

Pilot, co-pilot or steward?

I've a mental image of MJN air :en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabin_Pressure_%28radio_series%29

;>)

Last Passenger DC10 - R.P.
I flew with one of B Cal's DC10s twice....good aircraft for a passenger. It was packed though ! I remember a Private Eye cartoon at the time they were falling out of the sky left right and centre....

Tannoy announcement "This is you chaplain speaking"

Last Passenger DC10 Flight Report - Bromptonaut
An enjoyable and interesting flight.

Checked in and through security in time to see aircraft (S2-ACR) land off previous trip before proceeding to gate. Aircraft was parked on a remote stand at north side of main terminal along with no fewer than nine Ryanair 737s, presumably under utilsed during the off season.

Bussed out to stand about 40mins before departure. Within clear limits we were allowed to wander round the exterior and take pictures before actually boarding. Having booked a window seat I was allocated 11A in the second cabin section and well ahead of the wing and left engine.

Start up was a little late bearing in mind our noon STD and was effected using an external blower connected to ports on LHS of fuselage to get one engine running. Other two were started in usual way on push back. Safety briefing was preceded by a short Islamic prayer.

Take off was further delayed waiting for arrivals to land. Apprx 12:30 by time we lined up on runway 33 - taking off towards central Birmingham. I'd forgotten that 'bandsaw' noise early high-bypass engines made and how aware one is of them spooling up and down in stepped climb or descent. Route took us over what I think was Shropshire Hills/Welsh borders at around 16,000 feet. We then had a rendezvous with a Beechcraft 'chase' plane for air2air pictures. Flew a number of gentle 360 degree turns with flaps/slats and possibly landing gear deployed so camera ship could keep up.

Photo shoot complete slats were stowed as we set course back to Birmingham. Passed over what I think was Ironbridge area (is Madeley power station now out of use?) and down east side of Brum before a left hand 180 degree turn to finals, landing back on 33 where with some rapid braking we turned off without needing the last few hundred feet. The Islamic influence was there again with the 'we will shortly be landing' message including the phrase Insha'Allah (God wililng?)

Plenty of time for more pictures before being bussed back to terminal. Only shck was the £27 it cost to park. Next time I'll use the train or park at the station!!.

Found this bit on You Tube of the aircraft being prepared for its trip:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi2qv-wMPcc

Probably as well I didn't see it beforehand!!

Last Passenger DC10 Flight Report - sherlock47
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-26259236

A BBC obit.

Shildon - Pacifics on Parade. - Zero
www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=t59doh4Mnfk

The 6 together for the last time.

Shildon - Pacifics on Parade. - Dog
"No videos were found"

ooops

www.youtube.com/watch?v=t59doh4Mnfk
 Shildon - Pacifics on Parade. - Dog
Wonderful dog, and a very sad loss indeed but, there is a time for everything, alas.

Great locomotives, works of art really - I wouldn't mind owning one myself, like.

Shildon - Pacifics on Parade. - commerdriver
Just spotted at Darlington, on the way south, Union of South Africa returning to York with Mallard, rotten wotsits had stopped the other side of a bridge arch from my mainline train to Edinburgh so I couldn't get a pic.

Still looked pretty good to see an A4 in steam on the main line on a Monday morning, a good start to the week.

They will be through Thirsk at 12:13 and in York, Platform 10, from 12:52 to 13:02

Shildon - Pacifics on Parade. - commerdriver
>> They will be through Thirsk at 12:13 and in York, Platform 10, from 12:52 to
>> 13:02
>>
and I shall be in Edinburgh at 11:22 so will catch them, separately, another time. Meantime have my photos from Thursday at Shildon and have your video bookmarked, one of your best, thanks again.

Shildon - Pacifics on Parade. - swiss tony
This may be of interest to those with some spare pocket money....

www.corgi.co.uk/shop/corgi-direct/the-great-goodbye/

Hissing ants..... - Zero
Busy day today.

One for rob

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BeB-Vh771s

One for the nature lovers

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI9ATF2W688

And a composite

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsKIfYNCpBc

Hissing ants..... - R.P.
Thanks Zero - didn't get to see it until today !

Top 'n Tailed steam - Zero
Rare locos, Rare Configuration, rare route, Fantastic Fish ,n Chips in Whitby, and some spectacular noises all the result of a weekend road trip.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLqDURltbeY

Top 'n Tailed steam - Armel Coussine
Great footage Zero, chapeau.

I don't recognise the locos. But then I only really know the GWR, and that not well.

Top 'n Tailed steam - Dog
"You're in the way son" :-D

Nice video, and countryside, looks quite dry up in them there parts, could do with some propa Cornish rain!

Top 'n Tailed steam - Old Navy
Good videos Z. That is an impressive train set you have.

