Non-motoring > Court of Appeal tv Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 22

Court of Appeal tv - Crankcase
I see today the very unpleasant Philpott case is going to the Court of Appeal.

Whilst I have no interest in watching that one, I also see there's been a lot of hoorah recently about the proceedings of the Court now being televised.

The thing is - where do you see it? It must just be me but I'm jiggered if I can find who is broadcasting the tv feed and what the schedules are.

I've seen a few Supreme Court judgements on Youtube - which of course aren't live, and found them interesting.

Anybody know?
 Court of Appeal tv - Bromptonaut
So far as I can ascertain there is no live feed. Rather, proceedings are recorded and made available to the broadcast etc media who decide wht actually goes out. Not all court rooms used by CoA are equipped for TV but no doubt the potential media interest will be a factor in deciding which cases to allocate to the equipped courts.

www.gov.uk/government/news/landmark-day-for-justice-television-broadcasting-in-courts-goes-live explains a bit of the background.

The first day of availability saw extracts in the news including David Cameron's QC brother appearing for one of the parteis.

Inevitably, media interest will focus on criminal cases of greatest notoriety. Phillpot may well be first to clear that hurdle.
 Court of Appeal tv - Crankcase
Oh goshdarn it. Oh well, thanks for that. I'll have to find some other entertainment for the long winter nights then.
 Court of Appeal tv - rtj70
The Philpott CoA video stream is live now if you look around the Internet for it.
 Court of Appeal tv - Cliff Pope
>> Oh goshdarn it. Oh well, thanks for that. I'll have to find some other entertainment
>> for the long winter nights then.
>>

Did you hope it would be live, with the TV audience voting on the performances and sending the contestants down? :)
It is live if you can find a feed like the Philpott one that's on now, e.g.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/10482789/Watch-Mairead-Philpotts-appeal-hearing.html

You'll have to watch an advert first for this one. Underlying feed seems to be Ooyala for this one. But it must be elsewhere. Spotted this when reading the Telegraph online earlier.

Edit: Also a video stream here:

www.nottinghampost.com/LIVE-VIDEO-Mairead-Philpott-8217-s-appeal/story-20239130-detail/story.html
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 29 Nov 13 at 11:52
 Court of Appeal tv - Zero
>> Oh goshdarn it. Oh well, thanks for that. I'll have to find some other entertainment
>> for the long winter nights then.

How about Judge Judy?
 Court of Appeal tv - Duncan
Brompy, is today your last day?
>> Brompy, is today your last day?

Indeed.

Handed in my laptop this morning and now in process of clearing last bits of stuff off my desk. Been down to atrium for 30 mins for a chat with a former colleague. Then meet my mate Jackie at one tube station and my family at another before adjourning to PUB!!

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 29 Nov 13 at 14:42
 Court of Appeal tv - No FM2R
Enjoy your last day Bromp.

Court of Appeal tv - Alanovich
Enjoy your first day, Bromptarooney.
 Court of Appeal tv - Duncan
>> >> Brompy, is today your last day?
>>
>> Indeed.
>>
>> Handed in my laptop this morning and now in process of clearing last bits of
>> stuff off my desk. Been down to atrium for 30 mins for a chat with
>> a former colleague. Then meet my mate Jackie at one tube station and my family
>> at another before adjourning to PUB!!

You'll bee sorreee!
>> You'll bee sorreee!

What about? Going to the pub or taking redundancy? If the latter I doubt he'll regret it - I assume he'll have a healthy payout even after tax. And then can find something else to do - perhaps selling Brompton's :-)
 Court of Appeal tv - Zero
>> >> Brompy, is today your last day?
>>
>> Indeed.
>>
>> and now in process of clearing last bits of
>> stuff off my desk.

Its called the bin.
 Court of Appeal tv - Dutchie
Court of appeal allright,they should have been hung what they did to the children.Wasted tax payers money..
 Court of Appeal tv - Armel Coussine
There's no real indication that they wanted to burn their children Dutchie. The motives for their arson haven't really emerged. The reason they have been sent down is that arson is regarded as a very serious offence because it can so easily turn out as that one did.

The very first clip of them wringing their hands after the fire made me want to hold my nose. But we don't hang people in this country merely for being despicable and detestable.
 Court of Appeal tv - Armel Coussine
>> Brompy, is today your last day?
>>
>> Indeed.

One is sometimes recommended to live as if every new day was going to be your last... but I gather that in this case it is just your last day of wage-slavery.

Happy semi-retirement Bromptonaut, if that's what it is. Will you miss the morning joust with the eager-beaver car, van and truck commuters? I still feel I've come home when I find myself lane-skipping along Marylebone/Euston Road, although I wouldn't fancy it on a pushbike especially in morning rush hour.
 Court of Appeal tv - Mapmaker
Good luck, Brompton.
 Court of Appeal tv - Robin O'Reliant
Mrs Brompt will be having fantasies about burying the frying pan in your head after a couple of weeks of having you under her feet.
 Court of Appeal tv - Westpig
>> Mrs Brompt will be having fantasies about burying the frying pan in your head after
>> a couple of weeks of having you under her feet.
>>

Yes, I can confirm that my Ubergrupennfuhrer got to that sort of stage.

To start with I thought retirement was wonderful...but it soon turned to boredom. I found myself washing the car every day.

I'm now busier than ever..and prefer it that way.
 Court of Appeal tv - Roger.
I'm happy doing nothing much and have been since I started drawing the OAP.
Just got in from London after a thoroughly good night at the Cheshire Cheese in Little Essex St. Legal London was my working home for 33.5 of last 35 yrs and remains the bit of 'town' I love best.

As well as current and recent colleagues it was great to see Janet who I worked with from 79-81 and who brought along some piccies of the office from that era - when I was twentyish.

No doubt about The Lad's parentage; you could 'shop in in to those snaps and not tell the difference.

Mrs B is indeed burnishing the fry pan in case i get under her feet. Future work needs to be planned around that but as Janet, who trod the same path 18 months ago reminded me, I need to be realistic about just 'picking up' work.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 30 Nov 13 at 02:44
 Court of Appeal tv - Pat
Best of luck to you Bromp!

My experience was more like WP's though and despite telling myself that hanging my Scania and Pat name plates on the doors of my greenhouse and shed respectively, I was bored.

I missed my mates, the banter and suddenly my world became a very small place to be.

My old boss saw this and suggested I did something about it.

It took a bit of courage to go self employed, buy equipment, get my qualifications and take what at the time, seemed like a leap of fate, but I love it.

Four years down the line I still miss driving like mad and get itchy feet, but it is the next best thing and far better than sitting around getting old and grouchy all day.

Pat
Latest Forum Posts