Will it record MPW?
 How fast is your typing? - Westpig
>> Will it record MPW?
>>

What's that?
 How fast is your typing? - Runfer D'Hills
Well,if WPM is "words per minute"...
 How fast is your typing? - Fenlander
31 WPM no mistakes... better than expected.
 How fast is your typing? - Dog
19 WPM and one miss steak.

I've been on-line for 12 years now but I'll never get the hang of SeƱor qwerty.

Gimme a Fender Strat or a Gibby 335 and I'll show you where it's at, man.
 How fast is your typing? - Lygonos
46 wpm but 7 mistakes - my fingers tend to mash adjacent keys on this laptop.
 How fast is your typing? - sherlock47
>> 46 wpm but 7 mistakes - my fingers tend to mash adjacent keys on this
>> laptop.
>>

What happens to your prescriptions? Does it keep the pharmacist busy dispensing the correct quantityies?
 How fast is your typing? - smokie
45, 4 mistakes. I tend to bash stuff in then depend on spell checker to highlight errors.
SWMBI: 39 and 3 mistakes ... used to be 60 when she was doing 'that sort' of work.
 How fast is your typing? - Fullchat
22WPM and 3 mistakes according to them.
 How fast is your typing? - Armel Coussine
27. 3 mistakes alleged, but only two made. Quicker than I expected after 3 drinks.

If you write on a keyboard as I do, long pauses are normal. Then you bash down a few words and correct the mistakes you've made. I did that three times in the sample job for example.

Going back and changing stuff is what takes the time. My professional speed is 1,000 - 1500 WPD (a D being anything from 4 to 20 hours long).

Computer has made everything easier and weakened the hands and fingers (although the electric typewriter started that process), without increasing typing speed.
 How fast is your typing? - RattleandSmoke
51 wpm with 2 mistakes. My mother and sister who are in the room next door were talking very loudly so I was very distracted but probably only as much as I would be in a work place.

I spent more time reading the passage then typing it though, when typing something like this I am much much faster than 51wpm.
 How fast is your typing? - Lygonos
I type notes while I'm talking to patients - can generally type as fast as I talk when it's coming out of my head.

And the great thing is that other people can actually read it.

I just miss the ability to do wee diagrams of chests, abdomens, skin lesions, etc that I could do when we had paper casenotes - means I need to remember the anatomical terms for body parts...
 How fast is your typing? - VxFan
My speed was: 40wpm. I made 4 mistakes.

You can't even cheat and copy, paste. I tried and then got 4004wpm and 104 mistakes.
 How fast is your typing? - hjd
39 wpm; no mistakes.
 How fast is your typing? - BiggerBadderDave
3,712 wpm

50 mistakes
 How fast is your typing? - BiggerBadderDave
414,451 wpm.

3924 mistakes

Wow, fast that's fingering
21 and 3 - not bad given I only use my index fingers and one thumb.
I have never learned how to type, but while most 11 year olds were out kicking a football about I was there typing in programs on my C64! Now I am 31 while other people my age are busy making babies I am typing on a motoring forum.
 How fast is your typing? - MJW1994
LOL. Plenty of time yet, 31 isn't old.
At 31 I'd never typed anything. I think I was 34 when I was given a company laptop to use and at that time didn't even know how to switch it on never mind do computery stuff.

Prior to that, if you were even slightly good at anything they used to give you a PA for that sort of thing. Mine was called Karen. I'd still like a Karen. Made a cracking cup of tea did Karen. Always brought a plate of digestives too.

Not found a laptop yet that could do either of those things.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Thu 28 Nov 13 at 22:09
Was Karen could at anything else or did you never have the pleasure of finding that out?

Sorry in a funny mood, keep getting told one of my cousins is having a baby and I am starting to feel a bit old and long in the tooth!
 How fast is your typing? - MJW1994
The boss gets cross with me if I do typing or photocopying, there's a girl to do those menial tasks (his words). My time is more expensive than her's he tell me. The girl is called Hazel, a 50 yr old battleaxe that no-one argues with.
 How fast is your typing? - CGNorwich
Funny how things "improved" over the years as far as getting things typed were concerned.

When I first started in an office we had a short hand typists who took dictation twice a day. These were replaced in the seventies by a dictaphone with a blue belt sort of thing on which a recording was made like a vinyl record. We then progressed to magnetic tape machines. Later these were dispensed with and we had to write out documents for typing in long hand.

Computers then arrived with WANG word processing we were given an hour or two tuition and told to type the stuff ourselves.
 How fast is your typing? - smokie
"Computers then arrived with WANG word processing we were given an hour or two tuition and told to type the stuff ourselves."

I used to work for WANG, supported software including WP. Good to hear the old name again.