You need to watch out for the wildlife up in this direction. :-)

Top 'n Tailed steam - Zero
Middlesborough? pfft barely out of the midlands, didn't even need winter tyres.

Top 'n Tailed steam - Old Navy
I am convinced a councillor has moved into our street, we got gritted last night and no way is this a main or busy road, OK there was a frost (just) but gritting is a bit OTT. You only need winter tyres and 4X4 south of Watford. :-)
Last edited by: Uncle Albert on Mon 24 Mar 14 at 11:22

Top 'n Tailed steam - Duncan
>> You only need winter tyres and 4X4 south of Watford. :-)
>>

I am glad you realise that and are taking these things seriously at last.

Us poor Suvverners
 Big train bridge/viaduct at Reading - Focusless
Anyone passed through Reading on the west side recently (part of my commute 3x a week)?

They're building a mahoosive big bridge (actually they're calling it a viaduct) to allow freight trains to cross the main lines without causing disruption, or something like that. It just rises up from ground level and runs alongside the track for half a mile or so, with branches off to join the Basingstoke/Newbury line (I think).

Already looks pretty impressive, but I'm looking forward to seeing it in use. Will the trains need a run-up to get up the slope?
Last edited by: Focusless on Wed 2 Apr 14 at 20:57

Big train bridge/viaduct at Reading - Zero
www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/News-Releases/Reading-viaduct-reaches-key-milestone-1f1c.aspx

I was going to post that, but it's quite old - things have moved on quite a bit since November last year. Gives some background though.

Big train bridge/viaduct at Reading - Alanovich
>> Anyone passed through Reading on the west side recently (part of my commute 3x a
>> week)?

Yeah, I passed that way going to the Millenium stadium a few weeks back. Bored my travelling companions stupid with details of the project.

They're working through the night, have been for a good while now, the piledriving was the loudest thing. Clearly audible from chez moi. Good job I've decent double glazing.

Looking forward most to the new two-lane Cow Lane bridges being open. Will take a few minutes off the journey time to Lidl. :-)

Still plenty going on around the station too, and the best bit is the announcement of the extension of Crossrail to Reading. Electrification well under way on the main lines too.

EDIT: There's a new direct rail link to Heathrow coming too.

Bonzer. Now for some road investment, i.e. a third Thames bridge................
Last edited by: Alanović on Thu 3 Apr 14 at 10:58

>> Bonzer. Now for some road investment, i.e. a third Thames bridge................

We've got a Reading A-Z somewhere which IIRC shows the 329M continuing across the Thames, albeit only in dotted lines.

How depressing. Weirdly, I'd quite like to see that. Does it go straight over, or kink round a bit to the east before flying over the Thames? Where does it land on the dark (my) side?

Big train bridge/viaduct at Reading - No FM2R
As I recall it was due to show up around the bottom of Caversham Park.

It's back on the agenda again, the local MP has brought it up in Parliament and is pressing for an agreement with South Blasted Oxfordshire (those who resist all development), much to his credit. All due to the chaos we had with access to Sonning Bridge being impossible from the north during the recent flooding (at the same time as Whitchurch Bridge being closed for rebuild - a perfect storm for Caversham traffic).

I'm still not too hopeful mind.

>> I'd quite like to see that.

Not quite as I remembered, but:

link removed at author's request

EDIT: apologies if it appears portrait, I have rotated it in Photobucket
Last edited by: Webmaster on Thu 3 Apr 14 at 11:53

>> Not quite as I remembered, but:

(Edition 2B, 2000)

Cheers, that's where I thought it would have to go. The new proposal I think is looking at that exact route.

Big train bridge/viaduct at Reading - sherlock47
Focusless

be aware that it shows your full name and other photos!

ok JM - you have changed it! but you can still access all the other photos and details!
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Thu 3 Apr 14 at 11:39

Thanks Sherlock - don't think it used to do that...

I'll have a word with the mods.

BTW that was an account I set up especially for posting links to on here/HJ, so the photos all relate to previous threads.

Big train bridge/viaduct at Reading - Zero

>>
>> Electrification well under way on the main lines
>> too.

Not well under way. Was at Iver today, falling behind schedule.

>> Bonzer. Now for some road investment, i.e. a third Thames bridge................

No chance - all the bridge money went into the magnificent structure at Walton on Thames. Nothing to do with the transport minister being the constituency MP.

Big train bridge/viaduct at Reading - Duncan
>> No chance - all the bridge money went into the magnificent structure at Walton on
>> Thames. Nothing to do with the transport minister being the constituency MP.
>>

Quite right. Nothing wrong with that at all!

If you don't look after your own, who are you going to look after?

Latest Forum Posts