Non-motoring > help me avoid food poisoning... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: borasport Replies: 36

help me avoid food poisoning... - borasport
Im half way through roasting a chicken and the oven has died.

SWMBO is out and her and her mate suggest finishing it in the microwave. Its a 2.5 k chicken stuffed, I'd normally be looking at 2 hours in the oven and it's just had 1 hour - any shafts of wisdom ?
 help me avoid food poisoning... - rtj70
Ask your neighbour to use their oven? Not sure I'd risk microwaving a chicken meant for roasting.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 30 Nov 13 at 17:33
 help me avoid food poisoning... - Runfer D'Hills
Got a chip pan or other vessel deep enough to immerse it in hot oil and deep fry it? ( Yes I'm Scottish )
 help me avoid food poisoning... - Meldrew
Get the meat off the carcase, dice it up, heat it in a wok and eat with savoury rice
Last edited by: Meldrew on Sat 30 Nov 13 at 17:43
 help me avoid food poisoning... - Zero
>> Get the meat off the carcase, dice it up, heat it in a wok and
>> eat with savoury rice

^^^^^^^^^

Wot he said
 help me avoid food poisoning... - Armel Coussine
But fry it in the wok, don't just heat it if it's only half-cooked.
 help me avoid food poisoning... - Meldrew
Well yes. I did think that anyone who cooked much would realise I meant use oil and cook in a wok as opposed to heat dry! >;)
Well the microwave manual & cookbook (c)1987...

gives a cooking time on low thats just 10 minutes short of what it was getting in the oven, so it's had an hour in the oven, its getting and hour on low in the microwave, in 20 minute bursts

I'll miss the crispy chicken skin, rubbed with salt,pepper, paprika and dark soy.....
 help me avoid food poisoning... - R.P.
Wok. Now.
 help me avoid food poisoning... - Roger.
That happened t'other day with us, just as SWMBO was about to put in a batch of 18 dinner rolls!
We cooked 'em in our little portable LIDL 50 Euro oven we bought back from Spain.
We keep in the shed for grilling, as a grill in a regular oven stinks out the kitchen.It was raining so I dashed in and out with half a dozen rolls at a time dodging the drops.
If your oven needs replacing try these people:- ao.com/ovens/ovens.aspx
We ordered on-line from them on Wednesday late on: delivered before 9am the following Friday. Impeccable service. Decent prices. We bought this:- tinyurl.com/oxgqcx6
and so far are well pleased with it.
Usual disclaimers!
If the oven has stopped heating, a good chance it is just the element. A cheap fix. And depending on model/design quite easy.
Element in mine went earlier this year. Part cost 24 quid and took 15 minutes to fit.
I can imagine it is easy to assume an oven which has stopped working is beyond repair. I think the element in ours was actually cheaper but the fan housing needed removing and was a bit of a pain to do. Easier to call my friendly/local repair guy. I think I paid about £40 and he brought the right part - so no danger of me getting the wrong thing.

I then realised that a lot of other oven problems were easy and cheap to fix... he also solved/sorted another minor problem with the grill element needing fastening to the top of the oven properly as well.

I'd not rush out to buy a cheap oven to replace ours for sure. Better to keep it going.

Not heard from borosport.... he can't be ill yet surely. I hope the meal goes well.
>> I think the element in ours was actually cheaper but the fan housing needed removing and was a bit of a pain to do. Easier to call my friendly/local repair guy. I think I paid about £40 and he brought the right part - so no danger of me getting the wrong thing.

Ours was like that too. The filth! After doing it once I too decided the professional was a better bet, coûte que coûte.

It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan.

(A Belloc Cautionary Tale about some prat who blows himself up or sets the house on fire by messing with the gas, something of that sort)
 help me avoid food poisoning... - CGNorwich
"about some prat who blows himself up"

It's Lord Finchley and "it is the business of the wealthy man" not "duty". (we've already had this exchange about a year back. ;-)
Guh... how annoying. I probably said that last time too.
 help me avoid food poisoning... - Cliff Pope
>> I probably said that last time too.
>>

You will, AC, you will. :)
Still alive at tthe moment, missing the crispy skin and despairing of her who comes in saying 'I wouldn't have done that'
I'm guessing it is the element, fuse looks ok but haven't got a 30amp spare to swap out. On the other hand, on/off indicator has packed up, oven interior light has packed up, oven clock has stopped.We'll see tomorrow
>> oven interior light has packed up

Couple of quid at most and even available in your local supermarket. Standard fit.

