Non-motoring > Roku3 Video Streamer Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 9

Roku3 Video Streamer - Ambo
Can anyone please comment on using one of these? I believe it only arrived on our shores in October. Richer Sounds have never hear of it. My local PCWorld has it in stock but don't have much information on it. I have read the CNET review and it seems to have a lot more to offer than close rival Apple TV.
 Roku3 Video Streamer - Crankcase
>> and it seems to have a lot more to offer than close rival Apple TV.

No secret I have an Apple TV and use it. In what way is the Roku 3 offering more?

From this review, it looks as if it offers rather less (no Itunes movie/music store, no tv programme store).

reviews.cnet.co.uk/video-streamers/roku-3-review-50012422/2/

If it's better in some way I've not identified, I want to know! It's nearly Christmas.

Roku3 Video Streamer - CGNorwich
Well it has BBC iplayer which has got to be a big plus. I have Apple TV and the lack of iplayer is definitely an issue. I currently access iplayer via the wii box or mirror from the ipad.
 Roku3 Video Streamer - Zero
I'd wait till someone has cracked the £9.99 Sky Now Tv box (a Roku 2 I think)
There is this, admittedly from Roku's point of view and maybe including a lot I don't need:

www.roku.com/Roku-vs-AppleTV?gclid=CKjexqqa-LoCFYUewwodBXwAWA

Also the operation of the remote without line of sight being required (useful for my setup) and facility for plugging earphones into the remote.

Ah, yes, sorry, I'd forgotten I long since put the jailbreak on my Apple tv so have iplayer and a zillion other things. Forgot the standard thing doesn't do iplayer.

I borrowed an Apple TV on Monday and used it through my Wi-Fi for about three hours on each of Monday and Tuesday evenings, mostly on Netflix. I thought the definition was a bit inferior to that I get via my HUMAX Freesat PVR. The icon texts were too small to make out easily.

The Netflix catalogue seemed inferior to Lovefilm's. Most of the other services were of little interest to me. The classical music selections were of the humdrum Classic FM "All the music fit to broadcast" type, although the sound was clearer than from Freesat, and better balanced dynamically. I don't need an iPlayer. I decided I would not buy an Apple TV and disconnected it.

Just as well; I got a warning email from BT this morning telling me I was about to exceed my monthly 10GB allowance, the first time I have ever received such a notice. The call centre confirmed a big increase was found on the two days. I imagine the lender has an unlimited tariff.
 Roku3 Video Streamer - Focusless
I splashed out £10 on a Sky Now TV box a few days ago, which I believe is a Roku underneath? Waiting for it to arrive. Includes a month's free Sky Movies which might be handy over the Christmas break.

Box has all the on-demand players except ITV, so an improvement on our TV which only has iPlayer.
 Roku3 Video Streamer - CGNorwich
The most useful thing about Apple TV is the ability to stream your music collection and photographs and video to your TV and sound system from itunes. I agree Netflix has a poor film collection and Apple TV it desperately needs BBC BBC iplayer. I think there is some sort of wrangle between Apple and BBC which has prevented this happening.
>> The Netflix catalogue seemed inferior to Lovefilm's.

Horses for courses. Here is a page comparing the two in the UK, and they think that Netflix has the bigger catalogue. It depends on what you're interested in of course.

I have both, and watch them on a whole bunch of devices on a regular basis - I think I use Netflix more.

thenextweb.com/uk/2013/08/06/netflix-vs-lovefilm-instant-this-is-the-on-demand-streaming-service-you-should-subscribe-to/

Edit: Don't know about Roku, but my AppleTv allows you to trivially set it up to stream American Netflix.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 11 Dec 13 at 11:46
Latest Forum Posts