And yes, I had a company car...
 How fast is your typing? - swiss tony
>> My speed was: 40wpm. I made 4 mistakes.
>>
>> You can't even cheat and copy, paste. I tried and then got 4004wpm and 104
>> mistakes.
>>

Oh yes you can!
Copy, the paste into notepad.
Remove the commas that are formatted into the example, then recopy, and paste into the test!
 How fast is your typing? - BobbyG
>>I type notes while I'm talking to patients - can generally type as fast as I talk when it's coming out of my head.

That is one of the reasons I am looking to change my GP.

He is an elderly Indian GP and you really need to focus on him when he is talking to you, almost lip reading him due to his strong accent. But whilst doing this he also types into his computer, one key at a time with his middle finger whilst his face is about 6 inches away from the keyboard.

Am sure he must have a good enough pension built up that he could just retire and enjoy the rest of his life!
 How fast is your typing? - R.P.
Mrs RP gave Zero a thrashing...61wpm no errors...! Game on.
 How fast is your typing? - Zero
>> Mrs RP gave Zero a thrashing...61wpm no errors...! Game on.

must be the girl to do those menial tasks!

Not my words you understand - That MJW fella said it.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 28 Nov 13 at 23:23
 How fast is your typing? - rtj70
If that was my GP - I'd change. He sounds too old and his English is no longer good enough. Maybe his English would have always concerned me.

But I have a good local medical practice and fortunate I guess.
You guys... these computer keyboards take no muscle. I used to envy people who took to them easily and rattled away on them as if following the beat of a Charlie Parker piece on the table.

Office typewriters before electricity... some of those typing pool girls must have developed stranglers' hands. I used one for years. And steam telex, with an electric motor whirring away inside and these little delays, the machine really only able to work at one speed chak chak chak chak chak about five or six to a second... if you weren't in time with it the keys came back up mechanically and bruised your fingers. You make a punched paper tape and then feed it through again down the phone line, lots of opportunities to break or twist the tape, aaargh... Try writing a 500 word hot news piece from the middle of nowhere on one of those.

Not that I'm complaining. It was fun in a way, in retrospect.
 How fast is your typing? - helicopter
27 wpm and 5 alleged mistakes ..... I never got the hang of proper typing as I always had a secretary to do the work for me before computers came ......

.....so now I use two fingers........ and take many pauses to consider , check and revise what I say.....

I suppose AC and I are from the same pre computer era , what with the Diplodocus for sale this week it seems there are quite a few old dinosaurs hanging around around in Sussex......
 How fast is your typing? - Crankcase
Only one mistake - reading the text. Now I'm going to have to plough through Anne of Avonlea. Thanks.

I liked the message I got though. "To succeed, you must first attempt. Try again".

Almost as good as "Trying is the first step to failure".

Last edited by: Crankcase on Fri 29 Nov 13 at 09:08
I'll confess now why this amused me. I started off in the IT game, many years ago, before the terms "Word Processor" or "IT" had been invented, pounding the streets of London and the west end, with a bag of tools, fixing Electric Typewriters. Both of the Typebar type, and the famous GolfBall type - which included those attached to mainframe computers as the output console.

The scariest part of the job, as a young, overpaid, handsome (permed hair ala Martin Shaw) well dressed (think 70s flairs, kipper tie, tulip collar shirt, wide lapel, two button double vent suit jacket) was facing the huge London Typing pool. I came out of there with my backside black and blue and my balls well tweaked. Never short of opportunity, stationary cupboards, toilets, and once even the phone box on the corner with the typing pool leering through the office windows.

Electric typewriters were everywhere. I fixed them in the houses of Parliament, Buckingham and Kensington house, Lambeth Palace, theatres, every major company in the world with a presence in London,

I did the dictating machines, the dictating systems, primitive word processing machines with magnetic cards, magnetic tape, magnetic belt loops, including composing typesetting machines where I frequently had to cross flying picket lines. Traveled on foot, by tube, by bus and by black cab. Been within spitting distance (enough to feel the blast wave) of IRA bombs twice.

For a young lad, it was the dream job of jobs.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 3 Dec 13 at 12:47
 How fast is your typing? - sooty123
I came out of there with my backside black and blue and my balls well tweaked.

Now there's an odd turn of phrase. You make it sound kinky. ;-)
>>
>> my backside black and blue and my balls well tweaked.

Electric typewriters were still fairly new though Zero, so those typing pool women still had the stranglers' hands they would have built up on manually-powered office typewriters.

IBM Golfball was a fantastic product, US consumer engineering at its fabulous best. I used one for years, but with a fabric tape because those plastic ones were a nuisance and expensive. Huge heavy thing with a little memory in it so that if you outpaced it by typing a word or two very fast, which I often do, it would carry on typing by itself in a charming dogged way...