EDIT: Of course if you don't buy a new one and it packs up before the Christmas dinner is finished cooking....
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 30 Nov 13 at 21:18
Couldn't you have Waitrose deliver a cooked chicken, or if really pushed pop to Sainsburys and buy one I suppose? Or why not just use the AGA dear boy?
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 30 Nov 13 at 21:25
 help me avoid food poisoning... - Manatee
>> Couldn't you have Waitrose deliver a cooked chicken, or if really pushed pop to Sainsburys
>> and buy one I suppose? Or why not just use the AGA dear boy?

That's not the point, which was to eat the chicken that had already been bought and paid for!

What doesn't kill you...
Ah yes, I remember you mentioning you were from Yorkshire...

;-)
I didn't like to mention it again:)
Understandable of course, but don't be too embarrassed, most of us now know at least some northerners and realise that a few of them are actually ok despite their tortured vowels and brusque manners.

;-)
 help me avoid food poisoning... - sooty123
>>most of us now know at least some northerners

And are privileged to do so.

and when you're wrong we'll let you know, for free as well.

;-)
 help me avoid food poisoning... - Ted

The fan wasn't going round very well on ours and jingling on the ' safety mesh grille ' . I took the grille off and the nut fell out........seemples ! 30 minutes of trying to screw it back on and trying a selection of different nuts brought me to the conclusion that the thread on the shaft had gone.

OK...order a new fan motor from EBay. Three days later I was admiring a nice spanking new motor complete with fan.......about £20 delivered.......result. I tried the nut off the new fan, 'cept I couldn't get it off ! Massive engineers brain kicked in after a while......try 'tother way with the spanner. Off it came.......ruddy left hand thread.

The old fan went back on the, as yet, un-removed motor and the original nut screwed on easily and tightly !

I now have a new spare motor....Nuppet !

Ted
>> >> oven interior light has packed up
>>
>> Couple of quid at most and even available in your local supermarket. Standard fit.
>>

And the clock? broken too? And the Indicator light? that gone as well?

Its a general power failure in the oven.
 help me avoid food poisoning... - Slidingpillar
Electric cookers quite often have a separate supply and fuse - or even better a MCB (miniature circuit breaker).

Have a look at the fusebox/distribution unit if all appears dead.
Starting to add up. Failing element causes short, takes out fuse. So it could still be the element.
Happens...
>> Its a general power failure in the oven.

I'd read those faults to be separate and previous to this. For example, our oven would not heat up but the fan would run, grill and top oven worked, etc.

After borasport survives this microwave meal I am sure he will post more. If the oven is beyond economic repair, I'd suggest something other than a BEKO.
 help me avoid food poisoning... - Pat
>>If your oven needs replacing try these people:- ao.com/ovens/ovens.aspx<<

I can vouch for them too Roger.

Excellent service and very hard to beat prices.

Pat

PS I'd have chucked the chicken and had a take away...what better excuse not to cook?
I'm still here and not yet googling salmonella
The oven clock stand at 6:35 still, but then again its never been right.

I'm hoping the popping sound from the area of the oven when it went suggests it was the element. Its on its own fuse on the rcb, but who carries a 30amp spare?
Of to b&q shortly
No point in going to b&q, its not the fuse.....

There is a double switch on the wall - on/off for the cooker and on/off for a 3pin socket - the socket is live with the fuse in place and dead with it out.

Any ideas, or am I looking at a new oven ?
you need to get the oven out and attack it with a voltmeter, and a bit of fault finding nous.

Ie
what was working on it before the pop, whats not working after the pop, take the element out and look at it (when they go they usually melt a hole in it somewhere)

Does the cooker have its own internal fused circuits,

etc etc.

If you don't feel confident with that lot, its a new cooker or a repairman.
 help me avoid food poisoning... - Cliff Pope
I'd just have put it away for another day, and then made sure to cook it really well.

Bugs and food poisoning are all in the mind, combined with a liking for properly cooked food, not seeping blood and slime.
 help me avoid food poisoning... - Ambo
I've eaten many half-cooked chickens at meals offered by Chinese hosts with no ill effect. They like it that way and one had to be careful not to offend, even if it meant eating the revolting, sharks' fin and birdnest soups, to say nothing of "sea slugs".
Latest Forum Posts