When I first saw one I thought it a vainglorious engineering principle, and that ordinary wear would soon start to loosen the ball and make it inaccurate. But that just didn't ever happen to my knowledge. Chapeau Gringos!
 How fast is your typing? - Mapmaker
"Your speed was: 78wpm.

Congratulations! You made no mistakes, practice does make perfect."

Best thing I learned at school was touch typing. A sixth form option course- on Amstrad PCWs (remember those?!). I can type far faster than I can think.
>> "Your speed was: 78wpm.
>>
>> Congratulations! You made no mistakes, practice does make perfect."
>>
>>
>>
>> Best thing I learned at school was touch typing. A sixth form option course- on
>> Amstrad PCWs (remember those?!). I can type far faster than I can think.
>>
And you have to peel your own spuds too. God life must be hard since you lost the servants.
Being able to produce a report more quickly on my own than with help is surely progress! I could never see the point in using a dictation machine as the process of writing, taking to secretary, awaiting the returned document with lots of [recording indistinct] and references to "cedar fences" when I meant "sea defences" which then had to be written in by hand.

Interestingly though, I use the dictation function on my iPhone a lot, and think it's super. I can still type more quickly though on a real computer.
 How fast is your typing? - Fursty Ferret
>> "Your speed was: 78wpm.
>>
>> Congratulations! You made no mistakes, practice does make perfect."
>>
>> Best thing I learned at school was touch typing. A sixth form option course- on
>> Amstrad PCWs (remember those?!). I can type far faster than I can think.
>>
>>

^^ Wot he sed.

I can remember hours of utter tedium sat in front of "Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing" at school. Useful at uni, not so much now!
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Fri 29 Nov 13 at 10:16
>>I can remember hours of utter tedium

Funny, I rather enjoyed it. It's the competitive element in me; I wanted to be the fastest and best in the class, so I did!

45 minutes twice every seven school days for a term; plus some practice at home.

>>Useful at uni, not so much now!

Of almost no use at University; very useful now.
Just did it again ... 18 WPM this time and 3 mistakes.

[must try harder!]
 How fast is your typing? - sooty123
I managed 28 wpm and 3 mistakes. Pretty good for me.
 How fast is your typing? - NortonES2
29wpm, 3 mistakes. Thought I'd be even slower.
Yeehaw! - I'm up to 20 WPM and no mistakes ... some texts are easier than others, I see.
 How fast is your typing? - Mike Hannon
Oh dear, I couldn't even get beyond the first couple of words. It reminded me of the nightmare period 30 years ago when my typesetter pals and I had to retrain from the designed-for-speed 90-key Linotype hot metal linecasting machine keyboard to the typewriter qwerty layout with unit shift for capitals. The company contracted for the training had to get us from 0 to a 'clean' 35wpm in 15 two-hour sessions before we were introduced to computers. It worked but the experience was horrendous - one bloke threw his electric typewriter across the room one afternoon. It took ages to discover that I was having trouble with Q, A and Z because my left-hand little finger is shorter than the right!
Back along I spotted a big Facit machine like the one I used at a car boot sale and I went hot and cold just looking at it.
Learning shorthand at nearly 40-years-old was much easier.
I can still type at well over 60WPM but you'll have to take my word for it.
One of the reasons I use a Mac is the qwerty keyboard. Sit me down at a French PC with Azerty keyboard, with accented characters on the top row and all the figures on shift and I'm at screaming pitch in seconds.
Proper machinery, Mike.

www.domusweb.it/en/design/2012/02/06/machine-love.html

How fast is your typing? - Cliff Pope
36 WPM 4 mistakes.

But it's a completely false test. After a couple of lines I just tripped over myself and started typing rubbish, ploughed on a bit correcting the mistakes and then gave up.

The score gives a totally false impression of my typing abilities. 36 WPM means a constant speed, kept up for long enough to type a page, or an essay. Two lines and then collapsing is just rubbish. No one would hire me.
 How fast is your typing? - Mike Hannon
Thanks so much for that MM.
Here are some of my pals who went through the brainwashing process described above. The one in the middle is still there - now 'head of graphics studio' or somesuch. We had a meet a month or two ago.
www.flickr.com/photos/64660965@N03/11115635813/

I'm now a volunteer guide at a papermaking and printing museum near Limoges. A local firm gave them a machine and I'm the only one they know who can work it!

Last edited by: Mike Hannon on Fri 29 Nov 13 at 12:09
 How fast is your typing? - DP
Your speed was: 64wpm.

Congratulations! You made no mistakes, practice does make perfect.
 How fast is your typing? - movilogo
78 WPM with 2 mistakes
 How fast is your typing? - Clk Sec
:-)
 How fast is your typing? - Roger.
One finger only, so no chance.
Latest Forum Posts